PDA

View Full Version : Not good news for me

Tracii G
02-28-2009, 05:53 AM
Well I didn't mention a had another small seziure in Dec not a big deal really health wise I'm OK but my doctor has put me back on medication and the only thing is that last time I was on it my weight went way up.
He explained it was a side effect of the meds and some people did gain quite a bit and some did not.
He has put me on Depakote again which is what I took last time and it made me gain so much weight and I have worked so very hard for two years to lose close to 100 lbs and I hate the thought of going thru that all over again.(sigh,cry)I have put on 11 lbs since Dec and I just sick about it(cry again sob):brokenheart:
I told myself Damnit! it won't stop dressing just because of it so should I or shouldn't I.I just feel like a big pile of doody.

Jonianne
02-28-2009, 06:01 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your difficulty Tracii. My wife took depakote for a while - she had a brain aneurysm and a seziure later. Now she takes Topamax for both her migranes and for seziures. The nurologist told her a side effect is lack of appitate, which she doesn't consider a problem.

Hope all goes well.

Hugs,

Joni

Tracii G
02-28-2009, 06:12 AM
Thanks Jonianne I hope she's doing well now.
I just don't how I will deal with this, the neuologist said it will probaly have the same effect this time maybe more because he wants to keep me on it longer this time as long as 2 years.I was on it for 1 year last time and it had a huge effect no pun intended LOL.
Its just depressing!

deja true
02-28-2009, 06:29 AM
Ah, Tracii, sorry about the health problems...

It seems that sometimes the cure is just as bad as the illness, huh?

But now that you know of the side-effects, you have a head start in countering them.

Good luck, rock 'n roll chick...

:)

Andrea Renea
02-28-2009, 06:46 AM
My son was taking Depakote and his weight ballooned.

He is currently taking Keppra with no negative effects.

Wish you the best.

Andrea

Brina Halloween
02-28-2009, 07:55 AM
Small world. I have no input on it but, it sounds like two possible alternatives have been mentioned. Do a little internet research and talk to the doctor. Or get a second opinion since doctors are not all equal.

Good luck,

Brina

Jess_cd32
02-28-2009, 10:30 AM
There are plenty of other meds you can talk to your doc about, Neurontin being one. I was on that shortly for neuralgia (nerve pain) and its an anti siezure drug as well. Pheno Barbitol also another choice?
Google anti siezure meds and do your own reasearch, I'm on the meds I'm on now for pain issues that work very well because I researched them and my doc switched me over to them, from his initial choices, never been better either. Docs get kickbacks from drug companies, keep that in mind.

Always look up the side effects as well with anything your Rx-ed, I just looked up a pain med I was on and its maker is now getting sued because one of the problems with it is it can cause 'cardiac emergencies', and I've got tachycardia already:eek: My Doc had no idea about this, I tossed them all:doh:

Good luck and make your own choice on what med you want to use.

Edit: We used the above mentioned 'Keppra' for our small dog, its very expensive but worked extremely well, he'd still had periodic break thru's but not so bad. Ask about valium as well, helps with back pains as an additional benefit and it won't wipe you out mentally as bad.

JoAnne Wheeler
02-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Oh Traci, my Kentucky Sister, I hate to hear about your seizure - TRY HARD

not to EAT as much and drink lots of water - lots of water - before a meal

and see if that helps

Your Kentucky Sister,

JoAnne Wheeler

Shannon
02-28-2009, 11:17 AM
Tracii, I am sorry to hear about the recurrence. My wife had an unexplained seizure last November, and has been on Depakote since then. Her doctor says she must go at least 12 months without another seizure before he will take her off the Depakote. The DMV suspended her drivers license (We took her to the ER and they automatically report seizures to the DMV -- at least in California). I hope some of the others' suggestions might be helpful.

Sheila
02-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Traci, I am sorry for the health problems hun, and I know what u mean about feeling a big pile of doody .... I have always been a larger GG, but due to health problems and being unable to work for the last two years I have gained about 34lb extra, medication should be helping me lose weight, unfortunately the health probs mean that I am unable to be as active as I used to be, so I have several periods in the month depending on water retention where I feel a bigger pile of doody than normal.

Your small seuzure needs to be addressed and taken care of before it turns into a large seizure .............. dressing might not then be an option for you if that happens :sad::sad: ..... if in getting there you gain several pounds will that matter really so long as at the end of it you are alive and healthy

Di
02-28-2009, 12:19 PM
Tracii, sorry about the health problems...:hugs: Think of your health first and I am sure the doc gave you what he felt best.
And want to add...if you add a few lbs..it's not a big deal bigger girls can feel good about themseves too and dress up and feel sexy......I'm a big girl and nothing is stopping me. Just be healthy:hugs: and everything else will fall into place!

Megan70
02-28-2009, 12:26 PM
I take deprokote as well as WellbutrinSR for Bi-polar and have had no weight gain problems in the 2 years taking it. My weight has and will always stay the same within 1-3 ibs up or down daily and has been that way for 15 years. Eneryones weight flucuation and metabolism is different.
Good luck.

MsSamanthaErica
02-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Tracii,

My heart goes out to you but at the same point Sheila's advice is warranted too. See if you can discover what is causing them (chemical imbalance, genetics, etc.). Then you can avoid them, hopefully, in the future and live healthy and happy.

Of course, you should dress when you can, it will help you to remember happy times and days!! My best wishes that you are on the road to recovery!

Hugs,
~Samantha

Wendy me
02-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Tracii my youngest son has been on deprokote for a long time he gained a lot of pounds fast .... then he took charge of the weight and eats smart (healthy) and excises he lives 3 miles from work and walks to and from work ..... he went from 210 to 160 in about 4 months and has stayed there for about 2 years now .... you just have to make being healthy your new hobby ............

Tracii G
02-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Thanks all it means a lot.
This was a very small seziue not like my first one in 2001 more like an episode if you will.I have to go in for an MRI and brain scan on Monday.
The first time 2001 I had all the tests and they could not find any reason for the seziure it was a mystery why I had one.
Due to the nature of this one I can still drive my car just not any of the larger Co. vehicles like the big trucks which is OK with me.
I can still do welding and so on no problem, they asked if I wanted to work in the office but I'm more a hands on type so I declined that offer.
So I will keep the walking and step arobics going ,eating healty stuff like I have been and if I do gain most of it back I will at least be in better health to handle it.
BTW I never purged my bigger clothes so at least I won't need to do any shopping for a while.Like this will stop me from shopping or dressing ...yeah right!!

KandisTX
02-28-2009, 01:20 PM
Tracii, I am on Depakote myself for treatment of IED, so I am sure the dosage I am on is much lower, but I do not have an issue with weight gain myself. My weight tends to stay right around the 220 - 230 area. I would check and see what was/is causing the siezures and maybe there is a treatment for that symptom. Exercise and eating healthy is going to be key to keeping the weight off.

Kandis:love:rose2:

beenherelongtime
02-28-2009, 03:33 PM
no other input except to wish you luck and health

Kayla Shadows
02-28-2009, 03:48 PM
I'm very sorry to hear as well. Were all here with you to get through this.If dressing makes you happy,dont stop.Its good to hear you still have some of your bigger clothes.I know it cant be a great feeling when you worked so hard to lose the weight but,You will be back to yourself again in time.My heart is with you.Sometimes life throws things our way but its important for us to keep our smile and keep our sense of humor.We have to be able to smile through the rough times and know they wont always be like this.We become stronger through our struggles.Were here with you Tracii

Sally2005
02-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Sorry, I no noithing about the medication, but I was wondering, if you get yourself in to a more active routine and reduce your food intake so that you can prevent the weight gain is that possible? I took some antidepresent in the past and the doctor told me to watch out for weight gain, but he instisted I keep up a regular exercise program and I did have some weight redistribution, but not really any gain. I hope something like that is possible for you.

Tracii G
02-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Sally I plan on keeping up the excersize hopefully that will help some.

"Mary"
02-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Sounds like you're getting some good ideas here Tracii, I don't have anything specific to add, just that I'm sorry to hear about your difficulty and hope it turns out well for you.

Best Wishes.

stephgoth
02-28-2009, 05:01 PM
I am on Lithium for bipolar, and they say it "causes weight gain." Depakote (took that for a while too) and lithium both cause you to have an increased appetite. What causes the weight gain is giving in to that appetite and not limiting what you eat.

Just cut out all the high calorie things like fried food, cookies etc. and then stop eating not when you are full, but when you are no longer hungry, big difference there. Buy portions that are smaller than will fill you up on purpose and your stomach will shrink. Think lots of tiny meals made up primarily of vegetables. For that matter be a vegan, that limits calories enough that you probably won't even have to diet ;)

Don't be afraid of the meds honey, in the end the gain is up to you, and working on it when you start the meds is MUCH easier than after you gain a bunch.

love,

Steph

ReineD
02-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Tracii, I'm also sorry about your health issues. I'm glad you're taking care of yourself by taking the prescribed meds. :hugs:

It is sad so many of us are buying into wanting the ideal tall and slender body espoused by the media and the fashion industry. But, the "look" is not realistic and only about 2% of women fit the mold. Tall and skinny may be nice to look at, but I've often read where men in fact prefer healthier bodies. Here's an article from Askmen.com discussing the idea that men do not prefer skinny women (http://www.askmen.com/daily/austin/49_fashion_style.html).

My SO and I often go to drag shows where there the DQs are, shall we say, voluptuous and they do present themselves in a very attractive and sexy light. They do not at all give the impression of feeling badly about themselves because of their curves. In fact, they proudly take full advantage of them! :)
:hugs:

Tracii G
02-28-2009, 07:18 PM
Its been hard since late Dec to control my appetite I find myself eating more often.I do TRY to stay clear of the bad stuff and won't buy it at the grocery but have succumed to urges at the 7-11.
I have kept up my excersize routine but that hasn't stopped the first few pounds from coming.Its going to be a struggle looks like:sad:

boardpuppy
02-28-2009, 07:59 PM
Hello Traci,
I understand your problems, as I have a granddaughter on "D" for seizers, with another one. Luckily she doesn't have a weight gain problem. Be cool, be senceable, and due what the Dr.'s tell you to due. You know what you have to do, just do it. You know if there is anything we can do, we're here.

Hugs,
Alice

Alice Torn
02-28-2009, 09:01 PM
Steph, A vegan diet, can help, but, i know a person who is vegan, but eats mainly cookies, candy, cake, pie, and drinks beer, or pop! She is about five foot four, and 260. Just not eating animal products, isn't helping her. Traci, a natural doctor, and some natural suppliments might be helpful, too. It aint easy, though. i am 30 pounds over.

Kimberly Marie Kelly
02-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Looked on the web for Depakote and the warning about suicidal thoughts was listed as a side effect,

"You may have thoughts about suicide while taking this medication. Tell your doctor if you have new or worsening depression or suicidal thoughts during the first several months of treatment, or whenever your dose is changed."

So keep this in mind. Take care of yourself..:battingeyelashes:

TxKimberly
02-28-2009, 09:43 PM
Ouch! I try very hard to keep my weight under control and so I DO feel your pain.
You have to keep up the excersize as much as you can. You can still eat a fairly large amount IF you offset it with excersize. (no, i DON'T always follow my own advice!) lol

Tracii G
02-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Kim51 don't worry I like myself too much to do that.LOL

Tamara Croft
03-01-2009, 03:42 AM
Tracii, if your doctor is worried about your weight now, why is he putting you on meds that he knows will affect your weight even more? isn't he putting you at risk futher by giving you meds that had side affects, possible weight gain, thus affecting the rest of your organs like your heart for example? I'd go back and give the doctor a list of meds recommended by the members here, ask him if any of them would be better...

Tina B.
03-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Traci, sorry to hear about your condition, I have a brother that is really large, and they keep telling him to loss weight, while putting him on meds that cause him to balloon up, and It drives him crazy. But remember, it is not more important to look good, rather than feel good! so take care of yourself. And if it is any comfort, take it from a big gal, there is a lot of cute clothes out there in plus sizes!
Tina

Tracii G
03-01-2009, 04:47 PM
Thanks Tina.I still have some of my plus sized girly clothes from several years ago so thats not a real issue.I still have a very cute mid calf dress that I love and couldn't wear.Just couldn't bring myself to purge any of that stuff.
I really didn't hate myself as a fat person and had a great social life so that won't change.Attitude is the key and I will handle it the best I can.
Tamara I have kept my weight at 163 so he was not concerned with my present weight.
He felt Depakote was the best choice because the other meds he tried the first time caused mood problems and blood pressure problems too.He had me on several different different ones and Depakote seemed to control the best.
I have to see him tomorrow and will disscuss my options on a more natural approach as far as meds go thanks to all that mentioned those.

Tracii G
03-02-2009, 11:14 PM
Just a little update.The MRI and CT scan were all clean thats a relief.
My neurologist listened to all I had to say about trying natural meds and was very open to my requests and said he will look at all the products mentioned by all here.He has used a few of them in the past and had not had very good results but he will look at updated testing then make an evaluation.
For now Depakote will be med.
He understood my concern about gaining weight again.He said I have a rather slow metabolism and that was part of the reason I gained so much last time and that I would probably do so this time.
He did say excercize and eat the right foods and limit the quantity that could only help.He said my major hurtle is to control my appitite if I don't do that I'm screwed.
So both good and bad news at least it wasn't all bad news!!:hugs: