PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic nail report

Julie
06-20-2005, 06:59 PM
I have to admit, when I went to the salon for the acrylic nails I really didn't think they would last. If you aren't used to long nails you're bound to do something where you jam them, knock them against something or simply forget you have them and break them off, accidentally, of course.

Well, I have certainly have put them to the test. I can't tell you how many times I did something and thought, "Uh oh, there goes one!" But so far not one lost nail. It's amazing!

I removed the polish from the salon and put on a polish to match my lipstick and then took it off later just in case I got a visit on Father's Day (good thing too!) I polished them again last night. I know polish remover can weaken the nails but so far they are all still on. I'm becoming attached to them (no pun intended) and am now dreading the day when I have to remove them. I love them! I can be almost totally in guy mode but as long as I have my nails I feel good.

Anyone who is going to spend some time en femme I recommend heading to the salon and getting a full set. You'll never regret it. Except maybe when you're typing :rolleyes: which I am getting better at, I'll have you know.

Anyone need a secretary? :D

JoAnnDallas
06-20-2005, 07:06 PM
I decided to get my nails done professonaly, so my sister is taking me to her nail salon. I don't have goon nails. They split, crack, and peel. I use clear nail polish but decided to see if a pro could do better. I am temped to ask her to shape them more on the fem side and mabey even ask her for a polish that has a little color in it. I'll have to see when I get there. This will be my first time at a nail salon. Werid thing is my sister DOESN'T know about my CD, but she is OK with me going and getting my nails done.

Fallen Angel
06-20-2005, 07:15 PM
just get a fill in every two weeks and you wont have to part with them i had mine done about 2 months ago, and had the french tipp done,wish you the best with your xxooxx

Holly
06-20-2005, 07:29 PM
Angel's right about the fills. I've had my acrylics on now for over two months and haven't broken one yet. I also keep them polished with a clear coat (except when I'm dressing, of course). And as they grow out, I just file 'em down and shape them the way I want them:) . Julie, I just have one question... why would you have to take them off +?

DanaJ
06-20-2005, 07:36 PM
Well, you know I would have to post to a nail thread :D I have had my gels on for almost a year now, and every Friday night go for a nail appointment. You definitely get used to them over time - I know I would not want to be without them now.

Holly, if your acrylics are the same length as your natural nails, be careful when you file the free edge down. When you do that, you break the seal, and that will eventually allow water and junk in, which you definitely don't want.

DanaJ

Julie
06-20-2005, 08:40 PM
, I just have one question... why would you have to take them off +?

To do guy things. I'm in construction and when a job calls the nails have to go. :(

Holly
06-20-2005, 09:43 PM
Holly, if your acrylics are the same length as your natural nails, be careful when you file the free edge down. When you do that, you break the seal, and that will eventually allow water and junk in, which you definitely don't want.

DanaJThanks, Dana. I usually wait to file them just a day or two before i go in for my fills. Hasn't been a problem yet... but thanks for the warning!

Holly
06-20-2005, 09:49 PM
To do guy things. I'm in construction and when a job calls the nails have to go. :( Julie, if they're not too long you might still be able to keep them on. I done everything from dig ditches to run a jack hammer with mine. As you have discovered, they are amazingly tough. Just a thought. And as an aside, no one at work has noticed I'm wearing them... or if they have, they haven't said a word. There's over 70 guys in my department, three of which I supervise directly... and four girls in the office.

DanaJ
06-21-2005, 04:44 AM
I agree Holly - I am in construction too (steelworker), and I do heavy work every day. My gels are definitely longer than a guy would have, but I just try to be a bit more careful.... no way am I taking them off!

Holly has a good point Julie, how long do you have them, and can't you just make them a bit shorter? 1/4 inch of free edge is not really long, but still keeps a nice feminine length....

DanaJ

Julie
06-21-2005, 03:05 PM
Holly has a good point Julie, how long do you have them, and can't you just make them a bit shorter? 1/4 inch of free edge is not really long, but still keeps a nice feminine length....

DanaJ

They are at least 1/2" past the fingertip right now, pretty obviously feminine. And they're shaped femininely too. Even if I took the polish off I doubt anyone would miss them.

But you gave me food for thought. When I get the call to return to work, I'll start filing. :(

Marla GG
06-21-2005, 04:16 PM
I'm becoming attached to them (no pun intended) and am now dreading the day when I have to remove them.

Julie girl! If you knew what it felt like to have them removed, you would be dreading it like nobody's business. It HURTS! If they do it for you in the salon, they pretty much pry them off. If they're nice and not in a hurry, they'll pry off little tiny pieces instead of large sections. Still, it feels like some kind of torture. Some manicurists are kinder and gentler, and/or have a better technique, than others. You can also remove them by soaking them in acetone for a long time, which is painless, but that tends to be messy and doesn't always get everything off.

I agree that you should consider keeping them and just filing them down a bit if you have to....but my experience has been that after about 2-3 months and several fills, the salon will want to remove the old ones anyway and start fresh with a full set. Ow..... :cry:

Just warning ya!

DanaJ
06-21-2005, 05:00 PM
Marla - as someone who has had acrylics removed several times, and has known lots of nail techs - I have never heard of any professional nail tech prying off acrylics! They must not be licensed, and should be drummed out of the nail tech business!

Of course, soaking the nails off with acetone is the best and really only methid for removing acrylic nails. If anyone here ever goes to a nail salon for removal, and they try to pry off the nails, contact your state health board immediately.

Sorry to get all fired up about this, but that is just so wrong that anyone would do this in this day and age.

DanaJ

Marla GG
06-21-2005, 05:17 PM
Marla - as someone who has had acrylics removed several times, and has known lots of nail techs - I have never heard of any professional nail tech prying off acrylics! They must not be licensed, and should be drummed out of the nail tech business!

Of course, soaking the nails off with acetone is the best and really only methid for removing acrylic nails. If anyone here ever goes to a nail salon for removal, and they try to pry off the nails, contact your state health board immediately.

Sorry to get all fired up about this, but that is just so wrong that anyone would do this in this day and age.

DanaJ

Really? OMG! I've been wearing them on and off for about 10 years, been to many different nail salons, and that's the only way they've ever done it. I thought it was normal. I've heard so many other women mention it too. Maybe it's a regional thing? Here in Sacramento area, nearly all the nail salons are owned by Vietnamese families (a recent article in our newspaper said over 80%) and they all seem to do it the same way, with minor variations in technique. The technicians are licensed, too--they have to display their credentials at their station. :confused:

Do you think it really is a health hazard? You've got me worried now Dana! The acetone thing....the one time I tried it, it took about an hour and I still had to deal with leftover residue.

Boo hoo....so I've suffered needlessly all this time? Oh well, I'm glad you told me!

DanaJ
06-21-2005, 05:27 PM
Marla - PM sent :)

DanaJ

Julie
06-25-2005, 04:59 PM
I had to do something!

Even though I loved the length of the nails they screamed GIRLY! and doing anything in guy mode would have brought attention to them. Since I got them a week ago Thursday I've been living pretty much full time but not venturing out of the house much except to enjoy the nightlife. No, I am by no means liberated and I don't believe I can pass. And as soon as I speak, it's over. So going out to do regular things, like grocery shoping, was being put on hold and supplies were dwindling.

So I had to cut them down or starve! This is how they looked polished and before trimming:

https://home.comcast.net/~julimarie/images/6-05/nails1.jpg

Then last night I cut them down to a less obvious length. They are still long for a guy but at least I'm not self conscious about them attracting attention. I left the pinkys a bit longer (can't destroy all evidence of being girly!) And if you're wondering why I did it on a Friday instead of a Sunday it's because I've been in girl mode for over a week and weekends don't have any special meaning at the moment.

https://home.comcast.net/~julimarie/images/6-05/nails2.jpg

They only have a clear topcoat on them in the pic above and don't attract attention like the claws I had before. If I go out tonight I'll polish them and see how they look.

No matter, they still look much better than the short, beat up nails I had before the acrylics. My real nails suffered a lot with gluing fake ones on and trying home acrylics and were still breaking and splitting all the time. So I'm appreciating that being solved and having something to polish when I go out. :D

spaskinstyle
06-25-2005, 05:24 PM
Julie,

You mentioned something about not being able to pass. I know there is much more too it than just looking the part but Sweetie, you are beautiful. Your makeup is absolutely fabulous in your avatar and your hair is cute too. I can only imagine with some good walking and practice with your breathing for your voice, you would do well.

Love to you,

Theresa

Tristen Cox
06-25-2005, 06:32 PM
Dang Julie those look just like my hands, GIVE 'EM BACK! :D :thumbsup:

DanaJ
06-25-2005, 06:39 PM
Julie, I think your nails look great in the more squared off look :thumbsup:

DanaJ

Julie
06-25-2005, 07:48 PM
Dang Julie those look just like my hands, GIVE 'EM BACK! :D :thumbsup:

Oh shoot! I got caught! :eek: How long ago did you notice them missing? :shh:

Julie
06-25-2005, 07:51 PM
Julie, I think your nails look great in the more squared off look :thumbsup:

DanaJ

Thanks Dana, I know that's the style now but for some reason I just love the more pointed look. I think it goes back to when I was a kid when all the stylin' ladies had them. :D

Julie
06-25-2005, 07:58 PM
Julie,

You mentioned something about not being able to pass. I know there is much more too it than just looking the part but Sweetie, you are beautiful. Your makeup is absolutely fabulous in your avatar and your hair is cute too. I can only imagine with some good walking and practice with your breathing for your voice, you would do well.

Love to you,

Theresa

Thanks Theresa. I think part of the problem is my perfectionist attitude. I see all that is masculine and don't even try to pass by walk, talk or gestures but I always try to make sure clothes, makeup and hair are as good as I can get them. At times I have pulled it off but I don't put myself in that situation often enough to gain any confidence.

Make sure you get someone to get a pic of your Victor/Victoria character tomorrow. I won't be there but I'd love to see your outfit.

DanaJ
06-26-2005, 04:46 PM
Julie (and anyone else who wonders about acrylic nail removal), I just posted a new thread in the Beauty Club, showing a step-by-step guide to acrylic nail removal with close-up pix.... hope it helps :)

DanaJ