PDA

View Full Version : First time out, finally....

Joanne Davis
03-12-2009, 09:33 PM
I have been reading the adventures of all here and slowly screwing up the courage to finally get out of my closet and let the world meet Jodilyn. So yesterday I made up my mind to do just that. With my wife was working until the early evening I decided to get dressed, although somewhat conservatively, and venture into the world. With all the support everyone here to those who have gone before me, I figured the worst that could happen was a bit of embarrassment.

I dressed in my favorite grey dress slacks, white cami, satin blouse and a cute bolero jacket. Stepped into my ankle boots, lightly applied a bit of makeup to hide the dreaded shadow , lipstick, blush, mascara a, added a bit of bling with some rings, necklace and bracelets and stuffing my purse with a good amount of fear and regret, drove into town.

Venturing out in the home town was a bit risky, so I drove 45 minutes north to a larger city hoping that more people and activity would add to the distraction I so hoped for. The drive was almost too long and several times almost turned around and returned home to sanity and safety. I finally arrived at a mall and after doing the “head-on-a-swivel” routine my hockey coach so insistently drilled into me, opened the car door, gave the last chance last glance inspection in the side window and headed for the door of one of the many women’s wear shops that lined the mall. I was constantly evaluating my walk, short steps, nice slow pace, swing the hips, bend the knees, back straight, it was a wonder I could think at all. When I reached the door I realized that I must have passed 4 or 5 people and not one of them gave me a second look. I almost walked through the glass doors. Was it true, for sure I thought that my almost absent confidence would give me away. Not so far.

Now with a terrific boost in confidence, I entered the store. It was almost empty. I took a few steps inside and thought I was now pushing my luck and was just turning to leave when two more ladies walked in behind me, so I kept on going. A great decision, although it didn’t seem that way at the time.

I casually weaved my way through the rack of clothes, dresses, jackets, tops. One of the SA approached me from behind and asked if there was something she could help me find.
In my best practiced voice, I replied I was looking for a pencil skirt, about knee length…..and I don’t think I stopped talking for 5 minutes. She led me through the store, showing me skirts, matching tops, some sexy camis, and oh gosh I can’t remember what else. She eventually talked me into trying on a cute grey pin-striped skirt, exactly what I was looking for, and if fit perfectly. She also brought me a few tops to try on as well. I was admiring myself in the mirror when another shopper passed by and mentioned that some short heeled pumps would probably be better than my shorty boots. We all had a giggle.

Well, I bought the skirt. As the SA handed me my purchase, she said, “ It was a pleasure helping you Ma’am, I hope you visit us again soon.” I said thanks and headed for my car……was that a smile and a wink she gave me?? I am not sure. The pink fog still hasn’t cleared. Thanks everyone for helping me in this important first. And you know, Roosevelt was right, there is nothing to fear except fear itself.

Diane Elizabeth
03-13-2009, 12:13 AM
thats a great story. I am so happy for you. I dream of when the day comes and I can do what you just described. I love you for it. Dylen

mannph
03-13-2009, 12:16 AM
Good for you!

"Mary"
03-13-2009, 12:40 AM
That's so great. I love going into stores, though I don't go very often. Sounds like you blended right in. Way to go. Thanks for sharing.

Angie G
03-13-2009, 12:42 AM
That's wondreful Jodylyn you most sitll be on cloud 9 hun.:hugs:
Angie

kellycan27
03-13-2009, 01:48 AM
[QUOTE=Jodilyn;1644535]I [SIZE="2"]have been reading the adventures of all here and slowly screwing up the courage to finally get out of my closet and let the world meet Jodilyn.

that's what I am talking about girl. Now hopefully someone will read about your adventure and say... Hey I can do that! That is exactly the kind of positive experience that we need in here. Awesome,tremendous,fantastic,stupendous....
Thank you for sharing that with us.
Kelly

Shelly67
03-13-2009, 01:58 AM
Well done girl , I,m so envious. Its the one thing that really sticks in me at present - never having ventured outside the home as Shelly . I applaud you .
:drink:

Persephone
03-13-2009, 01:59 AM
Yes! Yes! You go girl! Welcome to the larger world! And enjoy your new skirt!

Amy Rose
03-13-2009, 02:26 AM
congrats on that and its great you had the guts to do it!
So whats next? :P

crazybiker
03-13-2009, 03:59 AM
Aah! Whats the Pink fog??? I'm soo new and soo lost in alot of these shortend words, took me a while to figure out GG, but whats the pink fog????

tricia_uktv
03-13-2009, 05:53 AM
YAY, well done hon. Bet your planning your next trip? Its like a drug, I promise you

Chari
03-13-2009, 06:44 AM
Congrats on getting out & about! It only gets better with each adventure and builds your confidence as to who you are! Thanks for sharing.

Marie O
03-13-2009, 07:35 AM
Way to go! Hope I get enough courage one day, I have gotten so close only to turn around! I'm happy for you!

tamarav
03-13-2009, 07:42 AM
That's the way to do it! Just grab your purse, stroll right in and look at everything. I am so proud tht you didn't bolt for the door at the first sign of a SA, that can be a real heart stopper.

JoAnne Wheeler
03-13-2009, 08:46 AM
GREAT STORY - thanks for sharing - gives the rest of us confidence - did

your tell you not to go out dressed ? Does your spouse even know you

dress ? I was wondering because you said that you did this while your wife

would be working until early evening.

JoAnne Wheeler

Sharon B.
03-13-2009, 01:26 PM
It gives the rest of us hope to get out and do some shopping.

crazybiker
03-14-2009, 04:42 AM
lol... omg, whats pink fog???