PDA

View Full Version : Wonderful time in NYC en femme

LeslieBird
02-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Just got back from NYC, and want to report that it was wonderful! I dressed rather conservatively -- well anything is conservative for NY -- in a mid-thigh cord skirt, VS turtleneck, tights and brown suede boots, all in shades of brown. I actually felt I blended in. I went to a t-girl bar one night, but another night I actually threw caution to the winds and ventured out more broadly. I had a wonderful time at a piano bar -- where the customers were mixed straight and gay. I was the only t-girl, but that didn't matter, in fact I got lots of compliments! I even went to a couple of completely straight bars -- and once again got a good reception. No stares, no negative comments. Mostly people didn't seem phased by me at all, and many were fascinated.

For the most part, I know I did not 'pass' -- at least to anyone who focused on me closely. But one girl in a straight bar asked me for a cigarette, and engaged in some other small talk before she even noticed I wasn't a genetic girl. She looked me over and said I had a really feminine face. Amd she loved my outfit -- "you ROCK those boots" she said.

This was Greenwich Villiage, and other parts of NY are different. But I felt completely comfortable going anyplace there, fully dressed, without a problem. (I even took a few taxis!). If you want a fun experience I recommend it!

suchacutie
02-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Can you let us know what places you visited?

:)

tina

LeslieBird
02-25-2009, 04:47 PM
The best was the "Duplex" on Christopher St. -- a great piano bar. As I said it was a mix of gay men and straight couples, all completely accepting. The Monster Bar across the street is also fun.

Nicki B
02-25-2009, 05:11 PM
In February? The first time I went to NYC (Feb 2004) it was f-f-f-freezing...

Didn't stop me doing the Empire State, though, like any other grockle. :D

But, just do ordinary places? You'll be accepted anywhere, certainly in Manhattan, IME. :)

If you want some contacts, next time talk to CDI (http://www.cdinyc.org/).

LeslieBird
02-25-2009, 05:15 PM
I was like a popsicle. One night I wore sheer pantyhose. Incredibly cold. Tights the other night were more sensible -- and actually I think helped me blend. Probably because no sane girls were wearing sheer hosiery!

Angie G
02-25-2009, 08:57 PM
that's so cool Leslie glad you enjoyed yourself.:hugs:
Angie

JoAnne Wheeler
02-26-2009, 08:52 AM
Just BLEND in with the crowd - even if you don't PASS, who cares - I can't

imagine that in NYC that this would be unusual and I doubt that in NYC, no

one cares anyway.

JoAnne Wheeler

jenniferj
02-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Isn't it a great city! And nobody seems to care.

I started telling this story last summer, but the family things got in the way and JJ went back into the closet (or at least 11 tucker totes moved up to the attic...) - sigh.

Dear Wife and I drove down on Saturday afternoon ( me in suitable summer capris and light top with an overblouse.) Stpped at a highway rest stop in CT; had to pee - first trip to a public ladies' room (no one noticed)

Got there late in the afternoon - stopped by the cloisters and walked around - several people "made" me, but then went about their business.

Unloaded bags at hotel; Sweet Wife checked in while I parked the car at a garage. Obviously made by the attendant, but he didn't care. Walked back to hotel (1 1/2 blocks) into the (small) hotel lobby - which was filled with girl scouts on a field trip. We had to wait 20 minutes to get into the very small elevator to ridee up to our room. No one giggled or pointed or stared.

Napped for a few minutes, took a shower, shaved, and redid my makeup. Long knit dress (raspberry) with matching heels (way too much heel to walk far in). White shawl (although it was much too warm). Definitely not casual.

Elevator down, stopped at a drugstore for quick snack food (I took too long getting dressed to stop for dinner before a broadway show). Wonderful wife grabbed us a cab which dropped us off at 42nd street. Nobody seemed to notice. Stood outside theatre for a few minutes, then went in and sat down - the theatre was filled with people from out of town (it was obvious) who probably thought I was part of the entertainment.

Walked acroos the street after the play to a pretty nice restaurant where We were greeted "good evening, ladies" and seated near the door - in a prominent place. The waiter was courteous and helpful (although he did slip once and call me "sir" when Chicken Wife asked me to select the wine) He was doubly sure to treat me as a lady for the rest of the meal...

Walked three blocks to catch a cab back to the hotel (my feet were KILLING me - Darling Wife was amused) took a cab back to the hotel, grabbed a paper at a newstand, and up to bed.

Nobody was rude, mean or unpleasant. It was the most wonderful time I have had as JJ!

More to follow (if anybody cares)!

-jj