PDA

View Full Version : Chickened out....

Dannie Lefae
03-03-2009, 12:21 PM
I had to stop at the local drug store today for a couple odds and ends and I figured while I was there I would take a stroll down the make-up isle (Since I purged a while ago, I have very little). So, here I am in drab looking over foundations, trying to think as to which would be better for me when along comes an sa. She asked me if she could help me with anything. My first thoughts are, "Why yes, which foundation do you think would be best for my skin type and color?", but what I did was panic. You see, I am not out, nor do I feel safe coming out. I live in a very red-neckie type small town. I hate to stereotype, but it is what it is. I volunteer on the FD and rescue here as well as at a couple local places. I also work for a company that deals with the community quite abit. So, my coming out would be difficult to say the least. So, to make a long story short, I said no thank you and left. It is so hard to be who you are where I live. Anything or anyone different is not accepted. Oh well. Evetually I just won't care what anyone says or thinks and I will just be me, but for now, I will just hang out in my closet.

Em

SherylynJade
03-03-2009, 12:33 PM
I can't count how many times that's happened

CharleneT
03-03-2009, 12:56 PM
a small suggestion, if you are concerned about such (and it can be a VERY legit concern), and you are about to go down that aisle, think of a snappy answer first. By bolting you may be giving more away than if you simply said, "my girl friend asked me to pick up some XXX and I'm not sure I have the name right ...." or something similar. You can always follow up with "..hmmm don't want to get it wrong and end up in the dog house, better double check..." THEN walk away.

mykhelee
03-03-2009, 01:25 PM
I would suggest finding a beauty supply store. We have a Sally Beauty Supply a few mile from me. All of the ladies there are very helpful, they all know I am buying for myself. You will not likely have to worry about running into an SA who would out you...they want your money for product, not judge you.:)

Karren H
03-03-2009, 01:34 PM
I can't count how many times that's happened

Yeah. Same here... Then one day......booommmm...... Now they don't ask me any more since I know as much or more about makeup than most drug store sa's...

Go on back and give it another shot!!

JoAnne Wheeler
03-03-2009, 01:36 PM
I understand completely - living in a small town in the Bluegrass State of

Kentucky where everybody pretty well knows everybody and gossip travels

faster than the speed of light - I did make an exception to this at the local

LENSCRAFTERS where I selected, was fitted by SAs and purchased several

pairs of womens prescription eyeglasses for JoAnne last Fall. The SAs were

very, very nice and professional to me and did not bat an eye.

JoAnne Wheeler

"I'm an all American Bluegrass Girl and Proud As I Can Be"

aprilgirl
03-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Considering you live in a small town Emilie I would imagine it would be very difficult to shop for femme things. If your goal is not to out yourself I think what you did was wise as opposed to "chickening out". May I suggest shopping in another town. It may not be as convenient, but you would'nt have to worry about running into someone you know.