PDA

View Full Version : Empire Dress

Megan_Okana
03-05-2009, 05:36 AM
I love the look of Empire dresses. So I searched all over the internet for dressing about my body shape. The kind almost all of us have, broad shoulders narrow waist. Half the sites say stay away from them and the other half say they are the perfet fit. I dont want to spend 50+ dollars on something that isnt going to look good. So from all of your experiences, do you think its a good or a bad style for a CD?

karina36
03-05-2009, 07:28 AM
Depends what you want to show or hide. I like empire dresses because they hide any undesired bump down there, and because I like to be able to see my bra straps. On the other hand, it does rather emphasise your shoulders, which may not be the most delicate and feminine of your features. They do swirl quite well, and I suppose you can always fantasise about being a Jane Austen character as in 'Oh Mr Darcy, you're so strong and masterful':heehee:

Amanda.D
03-05-2009, 07:36 AM
Hi Megan,
Yes, i like them because they emphasise the hips, which evens out the shoulders. Worn with a corset and the look is quite stunning.
Hugs,
Mandy

Amy Hepker
03-05-2009, 08:01 AM
They are beautiful, but where are you going to wear it? A Party, a Date or just in your house. These kind of Dresses are high class and would be wore at a Ball or other fancy occasion. If you are just going to wear it around home, it does not matter. Wear what you enjoy wearing. It is not something to wear to Wal-Mart.

LisaElizabeth
03-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Megan,
The ONLY way you are going to find out if the dress is right for you is to TRY IT ON!!!!
So-o-o-o-o that means, put on your makeup, a skirt and blouse or jeans and a nice top and go have a shopping trip!
Hugs,
Lisa E

Megan_Okana
03-05-2009, 08:33 AM
I found one that isnt very expensive and i think its very cute

http://www.amazon.com/London-Times-Empire-Waist-Dress-Black/dp/B001LIW0HQ/ref=wl_it_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1E7GT37A6U7SD&colid=1OFANWP24A6T5

This would have to be worn out somewhere

TGMarla
03-05-2009, 08:35 AM
Empire style dresses merely mean that they gather below the bustline rather than at the waist. You can find lots of them on Ebay. Just know your measurements, and you can practically steal them there.

JoAnne Wheeler
03-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Follow Marla's advice - she is an absolute PRO when it comes to finding

dresses - she really is

JoAnne Wheeler

Hope
03-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Empire style dresses merely mean that they gather below the bustline rather than at the waist.

This is exactly it.

And because the dress flares from under the bust instead of from the waist, it hides a multitude of sins. The empire cut is the salvation of many a big girl.