PDA

View Full Version : Out and About in the Middle of the Day

Julie
06-22-2005, 02:36 PM
Monday Laura asks if I want to go out to lunch. I'm dressed. There's this girl bar that she has been telling me about and they serve food so she figure's it's a good time to take me there. I've been out in the daylight several times but usually it's at a time or to a place that has few people. This time would be different.

One thing I have a tendency of doing is not being able to back down from a challenge. No, Laura wasn't challenging me, I was challenging me. This was an opportunity to do something I wanted to but I was still apprehensive. So I went.

I drove and we pulled into the parking lot in back. The place is on a very busy main street in Chicago and it's lunch time and everybody is out. I see a door to the place in the back so I ask Laura if we can use that. "No it's usually locked." So we have to walk to the front which faces the street. The sun is directly overhead and there's not a cloud in the sky and there's yours truly, dressed, walking along a street that is at one of it's peak traffic times. Oh well, just do it!

Now I'm expecting most of the people there to be female. I mean, the place is owned by a lesbian couple, they make no attempt to hide it, they advertise to attact other lesbians so it makes sense I'd expect to see few men. Wrongo, dogbreath! Besides the owner tending bar, there was only one other girl there and the rest were all guys. And from the expression on their face they had never seen 'one of these' before, at least not in person. Yeah, the place turned suddenly quiet when I walked in. (I later found out the place is considered a country/western sort of redneck bar.) I thought about the 'you make me sick" comment I got last week and wondered what I could expect here.

Laura picked a table where I had my back to the crowd. Anywhere I go I have always picked a seat at a table or booth where I can see most of the crowd. For one, I like to people watch but there's something deeper too. So I'm feeling none too comfortable sitting there with my back to the crowd, especially thinking of the facial expressions I saw when I entered.

We ordered our food and talked to the owner a bit. Then I try to rearrange my seat so I can at least see some of the place. After I do, I see one of the guys who had that 'look' on his face when I walked in. Laura starts talking to him and he comes over and introduces himself. Then he talks about a wet t-shirt contest they are having that evening and asks if we'll be there. Laura says she has to work so he turns to me. I'm non-commital. He presses me to come and tells me how much fun it will be (no I don't think he was hitting on me, just being friendly). I loosened up after that but there were still a few characters who I caught giving me that sidelong glance with that 'what the hell is this" look.

We left after a couple of hours without incident. I did however get to see a cat at the bar. :eek: After we were done with our lunch we sat at the bar for a bit. I look across at the other side and see a cat's head peeking above the bar. It looks so funny sitting there as if waiting to be served. Oh, if I had my camera! So the bartender takes out a shot glass and fills it with milk. The cat jumps up and starts downing it's shot. I wonder if I'll ever see anything like that again? :rolleyes:

JoAnnDallas
06-22-2005, 02:45 PM
Beautiful post.. Great Adventure... I wish I had a SO that I could go out with like that. Looks like the bar is no longer a lesbain bar. I know you must have been a little scaried or you would not have want to use the back door. I would have reacted the same way. LOL Was that your first time to be close up to other people. I have had other people see me dressed, but only from a distance, except when I am out driving. It's posts like this that gave me the Courage to make my first SOLO outing yesterday. Hope you had fun anyway.

Natalie x
06-22-2005, 03:17 PM
Could we have done it before, without the inspiration and support of all our girlfriends here?

Julie
06-22-2005, 04:04 PM
Was that your first time to be close up to other people.

No, I go out at least once a week but it's to TG friendly bars where I know a lot of people so I'm comfortable there. It's also after the sun goes down, you know, when vampires go out too. :rolleyes: But this was a new place and at lunch time. And when the conversation stopped as I walked in..... :eek:

Kimberly
06-22-2005, 04:09 PM
But you did it, honey!!! Even if they did stop talking.

You probably won't see them again, I shouldn't worry! :)

xx

Natalie x
06-22-2005, 04:12 PM
I can't believe a beautiful girl like you ever gets made, honestly. I reckon the silence is because they are all so stunned at your beauty.

Wendy me
06-22-2005, 04:47 PM
way cool julie you should think abought wrighting a book wow you don't exaly have a boreing life greate story....

ChristineRenee
06-22-2005, 05:28 PM
Way to go Julie. Another first for you...seems like you are always breaking new ground. Congrats girl...and thanks for sharing another great adventure with us!:cool:

Love,
Chrissie:)

ronna
06-22-2005, 07:45 PM
Julie, you're hot stuff, I'm sure you know that.
That's why you can go out proudly and everybody else enjoys it as much as you do!

Deidra Cowen
06-22-2005, 07:54 PM
Very cool story and well wrote. I gotta say I've been doing some adventures...but going in what turned out to be a macho guy type bar is beyond anything I've done, or plan on! :D

Congratulations, keep it up girl!