PDA

View Full Version : Crossdresser or not?

walrusboy
07-18-2004, 04:32 PM
Hi - I'm a 20yr old male from the UK, and I guess I'm a little confused.
I mean - I don't associated myself as a crossdress or transvestite - I wouldn't apply those labels, because I don't think that what I'm doing is trying to dress like a woman. I want to be able to wear skirts and high heels (nothing too flashy - lol) wherever the hell I want, but still be perceived as male. I know there's nothing wrong with that - but I always have that fear of being "found out" or "singled out" as some kind of freak.
sigh.
I don't go out as much as I used to in them, just because I'm so busy with university and stuff, but it'd be cool to again - I've received nothing but favourable comments from people, though a few odd looks - I was surprised that a drunk male commented on how my knee-high PVC boots were a good look for me!

anyway, like I said - I wouldn't consider myself a crossdresser or transvestite - I don't think labels belong in a world where we all portray different shades of individuality and can't be easily boxed or categorised, but...yeah - I'm going to sleep now. Sorry for the rant :)

there's a pic there - tell me what you think :) I blanked out as much as was appropriate to conceal identity - I'm a little paranoid

Alex
07-18-2004, 09:15 PM
I am much like you as I just like the clothes, I don't try to act like a girl or wear makeup/breasts.

I think that by definitions we are still crossdressers. I don't know if a better title exists?

Any suggestions for a new one?

Jill
07-18-2004, 10:27 PM
Not wanting to be labeled is fine, but in the categorical sense, I would definitely say you are a crossdresser. The fact that you don't want to pass as a woman is irrelevant. You're a crossdresser for sure, but we won't call you one if you don't want to. :)

Alex
07-18-2004, 11:05 PM
Not wanting to be labeled is fine, but in the categorical sense, I would definitely say you are a crossdresser. The fact that you don't want to pass as a woman is irrelevant. You're a crossdresser for sure, but we won't call you one if you don't want to. :)

Agreed...as far as I know, by definition: Crossdresser = wearing clothes commonly associated with the opposite gender.

For lack of a better term, I consider myself an occaisional crossdresser. Even though, I don't try to pass as a woman. I just dig the clothes. They are fun.

Wen4cd
07-19-2004, 12:39 AM
there's a pic there - tell me what you think :) I blanked out as much as was appropriate to conceal identity - I'm a little paranoid

You didn't blank out enough. I know who you are and what you did last summer.... :eek:

No, really though, the boots and stripes look great! Stripes rule!

Wen

walrusboy
07-19-2004, 12:49 AM
You didn't blank out enough. I know who you are and what you did last summer.... :eek:

No, really though, the boots and stripes look great! Stripes rule!

Wen

I deny everything!!! :eek:

I need more boots - lol - and better skirts, I think :cool:
I suppose *technically* I am crossdressing, but I guess I'd be happier if I could wear what I wanted without having labels stuck on me - I mean, why whould girls get all the fun, right?

right now, I'm craving some knee-high black suede boots, but I'm broke and running out of hiding places. curse you, parents!

Dallas
07-19-2004, 07:39 AM
If you go out to pubs dressed why are you trying to hide who you are here? Doesn't make any sense to me.

walrusboy
07-19-2004, 09:13 AM
I haven't been out for a long time, and things have changed insomuch as there's a lot of people now that I know that don't know. if that makes sense.

trust me, it does. *nod*

Jennifer_Ph
07-19-2004, 10:37 AM
As far as I am concerned, the only way to actually crossdress is for a man to wear a bra or a woman to wear a jock strap. Clothing is genderless. It is cloth that is used to cover our body.

That being said, I wear bra's. Makeup, wigs, breastforms to look like a woman. At work today I am wearing a golf shirt, kahki (womens) shorts, and suntan pantyhose. I wear pantyhose in drab mode all the time. But I am not at work trying to look like a woman - I am a guy that likes to wear pantyhose. Mostly I get comments like, man you have nice legs. Well heck yeah, they are shaved and I have hose on! :D

Don't label yourself. Dont' worry if society labels you. Just be you. Wear what makes you comfortable. Most importantly, be confident. If you're confident it shows - and people are less likely to care what you are wearing. People feed on weakness, so if you appear weak, be prepared to be called on it. Just be you. And be honest with anyone that asks you why you are wearing what you are wearing - be confident while you're being honest. You can do it, just don't let all this get you down.

walrusboy
07-19-2004, 01:54 PM
As far as I am concerned, the only way to actually crossdress is for a man to wear a bra or a woman to wear a jock strap. Clothing is genderless. It is cloth that is used to cover our body.

That being said, I wear bra's. Makeup, wigs, breastforms to look like a woman. At work today I am wearing a golf shirt, kahki (womens) shorts, and suntan pantyhose. I wear pantyhose in drab mode all the time. But I am not at work trying to look like a woman - I am a guy that likes to wear pantyhose. Mostly I get comments like, man you have nice legs. Well heck yeah, they are shaved and I have hose on! :D

Don't label yourself. Dont' worry if society labels you. Just be you. Wear what makes you comfortable. Most importantly, be confident. If you're confident it shows - and people are less likely to care what you are wearing. People feed on weakness, so if you appear weak, be prepared to be called on it. Just be you. And be honest with anyone that asks you why you are wearing what you are wearing - be confident while you're being honest. You can do it, just don't let all this get you down.

thanks! That's the best advice yet :)
*hug*

Jennifer_Ph
07-20-2004, 05:17 AM
You are most welcome. Now go out there and be YOU! :)

Gerbil
07-20-2004, 07:54 PM
Been in the same boat, even when I put on makeup and more fem stuff I never try to hide I am a guy. But crossdresser seems to be a little more apt a title for folks like us than transvestite, which seems to me to be more associated with those who are trying to pass as female. But we are all in the same game! Like it or not until someone comes up with a new term that sticks we are going to be crossdressers.

Abraxas
07-20-2004, 11:01 PM
Well, I tell all guys to check out Eddie Izzard. He's a British actor and Comedian. If you watch his DVD "Dress to Kill" he explains all about "male lesbianism" and transvestism, squirrels in makeup, crazy dogs, puberty, God sounding like James Mason, British Empires, Steve McQueen, etc.
He considers himself to be a transvestite, but hasn't tried to "Pass" as a woman since he came out when he was 23. He just wears whatever clothes he wants, whenever he wants.
He boasts of "total clothing rights for both sexes". If he feels blokey one day, he'll dress blokey. If he feels femme he'll dress in a skirt or womens' trousers, sometimes breasts (which are ims, but not planted ;) ).
He talks about how women put on trousers back in the 20s and everyone freaked out, but now it's fine. Why not the same for men now?

walrusboy
07-21-2004, 12:00 AM
Well, I tell all guys to check out Eddie Izzard. He's a British actor and Comedian. If you watch his DVD "Dress to Kill" he explains all about "male lesbianism" and transvestism, squirrels in makeup, crazy dogs, puberty, God sounding like James Mason, British Empires, Steve McQueen, etc.
He considers himself to be a transvestite, but hasn't tried to "Pass" as a woman since he came out when he was 23. He just wears whatever clothes he wants, whenever he wants.
He boasts of "total clothing rights for both sexes". If he feels blokey one day, he'll dress blokey. If he feels femme he'll dress in a skirt or womens' trousers, sometimes breasts (which are ims, but not planted ;) ).
He talks about how women put on trousers back in the 20s and everyone freaked out, but now it's fine. Why not the same for men now?

lol, yeah - I love Eddie Izzard :)
it's true, and I think maybe if we, as a whole, were more active in being out, then it'd probably be fine.
*will work on that*

Amelie
07-28-2004, 05:54 PM
Hi, I'm new to this site and you like to say hello to all. I agree with Walrusboy ther's too much labeling of people. But there has to be something to identify what you do or who you are. That's why we come to this site, we all have something in common so we label the site CD, TV, TS, TG so people of like mind can come together. A little about myself, I am a Goth Girl have been for some time. I really like the style of clothes dark, corsets, lace and sheer fabrics. I am a completly different person when dressed, sort of like Dr. Jeckyl and sister Hyde. I used to go clubbing at least two times a week in goth drag. But for personal reasons I haven't been out much lately. I really like your site all people with different tales about cding. I will enjoy writing more in the fewture.

HillaryArtemis
07-28-2004, 06:04 PM
I don't know, but once I put on make up then I couldn't get enough of it. Call me a girl for sure. I am one for I am Jodi.

JodiArtemis