PDA

View Full Version : Things that make passing possible

LeslieBird
02-25-2009, 04:55 PM
I know that completely passing is probably never going to happen -- but I do know that sometimes I do better than other times. Here are some things I think make a difference -- I'd be interested in what you have found...

1. Skirts too short. A dead giveaway. I wear short skirts, but never too short if I want to be in public.
2. Brunette rather than blonde. Who doesn't what to be a blonde -- but it screams fake.
3. Perfect eyes and eyebrows. I agonize over eyeliner and over brow shape. It seems to make a difference. I've found that the less eyeshadow the better -- darker and bigger eyes are not good.
4. Conceal the back and shoulders. I am top heavy and know it -- if I really want to blend I wear a cape.
5. Reasonable boobs. Not too large.
6. If I am in a completely straight environment, such as a mall, I'm spotted less often. I think people don't see what they aren't looking for. "Alternative" neighborhoods are impossible to pass in, but then again they don't care how you are dressed anyway.
7. Smiling. I can make most suspicious eyes change mood by flashing a smile. I suspect GG's have known this for years.

Karren H
02-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Yeah!!! Those are good... If passing is important to you... But then there's that attitude that says you belong there dressed as you are.... Which in my book makes up about 95% of the pasability equation...

Bethany_Anne_Fae
02-25-2009, 05:08 PM
Yeah!!! Those are good... If passing is important to you... But then there's that attitude that says you belong there dressed as you are.... Which in my book makes up about 95% of the pasability equation...

Yes yes and YES on this one tip ;)

Mkaes all the difference.

*hugs*

Zarabeth

LeslieBird
02-25-2009, 05:09 PM
Very true -- in fact before I go out I remind myself that it really doesn't matter if I pass or not. Yeah its nice, but its also nice to be appreciated as myself. That makes it more fun, less scary and puts it in perspective

Niya W
02-25-2009, 05:12 PM
I've found its easier to pass when you are confident and dont care.

Sarah...
02-25-2009, 05:16 PM

Yep! This is the one!

Sarah...

paulaN
02-25-2009, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by niya blake View Post
Yep! I have to agree with that one too. It also makes it a lot more fun if you have that attitude. keep on gurlen sista's

Marjory
02-25-2009, 06:32 PM

Confidence overcomes most anything. Staring people down helps too.

Nicki B
02-25-2009, 06:36 PM
Genetic girls break all the rules on your list?

The difference is, they don't even consider the possibility that anyone might think they're not who they think they are? Try that confidence for yourself..

Cristi
02-25-2009, 06:58 PM
The tips I try to keep in mind:

1) Dress your age. Yup, that means no catholic school girl outfits out to the mall, even if you ARE a young-looking 50!

2) Dress appropriate to the time/location. Formal evening wear and 6" heels at the mall? Super short mini skirt to go to the grocery store? Dead giveaways.

Unfortunately, 'dressing appropriate to the location' in these parts often means jeans and a sweatshirt. :( :( Yuck. But I can still 'blend' in a more casual skirt, pull-over jersey, casual shoes without looking too out of place.

Niya W
02-25-2009, 07:00 PM
The tips I try to keep in mind:

1) Dress your age. Yup, that means no catholic school girl outfits out to the mall, even if you ARE a young-looking 50!

2) Dress appropriate to the time/location. Formal evening wear and 6" heels at the mall? Super short mini skirt to go to the grocery store? Dead giveaways.

Unfortunately, 'dressing appropriate to the location' in these parts often means jeans and a sweatshirt. :( :( Yuck. But I can still 'blend' in a more casual skirt, pull-over jersey, casual shoes without looking too out of place.

Drives me nuts see folks in PJs at the grocery store . I can do jeans but sweat shirt yuck

marie354
02-25-2009, 07:01 PM
Just simply relaxing and acting naturally with lots of smiles seems to be good for me.
I guess that is what karren does.

I always had a dream of being a girl, and now I've got my chance.
I'm basically the same person, just not hiding who I am anymore.

Relax... Just do it.

AngelDelight
02-25-2009, 07:02 PM
Think my height would possibly be my main problem i'm 6ft 3
Angela

celeste26
02-25-2009, 07:04 PM
One can ask oneself whether the lack of confrontation is the same as passing? I suspect that it is not.

There is something called political correctness that forbids people from making confrontations over issues like this and while most people simply dont care, others who do notice wont say anything anyway because they dont want to create an issue.

Some people just are not "PC" and therefore like to start these confrontations, but they are few and far between thankfully and someone like us who does the CD thing can go a long way before coming upon someone who is this way.

Being "passable" and actually being confused for a woman are two different things entirely.

Beth785
02-25-2009, 07:25 PM
While I know that complete passing is never attainable (I won't lose sleep at night over that one), I still try to make at least a reasonable presentation. For me, that means brunette (my natural hair color), knee length skirts (I HATE shorter skirts on me!), and makeup that matches my complexion. But, that's what makes me happy. For everyone else, just have fun! Isn't that the point of anything?

Deborah Jane
02-25-2009, 07:32 PM
Here are some things I think make a difference --
1. Skirts too short. A dead giveaway.

Oops

2. Who doesn't what to be a blonde -- but it screams fake.

Oops again

3. darker and bigger eyes are not good.

Yet more Oops

Big Oops

I think i'll give up on the passing idea then!!!!

Hope
02-25-2009, 07:44 PM

The difference is, they don't even consider the possibility that anyone might think they're not who they think they are? Try that confidence for yourself..

Can a Sister get an Amen?

Kimmie
02-25-2009, 08:33 PM
I saw this on an episode of CSI Miami. The key plot point was that women in Miami don't wear pantyhose unless they are hookers or from out of town. This might be good to remember in places with very warm weather.

txrobinm
02-25-2009, 11:58 PM
I saw a CDer at the zoo the other day, she was with spouse (presumably) and son (about 6 or 7). I spotted her (him) initially because the femme mannerisms were overdone, then I noticed the shoulders, the shaved legs, the voice. I wouldn't have looked twice at the height (over 6'2" or so), tall women are often seen here. Don't overdo the mannerisms, ladies! GG's just aren't that prissy these days.

docrobbysherry
02-26-2009, 12:09 AM
1. Help from my fairy godmother.

2. A Genie coming from my wine bottle with 3 wishes.

3. Help from the Good Witch of the South. AND the Ruby slippers!

4. Mind altering drugs! ( For everyone, or, just me).

5. Last but not least; if all of the above don't work, dress like a crazy person and see if I can pass in my mirror!

Lorileah
02-26-2009, 12:22 AM
But...but... I am blond. And I have the legs for short skirts. As noted we will usually have a hard time passing no matter what. I know TS's who are transitioning who will look like a guy even after surgery. I know CD's who slip in without a second glance. I also know GG's who look like a guy too. As stated act like you know what you are doing and no one really cares.

Paulette
02-26-2009, 01:24 AM
Passing is all a state of mind, if you do not care and just act like the rest of the females on the planet you will go un-noticved most of the time. Worst thing you can do is get with a large group where some of the gurls do not put in the effort to look their best. Walk like a duck dress like a duck and you will be thought of as a duck.

Kate Simmons
02-26-2009, 07:31 AM
I always get a kick out of the supposed obsession that CD's are supposed to have about "passing". As opposed to what? "Failing"? "Failing" what? Being ourselves? Seriously, if the goal is to "pass" we are doing it for the wrong reason.:)

JoAnne Wheeler
02-26-2009, 08:42 AM
If you really want to PASS out in public - then dress to BLEND in - not to

stand out and call attention to yourself. If we were to see a GG who was

blonde and wearing a really short skirt and was made uo to the nines, we and

everyone else would be starring at her. Just try to BLEND in.

JoAnne Wheeler

Sarasometimes
02-26-2009, 08:46 AM
A lot of great tips and comments. I think smiling and dressing to blend. A mall trip on Saturday needs to be a more casual look than one on a weekday. On weekdays you will see women dressing in skirts and siuts with heels and pantyhose, rarely on a weekend.
I agree that a outting without confrontation is what I strive for since I can pass muster, beyond a quick glance. The don't be too prissy is a big one as well. Years ago I had my colors done and the woman also claimed to teach body language and poise but her advice was so over the top I only did one session 9 wish I could get that $$ back). If I was trying to do a Marilym Monroe or Betty Boop imitation I would have gone back.

jruiz
02-26-2009, 08:55 AM
4. Mind altering drugs! ( For everyone, or, just me).

:laughing:

Maybe if I go to a bar when everybody else is already drunk, I could pass!

A friend of mine used to say "there is not ugly women, just not enough beer"

Sara Jessica
02-26-2009, 09:16 AM
A lot of great tips and comments. I think smiling and dressing to blend. A mall trip on Saturday needs to be a more casual look than one on a weekday. On weekdays you will see women dressing in skirts and siuts with heels and pantyhose, rarely on a weekend.

I totally agree with this. Two outings last week, one Tuesday and the other on Saturday. I did a rare thing and broke out a skirt outfit during the week, a look which happened to blend perfectly, but wore leggings instead on Saturday during the day in order to blend in a little better with the weekend-outdoor mall crowd.

Senban
02-26-2009, 09:18 AM
Unless you are blessed to a high standard with a feminine appearance, the chances of "passing" i.e. being confused for a female are mega slim. The trick isn't to "pass", the trick is to be accepted for who you are.

Wear what's appropriate to the situation, act naturally and with a quiet comfortable confidence in yourself and people will (in my experience) accept you very quickly.

LeslieBird
02-26-2009, 10:12 AM

Thinking about this, while confidence is very important, its not the same for GG's. There's an element of illusion that we need if we want to 'pass'. Not the same for GG's.

Also -- I agree completely that passing is not the end all. Sometimes its not even a consideration for me. But sometimes it is a goal -- even for a moment to be seen as female. Its part of the fun. I don't know why. I don't know why I do any of this.

Sally2005
02-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Hold your head up high... (there is a video called 'transgeneration' on youtube and although the one TS is out, she walks around slumped over...not too helpful to her image).

Smile, but don't grin and believe to yourself that you belong.

Be confident...if someone reads you don't run and hide...unless they are chasing you.

Jess_cd32
02-26-2009, 11:45 AM
If I were to ever venture out I think I'd skip the blonde hair also and go brunette, it does attract more attention being blonde. Eventually though maybe blonde but for the first few times no. The micro mini's I love would also be abit longer but I'd still show off my legs alot:)
Not planning on this anytime soon though, I'm still one of those can't wait till Halloween types:doh:

Niya W
02-26-2009, 11:55 AM
Out here its not un comon to see a 5'10" 5'11"

LeslieBird
02-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Out here its not un comon to see a 5'10" 5'11"

Or even a 5'12" (where I am). I honestly find height not an issue. The problem is broad shoulders frankly for me.

jenniferj
02-26-2009, 01:11 PM
1. If you are with another woman, it is much easier to pass (or at least not be noticed)

2. My "cover story" is that I am a real estate agent - they always dress nicely, and they always smile. I try to dress the way that they do, which allows skirts and reasonable heels in the daytime. Think Annette Benning in "American Beauty"

3. If you dress in a way that would get a GG noticed, you will attract the same lingering glances that thet do - but something will eventually give you away. Most people don't look closely - unless you invite them to.

4. But as everyone else has said, don't TRY to pass. To quote Bear Bryant after a freshman scored a TD and danced around the endzone, "Act like you've been there before" (actually this has been attributed to several coaches, but it seems to fit him best)

5. Choose places where it doesn't matter if you do pass...and be pleased with whatever smiles are returned.

-jj

KarenS
02-26-2009, 01:23 PM
I saw this on an episode of CSI Miami. The key plot point was that women in Miami don't wear pantyhose unless they are hookers or from out of town. This might be good to remember in places with very warm weather.

I guess I will need to remember to take lots and lots of pantihose next time I go to Miami then. :GD::jumping::lol:

Niya W
02-26-2009, 01:42 PM
its warm for panty hose .

I spent a week looking st women in the malls . I notice that yes most women dont look like they stepped out of a magazine cover . So quiet few younger girls dressed that were heavy set trying to show skin. Saw a few that wore stuff that look like it was a reject from some fashion school I came to the conclusion that I just need to be happy with me . SO I'm bit heavy who cares its not like I'm going out to meet my next wife . IF I pass I pass. I If I dont just keep your mouth and hands to your self . Yes I'm trans , yes I'm out in public. If you have a problem with it , its strictly your problem. Dont try and make it mine .

Nicki B
02-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Thinking about this, while confidence is very important, its not the same for GG's. There's an element of illusion that we need if we want to 'pass'. Not the same for GG's.

Depends what you're trying to 'pass' as, doesn't it? :strugglin

Also -- I agree completely that passing is not the end all. Sometimes its not even a consideration for me. But sometimes it is a goal -- even for a moment to be seen as female. Its part of the fun. I don't know why. I don't know why I do any of this.

Why not just try aiming to be yourself? Speaking for myself, I'm not a man - I'm not a genetic woman, either, but the general public seem to have no problem in treating me as female, even though no one would think I was born one?

But my point is, lose the 'fear' of being 'read' - and paradoxically, people will read you less, because they won't pick up on the fear and guilt, which just attracts attention? :)

Christie ann
02-26-2009, 02:19 PM
I was thinking I pass better in a blinding snow storm or perhaps a sand storm..thick fog perhaps?

LeslieBird
02-26-2009, 04:54 PM
Depends what you're trying to 'pass' as, doesn't it? :strugglin

Why not just try aiming to be yourself? Speaking for myself, I'm not a man - I'm not a genetic woman, either, but the general public seem to have no problem in treating me as female, even though no one would think I was born one?

But my point is, lose the 'fear' of being 'read' - and paradoxically, people will read you less, because they won't pick up on the fear and guilt, which just attracts attention? :)

Who said anything about fear of being read? I don't fear it -- I accept it and ususally assume it. But is there anything wrong with wanting sometimes to be perceived as a real female? Why is that bad?

StevieTV
02-26-2009, 05:00 PM
I remember last summer I was grocery shopping and there was a gg in a tight, very short dress. Everyone was looking at her. Yes it was a genetic she.

Nicki B
02-26-2009, 05:30 PM
Who said anything about fear of being read? I don't fear it -- I accept it and ususally assume it. But is there anything wrong with wanting sometimes to be perceived as a real female? Why is that bad?

Leslie, I was trying to make a general point, it wasn't aimed just at you..:battingeyelashes:

What I'm suggesting is unhealthy is an attitude that you're trying to 'pretend' or to 'fool' people (I'm not suggesting that's true of you) - when you do that, apart from anything else, it makes it hard to succeed?

Whereas it's perfectly simple to pass as yourself - you should have have enough years practice ;) - but some seem to find it hard to accept themselves as transwomen?

LeslieBird
02-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Sorry if I sounded sharp. I agree completely -- trying to "pass" obsessively is a problem. I see it as one aspect of the whole thing.

sherib
02-26-2009, 06:06 PM
That's why I can go out in public. Short skirts, fish net nylons and 4" heels at Radio shack is a little too obvious don't you think? LOL

jazmine
02-26-2009, 11:51 PM
SPOT ON LeslieBird! ......spot on..............

tamarav
02-27-2009, 08:08 AM
First, you have to define passing. I won't even attempt to tackle that one. I have no idea how some of you define it.

But, as an experiment, I wore PJ bottoms, slippers, a t-shirt, minimal makeup and a long straight brown wig to my local WalMart (where I would never go properly dressed) and walked through, shopped and bought a few items and not one person looked at me. I just shuffled through and mixed with the throngs of humanity that shopped there.

So, if your wishes are to simply pass, look like everyone else, as dreadfully dull as that sounds.

Helen Raines
03-07-2009, 05:33 PM
If you really want to PASS out in public - then dress to BLEND in - not to

stand out and call attention to yourself. If we were to see a GG who was

blonde and wearing a really short skirt and was made uo to the nines, we and

everyone else would be starring at her. Just try to BLEND in.

JoAnne Wheeler

Blending in lets me feel the most femme and lets me enjoy my time in a skirt ,heels and makeup much more than being stared at.At least make someone wonder...not burst out laughing.

Helen

Sherry-Stephanie
03-07-2009, 05:41 PM
I've read a few of the comments and all are but and I'll put in my .02cents worth....

"Passing"??? being "accepted" all good....however, if you'r being a human being and kind with another...."priceless"...ddn that usually will get you a lot father than anything else...regardless of how your dressed.....

JMHO....YMMV.

Lainie
03-07-2009, 05:54 PM
I met a pre-op TS (she told me) once, and I wondered why she would consider genital surgery. Without major shoulder-reduction, and maybe spine-shortening plus facial surgery, no one would ever mistake her for a GG, even on a moonless night across a crowded freeway. :sad: As the song says, "if it wasn't for bad luck, wouldn't have no luck at all".

marny
03-07-2009, 11:35 PM
disqagree with 1. agree with 2 agree with 5. nic4 post TY,marny

Super Amanda
03-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Last night at the grocery store, there was a woman, with her 2 young kids, there who was most certainly a dancer. She was beautiful, but dressed too sexy for the store. In a strange way, its almost like she was not passing. What I mean is, though there was no doubt what gender she was, she did NOT fit in with the crowd. EVERYONE was looking at her, and I felt sad for her for some reason. If she toned down her make up and wore a little looser clothes, she would've blended right in.

Sam-antha
03-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Stop it, please. Just how to ggs ever get to go out with any confidence ? Amanda's girl in the store was just what she was,..... a girl being looked at while on her way to somewhere else. Just like us girls,
~Samm

Nicki B
03-08-2009, 07:48 PM
...she did NOT fit in with the crowd.

So?

Why should she have to? Difference should surely be celebrated, not feared.. The world would be very boring, otherwise. :sad:

Linda Laman
03-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Agree with all your points. I learnt the hard way. The first time I went out I wore a miniskirt (the one in my picture), a bright pink top and baby pink high heel platform shoes. My goodness did I get some attention - fortunately I was in Bangkok and most of the attention came from the motorcycle taxi guys and tuk tuk drivers who thought it was enormous fun. From then on I was much more particular choosing more modest skirts and shoes. One should try to blend in rather than be a standout. Pick the clothes to suit the occasion.

joann07
03-08-2009, 09:01 PM
I would to add that if you're going to wear short sleeves, tanks, or sleeveless tops you have to get rid of the farmer's tans. Women don't normally have them and that is a dead giveaway. You can use the sun to even it out, but you can also use tanning sprays.

Hugs!

Super Amanda
03-08-2009, 09:33 PM
So?

Why should she have to? Difference should surely be celebrated, not feared.. The world would be very boring, otherwise. :sad:

Like I said, she was beautiful, and If I was that fabulous, I would try to be sexy all the time as well. My point, Nicki, was that girls get attention based on how their dressed. I think its relevant.

Nicki B
03-09-2009, 07:47 PM
EVERYONE was looking at her, and I felt sad for her for some reason. If she toned down her make up and wore a little looser clothes, she would've blended right in.

Plenty of people are quite happy not 'blending in'. You seem to strongly imply that she needed to, and I think that's trying to put restrictions on people that shouldn't be necessary?

Comments like that usually say more about the mindset of the person making them, than of the person being remarked on..

kellycan27
03-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Don't forget to sit when you go potty. Standing at the urinal and lifting your skirt is a dead give away!

Super Amanda
03-11-2009, 03:36 AM
Plenty of people are quite happy not 'blending in'. You seem to strongly imply that she needed to, and I think that's trying to put restrictions on people that shouldn't be necessary?

Comments like that usually say more about the mindset of the person making them, than of the person being remarked on..

How did I imply that she needed to change anything though? By stating a fact? I never said "She needs to wear.." or anything.I believe my words were:"If she toned down her make up and wore a little looser clothes, she would've blended right in." All I was stating was that If you WANT to BLEND IN, you HAVE to be less flashy. And I do believe that there can be a "too sexy" for the grocery store. This IS a thread about passing, No? And I mainly felt sorry for her because her kids were unruly. And everyone was looking at her.

crazybiker
03-11-2009, 03:55 AM
1. Skirts too short. A dead giveaway. I wear short skirts, but never too short if I want to be in public.

Okay... so lets say a generall skirt like the one i have, well in my profile pic/photo album.. would that be considered too short to be a give away (just out'a currosity.... i love this one and want to use it for this summer)

tricia_uktv
03-11-2009, 05:43 AM
Just a thought, but the whole world opened up to me when I realised that I was not a gg so passing didn't matter. What mattered was being myself. I was petrified of being clocked before, now it doesn't matter to me and guess what. I pass ten times better! Confidence, attitude and smiles. They will do the trick whether your blonde or brunette. I do however try to dress appropriately, but what's appropriate?

vivianann
03-11-2009, 06:18 AM
Self confidence and dressing age appropriate goes along ways for me to pass in public

Bridget Fitzgerald
03-11-2009, 08:50 AM
First, you have to define passing. I won't even attempt to tackle that one. I have no idea how some of you define it.

But, as an experiment, I wore PJ bottoms, slippers, a t-shirt, minimal makeup and a long straight brown wig to my local WalMart (where I would never go properly dressed) and walked through, shopped and bought a few items and not one person looked at me. I just shuffled through and mixed with the throngs of humanity that shopped there.

So, if your wishes are to simply pass, look like everyone else, as dreadfully dull as that sounds.

Amen

BeckiB
03-11-2009, 09:20 AM
I am 6 ft 1in tall in flats and have the body of a man which I was born with. I know I do not pass and I really don't care. I know people are going to realize I am a little different when they look. Who cares?? Do their opinions really matter to you? I don't want to be seen as one of the type cast CD's you see on TV with dark blue eye shadow and hairy chest sticking out between my rice filled tube socks wearing a maids outfit to the mall. I try to be as presentable as I can be. I fuss over my hair, my makeup and my clothes but so does my wife. We are nothing if we are not vain. If a GG walks into somewhere dressed in 5" heels and a mini skirt she is going to get looks and so will you.

If you want to see what people notice do what I do. I have gone to Southern Comfort several times and usually get there the Monday before. There are always a lot of girls there by then and you get in little groups and go out. I have gone to the mall in boy mode and kinda of hung back so see what happens. You get everything from being un noticed to given second looks to being pointed at. I have never seen anyone given a hard time. The biggest thing tho is that the girls that dressed more like the typical mall goer and had their makeup done nice got second looks for the most part, the girls in the 5" heels and minis got pointed at and chuckles. Again who cares? It depends on what you are after....for me I don't want to perpetuate the stereotypical crossdresser image that is already out there.

Prissy Linda
03-11-2009, 12:38 PM

I agree with Tamara, Now I know I'll probably get slammed by the "I don't care" bunch but It's all about presentation.

It's not whether we pass or not but more about how we present ourselves to the general public. One of the reasons I believe we are not accepted by society is how the media portrays us and some (not all) in the TG community enforce some of those stereotypes by trying to look to sexy with over the top makeup, huge boobs, the over 40 yr.old man wearing a mini skirt with 5 inch high heels... That just doesn't look good no matter how sexy you feel.

Dressing appropiately for the situation and dressing age appropriate, PLUS confidence and the attitude that you belong are the keys to acceptance.

Again, passing is not always a reality. Presenting ourselves in a positive manner has more of an influence on us being accepted which I believe to be what we would all like as an end result.

Kelly_on_platforms
03-11-2009, 02:56 PM
I usually do not wear heels in public unless I am going to a TG club, then I will go in the highest heels I own. I do like wearing sandals though so I usually wear something that is either flat or has a very low heel of no more than 2 inches. There are plenty of thong style sandals like that or just plain strappy sandals, slides or flip flops. I normally go with low heel when i wear micro skirts, I think high heel + micro skirt looks a bit too flashy.

Joy Carter
03-11-2009, 04:45 PM
Passing is all between your ears girls. Especially when your a dog like me.

TxKimberly
03-16-2009, 08:40 PM
I would to add that if you're going to wear short sleeves, tanks, or sleeveless tops you have to get rid of the farmer's tans. Women don't normally have them and that is a dead giveaway. You can use the sun to even it out, but you can also use tanning sprays.

Hugs!

Uggghh . . . I fight that damn farmers tan quite a bit myself. HATE it! There are a few lotions out there that help blend it and even your arms out.

kellycan27
03-16-2009, 08:58 PM
I think yes... just not thinking about it. just throwin on a pair of jeans, a blouse, sandals, tie my hair back... a little lip gloss.Kind of frumpy. Somebody hit it... I pass better when I don't try and pass.

kristinacd55
03-16-2009, 09:08 PM
I know that completely passing is probably never going to happen -- but I do know that sometimes I do better than other times. Here are some things I think make a difference -- I'd be interested in what you have found...

2. Brunette rather than blonde. Who doesn't what to be a blonde -- but it screams fake.
3. Perfect eyes and eyebrows. I agonize over eyeliner and over brow shape. It seems to make a difference. I've found that the less eyeshadow the better -- darker and bigger eyes are not good.
4. Conceal the back and shoulders. I am top heavy and know it -- if I really want to blend I wear a cape.
6. If I am in a completely straight environment, such as a mall, I'm spotted less often. I think people don't see what they aren't looking for. "Alternative" neighborhoods are impossible to pass in, but then again they don't care how you are dressed anyway.
7. Smiling. I can make most suspicious eyes change mood by flashing a smile. I suspect GG's have known this for years.

Great post Leslie, I'll keep them in mind when I finally get the guts to go out in public! :)

rlars1
03-16-2009, 09:09 PM
This is one of my husbands problems at 6ft 1. When we are out in public I will usually have him wear some cute flats and I will wear something higher. I think it helps.

Jan W
03-16-2009, 09:47 PM
Some really great points girls. Good reading.

No right or wrongs as it totally depends on who you are and what you are hoping to achieve (if anything)

For me it is enjoyable to be dressed and out. I love it to bits. I do not love being the focus of attention - one's vulnerability is at it's most when wearing a skirt and a wig and carrying a handbag in public. (when I am not a woman)

I agree that most people shy from confrontation but I have seen a group of lads pull the wig off a girl and destroy it. She was a mess. I have also heard of groups of teenage girls giving t girls a horrible time. This is why I feel the need to blend and pass as best I can.

On second thought when I am out wearing a dress and a wig and carrying my handbag I am a woman!

Jan

Sweet Jane
03-17-2009, 12:54 AM
i really hate this concept of 'passing'...passing as what???....damn theres maybe one in ten thousand who pass as a woman close up...why lose heartbeats over worrying if thats you....if you're a classy, confident 'woman' when you get out people just accept your right to be one....they know you're a guy, but they accept your right to be...obsession with 'passing' kinda annoys me really..it keeps great people in the closet

crusadergirl
03-17-2009, 01:55 AM
Damn I have blonde hair so i'm not going to pass. And i like short skirts so i'm not doing so good.
What am i suppose to do.