PDA

View Full Version : It's never seemed that complicated...

mklinden2010
03-07-2009, 10:46 AM
After a couple of months of reading and posting, I got to noticing that topics tended to repeat themselves. That's OK, in terms of people chatting, but I became concerned about the number of "heavy" topics that kept repeating. That's probably OK too, probably... But, it saddens me that the same things keep worrying people so much. So, here goes...

Most of us began with crossdressing before we had any real idea what we were getting into... Pardon the puns. But, we tried it and liked it enough to want to keep it up. Again, pardon the puns. And, having tried something, and liked it, for the rest of of lives we've had an understandable interest, if not outright affection, for this activity. Sure, it could have been model railroading, carving duck calls, or, air hockey, but this is what we're into... And, the world has hardly come to sudden stop.

If you've read my earlier posts, I finally reached the age when the objections to what I considered pretty harmless, but personally rewarding, started to seem oppressive and stupid. I sat my wife down and explained my concerns and her first words were, "Oh... Is that what you were so worried about? I thought you were going to tell me you were gay or something!"

(As a side note, and as I have previously posted, I was a bit miffed by that... What if I had told her I was gay? Would I get points added or subtracted for that? I have never figured that out and it's decades too late to ask her now. But, later in life, I repeated this conversation with other women who offered all sorts of "solutions" to my "problem." These offers included "Sex. Right here, right now!" to, "Oh... I can help you get a guy!" Which, you know, just brought up more things to ponder. Like, "So, Miss, this turns you on? Is it the ONLY thing that turns you on? I can't do this dressing up thing EVERY night, it's expensive..." to, "A guy? I can get a guy with less trouble than this. What guy? Do you think I need help getting laid? Damn, woman! I have my pride. It just doesn't happen to be gay pride...)

She (to get back to what did happen), then proceeded to cast about for things of hers that I might like and we went shopping several times together until I had what she and I both thought any sensible person with this interest should have. Who wore which clothes was never a big issue in our marriage - which, like many, didn't last forever, for entirely different reasons.

In between my first marriage and my second, I thought I might as well use my freedom to set my own schedule to try things like going out dressed, going shopping for women's clothes on my own, trying the bar thing, etc. I had the clothes to step right into this, but no idea about make-up, conduct, etc. But, as it turned out, the world really didn't care what I did. I got some funny looks, people asked questions, and I just went on with what I had planned to do. There was no noticable impact on my job, my neighbors, my community... Nothing at all. I never pretended to be anything but a person going about their business and, since I had no real opposition, I never really thought there was any. Nothing real... Just noise.

In my second marriage, which I didn't know was going to be my second marriage, I brought this up early in our dating. My future wife's first and only heartfelt complaint was, "But, I want to be the girl!" I still laugh to think of that, though it was years ago and she's since passed away. But, even then she was definitely the "woman" in the house and it was a title she could never loose.

During our marriage we did what I thought was "the usual" shopping and I went out when I cared to; the rest of the time we spent our years together famously and CDing was, once again, not a huge issue. Oh, there were times when we both wanted the other to attend some function with them, but other than that, we just worked out our lives day-by-day and this was just one thing among hundreds in our lives that we worked into our life together.

After her death, there was a long period of mourning. And, there was also that desire - to find and establish another good relationship with someone to have a "normal" life again. People shouldn't live alone if they don't want to and most people do better in a relationship that not.

In finding a new love, there was a great deal of testing. Who knew other women had entirely different ideas about budgets, meal times, house keeping, etc., than my late wife? I was misunderstood for a while until I really starting asking questions and paying close attention to the women I was dating. Yes, I had to really work my interview skills and when red flags popped up, I had to exit those situations and move on.

The point of dating is really not sex, not long dinners and long conversations, not just finding a movie companion; it's finding someone to have a happy life with - however you and the other define happiness. Which, to me, is how you feel, not how much money there is, how many degrees you have, how long you've been in your current job. But, that's just me.

When I realized I'd come across a person I could spend a lot more time with, I realized that in part because I noticed that I had already spent a lot of time with them. And, as that relationship got closer, I realized it was time to share a bit more about myself. When she and I talked, she was taken aback for a bit, but came to me after a while and said, "Well, I was a little surprised, I still am... But, I think the relationship is worth it. So, how do we do this?"

My reply was basically, "I'm glad you said "we" because we'll have to figure out the answer to that. Everybody and every relationship is different... I have some ideas, but what were you thinking we might do?" Her reply, like my first wife's was, "Well, I think maybe we could do some shopping and figure out what you need and works for you. Probably if I can see how this works for you I can better understand how this will work for both of us." Just my luck to keep running into pragmatic partners.

Or, is it luck? When I think about it, I think it is more the way I do things than the things that I do. I can, for example, probably take off all my clothes, lather up with whipped cream, and run down the block and back at dusk while howling like a wolf and my neighbors would probably say, "Oh, there he goes again! What time is CSI tonight?"

I could probably do that because I'd have already have told them enough about myself, what I thought was a good idea, and even when - so that when I got around to it (Having sold tickets and all...) that they would not really surprised or upset. "Yeah, he says and does stuff like that all the time. No biggie."

Crossdressing is not my entire life; it's not fully front and center all the time. But, I am. I offer my political views often. I support and promote "good" causes. I help with neighborhood problems like recycling and trash pickup. I write letters to the editor about all sorts of subjects. I go over the the County Sheriff's office and put in some face time about illegal dumping and missing hi-way signs. I engage in debate and conversation openly. And, I remind people about that, "Pursuit of happiness" thing and, in funding "liberal" causes put my money where my mouth already is... They can like it or lump it because I'd rather know - now - who my enemies ARE than find out - later - who my friends will turn out NOT to be.

So, I read these posts about hiding things from wives and fearing for job losses and things like that I thank my lucky stars that I usually go with my gut when making decesions - and then I vote with my feet.

My SO, for example, was saying something one day about her family finding out and I offered, "Well, this is the life we're living and I don't mind telling them if you want to. It is what WE are doing. But, why, I wonder, would they care, really? But, if it's going to be a problem and a worry for YOU, I'll move out... Should I go look for a new place to live? We can still see each other on weekends if you want to, and, I'll miss you during the week. But, I'm not up for living a life of worry and suspense. Especially when, if they cared to, they'd be paying enough attention to have already figured this out. Trust me, if they wanted to know what we were doing, they'd ask. That they don't probably means they'd just as soon we all got along happily."

Now, I didn't mean to offend or upset her, but they don't pay my mortgage, write my paycheck, or, hold any car notes I'm paying. More than that, this is MY life. So, what do I care what they think about my past times? I "let" them hunt. I "let" them snowmobile. Actually, I don't... I just leave them alone to do what they want to on their time. Ski sports in my yard, or, hunting from my second floor balcony... That's my yard. That's my house. Not here, OK?

And, along with that, do I say anything about the cammo gear they wear all the time? The Harley t-shirts? Do I point out one is practically blind without his thick glasses or make fun of the other having someone else dress (No, not that way!) the deer he shoots? No, I just make kind noises and tell them what anyone would want to hear. Hey, if it makes 'em happy and doesn't hurt anyone... But, I do insist, along with that, "Well, to each their own. Good luck to you!" Why give them a hard time? They're good people.

So, in posting all this, I hope you see that my point is that if your life has some kinks (No puns untended) or bottlenecks in it (Don't go there either!) then you need to pay attention to what's bothering you and do something constructive about it until you get YOUR life where you want it to be.

This is not news... To change the world you live in, start with yourself. If you're not happy, if you're worried, if you feel like you need to be doing something else, then get on with doing it.

If you want a better life, you can have it. But, it's all (no pun intended) pretty much hand made.

(I said, "made," not "maid"!)

Focus people, focus...

TGMarla
03-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Well, I don't see any puns in there. What's your point? That we can make our live what we wish them to be? Okay. That's probably true. I'm glad things have worked out well for you. Many of the topics that keep getting repeated on this forum are brought up constantly because the many thousands of us who come here to talk have similar issues with how the deal with the fact that they crossdress. They look for answers, and often they are not revealed in one thread or conversation. People come and go, and not everyone sees every thread when bouncing around here. So they tend to repeat themselves a bit.

Panty thread, anyone?

Dannie Lefae
03-07-2009, 11:20 AM
I am not going to do the "quote and response" thing. I will just agree with Marla, and add that, everyone interprets things differently. I personally need the repition so that I can better understand certain issue's/topics that I could not understand when written differently.

Em

Sophia de la luz
03-07-2009, 12:03 PM
I enjoyed the story about your journey, and respect and admire your commitment to openess and honesty with those around you. It sounds like your conflicts of choice are mainly social and you feel comfortable there. Other people like their arenas of conflict in their personal sphere. Other people might want it battling the elements or fighting the social orders (i.e. as criminals).
I pretty much agree with you that lots of people make the dressing up thing bigger then it needs to be. But then for me, it's primarily a clothing issue. I think for a lot of people here it seems to be related to core beliefs about their identity and who they are. And along those lines, it brings up all kinds of issues of safety being who they are and having love. Maybe, not an experience they grew up with.
And, as your extensive dating pointed out, there are many women who really wouldn't have anything to do with crossdressers, for various reasons. So, when a crossdresser is in love with one of these women (and vice versa), you have a situation that you yourself have never encountered. Same goes for me.
I appreciated your post.

Tamara Croft
03-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Marla, I don't think she's trying to make a point, I think she's just telling us how she lives and how she's out there, not caring what other people think of her and living her life, not worrying what other people think. It's a good post and refreshing to read imho :) Thank you Mary for sharing your story with us, I enjoyed reading it. :)

kay2
03-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Thank you for the post. I thought it was excellent. I found your perspective to be mature and healthy. As for those who grapple with these issues, it is often the case that they live/work with people whose attitudes cause serious problems.

Lainie
03-07-2009, 05:41 PM
Thanks so much for sharing your story!

Certainly your attitude and probably your conduct really have contributed to your easy path. A lot of us--myself included--have a burden of guilt we need to lay down before we can get to self-acceptance.

Spousal acceptance involves a fair bit of luck for a lot of us. I love my wife and respect her immensely. When we got married I didn't identify as a cross-dresser, having done it rarely as a pre-teen and again as a twenty-something. It didn't emerge until long after we were married, and it took me a long time to feel strongly enough about continuing that I was willing to risk everything by telling her. So now she knows, doesn't think I can change, and insists on staying in denial. Everything is out of sight, out of mind. If the subject comes up, she shuts the conversation down.

I wonder when I will take too big a risk, accidentally out myself to a mutual friend, and make her face the humiliation she imagines will ensue. I intend not to do that--but I haven't given up sneaking out en femme when the opportunity arises. That makes me a hypocrite, which is surely a whole lot worse than a cross-dresser.

Sarah...
03-07-2009, 06:17 PM
To change the world you live in, start with yourself. If you're not happy, if you're worried, if you feel like you need to be doing something else, then get on with doing it.

If you want a better life, you can have it. But, it's all pretty much hand made.

I agree. Excellent post - this wee bit at the end is pretty much how my wife and I are moving forward with life now. And what a renaissance that has turned out to be :) Talk about being happy, fulfilled people :)

Sarah...

Angie G
03-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Some need to worry about what others think ans some don't. What works for you may not work for me or some others. That's what makes this life so interesting.:hugs:
Angie

Oddlee
03-08-2009, 02:32 AM
We're all just doing the best we can, toward the goal we set ourselves...

Lee