PDA

View Full Version : My new vocal (sort of OT)

Abraxas
06-24-2005, 08:14 PM
I just thought you folks might want to hear my new vocal track...
Also had a question as to whether my singing voice sounds male or female, or if it's hard to tell...
I can't really be objective in this, ya know :)
Anyway, I spologise if this takes forever to download, but here's the link:
No- One But You (http://biscu.com/users/guest@biscu.com/No+One+But+You.WAV?s=55519DA4806D4EEF8AAA54AB3664A 047 )

The song is called No- One But You, and it was originally by Queen. The piano, organ, and guitar (most of which mysteriously disappeared off the track but will be back before the final mix) are all me as well.
So... Whatcha think?

Tamara Croft
06-24-2005, 09:44 PM
WOW

... just..... wow..... you have a fantastic voice

(albeit fem)

Abraxas
06-25-2005, 12:59 AM
Thanks very much :D

Sharon
06-25-2005, 02:20 AM
It's outstanding Eddie! I can truly feel the emotion in your voice (fem or not :) ) :clap: :bow:

Abraxas
06-25-2005, 03:27 AM
Thanks very much!
It's an emotional song to begin with-- Brian May wrote it after Freddie Mercury died, and he and Roger Taylor both sang on the original track, so... Yes, very powerful song. I hope I did it justice (really, I hope Brian likes it, when I send him the finished album).

Sharon
06-25-2005, 03:49 AM
Cool!! Make sure you make it available to us when you finish it. And please keep us updated on any reactions you may get also. :)

Abraxas
06-25-2005, 04:03 AM
Of course.
The reactions I've gotten so far have been really good. Everybody seems to like it, and there has also been some shock, too...
For some reason, everybody I've ever met has been shocked when they find out I can sing-- from friends to choir teachers. I guess I just don't look like the singing "type" or something.
I'm a bit nervous as to the reactions of people in a Queen group (on Myspace.com) I posted this on. Some of the more hard-core Queen fans might hate it just because it isn't Queen. But I'm hoping they'll be open- minded enough to be objective. Cross your fingers for me that I don't get flamed!
My brother was there when I recorded it, and he really likes it (he's, quite simply, an incredible guitarist), especially the very last "They're only flying too close to the sun"-- he says my intonation sounds like Freddie :D
My mum likes it but she doesn't really like the style, with the runs and stuff. But I wanted the track to be as powerful as it could possibly be, so I sang to emphasise certain things. But I will probably re-sing a line or two in the first verse.
If anybody wants to hear the original song, I can probably provide it upon request, so you can "compare and contrast" or whatever.
:p

Kera_Efflorescence
06-25-2005, 07:49 AM
Aiiiiiii, why didn't you compress it to mp3?!?

Oh well... very nice singing... emotive and powerful. Yes, it does sound female.. if you're trying not to, it might help to choose subject material which is a little more aggressive though, I dunno. Did you record this yourself? The quality's really pretty decent if so. Nice subtle reverb and no pops/distortion.

Wendy me
06-25-2005, 08:51 AM
wow that was just so good ....when it down loaded it went to my dell song thingy...
i am going to put that on my ipod thingy.....thankyou well worth the down load wait...

Abraxas
06-25-2005, 03:08 PM

Okay... Well I do agree that I should sing something more aggressive but ya know... For this album I just wanted songs I like. I've chosen songs that are all by male artists to begin with... So I think some of them may end up a bit more andro.
And no, I didn't actually record it myself. I did it in a studio with an engineer.
THe good thing about that is, at the very end when I sing "window"-- that particular day I could not sing that without my voice breaking. So the third time I did it, it sounded pretty good, just a tiny bit out of tune-- so he pitch- corrected it (that's the only thing he fixed). The first little break in that work is actually my voice breaking, although it sounds like I did it on purpose.
I didn't compress it into an mp3 cos I haven't got a clue how. :o
lol nice graphic, Julie. I had no idea how much Brian looked like a turtle!

Eek! And now I'm late to work! Gotta run!

Shinya
06-25-2005, 06:36 PM
Great job.....

Here is a link of you song, compressed into a wma file of about 4 megs.

I used yousendit to get it to you , and there is only 7 days or 25 downloads as the limits to it. So I hope you get it before it is gone.

http://s17.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2VCOMBM10I6V03HRAFIUA442N9

SilkenPrincess
06-25-2005, 07:08 PM
Bravo! Eddie, Bravo! Extremely well done! Fem, yes. I can relate to that, though. I always flip through the radio dial loking for a female singer to sing along with. I don't sound too bad as long as all the windows are up and nobody's in the car with me. LOL! I recognize the musical talent as well. I used to play the guitar, so I can appreciate the feeling of the piano there. Great job!
Love,
SilkenPrincess

StephanieCD
06-26-2005, 06:58 PM
I've done a little recording and I've been playing 18 years... nothing I ever put down sounded that good - great voice.Let us know when you get everything mixed down and ready to send to Brian... you really mean Brian May? You know him or anything?

Abraxas
06-27-2005, 04:10 AM
Thanks, Stephanie. :D
I've been singing my whole life and playing piano since I was 3... and have 8 other instruments under my belt (mostly). And I've been performing for about 15 years so I've got a lot of experience. This album has taken me 5 years so far and I'm determined not to release it unless every single song makes people go "wow, that was amazing".
And yes I mean Brian May. I don't know him personally but we do email back and forth on occasion, so I suppose we know each other on some level.

Anyway, gotta go to work (these late nights are NOT helping with my already erratic sleep schedule).

Abraxas
08-10-2005, 06:09 AM
So... I've got my new website up, with more audio clips. The URL is in my signature. I'd appreciate feedback on the other tracks as well (they won't take so long to download).
Thanks, fols! :D

Abraxas
08-10-2005, 02:55 PM
Thanks very much :)
I'm working on the guy thing, or at least the androgynous thing. My voice obviously sounds more male in the lower registers, or in the very high end of my chest range (because I do have a complete tenor range-- I think my range is the same as Michael Jackson's, or perhaps, erm... somebody else).
There's one line in Dust in the Wind, "Crumbles to the ground though we refuse to see" which I've triple- dubbed (I'm going to add another) which I think sounds fantastically male. But that's just one line. So, I am working on it.
But I am glad you folks enjoy my work!

º’~\_…trace GG…_/~’º
08-29-2005, 09:10 PM
So... I've got my new website up, with more audio clips. The URL is in my signature. I'd appreciate feedback on the other tracks as well (they won't take so long to download).
Thanks, fols! :D

wow! i've just listened to your songs and they are amazing! you are so incredibly talented. nice one :thumbsup:

Abraxas
08-31-2005, 03:05 AM
Thanks very much! :D