PDA

View Full Version : I got the Texas ID

TxKimberly
03-23-2009, 11:19 AM
So I posted a while back about having contacted the Texas DPS (some states would call it the DMV) to see if it was legal to have both, a Drivers License and a state ID. They agreed that it was perfectly legal and so I was waiting for the chance to take a day off, get dressed, and "Git 'er done!"
The funny thing is that while I was waiting for the chance (less than a week) one or two other people from the forum beat me to it! LOL
Well, today I got 'er done! I have a late flight to Buffalo NY not leaving Austin until 1PM, but I had to be dressed and out of the house before 7AM to sneak past my daughter. That gave me a LOT of time dressed with nothing to do, so I went to the DPS to get the ID.

First I went to the Georgetown DPS. It's a small town so I didn't think it would be much hassle. Couple of problems though. This place was TINY - there would be no privacy for quiet conversations. I got there a few minutes before they open and the parking lot was already full. Not just full, but the the other people waiting were clearly farmers, construction workers, and truck drivers (two 18 wheelers in the parking lot).
I chickened out and drove to the Leander one instead. It was fair sized, had a reasonable crowd, and I just felt better trying it. They treated me with perfect respect, called me "ma'am" etc, and it was seriously easy. All they asked for was my Drivers License and my money.
She did confirm that at least in Texas, the two cards are 100% different so the pic on the ID I just got will not end up on my drivers license. After she snapped my picture, I winked at her and asked her if she'd managed to make me look gorgeous. She laughed, looked at the monitor (no she didn't show it to me) and said "Yep, looks pretty good!".
Now I just have to wait two weeks for it to arrive in the mail! :-)

Tamera
03-23-2009, 11:27 AM
I know a girl in Ohio that had to have her name leagally changed before the BMV would change her name.
1st she had to apply to have her name changed. That was about 55.00 then she had to have an add in the paper for 30 days to see if anyone would contest it, that was about 55.00.
After that she got a court date and her name got changed. She has her DL and SS card changed with her new name.

"DID THEY CHANGE THE GENDER TO, OR JUST YOUR NAME?????

Some states will even let you change the gender on your Birth Certificate.
Hugs,
Tamera

Kelli Michelle
03-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Awesome. That is great news.

I am probably a little ways away from doing that, but...one day I will do it for sure.

Questions: 1. Let's just say a cop pulls you over for a busted tail light, and you were dressed en-femme. Normally he would ask for a drivers license. Would you give him both, or just the license, or what? 2. Obviously you would use the id for flying, where else would you use it? I can't see if being used to verify a credit card while shopping (or would you?) since the names would be different, unless your credit card is in your fem name.

CharleneT
03-23-2009, 12:36 PM
A tale of a different kind of travel ! It is interesting. I think I may give the Iowa DMV a call and see if they have a similar policy. Thanks (again) for telling your story and giving out some courage in a bottle to the rest of us.

vikki2020
03-23-2009, 01:37 PM
You are now officially official!:thumbsup:

Niya W
03-23-2009, 01:41 PM
I know a girl in Ohio that had to have her name leagally changed before the BMV would change her name.
1st she had to apply to have her name changed. That was about 55.00 then she had to have an add in the paper for 30 days to see if anyone would contest it, that was about 55.00.
After that she got a court date and her name got changed. She has her DL and SS card changed with her new name.

Hugs,
Tamera

All states now require the name change to be done legal before they will change the name on the DL.

All but 12 states will let you change the gender marker on your birth certificate. Ohio is one of the 12.

MJ
03-23-2009, 02:09 PM
so it's official your you :D . congratulations sis

Kayla Shadows
03-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Yay!!! :) Thats awesome to hear.Congrats on gettin' it done. Glad everything went pleasantly too :hugs:

Mary Lee
03-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Kimberly,

Did the state ID have your female or male name on it or is your first name gender nutural.

I am one of the girls that lives in Ohio.

SherriePall
03-23-2009, 04:47 PM
Kim -- Congratulations on getting that state ID. Now we have to wait a couple of weeks to see the pic.

Brina Halloween
03-23-2009, 04:52 PM

Hugs,
Tamera

I read the previous thread. All information was required to be the same as on the DL. Name, gender, everything. Just a different picture to match the presentation.

Patricia1
03-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Way to go. You rock, sister.

insearchofme
03-23-2009, 05:49 PM
You have to wait 2 weeks? Do you live in a third world country? In my home state you'd get it right there. Too bad Texas is so far behind the times!

Niya W
03-23-2009, 05:52 PM
You have to wait 2 weeks? Do you live in a third world country? In my home state you'd get it right there. Too bad Texas is so far behind the times!

:Angry3:

California is the same way. Its just that Ohio is a hick town with not that many people :)

Seriously I'd expect with the real ID act that its going to take all states a bit longer

Jenny J
03-23-2009, 06:20 PM
Well Kimberly, it looks like you found a way to get around that pesky photo radar out my way. Now you have an ID to prove it wasn’t you doing 75 mph down one of our fine highways. At least that’s what you can tell the judge at your hearing.:wm:

BTW, I was walking by the departure gate of that Allentown flight the other day on my way to get a cup of coffee. I was hoping that I’d see the Forum's Famous Frequent Flyer waiting for a flight there but alas, I failed. However, there was a volleyball team or something with a bunch of teenage girls waiting for their flight and they were pretty intimidating. I was of course in drab mode but they made me nervous just being around them so I beat a hasty retreat to another Koffee Kiosk for my caffeine fix.:worried:

Jen

:rose2

zeroled
03-23-2009, 06:37 PM
Awesome. That is great news.

I am probably a little ways away from doing that, but...one day I will do it for sure.

Questions: 1. Let's just say a cop pulls you over for a busted tail light, and you were dressed en-femme. Normally he would ask for a drivers license. Would you give him both, or just the license, or what? 2. Obviously you would use the id for flying, where else would you use it? I can't see if being used to verify a credit card while shopping (or would you?) since the names would be different, unless your credit card is in your fem name.

You might need a DL to prove you're leagal to drive. State IDs don't prove you're licensed to operate a vehicle...no matter how hot you are. :heehee:

Jess_cd32
03-23-2009, 07:21 PM
Congratulations Kim, way to go!

JennMW
03-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Hi Kimberly,

Congrats!

What does your spouse think about this?

Do you usually get the mail at home?

Does your spouse ever open the mail?

Just wondering... And hoping for the best!

joann07
03-23-2009, 09:30 PM
WOO HOO!! You go Kimberly. :cheer:
You've got a femme ID!!
Congrats!
Now, the circle is complete!! :)

It's too bad you have to wait 2 weeks.
On the day I got mine, I was in and out in about 10 to 15 minutes, ID in hand.
It feels soooooo good when you use it. I compare it to when I first turned 21 and couldn't wait for the day when the clerk asks for my ID when buying boose.
Use it proud girlfriend!

Hugs!

kymberlyjean
03-23-2009, 09:35 PM
I think mine was faster than 2 weeks. Seems like I remember it only being one week, but of course they won't tell you that in case it takes longer.
Congrats!

Kim

Kristen Marie
03-23-2009, 09:57 PM
Well done Kimberly! Now come back to Boston so we can all see it!!

Patty
03-23-2009, 10:19 PM
Contracts Kimberly !!!!!

NancyTO
03-23-2009, 10:31 PM
Wow, great to hear your finally of age and can get into a liquor establishment. :)

TGMarla
03-24-2009, 12:01 AM
Yeah, Bay-bee! Way to go! :D

Sally2005
03-24-2009, 12:28 AM
All the question have already been answered...its an ID with your legal name etc., but with an alternate photo. I was wondering if the photo would ever be linked to your driver's license and that's not the case...so wonderful! Glad you got er done!

ReineD
03-24-2009, 12:50 AM
Congratulations!! :yahoo:

insearchofme
03-24-2009, 06:33 AM
Niya,

My dear I'm not fom Ohio so I can't speak to how they handle it. I'm from Indiana and their DMV recently had a huge makeover and is very user friendly. Making the DVM pay attention to customer satisfaction has speeded many things up. Perhaps California might pay attention.

Of course if there are politicians in charge of anything things can go wrong.

JoAnne Wheeler
03-24-2009, 07:41 AM
That is really a GREAT THING - I am so happy for you

JoAnne Wheeler

Juanita O
03-24-2009, 08:19 AM
way to go girl.

alexmusic
03-24-2009, 08:34 AM
You go girl!!! I’ve though about it a lot and I live about a mile from the DPS building in South Congress but taking that step is about as intimidating as jumping into Barton Springs in my cute pink bikini :)

TxKimberly
03-24-2009, 06:31 PM
OK, lots of questions were asked so here we go!

Oh no Tamera (and others who asked much the same question), I wont be going that far. I have a wife, two children, and a third on the way - I will not ever be going full time. All I did here was get an ID with my female picture, but still using all of my male information, including name and gender.

. . .
Questions:

Let's just say a cop pulls you over for a busted tail light, and you were dressed en-femme. Normally he would ask for a drivers license. Would you give him both, or just the license, or what?
Obviously you would use the id for flying, where else would you use it?
. . .

Answers:

SOOOO many people seems so worried about that and I don't know why. Cross dressing is not illegal. I would feel no need or obligation to explain myself to him. If I get stopped, I'm gonna hand him my license, Insurance, and registration, and tell "Your damn right I know why you stopped me - 'cause I'm not in my muscle car and can't outrun you in this piece of junk!"
Flying was my primary reason, and of course for ID when using a credit card or entering a club.

Don't be slamming the great state of Texas - I know where you live!

What does your spouse think about this?

Do you usually get the mail at home?

Does your spouse ever open the mail?

As a matter of fact my wife IS getting testy (a polite way of saying "Pissed off") at me lately. She's unhappy that I am flying dressed and was clearly agitated about my getting the ID. I'm not sure if it's because she still fears someday I will want to transition, or if she just didn't like the idea of my getting a government document dealing with Kimberly. You would think she would trust my work on that after having been married to me for 21 years and knowing how much I value my word, integrity, and the oath I made her. Like I've said to others though, we have our head trips, and our poor wives have theirs.
My wife has known about me since the beggining and is all right with it. She doesn't love it, but doesn't hate it. I hide nothing from her and never will, so there is no concern about the mail.

Wow, great to hear your finally of age and can get into a liquor establishment. :)

You are so sweet, but we both know I got that age a LONG time ago. :)

cindyscute
03-24-2009, 06:47 PM
still using all of my mail information,

mail ?? did you go to the post office too :heehee: just kidding around.... Congrats on the ID :)

insearchofme
03-24-2009, 07:48 PM
Kim, "darlin" (kind of a Texas drawl)

You know where I live in Indiana, not Ohio. However, if you promise to visit I'll tell ya!

Sara Jessica
03-24-2009, 08:11 PM
Much congratulations Kimberly, I'm so very happy for you!!!

And congrats as well for #3 on the way. Be prepared to welcome absolute chaos into your life...in a good way :)

divamissz
03-24-2009, 08:36 PM
Actually, Louisiana issues you your license on the spot-no waiting. Why Texas can't do the same is a mystery.

And I live in Texas, but my heart's still in New Orleans.

rachel_rachel
03-25-2009, 01:11 AM
You know i myself am staggered that it'going to take 2 weeks for the new ID to come in the mail.
I had to get my drivers licence re done because the print had rubbed off it, I took my old one in to Vicroads and got a new one, photo and all. Total time there was 10 minutes and i walked out with my new licence.

RobynB
03-25-2009, 08:16 AM
Kimberly, Congradulations on the new ID, but most importantly on #3.

Mary Lee
03-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Here is the scoop from the barbaric state of OHIO

State Identification Card
SEE ACCEPTABLE DOCUMENTS LIST (Form BMV 2424 - English & Spanish version)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Description
Current Ohio Identification Card is Digitized.

Header on the Identification Card is green if 21 years or older. The heading has the words: "OHIO Identification Card." The image appears on the right side.

If under 21 years of age, the header on the Identification Card is red. The heading has the words: "OHIO Identification Card." The image appears on the left side, with "UNDER 21 UNTIL (date)" on the right.

In Ohio, you can not hold an Ohio driver license and Identification Card at the same time. :eek:

Ohio Identification Cards, are used for identification only. You can NOT use this card for driving privileges.

Ohio Identification Cards are valid for four (4) years, expiring on the applicant's birthday.

There is no minimum age for obtaining an Ohio Identification Card.

How to obtain an Ohio Identification (ID) Card
Applicant must provide proof of name, date of birth and social security number (if assigned one). See Acceptable Documents.

You may apply for an OHIO Identification Card at any local Deputy Registrar's office. The fee is $8.50. See Driver License Fees.

TxKimberly
04-02-2009, 09:27 PM
I GOT IT, I GOT IT, I GOT IT!~

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3657/3408414354_6ab5015c3a.jpg

SuzanneS
04-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Absolutely beautiful Kimberly! I am so happy for you!

Suzanne

Mary Morgan
04-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Wow Kimberly, you are very talented.

Glenda
04-02-2009, 09:50 PM
It looks great and you took a good picture as well. I guess it is time for some of the rest of us to pony up and git 'er done as well.

insearchofme
04-03-2009, 06:25 AM
Not only are you our Idol but you take such a great pic for your I.D. If you weren't so nice I might hate you, LOL!

Hugs,

Fab Karen
04-03-2009, 06:40 AM
Yes, it is a nice ID pic.
As far as I know, no state allows gender change on a ( legal ) ID without authorization of a judge.
Why do some states take awhile to process them? Number of citizens perhaps, and security measures to make it extremely difficult to create fake ID's ( Ca. for example has the faint "holograms" over them which can only be seen when light is shining on them, and on the back has the computer reading strip as well as a bar code )
Unless you expect discrimination from a certain club, a female ID isn't necessary. If they refuse you with your male ID, they don't want "our kind" there. I've never had a problem in non-TG-focused clubs.

cindyscute
04-03-2009, 07:17 AM

Good picture too have fun :)

Jenny J
04-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Congratulations Kimberly, For once a ID photo that looks great.

Jen

Katrina
04-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Congrats Kimberly! Your picture is really cute, too! Unfortunately, that invalidates the ID...sorry...only bad pictures allowed. :p

SherriePall
04-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Kim -- I can't believe how great your ID pic looks. No, No, No. Not that you look great because you always do, but as Katrina has said, usually state photos are usually not good because they are taken when your eyes are shut or your nose is itching or something else has gone wrong. If I am not mistaken, in Pennsylvania our photo takers must pass a strenuous three-week course on how to take bad photos.

Michelia
04-04-2009, 01:30 PM
All the question have already been answered...its an ID with your legal name etc., but with an alternate photo. I was wondering if the photo would ever be linked to your driver's license and that's not the case...so wonderful! Glad you got er done!

Sally, I am not sure what you mean by linked. I got mine in Louisiana and they told me when the police pulls up my ID on the computer both pictures can be accessed.

Thanks for sharing the pic. You look so good and so like you!. They did not allow me make up or lipstick or earrings. They did allow me to wear a little lip gloss and to let my hair down. I am not too happy with my picture, so I have not posted it. You just look fantastic!

linnea
04-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Great, Kimberley!
I'm planning to do the same thing in Washington. It will be an ID card with a picture of Linnea on it. I guess that I'll get it within a few minutes of their taking the picture, so I've heard; but it will have the same name as my driver's license has. Nonetheless, it should take care of some ID concerns that I've had.

PretzelGirl
04-05-2009, 11:16 AM
I'm going to admit it. I'm jealous! :notworthy:

Michelia
04-05-2009, 01:50 PM
Kimberly:

I guess we all go through this. It was just funny hearing you say you actually chickened out from going to the first place. After all the places you have been and all the things you have done!

TxKimberly
04-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Kimberly:

I guess we all go through this. It was just funny hearing you say you actually chickened out from going to the first place. After all the places you have been and all the things you have done!

LOL Believe it or not, even I run out of courage sometimes, especially when dealing with small towns very close to my own home. :)

Phyliss Hdson
04-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Looking good from one Texas girl to another. Houston area.
I am hoping to get my ID If I can ever be home long enough. I am working in Fort Lauderdale 3 weeks out of the month for a while, and I am hoping to find some places to get out to.
Like you I have to be out of the house early for the same reason.