PDA

View Full Version : Figuring out sizes in women's

dreamy1986
06-22-2005, 09:25 AM
Hey everyone! Since im finally beginning to purchase my own items, I need some help figuring out my size in womens' without looking like a fool. I'm kind of clueless what it comes to this so any help would be appreciated. Here are my stats:

5'11, 175 lbs, Athletic Build, Wide Shoulder/Chest Area
32 waist
Size 10 mens shoe
I think my chest is a 38-40 but I'm not too sure about that ( I was recommended a 38 bra by one girl, but I'd like a second opinion )

If I'm missing anything please tell me; I'd like to make this as accurate as possible.

Sharon
06-22-2005, 09:31 AM
The best thing to do is to go to the web site of the retailer or clothing manufacturer and check out their sizing charts. Sizes vary, so you should do this where ever you go.

AnnaMaria
06-22-2005, 10:20 AM
The first thing you need to do is get a tape measure and find your exact measurements. And no I don't mean the kind you use to measure wood with. You can find them in almost any decent sewing kit. And most web sites that sell clothing have a chart that will tell you exactly where and how to measure yourself to find your exact size.

From what you said you sound as if you are about my size which would be a 14 bottom or large and a 16-18 top which would be xl. But as Sharon said you should really check the size chart of each site that you buy from to make sure what their sizes are for you measurements. As far as shoes are concerned. That is a hit or miss depending on the shoe. I wear a mens 12 and I have found womens shoes that are 11 that fit perfect and 13 that fit just as well. It really depends on the style of shoe and who made it. The other thing to keep in mind is that womens pants don't come in as many lengths as mens do, and every pants manufacturer has a different idea of what lengths should be produced so pay attention to that when looking for pants.

But no matter what you do make sure that you know your exact measurements so that you can compare that with what you are buying and that will tell you exactly size you need.

huggs
anna

Tristen Cox
06-22-2005, 10:49 AM
Check my links under page 7.0 ;)

dreamy1986
06-22-2005, 03:20 PM
Thanks very much.

windycissy
06-22-2005, 03:49 PM
Dreamy,

Your dress is an 18. Your skirt is a 14. Your tops are XL. Your shoes are 11 wide. Your slip size is 38. Your bra size is 38, I suggest a B cup. Your pantyhose are size B. Got it?

Ask Windy Cissy (http://snurl.com/askwindy)

Tristen Cox
06-22-2005, 04:27 PM
Uhm so what size is her hat?:D

windycissy
06-23-2005, 03:51 PM
Uhm so what size is her hat?:D

Tristen,

Now that she knows how to get dressed, she can go to the mall in her new finery and try on hats to her heart's content!

Windy

paulaN
06-23-2005, 04:19 PM
and now that you've got all that.( Windycissy's advice) you can go and get some clothes. Only to find thay don't fit because there is no standerd for womens clothes. not even bras and underwear. I can't count the times I have bought something in my size and it did not fit not even close. best of luck to ya hun.

Drucilla
06-23-2005, 04:33 PM
Paula's right ! Depending on the brand, I can wear a 12,14 or 16 jean.
The ones that tend to be lower riding tend to fit in the smaller sizes. I think that's because women's waist /hip ratio is very different from a man --so a size 12 low cut jean that would not close on my true waist, fits perfect below my waist. I ordered a pair of jeans form LLBean in size 14 that are too small. It's because the style is a more classic fit and sits high near my tummy button so it would take a 16 to be comfortable. Sent them back!! Like all girls ---I want to be to fit into the smallest size possible !! All a long way of saying --- you really have to try on things to get a good fit !! Style and brand really make a difference.

Jesse69
06-23-2005, 06:01 PM
5'11, 175 lbs, Athletic Build, Wide Shoulder/Chest Area
32 waist
Size 10 mens shoe
I think my chest is a 38-40 but I'm not too sure about that ( I was recommended a 38 bra by one girl, but I'd like a second opinion )

I think you're size 12 to 14 American Dresses and suits. Find out the easy way by buying some nice cheap outfits from thrift stores like Goodwill or Salvation Army. Some of these places even have fitting rooms.

My chest is 34" but I wear 36 to 38 bras for comfort.

tammie
06-23-2005, 06:19 PM
HI All: Here is some wisdom for U. Everything U get is dependant on the differance between your weight as a man and wour weight as a woman. What I mean is your biggest diminsion for a dress is your shoudlers and chest. Whereas a womans biggest diminsion is her hips, U R probably about a 16 or 18. If U R buying a slip it goes by bust size. And it needs to be 2" bigger than your bra size. Pantygirdles R easy go by waist size, but men can wear a pantygirdle that is 2 or 3 inches smaller than your waist because we don't have the hips so it can stretch over more waist. For instance I have a 36" waist and I wear an XXL that most manufacters say will fit a 33" or 34" waist on a woman and it fits me perfectly. Bra sizes R more subjective, U do need to know your band size, if your chest measures 40 (right under your nipples)then get a 40. If your bust measurement is 2 or 3 inches differance try a B cup for starters. I measure 2" differant but I get a C cup in a minimizer and fill it without forms. Minimizers have "less full" cups for the size of the underwire so I can get more of my breasts into it also.

U might want to buy a few things at Lane Bryant first as they will allow U to exchange.
Just go in early right after they open and it won't be busy. Then tell them its for U, its no big deal really they sell lingerie to men all the time, and they will respect U more if U just tell them the truth. Have fun and enjoy yourself.