PDA

View Full Version : The harsh reality of getting "Ma'amed"

Karren H
02-26-2009, 02:08 PM
I just figured something out yesterday... On the way to my meeting I stopped to shop.. And went into a department store and spent a long time going through the womens clearence racks. After a few visits to the fitting room ended up buying 2 tops and a skirt and the checkout lady was nice ... She handed my purchases off to a young boy who said "you want these hangers, Ma'am? Nahhhh.... Left the store doing the "happy dance" in my mind....

So next I head on over to Radio Shack and ask the clerk if he had a USB connecting cable for my Pro-97 hand held scanner radio... "Let me check, sir". Wait!! Don't I get a ma'am? You should talk to the boy in the department store next door and get your stories straight!

So then it hit me!! Its not what you look like its what you buy!! Yeah everyone's getting maamed lately. . But you have 2 pink bras and a dress in your hands!! Duhhh!! Lol.

Bet you wouldn get ma'amed if you had a pack of Mail Pouch chewing tobacco and a tub of hot wings under your arm!! :)

This theory only works for "pure" purchases.. I fear that if you get in line with 2 pink bras and a tub of hot wings.. Who knos what they will call you!! Either rethink the hot wings or go back and get matching pink girdle!! Your going to need one!! :D

Christie ann
02-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Lot's of truth there Karren. People don't expect anything out of their own world view. People don't expect a guy to be buying or wearing bras and dresses (not sure why not??) and so you must be a girl.

pamela_a
02-26-2009, 02:27 PM
Been there and you better believe it was quite a downer hearing that "sir" after being "ma'amed" just moments earlier. That's an interesting theory although I can't really say I've really experienced it that much. Maybe I'll have to pay closer attention (and go shopping more).

-Paula-

Tina B.
02-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Karren. everybody knows, real women don't shop at radio shack!!!LOL
Tina

Nicki B
02-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Bet you wouldn get ma'amed if you had a pack of Mail Pouch chewing tobacco and a tub of hot wings under your arm!! :)

This theory only works for "pure" purchases.. I fear that if you get in line with 2 pink bras and a tub of hot wings.. Who knos what they will call you!!

You mean you haven't already considered testing it out? Betcha have..

jruiz
02-26-2009, 02:58 PM
Yeah... the call it the Pink fog :heehee:

The pink fog clouds our minds and makes us think that we look like Eva Mendes in front of the mirror...

Mitzi
02-26-2009, 03:05 PM
Not exactly "maam"ed but...

Some years ago, a sales girl in a Leeds shoe store brought out a pair of pumps in my size from the back. Out of habit, she asked if I'd like to try them on...I was in drab... When she realized what she'd said, she turned all shades of red, while another sales girl giggled.

Mitzi

Sally2005
02-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Could be your close enough to the middle of the spectrum as far as male or female appearance goes. They use what you are buying as a clue to what gender you are. I wonder, are they not thinking, thinking this woman sure looks like a male, but she is buying female stuff, or this guy look kind of feminine, but better not insult him by calling him, mam. Try buying a bra and oil filter at the same time (in each gender) and see what happens...

JoAnne Wheeler
02-26-2009, 03:43 PM
I think Christie said it very well - but do you really care - I don't anymore

JoAnne Wheeler

Legs
02-26-2009, 04:39 PM
Karen,

TY for that story, it made my day, took 5 mins to stop laughing...not at you dear, but the way you worded it, Perfect.

It is amazing how people react in different situations though, huh?

Hugggggggggggs
Samantha

Jacquilynne
02-26-2009, 04:46 PM
Karren, Interesting thought for sure. . . My latest compliment was received while purchacing Dayquil Sinus medicine. . . men and women buy that kind of stuff so it was gender neutral I guess kinda in relation to the hot wings and bra therory ;)

Now, if one were to go into a store and purchase guys clothing while dressed en femme and still get mam'ed that would be a sure feat!! I'd like to hear that story :D

Jacie

Persephone
02-26-2009, 04:56 PM
So then it hit me!! Its not what you look like its what you buy!! Yeah everyone's getting maamed lately. . But you have 2 pink bras and a dress in your hands!! Duhhh!! Lol.

Bet you wouldn get ma'amed if you had a pack of Mail Pouch chewing tobacco and a tub of hot wings under your arm!!

Karren, it sounds like you're "the zone," right in the middle between light and shadow, between science and superstition, between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge . . . *

I'm not convinced that it is all about your purchase, I think it also has to do with attitude, posture, etc.

For example, do you tend to get "Ma'm"ed or "Sir"ed in "neutral" situations like going to the bank?

There may be another factor too. Strange as it sounds, my femme self is less comfortable in a Radio Shack. Sure, perfectly normal GG's are there all the time, some of 'em are downright techy, and some of 'em even work there, but we often feel "different," less sure of ourselves in such situations, and maybe it shows.

Anyway, the item you need is #20-047, Prgramming Cable & Driver Software. I bought one last week for my Pro-92 and my new Pro-528. From all I've heard, the Pro-97 is really good! Enjoy!

* "There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man.
It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.
It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge.
This is the dimension of imagination.
It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone." -- Rod Serling

Lissa Stevens
02-26-2009, 05:14 PM
Last year I was at a very well known restaurant, in drab, and was maam'd. I checked the mirror and could see nothing that would cause such a mistake but who gives a s&^t. I was maam'd. Woo Hoo!!

Kate Simmons
02-26-2009, 05:36 PM
It depends Karren. For instance if they see you carrying a bag and packing a Glock, 9MM or .357 they may have no choice but to call you ma'am.:heehee:

jruiz
02-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Well, maybe it's not only about what you buy but also about how much you spent.

In some stores, a dressed non-passing guy buying a 900$ dress will be madamed for sure...

LeslieBird
02-26-2009, 05:58 PM
I think you have a good point. People generally see what they expect to see.

Tina B.
02-26-2009, 06:01 PM
It depends Karren. For instance if they see you carrying a bag and packing a Glock, 9MM or .357 they may have no choice but to call you ma'am.:heehee:

Arianna, packing that Glock, will get you called what ever you want to be called!!!
Tina

Jacquilynne
02-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Arianna, packing that Glock, will get you called what ever you want to be called!!!
Tina

LOL, that reminds me of a funny story that happened to me a few years ago before I dressed more consistantly -- so I was in camo drab!. . . On the way home from target shooting at a rural friends farm, I entered a small country store forgetting I was still wearing my .45 cal automatic in its holster on my side. . .totally exposed! All the SA's were very pleasant and eager to help with anything I needed. LOL When my arm brushed my side and I instantly knew why. Finishing my purchase, I quietly walked back out to my car feeling very embarrassed.

Sorry to be off topic but it seemed to fit somehow :)

Jacie

SherriePall
02-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Karren -- Methinks that perhaps the young lad didn't even look up as he was taking the clothes off the hangers. Some of these SA's don't even pay the slightest attention to their work, only their conversations with each other.
However, no matter the circumstances, I hope your wife doesn't get wind of your being ma'amed en drab. She may have you do more than cutting your nails!

Margot
02-26-2009, 07:16 PM
Karren you always have interesting adventures. Here's mine. I went to my hairdressers two weeks ago since I had been growing my hair rather long and it got too frizzy to do anything with. So I walk in, sort of in drab and the owner has her dog in the store. The dog came running over when I sat in the chair and stood on it's hind legs to greet and lick me.
The owner said that was unusual because she hates men. She then went on to say that I was looking particularly feminine with my long hair so the dog did not recognize me as a man. WTF, I pass for a bitch?:eek:
I am happy to report though that even when my hair was cut in a short femme style the dog was still friendy so I guess it was a good style.
:hugs:
Margot

Vicki65
02-26-2009, 07:43 PM
So next I head on over to Radio Shack and ask the clerk if he had a USB connecting cable for my Pro-97 hand held scanner radio... "Let me check, sir". Wait!! Don't I get a ma'am? You should talk to the boy in the department store next door and get your stories straight!

But sometimes that pro-97 is more fun than a leather skirt isn't it?

(says a Bearcat 785XLT owner - sometmes it's hard to be a geek) :D

linnea
02-26-2009, 08:32 PM
I think that it's mostly what you're buying, but certainly how you are dressed makes a difference too. But I've had both "sir" and "ma'am" in Sears, when I was dressed en femme and buying women's items in the latter case--and women's in the former, too.

sherryleigh
02-26-2009, 08:51 PM
Lately I've been spending way too much money on clothes and shoes. Make-up, good freaking grief it's expensive but never the less essential. What I do is go to the stores that either have self-checkout stations or when dealing with other retailers that don't offer that oiption I innocently ask for a gift receipt if my girlfriend doesn't like it or it doesn't fit. The big outlet malls are a good option as well, just ask for a gift receipt.

Ayame
02-26-2009, 10:59 PM
Ironically I like being referred to as a guy. I am a rare breed =p Unlike most people on the forum its kinda hard for me to fit in since I like dressing like a woman except I dont do the fake boob thing and I dont change my voice however I still go out like that. I like to look at myself as just a beautiful man if that makes any sense. lol

MissConstrued
02-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Try buying a bra and oil filter at the same time (in each gender) and see what happens...

I considered that, but unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the local Victoria's Secret doesn't carry much in the way of car parts.

And my NAPA store is a bit shy on lingerie these days.

marny
02-28-2009, 12:12 AM
I've beem ma'amed a few times in the last year. Can't say anything other than "i like it" :d

Leanne2
02-28-2009, 06:48 AM
I get ma'am d a lot but then my everyday drab look is kind of fem. I have a woman's hair style 24/7 with no side burns and my brows are waxed into a pretty shape. I keep the hair on my arms clipped short.
Instead of a billfold in my back pocket, I carry a black woman's side folding wallet in my hand. At stores I try to talk softly while checking out. I get ma'amd wearing the clothes that I had on while changing the oil on my car. Yesterday a guy at Wal-Mart did a double take as I walked into the men's bathroom. Leanne