PDA

View Full Version : Texas Driver License and ID

TxKimberly
03-12-2009, 11:47 AM
I've been doing a lot of flying femme these days, and I had begun to wonder of it would be possible to have both, A Texas Drivers License AND a Texas State ID. I'd keep my DL with my male pic, and get the ID as Kim, giving all the accurate and legal info, just having different pics. This way I'd have a legal state ID with my Kim pic on it to make it easier for anyone seeing my ID to accept that it was in fact me. Y'all know how the internet is, I've seen conflicting information - some saying it was legal and some saying it wasn't, so I went to the source. From their web page I sent the following email to the Texas Department of Public Safety (More or less the Texas DMV) and received the response making it clear that it IS legal:

Questions/Comments: For reasons I'd rather not go in to unless I have
to, I'd like to know if it is legal to have both, a Texas DL AND a Texas
ID at the same time as long as they both are accurate and there is no
intent to defraud or give false information? Many thanks

And their response below:

Dear Mr. XXX,

Thank you for giving the Department the opportunity to respond to your
email request regarding your Texas driver license.

Per your request, it is legal to carry an id card and a drivers license.
Be sure that the address remains the same on both as well as keeping the
id card in a safe place incase you ever loose your drivers license you
will have proof of identity.

I hope this information is helpful. Please do not hesitate to contact
Customer Service at customerservicedl@txdps.state.tx.us or 512-424-2600
should you have additional questions or need further assistance.

Sincerely,

Angela Ibarra
Administrative Tech III
Driver License Division
Texas Department of Public Safety

So now it's time for another Kimberly gut/courage check! Gotta go to the DPS office dressed, fill out the paper work, and "Git er done!" I don't want to do it in my small town 'cause I figure half the population will know about it before my pic is even taken. LOL

Kimberly Huddle

Niya W
03-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Wait I've thought you flown as Kim before ?? Getting a state ID should be easy :)

Now this May I'm actually going to use my state ID when I fly as Niya :)

cindym5_04
03-12-2009, 11:56 AM
What name are you going to go about putting on there? Are you going to use your real name with your femme pic?

Please keep us posted!

Niya W
03-12-2009, 12:11 PM
She has to use her real name. If she use a different name that's a big no no.

TxKimberly
03-12-2009, 12:23 PM
She has to use her real name. If she use a different name that's a big no no.

Roger that - all of the information on it must be correct and accurate. The name MUST be my legal name, as well as the gender, address, age, etc. As far as I know, the only thing that is under my control and optional, is my appearance when the picture is taken! :-)

Oh, and YES I have flown many times from several airports and I've never had a problem yet. i would just feel more confident and secure if I had a legal ID with my Femme pic on it.

Kelli Michelle
03-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Just the thought of standing in a DMV station with a bunch of other people (while dressed) scares the bejeesus outa me:strugglin. Please let us know how it goes. I can be brave on occasion. If it goes well with you ( I know, no guarantees), then maybe I could urge myself to do the same. The ID would make me feel more comfortable in many situations. Good luck!

Christie ann
03-12-2009, 12:42 PM
Make sure you let us see the picture...we all look so good with official gov't pictures!

Sally2005
03-12-2009, 01:01 PM
I'm curious...Do they actually keep both photos on file or only the latest one?

For instance, if you get pulled over by the police, would their computer show your female photo, both or your male one?

It is a cool idea. I wish it could be done in my province.

TxKimberly
03-12-2009, 01:04 PM

For instance, if you get pulled over by the police, would their computer show your female photo, both or your male one?

I have been thinking about that my darn self! Especially as my DL expires in Sept. I might wait until after I renew the DL to do this just so I don't end up with a drivers license with my femme pic on it. LOL

JoAnne Wheeler
03-12-2009, 01:07 PM
NOW THIS is a great post - I have to check out Kentucky

JoAnne Wheeler

Niya W
03-12-2009, 01:32 PM

Well I found out in California they used they latest pic. I lost both my state ID and DL. Since my DL was the most important I applied for that first. I went for my state ID a week later To my surprise it was the pic I took for my old state ID .( I didnt take a new pic ). At first I was wondering how did my state ID get her first .

SherriePall
03-12-2009, 03:14 PM
In Pennsylvania every time we renew our driver's license, we have to take a new photo at the center. However, I don't believe we have an official ID card separate from the driver's license.
And, yes, Kim, we must see your ID photo!

Erica A.
03-12-2009, 03:45 PM
What if you renew your liscense as Kim (him). Then a week later, "Oops! I seem to have lost my new liscense." as Kim (her). Would they take a new photo, and you tell them all the information is the same. Done and done! Hmmm?

Jonianne
03-12-2009, 03:56 PM
In Virginia, the last I heard, since 911 you are not allowed to have both a drivers licence and a non-drivers ID card. You could before.

DonnaT
03-12-2009, 03:59 PM
A google search of
texas code title 37 part 1 chapter 15
will get you to the Texas Administrative Code

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/driver_licensing_control/identificationrequirements.htm

Eileen
03-12-2009, 04:02 PM
Kimberly you will do fine at DMV. I got my non drivers license picture ID three years ago with no problem. It is so much easier to have your ID reflect the person you are.

Eileen

Sandra Dunn
03-12-2009, 04:32 PM
I've had my Texas ID for two years and it does come in handy for when I'm in me mode. I was alittle concerned about going down and getting it made. NO problems, everyone there was very polite even the trooper that was helping everyone was very professional. Yes it does have to have the "Legal" name and all on it. This comes in handy for when you write a check or use your credit card. When you fly it serves us well when we go through the security checks. Many of us do look different then our butch self. If the pic does show up on the DL, oh well.

HUGS Sandra

Phoebe Reece
03-12-2009, 05:28 PM
In Georgia it is also legal to have both an ID and a separate drivers license. The main thing the drivers license dept. cares about is collecting money. They don't care how you dress, but all info on the ID must be accurate and legal. I have had one for over three years. It must be a fairly common thing in the Atlanta area as the staff at the office I got mine at didn't act like it was at all out of the ordinary. The whole process (including waiting for the ID to come out of the machine) took less than 20 minutes. It was a very painless procedure. Many of my friends in the Atlanta area have done the same thing.

The one thing you have to be careful about is renewing your drivers license. I once took a friend to get an ID card with her femme photo on it and, in spite of my warnings not to, she got talked into renewing her drivers license at the same time. She ended up with a Drivers License and ID with the same femme picture on it. She solved the problem a week later by going to a different office dressed drab and saying he lost his newly renewed license. They took a new photo (at his request) and issued another license. He did have to pay the lost license fee to get that done.

After getting a photo taken in Georgia for either the ID or driving license, the latest one stays on file in their computer. Effectively that means if renew your license by mail and your last photo was femme, that's what will be on the license. Therefore the last time I renewed my license (about a year ago) I went in person (dressed drab) and got a new picture taken. Everything is as it should be on my license and ID.

joann07
03-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Good for you!
Last year I got a Fla ID with my femme picture (male info the same) and it was a piece of cake.
It works great at any place I use it (i.e. airports, shopping, clubs, etc.).
You go girl!

Hugs!

Rachel B
03-12-2009, 05:41 PM
Cant believe I'm actually saying this, but isnt this a prime example of where fingerprint or retina scan outweighs the old photo thing.......

Wouldnt need to worry about pics matching then would we.......

To Kimberly, or anyone else really, have you considered changing your name to your girl name? Or is it a non-starter for most.......

I've often wondered how it would go down if I was stopped when dressed and asked to provide ID? But then I think of how it goes with GG's who are heavily made up, different hairstyles etc.....I mean my GF looks nothing like her driving licence photo, or her passport one for that matter. In fact I look nothing like my passport photo.

Rach

TxKimberly
03-12-2009, 07:14 PM
What if you renew your liscense as Kim (him). Then a week later, "Oops! I seem to have lost my new liscense." as Kim (her). Would they take a new photo, and you tell them all the information is the same. Done and done! Hmmm?

Well my first thought would be that what you suggest would have me breaking the law and risking the reprecusiions when there is no need. Ican get the ID nice and legal and with no risk.

Niya W
03-12-2009, 07:28 PM
Cant believe I'm actually saying this, but isnt this a prime example of where fingerprint or retina scan outweighs the old photo thing.......

Wouldnt need to worry about pics matching then would we.......

To Kimberly, or anyone else really, have you considered changing your name to your girl name? Or is it a non-starter for most.......

I've often wondered how it would go down if I was stopped when dressed and asked to provide ID? But then I think of how it goes with GG's who are heavily made up, different hairstyles etc.....I mean my GF looks nothing like her driving licence photo, or her passport one for that matter. In fact I look nothing like my passport photo.

Rach

Cops out here could careless for the most part. Had few that just did not know to deal with a CD . I use to drive a bit fast :)

Funny thing is I have the exact same number on my state ID as I do on my DL.

jordyn.wayne
03-12-2009, 08:30 PM
you go girl, every step is another step towards complete success. i can't wait to see your new id pic.

Dawn Marie
03-12-2009, 08:50 PM
Kim, a couple of years back I had to renew my Dl and decided that I wanted my emfemme picture on it, since back then I was almost 24/7. So I got all prettied up, went down to the DMV, filled out all the information correctly and had my picture taken with no problems, Then didn't even bat an eye and all were very professional . And the picture was actually very good.

wendiwoman
03-12-2009, 09:16 PM
I have shoulder length hair. As a boy, I wear it in a pony tail. As a girl, I wear it down and on my shoulders. I made an appointment with the dmv to replace my lost license. Since the photo is a headshot, I avoided all of the issues of going en femme by going dressed as a boy, but with a few tiny differences. I kept my hair down, and applied just a bit of foundation to soften my skin. No lipstick, no blush, no eye makeup.

The person who helped me pulled up my records, looked at the photo, looked at me, and said "You want a new picture, right?" Twenty minutes later, and $28 poorer, I headed home to wait for the mailman to bring my new license. Now I have a license with a photo that works perfectly well in drab or drag.

Wendi

Leanne2
03-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Last year I had to renew my drivers license. I'm lucky to have a unisex first name so I went dressed and made up as a woman. The lady behind the counter didn't bat an eye. Soon I walked out with one of those new digital IDs.

Years ago I had to renew my FOID card by mail. At that time they asked for a small picture. So I sent a small fem picture of me but with an M in the sex box. When my card came in the mail it had my fem picture with F in the sex box. This year I had to renew the FOID again. Again I sent a small fem picture but this time the card came back with my digital drivers license picture on it. The sex box is still marked F.

I get some funny comments when I'm in full drab and have to show my various IDs. One guy at the tool rental place said," Is this your wife's card?" I said," No, that was me when I had long hair." Now remember, in this picture I'm wearing full makeup. That day I had been digging up our sewer line so I was pretty dirty and didn't smell so good either. The guy looked at it for a while and said," I wish I could grow hair like that." Leanne

Niya W
03-12-2009, 09:28 PM
In Virginia, the last I heard, since 911 you are not allowed to have both a drivers licence and a non-drivers ID card. You could before.

Actually thats since 2005 and only if your state complies with the Real ID act. Mine does not :)

kymberlyjean
03-12-2009, 10:54 PM
I got my Texas ID made around the first of January. Lots of the girls around DFW have them. Everything has to be the same as on your DL: Name, address AND gender, just the pictures are different. I still have my boy DL and still have to carry it when I'm driving. The ID is just good for TSA checkpoints, using credit cards and getting in to clubs, but NOT driving.

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1307&pictureid=12456

LeslieSD
03-13-2009, 12:43 AM
A long while ago when I was in college, I had long hair. So I simply went to take the drivers license photo with hair down and a little bit of light make up (but still in drab). Nobody says anything or cares about it when I had the picture taken.

Now I have to make a living and keep my hair trimmed. Maybe a different state ID would be a good idea.

By the way, in California they keep the (digital) picture on file. I just renewed my drivers license. All I need to do is go to the webpage and pay with credit card. The new drivers license came in mail exactly the same as the old one (same picture, weight, height, etc) only with a new expiration date. I guess that the DMV does not care to see me in person to check I am really who I am as long as they see the money. Good for the ladies because they can look as young as 18 forever, at least on the drivers license.

Persephone
03-13-2009, 01:54 AM
I have been thinking about that my darn self! Especially as my DL expires in Sept. I might wait until after I renew the DL to do this just so I don't end up with a drivers license with my femme pic on it. LOL

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/sandylewiscares/CDLPicture-2.jpgThis is my DL picture. I guess I don't completely understand the difficulty of having a more femme picture on your DL. Who is going to see it and cause a problem?

My problem is the reverse. My DL picture is as O.K. as any such pictures ever are, it's the name and gender that bug me. And, without verification of a sex change -- something I'm not about to do -- I can't get a DL or a state ID that have my femme name and gender.

That seems to mean that I can't get a checking account in my femme name and that I have no state issued ID to show when using my femme credit cards.

The only way around it that might work in my state would be to obtain a DBA (doing business as) filing, in which case my checking account would have to be a business account and I'd get charged a lot more. And I still wouldn't have any ID to go with my checks.

I've been thinking about bringing the whole thing up with my state legislator to see if crossdressers could get some kind of status under the law.

What do y'all think?

Niya W
03-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Here is mine

Rogina B
03-20-2009, 10:05 AM
The other day in orlando,i went to the tag office and rogina got her id card..but,the supervisor called the head office to get permission as they had not done one there. She gave me two new bits of info as well as my card. First is that after 2010,you aren't supposed to have both a dl and id card.second,is that the latest pic in the computer is what the cop will see when he checks you out after pulling you over. She said to tell the cop that he has to go back to a previous pic...and, they were extra careful to duplicate the head height of roger's pic for rogina in case the cop didn't want to go back a pic..anyway, people have beards and grow them or shave them,etc,soi am sure that often they search for a previous pic. Doesn't bother me a bit as i have been pulled over in fem a couple of times,not in florida though. I told them that the id will make things go easier with tsa at the airport and they agreed.

TxKimberly
03-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Look at that! Here I thought I was the trail blazer and it looks like a LOT of you have already been there and done that. LOL

Leslie Mary S
03-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Well us TN gals can't have it both ways. Male or female. and it's got to be what you are anotomically now.

Leslie
Sourthen Bell locked in a 'male by birth' body and can't affod the body change, not that I would want it. I want the best part of both worlds.
No Menapause, No monthly visits, Free to do hard labor or go swiming in public without a top on. You get the idea.

TGMarla
03-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Dang, Kimberly. I wish I had the time and the acceptance (and the guts!) to do all the things you manage to do. A state ID would be a very valuable item to have. I guess you'll have to go for it!

kristinacd55
03-20-2009, 08:31 PM
You go girl, just have a shot of whiskey b4 you head on down there

Kristen Marie
03-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Thar's great Wendi.

I was surprised that when I got my license to carry, they took a another picture and did not use my drivers license. Now I have three picture ID's in my wallet. I think it's time for Kristen to be on one of them...maybe my 4th.

Kim, you just keep breaking all them boundaries...you rascal.

IMJenn
03-20-2009, 09:11 PM
I wonder if I can get one in New Jersey?

kymberlyjean
03-20-2009, 09:20 PM
Well us TN gals can't have it both ways. Male or female. and it's got to be what you are anotomically now.

If you look at my ID above, it clearly has an "M" on it. I hear Texas is one of the more difficult states to change your gender marker on official documents. However, I have absolutely no desire to change my gender or gender marker, its just useful for me to have the femme picture ID because my transformation is so dramatic.

TxKimberly
03-20-2009, 09:26 PM
. . . I have absolutely no desire to change my gender or gender marker, its just useful for me to have the femme picture ID because my transformation is so dramatic. . .

Bingo - that is exactly my thinking as well.

Tootsye
03-20-2009, 09:34 PM
I have had a Texas DL and Texas ID for about five years now. I had no problems going to the DMV dressed and getting the ID. The picture on the ID is quite good, and all of the information is valid and accurate and is my male information. It only cost $5.00 the last time I took one of my sisters to get hers. I have flown using the Texas ID numerous times and TSA does look at them. I had one comment to me that I had recently had a birthday! Then she said "have a nice flight ma'am!
Kimberly, you might try Round Rock or Georgetown? I go to Arlington, and I don't live in that city either!
They don't seem to care!
Hugs,
Tootsye

Sara Jessica
03-20-2009, 09:39 PM
Hey Kim, do ya think you might go with the jeans for a DMV trip or is that totally defeating the purpose??? ;)

I'd look at it as blend at all cost, but that's just me!!!

TxKimberly
03-21-2009, 07:20 AM
Hey Kim, do ya think you might go with the jeans for a DMV trip or is that totally defeating the purpose??? ;)

I'd look at it as blend at all cost, but that's just me!!!

Nah - I'm with Karen Hutton on the jeans thing. Why waste a perfectly good chance to wear something cute?