PDA

View Full Version : JoAnn's Gas Station Adventure

JoAnnDallas
06-21-2005, 10:27 AM
Please excuse this long post, but, ladies, I DID it. After almost 45 years in the closet, I went out totally as JoAnn today. As you can see from picture #1, I am all dressed up in my favorite skirt and blouse. I took care and made sure my makeup was on properly. I first put on some Olay daily regenerating serum on my face. Let it dry and then foundation and eyebrows. While it was drying, I put my pantyhose and slip on. Then I did my nails while having a cup of decaf coffee. Put my skirt and blouse on, heels, wig, and finally my lipstick and rouse. For accessories, pearl clip on ear rings, a ladies watch on my left arm and a bracelet on my right arm. After slipping on my 2” mules, I stood in front of the mirror and looking at myself, finishing my coffee. Standing there I told myself, “It’s now or never girl”. I know how you girls like pictures of these events, so I took a picture of myself sitting, ready to go. My plan was to drive over to this Shell station that is a little secluded and fill up the SUV. I picked up my purse; put my billfold, car keys, lipstick, compact, and cell phone in it. Picked up the purse and went out the back door to where my SUV is parked. Took a deep breath and open it and got in. First thing I noticed, is getting into a SUV with a skirt is a lot of fun. Once I was in, I took the next picture. I started the engine and just sat there for about 5 minutes. Finally I got my nerve up and backed out of the driveway. This is when I had a panic attack. I was hyper-ventilating and had to stop and relax a minute. Once I got my composer back, I headed out for the Shell station. I keep glancing at other cars and so far no one was looking back at me or taking any notice of me. I started to relax a little, saying to myself, “this is not so bad”. When I would come up to a red light, I tried to make sure that I was not directly across from another driver. Everything was going Ok, until I got to the light before the Shell station, when another SUV pulled up directly along side. I glanced at the driver, it was an older gentlemen, he was wearing a cowboy hat, he put his hand to the brim and nodded. I smiled and looked forward. It seem for ever before the light turned green. Got up to the Shell station and it was my luck about half of the islands were in use. I drove on by, found a place to turn around, thinking, “well at least I went for a drive”. As I passed back by the Shell station, I notice most of the cars were leaving. I decided, “OK now or never girl”, found a place to turn around and went back to the station. I parked at the most outside island. I had already turned off the ignition, when a truck pulled up near me. Another older gentleman got out and slowly walked up to the station. The whole time, I just knew he was going to look at me. After he entered, I got my billfold out of my purse, got my Shell gas card, open the door, and kinda slid off the seat onto the concrete. I left the door open to help shield me, went over to where you put your card in the slot, waited forever for it to process it, picked up the hose, stuck it in the inlet. I then took the camera, put it on top of the pump and took a picture, You can see the gas pump in the window of the SUV. Finally the pump clicked done. I put the hose back up, managed to get back into the SUV. I then took another picture. Again you can see the gas pump in the background. Started it up, pulled out and had no problems what so ever driving home. After that first little panic attack and I started relaxing a little. I’m NOT ready to try this at Target or WalMart and my mouth was dry the whole time, and my palms sweated a little, but I did itand I feel GREAT.

BethCD
06-21-2005, 11:20 AM
Joann, Big congratulations, hon!!! :D
I know how unnerving that can be. Now that you've broken the ice, you'll be out often. Each journey gets a little easier. :thumbsup:

BethCD

paulaN
06-21-2005, 11:50 AM
big congratulations for sure. I think it is the same for most of us the first time out. but you made it, and was'nt it easy. all that fear for nothing. thanks for the story.

Tristen Cox
06-21-2005, 11:56 AM
:clap: Well done I wouldn't give you a second look. Good for you on getting out there :thumbsup:

JoAnnDallas
06-21-2005, 12:13 PM
When I got back, it felt SOOOO GOOOOD and TRISTEN.... your right, no one pay hardly any notice to me. I must have passed to the older gentlemen with the cowboy hat, since he tipped to me.

Thank you all for the comments, hoep you all enjoying the pictures.

Sharon
06-21-2005, 12:18 PM
The look on your face is priceless in those last three photos, like you're about to meet your maker. :) Relax, Jo Ann, it gets easier, and you did wonderfully for your first trip out.
I've been out many times, but if you ever make it to Target, you'll have surpassed anything I've managed to accomplish.
Congratulations! :bow: :clap:

ChristineRenee
06-21-2005, 12:19 PM
Well done Joann. Somewhat similar to my only outing so far...I stopped at a gas station too...at 3 am though!

I know how hard it is when you have been a CD for what seems like forever and yet still never have ventured out. Not exactly a matter-of-fact experience...overcoming that initial fear and anxiety. But you did it! Congrats girl....I'm really proud of you!:clap:

Love,
Chrissie:)

pantylover1
06-21-2005, 12:23 PM
Had me at the edge of my seat that whole story, so glad everything worked out for ya, neet photos too

Hugs & KIsses Bernice P :)

JoAnnDallas
06-21-2005, 12:25 PM
I sat down to eat lunch and a thought struck me funny.

No where else but here would having sometime tell you that they would not notice you would be a Complement LOL

Tristen Cox
06-21-2005, 12:27 PM
Strange how that works isn't it. Glad you took it the right way. :)

JoAnnDallas
06-21-2005, 12:52 PM
Sharon.... I would love to goto Target, WalMart, or even the Mall and girl shop, but I'm not that brave yet. Now then if there was a GG, CD, or TS in the area that could help me with that goal, that would be wonderfull. As for my expression, do you know how hard it was to not look Frighten out of mind. I finially started to relax and smile on the way home, once the fright and panic Subsided. Instead of gripping the stearing wheel in a death grip going to the Shell station, I even set my arm on the arm rest and drove with one hand on the way home.

DonnaT
06-21-2005, 01:12 PM
:clap: :clap: Well done, JoAnn. That first drive will soon lead to another, then another.

Then it won't be enough and Target will be your target :D And you look good enough to enter the store and at least do a little browsing. Start in the kitchen accessories and as your start to relax wind your way over to the clothes.

polly1949er
06-21-2005, 01:45 PM
I agree with Bernice I was at the edge of my seat Good post :)

Katie Ashe
06-21-2005, 01:47 PM
I don't know what your all worked up about, in the pics, you look like a GG. kinda almost like my mother-in-law. Scarey :eek: . Glad you have some fun, takes alot of nerve to venture out. :hugs: to you for your curage. My first stop will be the mall, I'm going all out :o

Katie

Olivia
06-21-2005, 01:52 PM
Good for you Joann!! What a great adventure and I can imagine how excited you were-I know I would be too. I think now that you've experienced some real freedom, it's going to be hard to stop! Well, don't!! Keep going, and before you know it, you'll feel so relaxed and natural you won't remember your old fears. You did look very passable to me too. Congratulations again Joann, I'm proud for you, Olivia.

JoAnnDallas
06-21-2005, 01:53 PM
Katie Ashe.... Why thank you.. Your going to make me blush. All I wanted on this outing was to not be noticed and guess I did that. Look like your mother-in-law, that is scary.

michellej
06-21-2005, 02:20 PM
Way to go!
Driving with just one hand? Next, it's a SUV and cell phone for you! Isn't that what all the girls do?

Ava Mouse
06-21-2005, 08:31 PM
Joann,

You look quite good! And you dressed well, too, which earned respect from those who did see you, they treated you like a lady! (even if they had doubts.)

As Obi Wan Kenobi said "Congratulations, you've just taken your first step into a larger world!"

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. You get bonus points for taking pics! LOL :D

JoAnnDallas
06-21-2005, 08:40 PM
AVA... Thank you for the nice comments. I try and dress my age. I could just see me wearing a mini skirt at my age. LOL

I think the highlite was when another SUV pulled up beside me at a red light. It was an older gentleman. He was wearing a cowboy hat. I glanced over and he looked at me and then put his finger to his hat. I smiled and then looked forward. First thought I had was "OMG, he looked at me", second thought was "OMG, he thinks I'm a lady". My heart was pounding with excitement.

Lauren Richards
06-21-2005, 08:48 PM
Joann,
Loved your description of your trip to the gas station. I think you when further than you think, what this being your first ride in your SUV in a skirt and all. Congratulations on understanding your limitations, and for getting out there in the world. Granny in an SUV, so familiar, so nice. That ten gallon tip of the hat was great! Don't worry about what you haven't done, like Target or WalMart; just enjoy what you have accomplished. What a day.

A tilt of the head, and a tip of my hat to you.
Lauren

Rachel Morley
06-21-2005, 08:51 PM
Great post Joan :) Your writing conveys the story very well...I was with you all the way (in my head). Thanks for sharing this. I know I will be going out more with Marla after our first successful trip that I posted about before.
Seeing you having success makes me think I should take photos next time too.

Btw....you're totally passable in my opinion.

Best wishes

JoAnnDallas
06-21-2005, 09:15 PM
Angel.... Thank you for the nice comments. I can not believe I really look that good. I see you and your wife are headed for the UK to see your folks. Hope you and Marla have a great time. Have a pint for me. Last time I was in the UK was in 1996. Got a free lunch once. We walked into a pub and asked if we could get a bite to eat. The owner/bartener at first said that lunch was over, so we ordered some pints. Then he asked where we were from. We said Texas, USA. He then went into the back. Came out a few minutes later and said the misses could wipe us up some sanwiches. She brought them out and sat down with us. Turned out she was from Texas and had not been home for five years. Had a great chat and when we went to pay for the food and pints, she refused our money. Really made out day. LOL

Fallen Angel
06-21-2005, 09:20 PM
honey good for you.your heart must have been just pounding!! i think you did GREAT and it gets easyer every time you walk out your door. i can hardly wait to here some more adventures in the future from you xxooxx

CharleneCD
06-21-2005, 09:47 PM
Way to go Joann. I have always had Bunny to help me keep up my courage when I go out. You went out all by yourself and that takes way more courage.Heres to the first of many succesful outings for you.

xam
06-21-2005, 10:22 PM
good for you Joann. Hope i done the same in the future.

Holly
06-21-2005, 10:36 PM
Joann, good for YOU! And nicely done for the first time out! Soon enough you'll br out there walkin' and shoppin' and have a grand adventure. And what a PLUS having that gentleman tip his hat to you. Very flattering, I imagine! GO girl!

JoAnnDallas
06-22-2005, 09:49 AM
Let me tell you, it's starting to become addictive. LOL I went out again this morning. Got all dressed up in black underware, slip and a black/white dress. Much easier to get in/out fo the SUV. LOL This time I put a little perfume on and I could smell it the whole time I was driving. This outing, I deceided to get a newspaper. I know of a place where a news stand is and it is fairly secluded. Stopped, got my money out, got out of the SUV, walked up to the stand, got my paper, turned around and coming toward me was two young ladies. Both had really nice short skirts on. One had very bright RED hair and the other had very bright BLUE hair. The newstand is on a corner and they were on the adjacent corner. I had to circle the subdivision to get to the news stand. Got the last paper too.

Ladies, it DOES get easier, once you have done it and either no one takes notice of you or you pass or both. Still a little nervious, but no panic attacks or heart attacks. LOL

Sharon
06-22-2005, 09:52 AM
Ladies, it DOES get easier

And it's addictive also! :)

Way to go Jo Ann! You look terrific. :)

JoannaDees
06-22-2005, 09:59 AM
As so many have already said, congratulations, and you do look terrific, which is why nobody notices you!

And yes, it gets easier and IS addictive, and it also becomes more fun to be able to just walk in without worrying about being a beacon for ridicule.

Congratulations again!

Joanna

Deidra Cowen
06-22-2005, 01:26 PM
Excellent adventure Joann...I am proud of you. Great pics too!

Julie
06-22-2005, 01:33 PM
Congratulations & http://img270.echo.cx/img270/4928/joann8sw.gif the next time will be easier. :)

~Julie~

Billie Jean
09-21-2005, 12:05 AM
Joan you look more like a woman than some of them who have XX chomosomes and I don't think I would have noticed you were a guy enfeme.