PDA

View Full Version : Their Own Hair

Maddie22
03-02-2009, 06:41 PM
I am wondering, who does not use a wig and use their own hair. I have been thinking lately of growing mine out, however, I have some stipulations.
1.)I can't have it too long, I will be working in a sales position, has to be fairly conservative, but not banking conservative.
2.) I want to be able to style it in different ways, where I look different from guy mode to female mode.

So in a way a Unisex cut, but one where it can be styled fitting either a men's cut or women's.83256

I have been thinking of maybe a bob might be ok, where I can slick/gel it back in a wavy manner in guy mode, and style it down in girl mode.
What have you all done with your hair, for people that have their hair where they style it both ways? Is anyone familiar with any styles that can be done in multiple ways? Here are some pictures of styles I have thought of both guy and girl modes. I'm not sure if they will work though.
I'd love to know you all's opinion. Thanks Friends!!

Maddie22
03-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Here are a few other female looks

Please let me know what you all think, and if these styles could be used in a masculine approach and be suitable for a high end sales job.
Thanks!!

Kerrylee61
03-02-2009, 06:48 PM
My hair is pretty much shoulder length and has a fair amount of natural wave to it. I wear it in a ponytail all the time making use of gel to keep things out of the way.

As for girl mode, though I haven't tried it yet, I can curl it with very little effort or for that matter just blow dry it with a round brush. I've been trying to come up with a cut that I can wear with bangs to cover up some of the wrinkled brow in both modes but haven't found anything yet.

My wife is really supportive but the long hair bugs her although she doesn't say much if I just wear it in a pony tail. Anything else gets her kind of twitchy. She has very fine hair and can't do a thing with it so it's kind of the green eyed monster thing I think.

Hugs
Kerry

JoAnne Wheeler
03-02-2009, 06:55 PM
I wish you well not matter what style you get - but some of us ca only

remember when we had hair (on our head)

JoAnne Wheeler

"I'm an all American Bluegrass Girl and Proud As I Can Be"

SweetCaroline
03-02-2009, 06:58 PM
I use my real hair. Never worn a wig in my life. It's fairly long, shoulder length, but passable for both male and female. Basically I just comb it differently when presenting en femme, and have fun with head bands and hair accessories.

Incidentally, I know quite a few T-girls who do wear wigs that are shorter than my own hair, but more feminine styled. So yes, short hair can work just as well.

KandisTX
03-02-2009, 07:06 PM
My hair is midway down my back so I use my own hair, although, I do have a wig (as seen in my avatar) as well. This is a personal choice and if you feel you can get away with a femme style then by all means do so.

Kandis:love::rose2:

sandcastle
03-02-2009, 08:01 PM
:) Is there any religion, or other organisation, where growing your hair in such a style was obligatory? So there would be no questions when at work.

Persephone
03-02-2009, 10:20 PM
I've had long, shoulder length hair cut in a semi-shag for around 30 years. I've only gotten a "men's" haircut once in that time for an interview for a contract job, when my partner insisted, and it was an enormous mistake.

In guy mode I wear it in a ponytail. Most recently, I've been using a low, nape of the neck, tie off for the "en drab" version, although I've also worn it higher.

I have the front cut for bangs. En drab I just spritz on some light hairspray and comb them back.

En femme I use a ponytail when exercising or casual, otherwise I use hot rollers or a curling iron (or, sometimes, regular rollers) and comb it with a center part, making use of my bangs to cover my forehead.

Once upon a time, on a cross-country road trip many years ago, I was worried about being a long-hair, so I carried a short wig styled for a man's haircut.

Why not reverse the usual CD process and do the same? Enjoy your own longer hair en femme, and wear a short boy-cut wig to work?

Leanne2
03-02-2009, 10:25 PM
Becca,
When I wanted a unisex style I grew my hair out pretty long so Amanda would have a lot to work with. My hair is thick and wavy so she thought a wedge style would work for me. It does and I love it. A good beautician should have three hairstyles in mind when she sees your hair. One for people that don't have time to or don't want to mess with hair. One for people that like to primp. And one in between the two extremes.
I love to mess with my hair; set it on rollers or use a curling iron, so the wedge works for me. But everyone is different. Talk to your beautician and see what she thinks. Good luck! Leanne

TerriM
03-02-2009, 10:28 PM
Hi
I have been using my own hair for quite a few years now. I have a job that I cant grow my hair long. I have a great hairdresser that cuts in a way that it can be styled both in a male and a femme way. My suggestion is go to a hairdresser with a pic of you in female mode and tell her that what you want. All she can say is that I dont do that or I cant. In today's economy I dont think there are to many places sending away customers. I will try to post some other pics so you can see how good my hairdresser is.

Jess_cd32
03-02-2009, 10:28 PM
I use my natural hair sometimes when cd'ing which is just about touching my butt, also a blonde wig, pink and black wig:doh: and a black one that I haven't used much. I enjoy the changeup to whatever suits my mood. Also have a blonde wig with brown tints and colored streaks.

I've had long hair since childhood and have never been without it, even when it wasn't popular or 'in style', I set my own trends and always will for myself.

............Once upon a time, on a cross-country road trip many years ago, I was worried about being a long-hair, so I carried a short wig styled for a man's haircut. ..........

Charlie Daniels wrote a song called "Uneasy Rider" about a similar trip.
Its listed in the Lounge here under 'post your favorite rock and roll songs', check it out, you'll relate to it and have a laugh.

CharleneT
03-02-2009, 10:34 PM
I have never worn a wig either, just my natural hair (which is long). I would suggest that you find a CD friendly hair-stylist and talk to them about what cuts they could do that can be styled either "way". Make sure you find someone you can be very honest with !

Charlene

Marie O
03-03-2009, 08:30 AM
I have been wearing wigs also, But would like to grow mine out! I was thinking of a bob style also! I think it would be easy to style both feminine and masculine when needed! Good Luck!

Samantha B L
03-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Hi Becca, I think it's just great that you want to do your own hair. For about 2 years after I got out of high school and I was still living at home I had hair halfway down my back. I would work on it all the time. I had rollers,a hand blow dryer,dippety do,aquanet hairspray and bobby pins. I'd give myself Top Knots,Updos,beehives and boofoos. It was tremendous fun except I went out that way a whole lot and I almost got my ass kicked more than once. I threw so much frost and tip and miss clairol on my hair that strands of it finally started to turn green and orange. So I got my hair cut into a shag and I started doing wigs instead. That was about 30 years ago. Becca,if you want to do your own hair I think that's really cool.

Debie
03-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Becca

I to have been thinking about growing my hair out so that I could fix it in 2 different styles. Wiggs might look better but I like the idea of having my on hair.

Sarasometimes
03-03-2009, 10:42 AM
I think the easiest would be to let it grow and keep it one length. For male mode you put it in a ponytail and in girl mode you braid it, curl it, flip it, go with a high pony, chignon... the tough part is going to be growing it and living with the inbetween stages. A great hairdresser is key to doing the more safisticated unisex styles. Sales jobs can make this more difficult. So much of sales is appearance.

Maddie22
03-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. One thing is that I dont really like the pony tail look. I'd rather style it in a men's way, and I don't want my hair that long to put it into much of a pony tail... I was thinking that wavy slicked back look like the two pictures of the guys that I posted

Sammy777
03-04-2009, 05:34 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. One thing is that I dont really like the pony tail look. I'd rather style it in a men's way, and I don't want my hair that long to put it into much of a pony tail... I was thinking that wavy slicked back look like the two pictures of the guys that I posted

If you are going to keep it at or slightly above the collar the two mens styles look fine but about the only thing you could probably do with them is part your hair on the opposite side.
[most men's hair is parted on their left, most women part their's on the right.]

Your other option is to do a "moe" haircut.
"Moe" from the 3 stooges [the one with the bowl cut] was able to have that god ugly haircut but still was able to change it up for everyday.

My strange point????

Well you might be better off getting a fully female cut that you can manage/change into an everyday guy mode look rather then getting a mens cut you can adopt to a female look.

If you are happy to slick it back anyway why not, right?

Like your 2nd pic [katie's] cut or the 3rd cut from the 2nd post may work in a slicked back guy look.

PS: As far as changing the side of the part goes......
It does have a noticeable effect, I should know because that is mostly what I do with my hair, <--- see avatar.

rainskywh
03-24-2009, 08:37 PM
That hairstyle was very beautiful. I love it . I want to choose a bridal hair accessories (http://www.hairaccessoriesusa.com/) . Can you tell me where it's ? Thanks million.:love:

kellycan27
03-24-2009, 09:09 PM
Early on when my hair was shorter I had it stlyed, the only bad thing was that I could never get it to look the same way as the stylist had...LOL.
I looked quite silly... I thought.

Cristi
03-24-2009, 10:18 PM
I never wear a wig. I own one (the first one I ever bought, just a month or so ago) but after getting used to my own long hair for so long can't get used to having it on.

My own hair (as you see it in my avatar photo) is down my back. I wear it straight and in a ponytail in 'guy' mode, but with a little work I can get a nice curl into it when dressed. The only problem is my hairline... which at my age is starting to creep back. I'll continue to play with different styles that let me 'fill in' the area of my forhead.

I'd LOVE to find an excuse to get a perm, so I can go out without all the work of curlers and hairspray...

Raquel June
03-25-2009, 12:58 AM
I think you're underestimating just how much effort the styling takes on those kinds of mid-length haircuts. You'd probably be better off just wearing a wig.

If you want good girl hair you should probably just get a girl haircut. It's easy enough to not really do much with it then have it look kinda masculine as long as it's a somewhat longer style.

Apparently the key to a guy getting away with having a girl's haircut is to look slightly pissed off.

kellycan27
03-25-2009, 01:16 AM
Wigs can come off at the most inopportune times........:heehee:

Sammy777
03-25-2009, 02:05 AM
Apparently the key to a guy getting away with having a girl's haircut is to look slightly pissed off.

Not to mention that some sort of goat-t [as seen in the pics] doesn't hurt either. lol

Stefanie_Adams
03-25-2009, 06:20 AM
HI, I am still lucky enough to have my own hair. I do wear it long and love to go to the salon to have it done. I have only hinted to my hair dresser how I wanted it cut and I think she gets the idea. I did tell her once since I wear it long I can only look a woman's styles since most "guys" don't wear their hair long these days.
when I got my ears pierced and she saw them for the first time she said we need to cut it so we can show those earrings :battingeyelashes: but we are still working on it.
I know she got the idea because one day when I came home my wife commented that I look like a girl. now if I could only style it like my hairdresser does.

izzfan
03-25-2009, 04:29 PM
I have been growing my hair for the past few months, it is about shoulder-length right now- short hair looks absolutely awful on me. I don't know how long I will let it grow to though as it can get in my eyes sometimes. Shoulder-length is probably alright because as some of the other posts have said, it can be made to look quite androgynous [when in "Bob Mode", I usually wear a bandana to keep it out of my eyes, when en-femme, I use hairgrips].

One good thing about long hair is that there is less bother with wigs [when my hair was shorter, I only had a couple of very cheap wigs which really didn't look particularly good] although it can be a bit impractical at times.

Carin
03-25-2009, 08:01 PM
I really do not like wigs. I have long hair, usually in a ponytail, but styled when I want a more femme look.

<--------- Own hair

lynn27
03-25-2009, 08:33 PM
My own hair. I have three or four wigs but rarely wear them.

I have been growing it out for about 16 months now. I am able to do a lower ponytail but like going with the one that goes thru the back of a baseball cap.

I have been to two different hairdressers for trims and each time made it clear I wanted a female style. The first time the gal even started plucking my eyebrows to 'balance them out'...:D

Sigrid Cutie
03-25-2009, 08:44 PM
well, i've had long hair since i was a kid and it has never been a problem for me, not sure about the codes where you work but i have seen a lot of males with long hair doing all kind of jobs, even at banks.

i'm in the IT business so i can wear it the way i want.
so is up to you, start letting it grow and if at work have any objections they will let you know "hair is getting to long" or something like that.

good luck your your hair, and yes having long hair is the best.