PDA

View Full Version : Clearing Up the Male Clutter

Beth-Lock
03-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Recently, I decided to be a girl and for this reason, make my living space in a smallish apartment, more, well, for the lack of a better word, girlie.
But boy do I have a lot of male junk. Computers, old and not working, computer parts, all manner of junk, male clothes I likely will never wear again, and clutter, clutter, clutter, everywhere. So, over the weekend I started to pitch stuff out that was undeniably just junk. Two ancient computers went in the garbage and one which did not work, stripped down and the working parts removed. But I have a very long way to go, even to partially declutter.
Next, is figuring out how to replace things with girlie things. I already have a pink pillow case and sheet with pink trim on my bed. As I sit here typing this, I am in a nice, gorgeously lush, pink bath robe. But everywhere i look, there is male-oriented junk, and some, seemingly too valuable to just pitch right out.
What am I replacing it with? During the weekend I bought a nice piggy bank with ornate, femme decorations on it. What else? I will have to replace the electric train in my glass-topped curio/coffee table with something femme, perhaps go back to see shells, which is how it started out. I could have some better drappery, and think back to how it was decorated when the previous resident, an older, single woman lived in the apartment. She had lace curtains in the pass-through window to the kitchen. At least I could declutter that area a bit.
Does anyone else face this problem and the dilemmas that come with it?

LadyMirabai
03-23-2009, 07:01 PM
That's funny, I'm in the same situation. My place looks like a classic 'bachelor pad', and I've already started my mass cleaning of the place, getting rid of the junk. But my solution though, I'm getting together with two of my GG friends next week to rearrange it! They don't need to know why, but nope having that stuff around just doesn't cut it. Basically we'll transform it to gender neutral, and then I'll put the girly stuff in after. Cause they don't need to know :)

I might suggest that route :).

Lisa Golightly
03-23-2009, 07:04 PM
I started with the bedroom... It was nice to have one room which was a haven :)

Sitting in the lounge and working into the night I have eight laptops around me and a couple of electric guitars on stands... and a couple of teddy bears... What can I say I'm an eclectic girl :)

sandcastle
03-23-2009, 07:08 PM
If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out.

If you can't bear to throw it out, store it away in a black bin-sack with the date on it and seal it. After a year's gone by, if you can't remember was in the sack, throw the sack out.

Trying to give things to 'deserving homes' is very time-consuming.

Sandra.

Jess_cd32
03-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Not really myself, I have all sorts of tools and use them quite often, my rooms in the house are tastefully done without either gender in mind, 'champaine taste on a beer budget' my Dad says but I pull it off:heehee:

Since I love my male side as much as my female side I'm content with whats around the house.

JoAnne Wheeler
03-24-2009, 01:48 PM
If you want to live as or spend as much time as you can dressing, then make

your home feminine too

JoAnne Wheeler

StevieTV
03-24-2009, 02:31 PM
I was once told by a GG that my house looked like a woman lived in it. She didn't know how true her comment was. My bedroom and bathroom are very feminine. The most masculine area is the garage. Kinda hard to change that space.

Carole Cross
03-24-2009, 02:48 PM
I have started throwing out my old male clothes and any other useless junk lying around. It is difficult though because I am a bit of a hoarder, I got that from my mother, and I keep things that ' I may need someday' but never actually use them and they just take up space. I sometimes clean up then six months later it is as bad as before. I need a bigger place. :heehee:

Angel.Marie76
03-24-2009, 03:06 PM
I started with the bedroom... It was nice to have one room which was a haven :)

Sitting in the lounge and working into the night I have eight laptops around me and a couple of electric guitars on stands... and a couple of teddy bears... What can I say I'm an eclectic girl :)

EIGHT LAPTOPS!! Goodness girly, you're a g33k! Not that I'm much better.. I'd love to redecorate my apartment, but I have the aging hulls of probably about 3/4 dozen PCs, servers, and laptops scattered about with erroneous parts everywhere among soooo much other poo. I should have realized when I needed to buy bed-lifting hardware that I have WAY too much stuff to deal with anymore. I believe soon it will be time to PURGE (but in a MUCH more releasing way!)

Emma1976
03-24-2009, 06:22 PM
I must also confess to being a hoarder, although not compuer stuff - the only one I have is the one I'm typing this on:)
I'm a gearhead and I've got cars and parts stashed all over the place. When I start falling over stuff I'll have a purge and sell or dump a load of stuff. Then inevitably I need something I've just got rid of:Angry3:

Beth-Lock
03-24-2009, 07:23 PM
The computers are a problem with me too. What I really want is a computer museum. If I had money, I would buy a place in the country with a good, weatherproof barn and fill it with techno artifacts, and all the cars I had ever owned. Then when it was full, I would have a quonset hut built beside it, and start the filling of the new space all over again.
Anyway, when people ask me how many computers I have, I just tell them I think it is bad luck to count them.
Even the pet rats I used to have, used to be pack rats, and haul useless, shiny, etc., things, into their lair, including the odd electronic part.
So, I face a real challenge.
But rather than start with the bedroom, which is hopeless, and jam packed with clothes, among other things, I am starting with the least cluttered area, the half of the living room/dining room near the door to the hall. I have at least some chance of overhauling that area in a reasonable length of time. I will take some things to the apartment locker, when I make some space in there, which has been what I have been working on recently, a bit at a time. Ah, a woman's work, mainly meaning cleaning, is never done!

Angie G
03-24-2009, 07:54 PM
No and I'm truly glad of that hun.:hugs:
Angie

Sammy777
03-24-2009, 08:04 PM
I have eight laptops around me and a couple of electric guitars on stands... and a couple of teddy bears... What can I say I'm an eclectic girl :)

Seems we have a few computer geeks in our mist, lol.
And here I though I was the only one, lol.

While not as bad as 8, I do have a pair of 32" monitors for my [now single] desktop and 2 laptops and enough backup parts for 10+ more.
No to mention the guitars [and their spare parts] out on stands and filling up closet space, lol.
Oh, did I mention the amps and PA gear?? :D