PDA

View Full Version : You want me to take off what???

Tina B.
02-25-2009, 12:45 PM
Yesterday, I went to the doctors, for an EKG, just a routine test for an old person. The nurse, that I have known for a few years now, tells me to "remove my shirt, and if you are wearing them, your pantyhose"! Now I have never been there in femme, so I told her "I refuse to remove my pantyhose"!
She had trouble getting the machine to work, and after running 4 EKG, she had to call in the doctor to see if he could figure out what was wrong, the first thing he says walking into the room,"maybe it's the pantyhose". Now I had to lay on that table, and try to keep a straight face while they finished there test, If only they knew! Or do they?
Tina

JoAnne Wheeler
02-25-2009, 01:01 PM
What color pantyhose were you wearing ? Did they look good on you ?

That's all that counts.

JoAnne Wheeler

pamela_a
02-25-2009, 01:09 PM
just a routine test for an old personSince you admit to being older....are you sure you just didn't forget you were wearing pantyhose? :)

I have the medical people I see regularly trained. I have a wound on my leg which I get debrided weekly. The techs all know I need a minute to take off my pants and pantyhose before they start.

-Paula-

Sally2005
02-25-2009, 02:50 PM
I'm not sure I got the full story... I assume you were in drab 100% and they were just making a joke... could be an inside joke, perhaps there is a new directive that instructs them to ask every patient the same questions and they don't expect it to be true, but ask anyways to see what reactions they get. Maybe it was the skip in your step or something... :)

Sharon B.
02-25-2009, 03:28 PM
New one on me also.
A couple of weeks ago I removed my nail polish on my toenails in the morning before going out and cleaning the yard up from an ice storm that we had.
In the early afternoon I had to go to the ER for an x-ray on my ankle and I was glad that I had removed the nail polish.
I thought I had broken it but it only turned out to be a bad sprained ankle.

Angie G
02-25-2009, 05:08 PM
Next time wear a pair so you can take them off.:hugs:
Angie

trannie T
02-25-2009, 05:42 PM
As you are of a certain age they may have been referring to your support hose.

Shannen
02-25-2009, 06:21 PM
silly, you really DO need to take off your pantyhose for electrical tests to run properly!

:hugs:

Nicole Erin
02-25-2009, 06:58 PM
As you are of a certain age they may have been referring to your support hose.

what a smart ass :heehee:

Beth785
02-25-2009, 07:14 PM
I guess I'm confused. Were you or were you not wearing hose? You never said, but you implied that you were when you said you refused to remove them.

Now, if you were wearing them, why would you refuse? The doctors are there for your benefit. If you don't do what they suggest, you might as well not go.

StephanieC
02-25-2009, 07:21 PM
silly, you really DO need to take off your pantyhose for electrical tests to run properly!

:hugs:

Wait...is that true? You need to remove pantyhose for EKG? Any other items of clothing cause a problem with any other equipment?

Nicki B
02-25-2009, 07:32 PM
You never heard of static? :whistling:

KristinSkye
02-25-2009, 07:36 PM
Now thats funny!

Tina B.
02-25-2009, 07:58 PM
No, no, no! There where no pantyhose, as I said, I always do drab for the doctors! Just seems to be an in house joke. And yes If you where wearing them they would have to come off, they have to put electrical leads on both of your calves.
And I might be getting old, but if I do wear hose they are going to be sheer, thank you very much!
Tina

Christinedreamer
02-25-2009, 08:07 PM
Stockings or pantyhose would be a problem for a full EKG as there are ground contacts placed on the legs just above the ankles and pantyhose would prevent the electrical connection.

Obviously bra straps (or marks/ tan lines) would also be noticed during an EKG or stethoscope exam.

It would be fun to go en femme that way though and give them a little bit of a chuckle.

You know they talk about us.

CD Susan
02-25-2009, 09:59 PM
I had an EKG two weeks ago and was never asked if I was wearing pantyhose. All of the electrical connections were on my chest and none were on my legs. This was the second time I had an EKG and the previous one was done the same way.

LeslieSD
02-25-2009, 10:51 PM
A few years ago, I was to see a doctor. Because it is not a physical, so I went wearing pantyhose thinking it would not be necessary to do something. Well, during the test the doctor needed to check the nerve response of my knee (you know, kind of tapping the place below the knee cap). So he had me roll up my pant legs. When I was rolling up (and I believe he thought it was long socks), he finally asked "How far up does it go?" And I said "All the way". He ended up tapping through the pantyhose, and we never said another word about it. I guess doctors have seen it all.

Lesley Ann
02-25-2009, 11:48 PM
My Doctor is also a friend. I have an on going medical problem which means I have regular chest examinations, during the past eighteen months or so, I have developed breasts (36B) recently my Doctor was sounding my chest, but instead of placing the stethoscope squarely on my chest, he placed it on the side, he then felt both breasts, looking directly at me said "I think you may have a hormone imbalance" I then had a blood test which indeed showed such an imbalance, and tomorrow I am having a scan. I am waiting for him to ask the whys, where's and how questions. As someone has already said Doctor's have seen everything, my only concern is that our relationship is a friendly one, which for some reason makes feel embarrassed.:o
Lesley Ann.

Niya W
02-25-2009, 11:52 PM
Only time I had electrodes on my legs for and EKG Iwas being taken out in an ambulance :( .

docrobbysherry
02-25-2009, 11:55 PM
Another old timer here. I forget I'm wearing those nude, sheer to the waist pantyhose all the time! I always think I remember shaving that morning! :doh:

Could happen to ANYONE, really!:brolleyes:

Oddlee
02-26-2009, 12:01 AM
Stockings or pantyhose would be a problem for a full EKG as there are ground contacts placed on the legs just above the ankles and pantyhose would prevent the electrical connection.

Obviously bra straps (or marks/ tan lines) would also be noticed during an EKG or stethoscope exam.

It would be fun to go en femme that way though and give them a little bit of a chuckle.

You know they talk about us.

Yeah, I'm sure they do. I had a heart attack last summer while on a bike ride - a serious ride, I guess, in spandex and wool. As the doctors stripped off my riding shorts (to insert a catheter in my femoral artery and implant a stent), one made a comment about my "Lance Armstrong shorts."

The more surprising comment was from a nurse, as I was being released four days later. She made some comment about "no matter what gender people think they are, they have heart problems related to their 'real' gender." I'm not sure where this came from; I shave my legs, but many cyclists and/or swimmers do that, and I'm both. Anyway, it was an amusing puzzle.

Lee

bimini1
02-26-2009, 01:02 AM
This is what I call 'spirits'. You meet in life the exact reproduction of your own thoughts. You attract certain energies based on who you are and what vibes you are putting out.
People will say things to your face that speaks to you even though they think they are just joking.
I've seen this happen too many times to count.

Christinedreamer
02-26-2009, 01:36 AM
CDSusan,

There are different types of EKGs taken depending on what they are looking for. The in-depth variety uses ten electrodes - 8 on the chest area and 2 on the legs.

My brother-in-law just had one 2 days ago at Kaiser in preparation for major surgery.

kellyanne
02-26-2009, 03:15 PM
In addition to the effects of static electricity of the calibration of the machine - the compression of the pantyhose on the legs will ater systolic and diastolic blood pressure measurements.

This is why sedentary and other patients on blood thinners may be prescribed leg stockings in addition to medications to inhibit clot formation.

Rest assured there are solid scientific clinical reasons for the request they made - your best health.

Tina B.
02-26-2009, 03:26 PM
In addition to the effects of static electricity of the calibration of the machine - the compression of the pantyhose on the legs will ater systolic and diastolic blood pressure measurements.

This is why sedentary and other patients on blood thinners may be prescribed leg stockings in addition to medications to inhibit clot formation.

Rest assured there are solid scientific clinical reasons for the request they made - your best health.

I agree with Kelly Anne, but lest we forget, there where no pantyhose, it was just meant as a funny comment!
Tina

SherriePall
02-26-2009, 04:16 PM
Tina-- Those inside jokes will get you every time, especially if you are, in their eyes, the least likely one to be wearing pantyhose.
Couple of years ago, I had vascular surgery on my one leg. Among the things listed not to do before the surgery was "no nail polish." Fortunately, it was summer and I hadn't had any on in a while. But I thought what effect would that have? And, if I had been rushed in and was wearing polish, would they have noticed and removed it?

Tina B.
02-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Tina-- Those inside jokes will get you every time, especially if you are, in their eyes, the least likely one to be wearing pantyhose.
Couple of years ago, I had vascular surgery on my one leg. Among the things listed not to do before the surgery was "no nail polish." Fortunately, it was summer and I hadn't had any on in a while. But I thought what effect would that have? And, if I had been rushed in and was wearing polish, would they have noticed and removed it?

I know what you mean, I had a bypass a few years ago, and was told to pre-prep by doing my own shaving, and to shave off everything, So I did, now I understood the chest, and the legs, but why the arms and the space in the middle?
And what could nail polish have to do with anything, it's not like it is going to rub off?
And that is the funny thing, I come off rather masculine even if I don't want to, so the comment caught me off guard, I am sure they never gave a thought that I might be wearing pantyhose.
Tina

lingerieLiz
02-28-2009, 12:25 AM
And what could nail polish have to do with anything?

General indication of your oxygen levels. It's not the nails, but the color of the tissue underneath. Some believe that it can interfere with the oxygen saturation monitor which clips over the end of the finger.

Tina B.
02-28-2009, 03:29 AM
Liz, thank you that makes scents, the nail polish thing had me scratching my head!
Tina