PDA

View Full Version : On Being A Lady

melissacd
06-21-2005, 09:17 AM
Girls,

I found this wonderful article on being a lady (in these modern times) and I wanted to share it with the most wonderful ladies that I know.

I smiled when I saw the comment that just because you are a woman does not mean to say that you are a lady. The corollary is that a lady does not necessarily have to "be" a woman! I have met so many cross dressers (especially here) who fill the role of lady to a tee. Femininity is not restricted to gender.

Enjoy the article.

Hugs
Melissa

Article:

"what makes a woman, a lady". written by CHITRA DANGER

Nothing is the same anywhere in this world, particularly when it comes to gender roles, rules and expectations. The roles played historically by men and women are not strictly within their domain anymore and the lines have become very blurred. The number of women who are educated, is growing at a steady pace and with education come aspirations, ambitions and achievements. The many faces and abilities of Eve are seen in every sphere of society. The underlying question is "how to be a lady" while wearing all these different hats!

There is a lot of confusion, along with the fulfilment of setting out on her own path, as to what is the proper way to conduct oneself without losing touch with one's femininity on one side and achievements on the other side. Does being a lady somehow take away her power? Will it diminish her credibility in her fight to establish herself in a man's world?

The art of being a lady is lost somewhere in the struggle to become self-sufficient, straight shooting, and an aggressive survivor of the modern day. The definition of a lady has changed very rapidly with the times. Let us establish what it is not before we go on to talk about what it is. If you think being a lady requires you to be coy, shy, bat your eyelids, sigh and be complacent, compliant, a doormat and all that syrupy stuff, perish those thoughts. Neither is it in being snobbish or intimidating. The quintessence of a being a lady lies in her attitude, poise, manners, and elegance of speech, posture and self-confidence.

A lady is considerate, concerned, and respectful of all the people around her. A lady has firm belief in her own abilities and talent to take her towards her goals. A lady has self-esteem and a steely strength that does not need the authentication or seal of approval from the man in her life. A lady speaks her mind assertively and not aggressively. A lady knows what her boundaries and limits are. A lady knows when to say "No" or, "That is enough". A lady is in total grace under pressure. A lady takes care of herself and has pride in her appearance. A lady is comfortable with her "real woman's" body.

A lady dresses in classic elegance and styles that are becoming to her body type and not follow latest trends just because it is "in". A lady never gossips. A lady knows when and how to apologise and also accept an apology gracefully. A lady never ridicules or hurts someone deliberately. A lady does not flaunt her wealth. A lady is comfortable with her fun, laughing side.

In short, just because one is a woman, she does not automatically become a lady. Being a "lady" is all the above-mentioned qualities and more in a woman that makes it a pleasure to be with her, makes her memorable and definitely moves one to say "how charming!" Being called a lady is perhaps, the highest compliment a woman can receive!

ChristineRenee
06-21-2005, 09:53 AM
A well written article Melissa and excellent read. I believe a lady is also a combination of grace, class, and style...the manner in which she conducts herself both in and out of the public eye. It's not about wealth either...but knowing that she is who she is, and loves who she is, and is proud of who she is!;)

Again...a great article Melissa...thanks for sharing it with all of us!:)

Love,
Chrissie:)

Katie Ashe
06-21-2005, 10:19 AM
Melissa, Thanks for sharing that... I need a little more practice in the playing nice with others area, I get overly defensive when I am challenge about speaking my mind. I will try harder. Yes many here fit the roll very nicely.

:hugs: Katie

Marla GG
06-21-2005, 10:44 AM
Loved it, Melissa. And yes, the description does seem to fit many of the lovely ladies on this forum.

Looking at that list of characteristics, what gg wouldn't want her husband or boyfriend to be a lady? But no, they just keep choosing manly partners and then complaining about them.....sigh.

melissacd
06-21-2005, 10:53 AM
Marla,

Thanks for your vote of confidence on my choice of article. You are so right in that women should push for men who have these wonderful characteristics and perhaps the so often heard "war of the sexes" would finally end and we would become loving and respectful and fulfilled partners in humanity and making this world a much better place for all.

Perhaps we should start a campaign to turn all men into ladies :D

Hugs
Melissa

Mia001
06-21-2005, 11:28 AM
Hi,

You may have heard some of the girls mention a character called Emily Howard from the comedy show Little Britain. Emily is very particular about being a lady.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/littlebritain/characters/characters7.shtml

This should raise a giggle from all of the ladies here.

Enjoy,

Mark.

Marla GG
06-21-2005, 11:53 AM
Hi,

You may have heard some of the girls mention a character called Emily Howard from the comedy show Little Britain. Emily is very particular about being a lady.

We are flying to Heathrow on Virgin tomorrow, and I noticed on their website that the inflight entertainment includes episodes of Little Britain. Can't wait to see it!

Mia001
06-21-2005, 04:41 PM
Hi Marla,

I think you'll like it. Emily is a bit over the top but that's all part of the comedy.

It might take you an episode or two to get the humour but once you do I'm sure you'll love Little Britain. There are loads of other "interesting characters in there too.

I don't want to wander away from the subject of this thread too much so I'll wrap up this post.

Hope you have a great time in the U.K.

Mark.

Di
06-22-2005, 08:24 PM
Beautiful article . Loved reading it. And I also think you are very much a lady.

spaskinstyle
06-22-2005, 09:07 PM
I don't think any of you ladies would mind....