PDA

View Full Version : If You Had a Time Machine...

Tizabet
03-02-2009, 03:16 PM
Let's say you've got a time machine, and the technology to change your sex from before birth. Would you really use it? Would the benefits outweigh the potential losses? What about your SOs? Would you give them up? Are you convinced things would have been better? Or is it better to keep the past and forge a new future?

The more I think about it, the less sure I am for myself. I wouldn't really be "giving up" my relationship, because I never would have had it in the first place. But I don't know if that's okay. I mean, she's the one for me. Would I live out my life, happily female, but never able to find love? Maybe it would be better to just go back a little ways and start transition earlier.

What about y'all? What would you do if you had this opportunity?

Lisa Golightly
03-02-2009, 03:20 PM
I couldn't use it... I wouldn't be me, and I wouldn't love the people I love, and they wouldn't love me... I quite like me (someone has to ;) )... So no.

Anna the Dub
03-02-2009, 03:24 PM
I would use it in a flash. I am fairly sure I would still be me, and a potentially happy me at that.

John
03-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Probably.

Ann D Bluebird
03-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Maybe this is cheating but I think I'd want a time machine/space ship that would take me to the alternative universe where I was born female (as an invisible observer!...maybe I ask too much now?) so I could watch and see how things turned out/ "are turning out" for me there/then.... But in this life, I shall never know which universe would have held the happier self. I just have to try and make it this one....as do we all :2c:

What that means in reality is going to be different for us all, and only we ourselves can answer that. Or am I mistaken?

Tal'Aura
03-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Let's say you've got a time machine, and the technology to change your sex from before birth. Would you really use it?

Jolan Tru,

Yes, by all means, I will use that. Call this cheating or whatever, but everyone has a right to be happy. If technology can help you to alter a YOUR timeline - why not to use it?

GypsyKaren
03-02-2009, 04:11 PM
I am the person I am now because of all the pain I had to go through, and there's so much more than the gender thing, and I just so happen to like that person now, so I think I'd pass...except for maybe going back to buy up some Microsoft stock.

Karen :g2:

StaceyJane
03-02-2009, 04:11 PM
I've been working on that time machine for quite awhile. I've been trying to figure out a way to do the Star Trek thing and go back in time by speeding around the sun. Either that or the superman trick of flying around the earth backwards.

Tizabet
03-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Lol, Judith. Suddenly I'm surprised there was never an episode of sliders where they met oppositely gendered versions of themselves. That would have been great. :D

Kayla Shadows
03-02-2009, 05:14 PM
What about y'all? What would you do if you had this opportunity?

I would walk away.I dont want to have go through my life again.My parents suffered so much before they passed and are somewhere better.I would not give up the people I know now either.

KaraChristine
03-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Let's say you've got a time machine, and the technology to change your sex from before birth. Would you really use it? Would the benefits outweigh the potential losses?

Thinking back to the time I went through (male) puberty and all the associated trauma and suffering, I'd have to say YES - time machine for me for sure. Just to avoid the horror of seeing my hands and feet and nose assume huge male proportions - growing 4 inches taller than my sister in just a couple of years, listening to my voice become deep and ugly. I would quite honestly give up most things not to have gone through that.

Linda Z
03-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Thinking back to the time I went through (male) puberty and all the associated trauma and suffering, I'd have to say YES - time machine for me for sure. Just to avoid the horror of seeing my hands and feet and nose assume huge male proportions - growing 4 inches taller than my sister in just a couple of years, listening to my voice become deep and ugly. I would quite honestly give up most things not to have gone through that.

I agree

Sharon
03-02-2009, 07:22 PM
I know what this life has been like, and have come to terms with everything I have been dealt, as late as it may have been. However, who knows what would happen if I was able to go back in time and "fix" things? I possibly wouldn't have had so much difficulty, as least in some part, but I also most likely wouldn't have met several people who I would hate to think I may not meet if I putzed with things.

I'd rather stick with the known.

Alana65
03-02-2009, 07:30 PM

At first, I was going to totally agree with Kara, but then I thought...........
If it was possible to do that, how would it change things......not just for me but my immediate family (Mom..Dad..brother..niece..nephew) ? Would the outcome be better than what I/we have now, would it be worse, or would it roughly be the same ?
If it would have a negative effect on my family, I don't know if I could be that selfish, and go through with it.......but that's just me.

Maddie22
03-02-2009, 07:59 PM
I would go in a heart beat. To be able to live a full life in the right body would be a dream come true. I think about it everyday!!

AmandaM
03-02-2009, 09:40 PM
I wouldn't give up my family now, but me and God are having this discussion where I keep asking how come I wasn't made a woman. I don't have an answer yet. But, I am asking if I can be one in heaven. I'm so lost, geez. To go back? If I didn't have my family, in a heartbeat.

Raquel June
03-03-2009, 03:06 AM
Not trying to be annoying and picky, but...

Are you suggesting that by using your time machine I would be returned to the womb fully female but somehow still have knowledge of my current life? That would a bit much. I think it would be foolish for me to assume that my life would be significantly easier just because I was born female (although that's exactly what I thought when I was young). I already feel so completely drained by life, I can't imagine going back and having to relive the first 18 years again.

Or are you suggesting that you restart life as female with no knowledge? Then you're splitting hairs to say you're the same person, and stepping into the time machine is pretty much like committing suicide.

Heatherx75
03-03-2009, 11:02 AM
I think I'm in a better state to appreciate being female for having been MALE for my entire life. The experiences I've had may have contained a high suck quotient, but they were MY experiences.
I think that instead of wishing we could erase our lives we should be educating the people out there about trans issues so that maybe a few more trans kids out there will be treated better by their families and maybe even be allowed to grow up as who they really are. That's all we can really do.
That being said, I understand the spirit of this thread. My family desperately needed a girl in it, and what they got was me. Because of my physical gender, I wasn't able to fulfill my proper place in the family. It's hard to explain, but I know we would have talked more, and taken fewer psychotropic drugs had I been physically female. But that's the thing: I was a girl. They couldn't see past my physical sex, and neither could I, for a long time. They needed to change, and society needed to change. I'm sure others have had similar experiences.

SirTrey
03-03-2009, 11:55 AM
Zero doubt about it, I would use it in a flash.....Everything that is My life would not have been, therefore, I would never have missed it....the same could be said the other way....had I been born RIGHT, what would My life have been? Who would have been My partners, etc.? Therefore, I would absolutely use it.....Yes, you learn a lot for having experienced all the pain of being trans...but, if I could have just traded it for being right from get-go, yep, I would do it.

Sara Violet
03-04-2009, 12:23 AM
I would use it, no doubt about it.

Carole Cross
03-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Definitely.

MJ
03-04-2009, 03:54 PM
no because i am the total sum of who i am. if i change my past i change my future and i would not be who i am today

rickie121x
03-04-2009, 04:14 PM
Interesting - all of the science fiction aspects of having changed something in the past.... Now the way I look at it is if things were different then, things would simply be different now - no big deal at all! I would just be a girl, oh what a wonderful dream that is, and everything would have to be the way that it would be if that were true. An no one would care or know the difference for that is the "way things are."

And I would be doing something different than I am doing right now, and would not be anything at all like the same person I am now, but it would be just fine. I would love it, I know. I am pretty sure of that, well not entirely sure. Not sure at all, actually.... But it is an interesting notion, anyway.

Rickie :daydreaming:

Aurora27
03-05-2009, 04:51 AM
I'm not so sure on this one. If I started all over again, but as a female - I wonder if I would be incredibly frustrated that I wasn't a guy... sitting here on the floor mourning the separation of an ex-husband instead of an ex-wife.

Despite my life becoming dark and painful, but I don't think I'd trade it. I am learning so much about myself and the person that I am - if I had had it all given to me on a platter I don't think I'd appreciate anywhere near as much.

Ashlyee Paige
03-06-2009, 02:11 AM
WOW!, I was going to get on here and say in a minute, then I read Karen and Lisa's comments along with a few others and really got me thinking about it. Its true you are molded from your exp. in life and would you actually be the same person? it reminded me on the movie, "the family man" with nicolas cage where he had this great life then was thrust into an alternate life with a family and realized what he gave up, damn now im starting to tear up talking about this, damn emotions :<, just really makes you think about life and we are all very special and have exp that truly define us.

Gwendolyn
03-06-2009, 08:52 PM
I'm sort of all-or-nothing on the issue.

I would do it in .01 seconds if I could...but since I can't I choose to do absolutely nothing.

Franicne
03-06-2009, 09:07 PM
i'd obviously change my gender to a girl if i had a chance. also my name would be something cool like francine or jenniffer

Nicole Erin
03-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Who knows what a new path would bring?
I really don't know about this one...

I figured if my life went no where so far being male, I probably would be just as much a nobody if I was female.

But like raquel said - to go thru the first part of life with all the knowledge I DO have now would be really overwhelming. I mean a little kid who could comunicate and understand on an adult level would probably have a strange life.

imarocker2
03-06-2009, 10:42 PM
I would tell me to get on "the path" when I was a teenager and save myself lots of confusion and sadness.

Joann Smith
03-06-2009, 10:57 PM
yeah Me being me ...I Would go back and change..But my luck being as it is I would come back as a woman..with cross eyes ,a big head , buck teeth, one tit in the front and a hump on my back...And me being the rocket scientist that i am ..I wolud probally marry some guy that likes to use my big head for a punching bag...Probally have a litter of his ugly babies as well ...all with my looks and his brains of course..which means they will be living my basement till they 40 , Drink alot be unemployed and stink just like thier dad..

Oh..did i mention..don't let the dog lick your face cause he eats his own poop..

Yeah sign me up ..I want a womans life is awsome!!!

robyn1114
03-06-2009, 11:28 PM
There are many things I'd like to go back and correct, but I don't think I would want to start life all over again

akaCathy
03-08-2009, 04:17 PM
I still wake up in the morning and in the dark, before I move or turn on the light, I wish I could look down and see that I was now a woman. I would use the machine in a New York minute.

Shikyo
03-10-2009, 07:42 AM
I would love to go back and do this, but first of all I could never give up on my wife. There is also no way knowing how my life would become after that. I would have to re-live all my childhood, the school and everything else. There is only one way I would do it straight away: Only my sex would change, but I would end up just the way I am now with my beloved wife and all the experience I got from before etc. Otherwise I'd simply say: Thank you, but no thank you.

kellycan27
03-27-2009, 11:39 PM
Yes, In a New York minute! There is really one person that I truly care about, and being the man that he is I am sure he would understand and probably even encourage me. family... have none that care about me. I'd miss my friends. Other than that..... I am down!

Cait
04-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Although its pretty much all I have dreamed about for as long as I can remember I think I would probably come back pretty much as I am now (minus a thing or two and with several new desirable additions of course). I'd prefer a machine that allowed me to switch between genders seamlessly. Please submit the blueprints for this ASAP.xx

Karen__Starr
04-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Would not as it would not be me, it would be a competely different entity:)

TxKimberly
04-05-2009, 05:20 PM
If I had a time machine I'd visit the 1800's and the 1950's for cross dressing!
No, I would not sacrifice the life I have now for anything.

Lol, Judith. Suddenly I'm surprised there was never an episode of sliders where they met oppositely gendered versions of themselves. That would have been great. :D

I've got news for you - you are mistaken! There WAS a couple of episodes dealing with a Female version of Quinn. She was NOT a nice person, though she had them all fooled for a while.

Aubrey Green
06-07-2009, 02:42 PM
A timemachine to change sex at birth. Interesting! I would say yes. Maybe my older brother wouldn't have used me and my younger brother as punching bags as often. :D I think, just in general, if the time machine was available. I would go back to when Aubrey made herself and her intentions known at 13 and I would have stuck with my original plan and moved out at 18 and started transitioning right then and there. There would have been alot of family issues to deal with, but maybe they would have actually seen me happy and not just content. :daydreaming:

Priss
06-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Would I use it and change everything? That's a really tough question. I probably couldn't give a real answer without real possibility of being able to do it. I can say, that I'd sit down and give it serious consideration, but I don't think I would...

Here's my reasoning. I've managed to get to the point where Iam happy with myself, who and what Iam. Being in that place changes the need to go back and do such a thing. As much as I may want to think that I would still be in this place if things were different, I realize that it would be very unlikely. Being born female would have been a pretty big change in my life, especially if I were comfortable in the role. I could very likely have ended up just another unwed mother stuck in a small town, just like my own mother. Why you ask, because the whole experience of growing up would have been different. Girls are brought up differently than boys. As it was, I had quite a bit of freedom as I was growing up. If I were a girl then, I would have been very likely to be more sexually open, and probably would have had a reputation, hence the likelihood of being an unwed mother. Let's face it, the whole need for a "Take our Daughters to Work" day, is to show them that they can grow up to be anything that they want to be. While Iam not that old, and women have been going to college for a very long time, still the girl I consider my bestest friend from high school, even though she went to college is an unwed mother back in my home town. As far as I can tell, she's happy, but everything is more often than not a struggle. She's college educated, has a good job, but is drastically underpaid. I could just as easily be living right across the street in the same or worse circumstances.

But it's so hard to know how things would have really went were this a possibility. I think that before making such a decision, I'd want to know the consequences of the decision beforehand. Perhaps get the whole George Bailey on it. You know, as in It's a Wonderful Life...:2c:

Sejd
06-08-2009, 12:41 AM
To be honest with you, I wish I had just been born a normal kid with a normal sexuality and gender. That would have been OK with me. The thing is though, that the older I get, the more I believe in fate. I think it was my fate to be born this way, and I have to deal with it and get the best out of it. That is my challenge in life. If I fail, I will leave a pretty bad legacy, but if I succeed, I will be remembered as a courageous person. that's my 25 cents.
Sejd

Sammy777
06-09-2009, 01:09 AM
My take on that. Sign me up.

You may lose everything and everyone you love. But that really doesn't matter for two reasons.
One, once done you will have no memory of those things.
Two, you would have never lost them because you would have never had them in the first place.

You would have grown up living your life making friends and gaining exp in much of the same way as now minus all the years of BS and excess baggage.

Lets put it this way,
I, if given the choice, would rather have been born and grown up a girl.
Not because I think the grass is greener on the other side.
A womans life is not all bon bons and roses but I would trade my life right now for a so so even boring life knowing, feeling and being the person I was meant to be.
Just the though of a life of never questioning who you are would be enough for me.

Swottie
06-26-2009, 03:28 AM
Instead of changing myself, I would change the world to be more accepting of CD! To make it "normal", to make clothing for male as interesting and varied as female clothes. That way everyone can feel comfortable.