PDA

View Full Version : Laminate Wood Flooring

mart32
06-24-2005, 09:16 AM
i'm about to replace my lounge floor from carpet to wood effect laminate. Then i realised i might cause damage when i'm in my heels. Has anyone had problems with these floors in female footwear?

Sharon
06-24-2005, 09:18 AM
It depends on the quality of the laminate. Some are much harder than real wood and shouldn't be a problem. Some Pergo floors are like walking on stone.

JoAnnDallas
06-24-2005, 09:20 AM
My sister's house had hardwood floors and it's been no problem walking in heels, even spike heels.

Jenny Beth
06-24-2005, 09:33 AM
Most laminates extremely durable so you shouldn't have a problem. A word of advice though, if you are doing this yourself wear a dust mask when cutting, the dust is VERY unhealthy.

Julie York
06-24-2005, 10:42 AM
I have had trouble with laminated floors. Whenever I hear my neighbour going clip clop clip clop clip clop clip clop clip clop all &^%^%$ night and then it goes quiet..... but oh no...clip clop clip clop......

Expect death threats.

Jonien
06-24-2005, 11:06 AM
It all in the quality some are made of a wood a wood chip polpe thay are not very good for fernishing let alone heels so I would suggest going for the MDF type thay are byfar more stronger
There is just one thing though is the sound I love it, it is so fem but if you have to be discreat you have been worned

Deelite
06-24-2005, 03:46 PM
Yep, no problems for me, i have 5 inch stiletto boots and they do not leave a mark.

What i did is before i walked on the floor i used an offcut and tried to make dent in it with my heel, it did'nt mark so i knew my heels would'nt damage the floor.

Hope this helps.

Dee.

Gemma
06-24-2005, 03:49 PM
I have recently done my floors and have had no problem and have stone flooring in my kitchen and bathroom, its great listening to the different sounds they make as i cross from one to another, in my heels of course, but the laminate flooring does get quite dirty at times and is forever being mopped

Anita
06-24-2005, 05:17 PM
in the 70's i worked for a hardwood flooring company and stilletoes did untold damage Some dance halls made wearers fit plasic caps to their heels But was a waste of time Modern "wooden" flooring is mostly photo'd laminate on MDF Never seen a tree in its life but is very hard whereas real wood ismuch softer and will mark with a stilletoe as will certain vinyl floorcovering
Hope this helps
Anita

jo_ann
06-24-2005, 06:42 PM
skip the cheap laminate. Get real hardwood for the same price. I bought bamboo flooring for $2/sq ft, and it's EXTREMELY hard (I think there's only one wood flooring harder), very resiliant to denting. I got it online, but you can try a local lumber liquidators to save on shipping (150 sq feet ended up costing me $150, but not paying tax helped balance it out). Here's about what I got:
http://www.lumberliquidators.com/images/db/durclbamhc_tn.jpg

hardwood really is easy to install, just need to read up a little bit on how, and definetely spend the $25/day to rent a 45° pneumatic nail gun.. way too much work to nail each piece by hand.

Wenda
06-24-2005, 07:36 PM
I would like to expand upon Julie's comment. My facility is designed to resemble a well-known dance hall, hence lots of laminate. Noisy as hell! DO NOT use cheap laminate! My son and I resurfaced his main floor with good quality laminate, but, where his dog slops water on the floor, the laminate is bulging. It chips. I have installed authentic hardwood, with much more acceptable results. wenda.

Julie
06-24-2005, 09:44 PM
I installed Pergo several years ago because of my dog, an Alaskan Malamute. I was worried he'd mark up a real wood floor. To date, neither his claws nor my heels have done any damage to the flooring.