PDA

View Full Version : Coming out?

Alexander_T
03-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Hey guys, this is my first proper post here, so I thought I'd use it to ask you all something that's been bothering me a bit of late.

I'm wondering whether or not I should come out to my friends, as I do dress kinda boyish (and have recently had my hair cut short), and I think they might be wondering why. I have told one or two very close friends and they were very accepting (even if one of them didn't really understand). I have no SO, though all my exes knew about it.

Thing is, I have no plans to transition, as I don't see myself as male all the time; it's more of an androgyny thing for me. My male side is always there, but I don't always feel the need to express it. There are days though, when I do need to express it, and thanks to sod's law these are usually the days when I have something social planned and can't just hide in my room all day! I think my friends may be wondering about my disappearing-reappearing breasts (amongst other things!), do you think I should sit them down and explain?

I guess this question is aimed primarily at other FTM CDs, but any and all help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

~Alex

ZenFrost
03-16-2009, 03:12 PM
Personally, I think being out is good so if I were in your position I'd breach the subject with my friends. My logic is that if they're really your friends, they will accept you--friendship is nurtured by honesty anyway. However, if there is something in your situation which makes it potentially dangerous for you to come out (if you live in a really unaccepting area, or if your friends come from extremely fundamentalist religious families and have very negative views of any LGBT folks) than I support staying in the closet.

By the way, welcome to the boards. :smilep:

Alexander_T
03-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Personally, I think being out is good so if I were in your position I'd breach the subject with my friends. My logic is that if they're really your friends, they will accept you--friendship is nurtured by honesty anyway. However, if there is something in your situation which makes it potentially dangerous for you to come out (if you live in a really unaccepting area, or if your friends come from extremely fundamentalist religious families and have very negative views of any LGBT folks) than I support staying in the closet.

By the way, welcome to the boards. :smilep:

Thanks Zen, much appreciated. :smilep: As I say, it's not as if I need to ask them to accept my transition from female to male, but then they are my friends and I guess a part of me does want them to know. I trust them enough that I don't think they'd reject me, but there are one or two that might say they're fine with it and then talk about it behind my back. :(

I dunno.

But it's good to be here, thanks for the welcome! You guys are all so friendly :smilep:

I like your icon by the way - I'm studying Japanese, and that was one of the first kanji I looked up ;)