PDA

View Full Version : Trans Introductions

Thornton
03-18-2009, 03:48 PM
In my experience, I have noticed that first impressions do in fact mean a great deal. I noticed this specifically during my transition.

When I alerted my friends and those around me, they would always have trouble remembering to switch pronouns, even though they meant well. I'd glare at them whenever they slipped up, and once they realized it, "Sorry! Sorry. I meant 'he'. It's only that I've known you for so long as...." and I'm sure you've all been through something like this many times before.

However, when I began to introduce myself to people using my male name, or if I was introduced with my male name, the new people would have no problem remembering my name, remembering the correct pronoun, even sometimes knowing I'm trans, even sometimes knowing I'm pre-op.

At times, I'll find myself explaining to people Gender Identity Disorder, what it is, what it means, etc. I'll use and explain terms like "MTF" or "FTM", and tell them whatever they want to know to the best of my ability. In practically every conversation, I'll find myself talking about a general transman, and the person will ask/say, "So, she's really a girl?" Many times, people have brought up a reality television show here in the states called The Real World, which I guess has an MTF on it (I've never watched it). While talking about her, they'll never stop referring to her as "him","That guy","he",etc., no matter how many times I'll correct them.

And this all leads up to my point of first impressions, introductions, and their effect in the terms FTM and MTF. When ever I spell out the words "Female-to-Male" and "Male-to-Female" to those who have never encountered it before, I feel the first word is getting stuck in their head. Never mind if you don't even look/sound/act/live typically like the gender you were assigned at birth, if you're an FTM, once a person hears "Female", you're stuck as such in their minds forever, same situation with the MTFs.

And so, my proposition is this: that FtM and MtF be changed to MfF and Ffm, “Male from Female” and “Female from Male”. I feel in this way, the core sex/gender is put out and exposed first, allowing what we really are to be impressed into people’s minds. I feel these terms express more clearly what we are, individuals born into the wrong bodies, as opposed to individuals who just decided to switch teams.

MtFs were personally never male, and FtMs were personally never female, so why introduce them with the error?

I just want to know what you all think about this.

Sharon
03-18-2009, 04:05 PM
Actually, I never tell people I am "male to female," but, when necessary, simply as transsexual or transgendered. -- I let them figure the MtF part out for themselves. :)

It's an interesting idea, however, though I would have to imagine that "FtM" and "MtF" are too well entrenched to be changed now.

Karen564
03-18-2009, 06:30 PM
I dont know if it's just me or not, but I'm fine with the way it is, MTF, FTM..

With the way your proposing, it just sounds like it would be more confusing..

Jenna1561
03-18-2009, 10:56 PM
I may be in the minority, but when I introduce myself to someone new (outside work) I simply say, "Hi, I'm Jenna," and let it be. I went to a good friend's son's 5th birthday party and her husband introduced me to other guests with "This is Jenna, she works with..."

I don't advertise my TS status.

Jen

Rachel_Moore
03-19-2009, 06:30 AM
Me neither Jen, I may be early into my transition but if stealth is an option I try to use it. I play pool, have done for many years in local leagues so as I guy was very well known. I recently played a match against a side who's captain, a good friend of mine, thought she would prewarn the whole of her team and tell them if they were gonna cause problems not to turn up. They all turned up and left her with a selection dilemma and were all very friendly, once they worked out that I was the trans girl in the side (we had 3 girls there lol including me). What's the point in passing, then advertising that you are any different from what you appear.

I always just introduce myself as Rachel, if someone asks I will tell them i'm TS but I dont see the need to drop it into a conversation straight away.

So tired of labels to be honest, I've been through a few over the years, just happy to say I'm me and leave it at that.

Rach x x x

deja true
03-19-2009, 06:59 AM
Thorny, I really like your idea of "...from...". I think you're right that the first word gets stuck in people's heads if you're bothering to explain the whole concept to someone who's not particularly up on the idea....but...

I'm afraid it's way too late to get the change done globally, given that M2F and F2M is now pretty much a standard way to short hand the trans references. Too bad the terminlogy didn't start out the other way in the first place.

I'm thinking though, that in verbal conversation, it's a very good way to go for those first meetings with those new to the idea . Just gotta make sure that the 'from' is emphasized,eh?

Good thought, brother!

:)