PDA

View Full Version : Origins of the phrase "out of the closet"

jruiz
03-06-2009, 10:42 PM
I'd really like to know the origins of the phrase "out of the closet"

Today, it applies to many things, not only sexual orientation. But it seems that the origins of the phrase has to do with crossdressing. I mean, from dressing hidden in a closet to going out in public.

Maybe it's too elaborated, but where do you keep clothes? In the closet!. Where did I try my first panties? In the closet! :D

Am I wrong? Does this phrase helps little to help public opinion separate crossdressing from homosexuality?

I'm not saying that it's wrong to be homosexual, but it's not the same as crossdressing.

Just rambling and with a bit of insomnia...

Kayla Shadows
03-06-2009, 11:19 PM
Here are 2 answers I found.I dont know myself...

It comes from the term 'to have skeletons in your closet', but its usage for 'coming out gay' is only relatively recent (1960s), and was probably coined as a street slang term of the early gay rights movement

.................................................. .................................

The idea of coming out was introduced in 1869 by the German homosexual rights advocate Karl Heinrich Ulrichs as a means of emancipation. Claiming that invisibility was a major obstacle toward changing public opinion, he urged homosexuals themselves to come out.

"Basicly, it was a metaphor for himself, feeling like he was trapped in a closet hiding his sexuality".

In these days it can mean a lot of things.If people dont understand that simple fact then theres not much you can do.At times I didnt even have a closet but I guess Ive always been in it to a point.Ive never dressed in one though,lol.

JoAnne Wheeler
03-07-2009, 08:44 AM
Hiding what you don't want anyone to ever see - and then - you open the

door

JoAnne Wheeler

Nicki B
03-07-2009, 08:56 AM
Does anyone really get dressed in the physical closet? :idontknow:

Isn't that just where you keep things hidden?

Claiming that invisibility was a major obstacle toward changing public opinion, he urged homosexuals themselves to come out.

Sound familiar, to anyone? :)

Sally24
03-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Does anyone really get dressed in the physical closet?
Closets weren't always the tiny things we try to shove our clothes into nowadays.

battybattybats
03-08-2009, 04:22 AM
The idea of coming out was introduced in 1869 by the German homosexual rights advocate Karl Heinrich Ulrichs as a means of emancipation. Claiming that invisibility was a major obstacle toward changing public opinion, he urged homosexuals themselves to come out.

Can you expand on his reasons for why invisibility was an obstacle and on his urging for people to come out?

Kiera
03-09-2009, 06:34 AM
"Out of the closet."

Maybe the very first person to get caught, got caught... comming out of a closet???

:strugglin
Hugs,
Kiera

Sam-antha
03-09-2009, 12:48 PM
In this part of the world,

"closet" = "Bathroom/toilet"

In the Glasgow vernacular "Clo" = Lavatory, whether it be Public or Private

~Samm