PDA

View Full Version : Woolworths Propaganda Sheet

Honey
02-26-2009, 06:25 AM
I work for a woolworths near where I live, and every month they release a piece, I call the propaganda sheet, where everything is rosey and apparently they treat their staff well. Must be in the wrong store...

Anyways, they had an interview with some one from a Dick Smith store, and was asked - what was the funniest thing you've seen?

The person said "There was this guy one day who wanted to buy a printer, presented his credit card with the name John on it (not real name)" and the next day he was dressed as a lady wanting to buy cartridges for the printer. This time she paid by credit card with the name Joanne. I was surprised and the lady said she was going in for a sex change.

On the first day I said hello sir, and on the second - hello Ma'am.

Was an interesting article, I feel like writing back and saying that they handled it well, as they don't know how many staff read this that may be going through something similar.

What do you all think?

Senban
02-26-2009, 06:43 AM
Honey said - "Anyways, they had an interview with some one from a Dick Smith store, and was asked - what was the funniest thing you've seen?"

Maybe it's just me but I interpreted this question differently. "Funniest" to me indicated "amusing". In that light, while they (possibly) handled the two contacts with the customer well, they've maybe not done so well subsequently if they see it as something "funny" to be highlighted as such in an article.

Just my thinking anyway :)

Aurora27
02-26-2009, 06:49 AM
I think its quite a humorous situation. And finding it funny doesn't necessarily mean you think ill of them. I think it was handled well and perhaps it is saying something good that this person is open in admitting how funny it was.

Honey
02-26-2009, 07:09 AM
To me, having the SA say maam would of rocked. I believe the question wasn't asked as funny haha - but more what has been the most memorable customer moment.

Senban
02-26-2009, 07:24 AM
I think the problem here for me is one of choice of words. We all interpret words according to our own experiences of course.

Now if it had been written "What was your most memorable moment when dealing with a customer" then I think I'd interpret it well of course. But as the word "funniest" was used, I read it differently. "Funniest" could be taken to mean "oddest" or "most unusual" too but "funniest" itself is quite ambiguous in its interpretation. So perhaps this is a good example of where a better word could have been chosen by the author to remove potential confusion and issues?

Honey
02-26-2009, 07:34 AM
Without checking - I think it's a staple question they ask each month. For some weird ass reason I read the propaganda sheet.

Senban
02-26-2009, 07:37 AM
Honey said - "Without checking - I think it's a staple question they ask each month. For some weird ass reason I read the propaganda sheet."

I think I'm the only person who reads our staff newsletter too :tongueout

JoAnne Wheeler
02-26-2009, 08:39 AM
I don't find it FUNNY at all - I find it quite TRAGIC because I feel that most

of society treats us as FUNNY, emotionally challenged individuals to be made

fun of.

JoAnne Wheeler

jruiz
02-26-2009, 08:48 AM
I learned two things:

1) To be called "Madam" doesn't mean that we successfully passed
2) Other people may respect us, but we cant ask them not to look at us like funny or weird people.

JessD76
02-26-2009, 10:15 AM
I suppose we cannot make everyone understand everything. The fact that the SA addressed the individual appropriately in each circumstance is handling it well. As far as it being funny, people laugh or make fun of what they do not understand. I actually would prefer a chuckle or a laugh, rather than dealing with anger and confrontation. I suppose with lack of confidence in ourselves, the chuckles can feed our insecurities. When this happens, we have to try and understand where the nervous or perhaps ignorant reaction is coming from.

kellycan27
02-27-2009, 09:58 PM
How the clerk addressed the person seems very appropriate to me in both instances. I found it to be somewhat humorus myself. it doesn't seem that he was laughing at the customer, but the situation of dealing with that person as a man one day and a woman the next.