PDA

View Full Version : Jackie Robinson and Me

KaraChristine
03-12-2009, 02:46 PM
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."
Jackie Robinson

I was at a transgender support group meeting recently discussing my excitement and fears about the return to work next week - I'll be the first transgender employee in the company's history. One of my friends at the meeting brought up a comparison that both honored and humbled me. She said "you're one of my 'Jackie Robinsons'" I asked her to explain and she said that she has a list of personal heroes who've braved some kind of difficulty or discrimination to live their lives fully and blaze a trail for others. She said that listening to my hopes, fears and determination to return to work as myself inspired her to face the world with a braver face.

Wow. I was blown away by the unintended effects of what I see as the somewhat selfish effort to be myself. I came home and refreshed what I knew about Jackie Robinson's life. He was one of the best baseball players of his generation. When he got out of the army in 1944 he had few choices as an African American other than the segregated "Negro Leagues." What he did have however was the courage and determination to live his life to the best of his ability and make the world a better place for other people who were denied their rights. He persisted and eventually became the first black player in major league baseball, signing with the Brooklyn Dodgers in 1946. Initially heckled and booed by fans and other players, Jackie was widely respected for the grace and dignity he displayed while enduring the discrimination. He became Rookie of the Year, National League MVP, and led the Dodgers to a World Series victory in 1955. He's universally recognized as an American hero!

After thinking about the comparison, I am still honored and awed to be considered even remotely an inspiration to help other people's lives. The truth is that everyone lives their life constrained in some way or another - we can all set an example and get on the "Jackie Robinson List" by somehow working up the courage to break out of our boxes and be ourselves.

I'll probably be thinking of Jackie a lot next week...

"This ain't fun. But you watch me, I'll get it done."
Jackie Robinson

JoAnne Wheeler
03-12-2009, 02:52 PM
My younger brother who had SRS is the first and only SRS Girl in a huge

business in Miami - he(SHE) tells me that SHE is treated fine by the owners

and supervisors - so maybe you are both "Jackie Robinsons" - I hope so

JoAnne Wheeler

susan2010
03-12-2009, 03:04 PM
Kara, I'm sure you will handle it all with grace and dignity.
Best to you.