PDA

View Full Version : Outted by my next door neighbor

kellycan27
03-22-2009, 10:18 PM
I finally met the young couple that have just purchased the house across the street from me.During our conversation the wife let it slip that my next door neighbor had outted me to them. I was a bit miffed (at my neighbor) I just said ,and? She kind of gave me an odd look.. she said, and I think it will be nice having someone my age right across the street. Do you drink coffee?
A bit later I was out planting some flowers in my yard and my neighbor came over. She said , I see you met that nice young couple across the street. Yes, I said and I want to thank you for giving them the low down on me.
That was ok wasn't it? dear? I mean I didn't give away a secret did I? after thinking about it for a second I just popped out laughing and said No, it was perfectly ok and no it is absolutely not a secret. Thank you.
I often tell people in here that maybe they should lighten up some. I guess maybe I should practice what I preach. I got a bit on the defensive where there was really no need.

Karen564
03-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Hey, That's what neighbors are for, to just get as much gossip out there as possible over a cup of coffee..
Anyways, you handled it very well & there's no sense making a neighbor an enemy over something that's true..
But it still would of been better if she didn't say anything personal about you.
But at least it's all in the open now, and one less thing for you to worry about.

Teri Jean
03-22-2009, 11:13 PM
Kelly, maybe the thing to do is invite them over for coffee. This way they can meet you and your wife and if the questions come up you can do a little informational education.

Keli

celeste26
03-22-2009, 11:14 PM
Secondly it is important to lighten up, we all (including me) tend to be very intense in this life.

kellycan27
03-23-2009, 12:32 AM
Normally I am pretty even keel, and would have just taken it in stride.. maybe just my hormones i don't know. lol My point was that maybe I reacted when there was no reaction nessesary. My new neighbor didn't seem to be bothered, and my next door neighbor didn't see it as an issue, just a fact.She wasn't giving any secrets away.

Phyliss
03-23-2009, 03:17 AM
The main methods of communication:

Telegraph

Telephone

Television

Tell a neighbor

Gabrielle Hermosa
03-23-2009, 03:34 AM
...I got a bit on the defensive where there was really no need.

It sounds like no harm was done and everyone seems cool with who you are. Feeling the need to be defensive was unnecessary, but also understandable. No one enjoys having their personal business brought up in conversation as if it were something that other people should know or needed to know.

I think we all understand that to most, the whole transgendered thing is a big curiosity. We have to expect that this will end up being the kind of thing people end up saying "oh, and did you know that so and so also happens to be a..." It's not something I'd be happy with in the slightest (if I were talked about), but I do understand people's need to share something that is such a foreign concept to them.

If it were my own neighbors talking about the same issue with me, the reaction might be very different. People around here are not nearly as open-minded as where you live. I would likely get talked about as "one of those people" and get the cold shoulder and/or nasty looks from them.

Count your blessings, Kelly. All neighbors talk about their neighbors. In your case, everyone seems comfortable with who you are and no negativity is present. I think I like your neighborhood a lot better than mine.

Vicky_Scot
03-23-2009, 07:05 AM

Telegraph

Telephone

Television

Tell a neighbor

I think you have things a bit wrong Phyliss.

Tell a neighbor

Telegraph

Telephone

Television

Telling a neighbour must be the quickest way of communicating above all else.

Xx Vicky xX

kellycan27
03-23-2009, 10:03 AM
tele - woman.....LOL

JoAnne Wheeler
03-23-2009, 10:25 AM
That is not all that bad - you are now "out" - no more secrecy - enjoy

being who you are

JoAnne Wheeler

CharleneT
03-23-2009, 10:38 AM
Sounds like you handled it just fine! Now you don't have to worry about them seeing you dressed etc ( in case that was a worry). Also, it sounds like she wants to get to know you better, which is nice in a neighbor. You also now know that the old neighbor is likely telling everyone. Most likely the whole block knows. This can be freeing !

Sammy777
03-31-2009, 12:09 PM
Well its cool that your new neighbors don't have any hangups.

I guess you could of gotten a bit peeved about the one neighbor spilling the beans, but it seems like they are ok with you also and probably didn't think of doing it in a bad way because it seems like you really aren't trying to hide anything and if you are comfortable with it they think its ok to talk about, not much different then saying Kelly is in the rotary club, lol.

Tina B.
03-31-2009, 12:32 PM
Just proves the point, if anyone else knows, it's not really a secret anymore.
Tina

<3 Keri Lynn <3
03-31-2009, 12:37 PM
In my opinion if I looked like you do I would tell everyone!

But really it isnt nice of them to do that since they wouldnt know otherwise :heehee:

*Hugs*Kisses*