PDA

View Full Version : CDing in the military?

jordyn.wayne
03-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Good evening ladies, I'm a new member, a new C/D, and in the military in the desert, i'v done a lot of reading the past few months and learned about the difficulties C/Ds have, there are a few added on top. privacy is slim to none, the social environment is much less accepting, and the availability of fem articles of clothing is slim as well. Dose anybody have an opinion on weather or not alternative lifestyle persons should be permitted in the military.

trisha59
03-05-2009, 05:13 PM
I personally feel that a persons life style should have no bearing on weather one serves their country. Granted when you are required to wear the uniform you would be wearing the appropriate one. But your activities on your own time should be your business only.

Hope
03-05-2009, 05:22 PM
I personally feel that a persons life style should have no bearing on weather one serves their country. Granted when you are required to wear the uniform you would be wearing the appropriate one. But your activities on your own time should be your business only.

Amen to that.

Of course - that is not the way it IS... So... be careful. Be discreet.

Jonianne
03-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Welcome, Jordyn, to the forum. There are definatly a number of military and ex-military from many countries here so you will be right at home. Usually we pretty much sat cd'ing aside while serving (unless there was a private time at home on leave). I hope you enjoy your time here.

Karen564
03-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Hi Jordyn,
I'm not trying to be a hard nose here on this, But my thoughts are while one is signed up to serve, CDing or ANY alternative thinking should be the farthest thing from anyone's mind.. but after they get discharged, whatever they do is their own business.

God bless you guy's..

Karen

JulieC
03-05-2009, 05:58 PM
Welcome Jordyn!

Unfortunately, you didn't tell use which country's military you are in. This could have a bearing on the answers you receive. I have experience with the US Navy, so my answers come from that vantage point.

If you're in the US military, you know there's a "don't ask, don't tell" policy regarding homosexuality. Chances are very high that if you were found to be crossdressing, you'd be viewed as gay...your protestations not withstanding (assuming you aren't). You'd be drummed out of the military post-haste, and with less than an honorable discharge.

If you attempt to crossdress while not on leave, you do so at your own peril. Literally. I was verbal witness to serious abuse visited upon another sailor who was thought to be gay. It was brutal, and the fellow was lucky to survive. Nothing was ever done about it.

Your only chances for crossdressing would be on leave, well away from ANYone that you know, and certainly well away from anyone in the military who would have a clue you are in the military.

Failing that, I agree with what another poster said; shelve any crossdressing urges until you're no longer serving. That might be next to impossible to do.

I never once combined crossdressing with my uniforms, even underdressing. There were many times when I really, really wanted to put on a pair of pantyhose underneath my uniform. But, I knew the consequences of being discovered were very high, and the chance of being discovered was always present.

deja true
03-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Bless you Jordyn...

...but please follow Julie's advice.

You're already in enough danger...no need to compound it from your own side.

respect & love,

deja

:<3:

trisha59
03-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Dose anybody have an opinion on weather or not alternative lifestyle persons should be permitted in the military.

I don't think the OP was asking if they should cross dress. They were just asking a general question on whether alternative lifestyle people should be able to serve

jordyn.wayne
03-05-2009, 06:17 PM
I fully comprehend, and have personally witnessed the effects of others attitudes towards those with alternative views and lifestyles in the US navy. I don't CD while in uniform, or around anybody in the service, just in private, there are guys in my unit that suspect i'm different, by no means gay, and they accept me for all my weird habits and behaviors. i don't plan on comming out until i have been honorably discharged, in less than a year. then it's game on!!!

StaceyJane
03-05-2009, 06:25 PM
Hi Jordyn, I did my year out in the desert. I think my urge to CD was less because out in the desert the women wore the exact same clothes as the men. None of that "I love that outfit, I wish I could wear it" because the fact was I was wearing the same outfit as the girls. really the best you can do is come home safe then take some serious time to indugle that female side of you. :) I would recomend a whole day at a spa. You will feel wonderful afterward.

TxKimberly
03-05-2009, 06:58 PM

I agree whole heartedly! I think anyone wiling and able to serve their country should be allowed to do so. I spent over a decade active duty Army myself.
By the way, thank YOU for stepping up and serving your country.

Well, we could mail you a few things, but I'm fairly sure your mail isn't going to be a lot more private than your living arrangements! LOL

gretchen2
03-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Jordyn thank you for your service to our country assuming that you are an American. It is so hard to deny the dress. Exercise caution!!!

Kathi Lake
03-05-2009, 10:30 PM
I did do a bit of dressing in Iraq last year - nothing much, of course. I confined myself to underdressing (nice comfy cotton - perfect for those 130 degree days :)) and a skirt I brought. Luckily, my rank was high enough that I had a "private" room in my tent.

As others have said, use caution. As you know, your fellow soldiers/sailors/airmen/marines can turn on you like a pack of rabid dogs. They smell "difference" and they smell fear. Don't give them the excuse they're looking for to paint a target on your back.

Kathi

Barbaraheels
03-05-2009, 10:47 PM
CD's should definately be allowed in the military, but its next to impossible to dress. Your absolutely right about no privacy and not to mention no acceptablity among peers. However it does make you appreciate it more when you do get the chance to dress. Enjoy your time in the military, you will have plenty of time to dress when you get out.

Teri Jean
03-05-2009, 11:39 PM
Jordyn, Thank you for your service to your country, especially in these times. Many do not know the commitment that comes from stepping forward and giving your pledge but there are many sisters who have and can be helpful. There has been a number who have given you advice about dressing while serving and they are right, the down side may not be worth it. But the original question is should individuals of diverse life styles be allowed into the service and there I would say yes. There is the need to separate their life style for the uniformity fo the service and focus on the job at hand. Distractions can get in the way of your service and could also put you in danger from friendly "fire", so to speak. Please be careful and remember there will come a time where you will be able to dress as you like and live as you would like. Keli

lingerieLiz
03-05-2009, 11:44 PM
Having served, I can tell you that it is bad news if you get caught. Heard about someone who fell asleep one night in bra and panties. When waking up the next morning he was observed and discharged quickly. This was long ago, but I doubt it has changed.

foxyjj111
03-06-2009, 12:08 AM
i can say that i wear a uniform during the day, and perform quite a valuable job i must say; and i can tell you there are plenty of us in the military. i have personally met them on the weekends while i was dressed.

what i can tell you is just be carefull. dont go to a dangerous place at two in the morning and get mugged while wearing a skirt. keep yourself safe. Operational Risk Management sweetheart. be careful what clubs or bars you go to.

anyway...have fun and get out and like i say...be careful.

Annette_boy
03-06-2009, 12:09 AM
Hi Sisters

I spent 23 years in U.S.Navy (1964 -1970 and 1982 - 1999)and it is tough being CD and Trans Gendered
Caution and Discretion is a must of course even managed to keep Security Clearences I only dressed when on leave or at Liberty for a weekend and I was not near the Base or ship .
As far as the question of alowing alternatave folks serv I say yes let us serve if we desire and for us girls we could weare the proper female uniforns and BDU's aer unisex anyway only specificly female item in the camoflage clothing are the maternity trousers otherwise both wear the same cut in the camoflage clothing

Thanks to all those who have and are serving to defend us all
Hugs and Kisses
Annette

jessbcuzz
03-06-2009, 01:40 AM
I did 10 years between active duty and the reserves. I never got caught on active duty, but was outed when I was in the reserves. My honest take on it is that it shouldn't matter. However, there are still those who are against it. All I can tell you is be careful. Just as teenage girls can out a crossdresser no matter where at, military personnel can out other comrades in a crowd no matter what they are doing.

tamarav
03-06-2009, 05:36 AM
Welcome to the forum!

If you are in the desert in CA then you are probably a Marine. Say hi to my Son if you are there, but don't tell him about your CDing...

Your new sis,

Tami

Shari
03-06-2009, 05:47 AM
Should alternative lifestyles be allowed to serve?
Yes.
Are they?
No.

The military's stance is don't ask don't tell.
Keep it in the closet except when you're on leave and even then, I would recommend that you don't do anything more than stay in your motel room.
A less than honorable discharge will dog you the rest of your life.

An ex Marine's salute to you for serving your country.

Beth Wilde
03-06-2009, 06:25 AM
Hi Jordyn,
Just wanted to put in my bit as a member of the UK military. I do CD though not with uniform, got a private mess room and I do dress of an evening or go out and do it. Although I am openly gay, cos the European court sensibly overruled the UK ban, nobody knows about Beth as it would probably not go down well. I have gone to forces parties dressed as a laugh (or so they thought). Stay safe out there!

Paula Siemen
03-06-2009, 09:02 AM
GOD BLESS YOU FOR SERVING YOUR COUNTRY AND PROTECTING AMERICA AND OUR WAY OF LIFE!!!!!

just a gratefull American.

JoAnne Wheeler
03-06-2009, 09:19 AM
Don't ask - don't tell - be discrete - put your feminine self in limbo until you

can have a safe opportunity to express yourself - and that is just my opinion

JoAnne Wheeler

JulieC
03-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Well, from reading the other posts here ... it seems to me that nobody should go into the military!

Having served and proudly worn the uniform of my country, I strongly, adamantly disagree with this statement.

Carl Schurz, a U.S. immigrant from Germany who became a senator from Missouri, was Secretary of the Interior for four years, and was a general for the Union army during the American Civil War said ""My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right."

Nobody's country is perfect. Hatred is everywhere. We do not stamp out hatred and ignorance by walking away in fear or loathing ourselves, but by participating, by helping to steer, by encouraging reform. Sometimes this reform comes in baby steps, sometimes in great leaps. We do not set to right what is wrong by walking away from it. Doing so does nothing but allow the problem to persist.

For those of us who took the oath, there's a reason we serve(d). Those reasons are varied and cover a broad spectrum of interests, opinions and desires. For my part, I am glad to have served in a military that is not accepting of transgenderism because that same military defends the freedoms of people in my country. These freedoms permit so many of us here on this forum to freely express ourselves as our femme selves without fear of repercussions from the law.

It is not illegal for anyone to wear a dress, pantyhose, heels, wig and makeup in this country regardless of what sex you were born as. The military we might deride for discriminating against transgendered individuals is the same military that defends that freedom to dress as we like.

Our country is the great experiment in freedom. We are a work in progress. God helps us if we ever STOP being a work in progress.

VtVicky
03-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Lest we forget: If it wasn't for the Americans, of every sexual persuasion, who did go in the military, the French would be speaking German, regardless of the clothes they wear.

JulieC
03-06-2009, 01:29 PM
But other posters here are accusing the military of being "brutal" and "rabidly" and violently anti-gay and anti-CD. So how about addressing that?

How about "It's true"?

Doesn't make me any less proud to have served. I served my country, not the military per se.

jordyn.wayne
03-06-2009, 02:45 PM
GIrls,
I didn't mean to cause such a hullabaloo, but i consider this a serious topic and figured this forum would be a valid place for discussion. I have been active for ten years now, and have seen the full spectrum of treatment of those with alternative lifestyles from blatant acceptance to pure hat and violence. I know better than to try to come out while i'm active, and i excersize discretion when i dress. I don't do it here, and won't be going out when i get home untill i get out at the end of the year. I am a solid patriot, and i am proud of the time i have served, i agree that we are a work in progress, and with continued promting and guidence, americans as a whole will eventually become a more accepting and understanding country.
Kisses,
Jordyn

TxKimberly
03-06-2009, 08:21 PM
Lest we forget: If it wasn't for the Americans, of every sexual persuasion, who did go in the military, the French would be speaking German, regardless of the clothes they wear.

No question we made a significant contribution there, but in deference to our members from Great Britain, Canada, Australia, Russia, and many other countries, lets not forget that we didn't do it alone. A lot of good people from a lot of nations fought and died to bring freedom back to those that had lost it.

Angie G
03-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Yes I do think they should be able to serve in the military. And I thank and salute every man and womam who is or has served.You and all who have served A very big THANK YOU. I'm be proud to call you my friend.:hugs:
Angie

KandisTX
03-06-2009, 10:10 PM
No question we made a significant contribution there, but in deference to our members from Great Britain, Canada, Australia, Russia, and many other countries, lets not forget that we didn't do it alone. A lot of good people from a lot of nations fought and died to bring freedom back to those that had lost it.

Kimberly,

You are correct that we were not alone, but if you also remember, before the US got involved in Europe, Germany was almost the entire continent of Europe. The French, Polish, Austrians, had fallen, and the English were not too far behind. We assisted them with ships and arms but the German U-Boats were devastating the shipping lanes. The tide turned against the Germans at Normandy. ;)

Now, back on topic. I served in the United States Air Force, and when my first wife outed me to my First Seargent, let's just say things got messy for me. I managed to make it through that nightmare and get back my Top Secret clearance and continued my term without incident. My dressing was done MOSTLY at home in private. I did underdress (panties and pantyhose), but only occasionally. Proud to have served? You bet your butts I am. Would I serve again? In a New York Minute.

Kandis:love::rose2:

Nicki B
03-06-2009, 11:05 PM
The tide turned against the Germans at Normandy. ;)

Surely the tide started to turn first, in N.Africa & Italy? US troops were involved in both those theatres..

But many in the US don't seem to be aware that there were five landing beaches in Normandy - and that US forces only landed at two of them? That's why they were called 'Allied' landings.. :sad:

it seems to me that nobody should go into the military!

But an awful lot of us do... (My experience would be at least 25% of us have served, at one time or another.) It seems to go together, consciously or unconsciously, with trying to prove our 'manliness'? :idontknow:

Armed Forces tend to be a microcosm of the country they belong to, don't they? :strugglin Gays do now serve in the UK and I know three serving TSs. I've also known two who served while dressing openly part-time..

But energies have to be focussed on one thing, when you're in an active AO?

robyn1114
03-06-2009, 11:21 PM
I'm proud to serve in the U.S. military its been a pretty good job to me for many years, I just wish I'd taken more advantage of the opportunities the military offers.

With that being said after a life time of suppressing my true nature and playing the proper male role I find it increasing difficult to continue. I've grown to hate the military for forcing me to continue with my charades. I know it's not the military fault it's just easier to blame them for their closed minded policies then to take ownership of the blame myself. I wish I could roll back time and take advantage of those opportunities I talked about and gotten out tens years ago, but I can't and with only three years left till retirement I'd be an idiot to separate now, no matter how miserable its making me. Sorry about going off in my self pity rant.

As I said I'm proud to have served, I'd be even more so if they would accept us as we are!

BeckiB
03-06-2009, 11:25 PM
I recently retired after almost 30 years in the military. I will say that I never went to work dressed as a woman but that doesn't mean I never dressed. You have to be a little more discrete.
There are rule and regulations that for better or worse can be used to punish you if caught. That is the military and we all new that when we enlisted.

I have to strongly disagree with Katie's statement. The brutality against gays and TG's in the military mirrors that of the civilian world. I have a couple friends that new and never thought a thing about it thee were others that would not have handled it so well....but the same is true of the rest of the world.

I would say if you are in the military and a CDer just be smart about it. That applies everywhere actually. Trust me if you were a school teacher and went to work dressed you are going to have some angry parents at school the next day

Shari
03-07-2009, 06:49 AM
Some clarification here.

There were more casualties at Omaha beach (U.S.) than all the other landing sites combined.

And dear Katie, if nobody joined the military, you would now be wearing a swastika on your pretty panties and probably a serial number tattooed on your arm.
That is, if the Reich hadn't already taken you to the showers for the clothes that you wear.

I might also add that Christine Jorgenson was born of the military after world war II.
Look her up. She caused quite the fuss in the postwar U.S. and around the world.
I wonder if she wore panties under her uniform?

Nicki B
03-07-2009, 09:16 AM
There were more casualties at Omaha beach (U.S.) than all the other landing sites combined.

Indeed - and do you know why? :(

:OT:

TxKimberly
03-07-2009, 09:25 AM
Indeed - and do you know why? :(

:OT:

Yes, because it was a war, and sad and awful things happen when men set their minds to killing one another. Folks, lets just all say thank you to those in all of our nations who fought and died for us. Let's not turn this into a contest about who did the most, who gave the most, or who was late to the war. We all know this thread is on the verge of becoming ugly and getting closed down, and that would be shame given the honorable nature of the thread. Can't we all just show our mutual respect and let it get back on topic before things go that far?
(Yes, I realize I am partially responsible for it going this way and I apologize for that)

sally1980
03-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Heavens what a passionate group we all are!!
As with so many I did a plenty of years in the forces.
I would rather have faced the enemy then stand up in a skirt in front of my friends. My issue, not anyone elses.
It is interesting that it appears that a large proportion of CDers are either in or have served in the forces.
I wonder if there is a reason?
Bottom line for me. I never worried about the sexuality, dress preference, race or creed. We were all there because we chose to be.

Elle1946
03-07-2009, 10:35 AM
Location, Location, is where it was with me. When I was on a ship no way, send my pink panties down to the ships laundry, imagine the results. When I was off base, shore duty, I did my own laundry and could wear what I wanted. But, not on duty, to many chances of being uncovered. Good Luck!!

JulieK1980
03-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Well first let me say, thank you for serving! I served as a Navy Corpsman and did discreetly dress the bulk of the time. Just be careful, while most people (like anywhere else) won't care in the least, it only takes one to turn you in and get you pushed out with an administrative discharge.

As for the back and forth on WWII well if you know history, you know the US didn't just go in and save the day, it was a concerted effort of MANY different nations that got the job done. If the troops back then could work together, why are we bickering over it now?

Marissa
03-07-2009, 12:49 PM
("...serious abuse visited upon another sailor who was thought to be gay. It was brutal, and the fellow was lucky to survive. Nothing was ever done about it."... "...your fellow soldiers/sailors/airmen/marines can turn on you like a pack of rabid dogs. ") it seems to me that nobody should go into the military!

Katie, you sure stirred the pot with that statement ;) but that is why this site is special, we can make statements and expect rebuttal, both for and against. At least until the MODS take action..

I wonder what the reaction would be in a Professional Football team locker room if one player walked in wearing a cute skirt and top, in heels..and begins to change to the team uniform???? would it turn ugly? would the biggest guy protect 'him/her'??? would the owners fire the player or attempt to trade to another team?? would another team want 'him/her'????

and how long would it take 'him/her' to recover from the beatings?????

just a thought.

And like others..back to the original question.. :)

Yes, no, maybe... i'm sure that one's personal life would not effect the reaction to defend your squad..or have others defend you.. but then again, given a split second, if one has enough evilness in them, then a shot by 'friendly' fire could happen.

Its the same evilness that allows somoene to hoist a rope on a tree and hang a person based on color only..then go to a near diner and have lunch without thinking twice.

maybe its best to lay low or wait until time served to live out your desires.. not the best answer but the safest both physically and professionally. This allows some to fulfill that deep desire to give for our country.. even if in your own ranks you may be hated or looked down upon.

such a great country where we can speak our minds..well most of the time :)

KellyCD
03-07-2009, 02:08 PM
I can relate considering I am in the same situation. I'm back in the sandbox as well.

You do have to be discreet as well as VERY CAREFUL. When my wife and I had our meltdown she outed me to her entire unit.(yeah I'll explain all of that in another post) So I have to deal with that now.

The only thing that sucks about being here right now is that I only have one pair of panties here....god I hate boxers....

Nicki B
03-07-2009, 06:50 PM
(Yes, I realize I am partially responsible for it going this way and I apologize for that)

Kimberley, I actually thought you said it perfectly -

Let's all just leave it at that? 'Wars' on a thread such as this seems OTT, doncha think? :D

that is why this site is special, we can make statements and expect rebuttal, both for and against. At least until the MODS take action..
such a great country where we can speak our minds..well most of the time :)

Surely no action is required, if we can be respectful of each other? :)

PanteeQueen
03-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Jordan,

I'm in the same boat that you are. There are so many times that I have wanted to wear panties underneath my utilities. The only chance I get is for cold weather/arctic training when I wear panty hose under the excuse that they are warm. If anyone found out, that would be the end of my reputation. I often get a hotel room every now and then to let myself out, because I live in base housing and can't count on who will be at the door or if anyone can see in the windows if the blinds are down. So I too am struggling with expressing myself. But it is also a choice I have made. Anything else, you can come to me.

PQ

CowGurl Rachel
03-12-2009, 10:58 AM
When I was on active duty, I was found out. I was wearing a pink babydoll with panties, garters and stockings in a private room where I *thought* I was safe. Another soldier opened the door and when he saw me, he quickly closed it and left. :o Not minutes later, my sqaud leader came in and confronted me. I explained that I was not gay, just a CD and he said to try and be more discreet or at least lock the door (I had forgotten to). Nothing else happened to me. I am currently in the Army Reserve and I do underdress occaisionally when we aren't doing physical training that day. President Obama is repealing the "don't ask, don't tell" and opt for full integration of gays in the military. (It was not long ago that minority races were not allowed.) However, until that happens remember that even if they suspect, they are not allowed to ask. :heehee: In fact, in my present unit, I have made some off-comments (my sick sense of humor) and have been asked about my personal life and if I'm a CD. I said, "you cannot ask me that, and I wil neither confirm nor deny". :2c:

Rachel

jruiz
03-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Hi Jordyn, I did my year out in the desert. I think my urge to CD was less because out in the desert the women wore the exact same clothes as the men. None of that "I love that outfit, I wish I could wear it" because the fact was I was wearing the same outfit as the girls. really the best you can do is come home safe then take some serious time to indugle that female side of you. :) I would recomend a whole day at a spa. You will feel wonderful afterward.

Well... technically, you were crossdressing. Wait, were the girls crossdressing too? Now I'm confused :tongueout

PanteeQueen
03-12-2009, 12:57 PM
I only do it off duty. Even though I barely have any collection yet, I still wouldn't go out. Like the rules or not, I feel it is part of the sacrifice we make when we join just like the dress codes and everything else we have to follow. I also feel that they offer some protection for us. Not everyone is accepting of our choices and it could cause major distrust, disloyalty and even ourtight dissuborination or worse. My best advice is to plan your leave around any cding you want to do.

Catherine99
03-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Been in for over thirty years, but must be discrete when dressing. Right now I am wearing the Army Combat Uniform (ACU's), but underneath I have on pantyhose, panties and a shaper. Always have to be carefull due to my Top Secret clearance and high rank.
But I am proud to have served and would do it all over again to keep our country safe.

jordyn.wayne
03-12-2009, 06:52 PM
I have been underdressing nearly the entire time i have been in the navy, i have never worried about being outed, my current roomie knows, thinks it is a little odd, but doesn't really care, he knows iv'e got his back regaurdless of what kind of underwear i wear, and he's got mine. when in a combat situation, it's good to 'know' your battle buddy.
Jordyn

Lori A
03-12-2009, 10:14 PM
[QUOTE=TxKimberly;1637251] Let's not turn this into a contest about who did the most, who gave the most, or who was late to the war. Can't we all just show our mutual respect and let it get back on topic before things go that far?

TxKimberly, All gave some...Some gave all:hugs:

I served in the US Army for nearly 13 years, and when we would go to the fie;d state side in the winter I would openly wear pantyhose under my uniform, by openly I mean that the men in my tent would see me getting dressed. When asked why I explained that if Joe Namath could wear them to keep his legs warm while playing professional foot ball, why not? they were a hell of a lot more comfortable than the wool winter gear that was issued, and warmer too. The first time I did a whole body shave was prior to deploying to Desert Shield, 10/90, we had heard from advance parties that body lice were bad over there and I didn't want them to have any repelling ropes, and several members of my platoon did the same.
One day when I was making a PX run one of the females in my unit who couldn't get away asked if I could pick up some things for her. One of the items was Panties. I stood there in her tent with her tent mates and I asked for details, size, color cut, and material. She too was disappointed that they only thing offered was cotton briefs, as she said she much preferred nylon bikinis. Some of her mates asked why I knew so much about the details and why I wasn't too shy to buy them, and I explained that I had been married twice and at the time I had between natural and step children a total of 5 girls. Panties and lingerie were everywhere in the laundry and I might as well get used to it and prepare for worse as the girls got older.
I would occasionally under dress in panties, and shamefully, even stole a pair in the desert, (black, nylon, bikini cut) and slipped them on once I got into my sleeping bag, I was a lot more limber back then. My wife knew that I had a fetish, and one of the women in my unit who didn't go with us due to pregnancy that I had had a fling with before we got married to our spouses.
I salute all of my fellow vets, and would proudly fight beside any of you to protect our way of life. I hold each of them CD or not in the highest regards, even if their Commander in Chief has the same attitude toward them as former president Clinton

cdemily
03-26-2009, 11:34 AM
I am currently serving in the US Air Force and have been crossdressing since I was very young. Obviously took a hiatus from it in basic training and started right back up in tech school before going to my first duty location. I have served for almost 8 years now and have never been outed. I have always been careful and only told the people that I knew I could trust. As for the OP question, I don't think it should matter what you do off duty, or what you wear under your uniform. As long as you aren't doing anything detrimental to the unit or the unit's morale and you can perform your job, you should be able to serve your country. Thats my opinion. However, the don't ask, don't tell policy has to do with homosexuals in the military. Some may say that crossdressing is "gay". But that is not the definition. So it would be easy to fight if you were in a legal battle over what kind of discharge you got if they decided to go that route. But that is neither here nor there, so I will wrap this up since this is getting to be really long. Jordyn, I thank you for your service and good luck in all of your endeavors. I hope that I answered your original question.

Emily

Erica A.
03-26-2009, 11:47 AM
I've always had the utmost respect for Corp. Klinger!

DonnaT
03-26-2009, 11:59 AM
There's only one reason someone transgendered shouldn't serve, and that is if their dysphoria or obsession gets in the way of them doing their job and doing it safely.

Most of us who were or are now in the military can probably attest to the fact that we didn't have any problems that would hinder out ability to perform.

As for dressing, it can be a problem under the UCMJ, but I know of some who are serving, and are known by their superiors. They've just been told to be careful.

One was outed because the use of the on-post computer was monitored for security reasons.

Occasionally, there has been mistreatment, but not usually.

I know one person who mentioned going to a support group meeting, and ran into his Captain and Master Chief there.

Ediosa
03-26-2009, 12:10 PM
I just recently got out of the US Navy, and I have to say that I saw a difference example then what a lot of people are saying. They don't and will probably never know that I was a CD, but I did do it at home. I didn't do it on board the ship. You had others though that we didn't know. Some guys had panties in their coffin lockers and didn't mind showing them off, some saying they are from their girlfriends, and others were actually wearing panties on board the ship during the deployment. They got hazzle and most had a good laugh but that was it. No one was kicking anyones ass and anything like that. It was pure fun. Plus, while during my 12 years in the military, my whole commands(carriers and training commands) knew who was gay and different and it didn't matter. A lot of gays were open about they sexuality, from officers to enlisted, and it was a big deal. It got to the point that one sailor tried to get out of the military by being gay and saying he was gay. It didn't work. He even went to the commander of his department and told him he was gay. The commander said, good for you and get back to work. The guy had the balls to say, well by the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy you are required to kick me out, since I told. The commanders exact words were "Well, I didn't ask, therefore, you need to get back to work". Hell, we even had one guy in my division of 100 people who was openly gay(everyone knew and accepted), and even during the weekends many people saw him out in gay bars and sometimes even dressed in drag. It was funny hearing the Chiefs and Officers talk about him when one of them saw the guy dressed as a girl. Plus, most said that he really looked good. Nothing about, we need to get this guy out, he's a determent to the division and department, nothing. It was very enlightment how much it has changed. I don't know about the other services but I have worked with the Air Force plenty and there was many openly gays in there also, therefore, it depends where, what service, and the people around you.

Beth Wilde
03-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Interesting moment today! I went for an ECG at our (military) medical centre. I thought they just needed to see the chest but had to take my shoes and socks off. I had forgotten I was wearing red nail polish on my toenails!!!! Following the questioning look from the young lady I managed to convince her that I had thought it was one of my friends doing the ECG and it was supposed to be a wind-up. At least, I hope I convinced her......

JulieC
03-26-2009, 12:52 PM
I've always had the utmost respect for Corp. Klinger!

My kids don't know I crossdress, but on the abstract subject I've frequently told them that what people wear is their own business, and while most boys don't wear dresses, some do...and I use Klinger as an example.