PDA

View Full Version : DEAR DIARY... (wearing heels in a public place for the first time)

Carly D.
03-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Tonight I did it.. I filled a dare that I thought of doing two nights ago... I went to a convenience store.. one of those gas & go type things.. I went down the freeway and stopped at a rest area.. I know that can be dangerous at night but I saw there were only three semi trucks there.. I made it a quick go in and come back out type of thing.. the walk in was easy as I'm able to walk up inclines easier than down them.. so walking out back to the car was only slightly trickier.. on to the town to the convenience store.. I get to the town and have the trip in the store thought out.. I'll just walk in.. go to the pop cooler then walk over and get some snack something.. I drive main street and case the place.. there's a big SUV there gasing up so I can't just stop and get the dare over with.. I drive to the other end of town.. then I come back.. this time the SUV also has a pickup next to it in a regular parking stall.. foiled again.. I'm deciding to make ten o'clock the cutoff time for this dare.. I look at the clock in the car.. that gives me about fifteen minutes to do this.. I drive by the store again... I'm looking in the store to see if I recognize the clerk.. I think it might be a girl I have seen there for the past year.. I decide I don't care who it is I'm gonna go in there.. I drive by again and see the SUV pulling away.. I'm not sure if I'd rather have a second car there or even more people or just the clerk alone.. since this is my first contact while wearing heels I think fewer is better.. so I wait for the other truck to pull away.. and my next trip by the pickup is gone.. now it is truth or BS time.. put up or shut up.. I've realized something in my buying womens clothing and that is if I go into a store to buy I am better off "filling" the order rather than not.. the first time I bought anything it was shoes.. then pantyhose.. and both times I was nervous as hell doing it.. but the ice being broken on both things made buying pantyhose and heels easier.. to the point it was mundane.. this had the same feeling.. I would walk into a store knowing that this could be a disaster or it could be awesome.. I drive by the store looking to see if there's anreason not to do this.. I think what if I know this person in the store.. I throw out the idea and round the corner.. I'm starting to feel the excitement of the event at hand.. I round the next corner.. trying not to think that it's that big of a deal..I round the next corner.. THIS IS IT!! I pull into the side parking stall and decide the second from the front is good.. I put the car in park.. shut the engine off.. then without any hesitation I open the door and step out.. I walk onto the sidewalk and head for the corner of the building and rounding the corner I look to see who is manning the ship.. I see the gal that I had seen before (I think) and she's talking to some kid.. not a big kid, more likely a freshman or sophomore in high school.. I think about aborting right there but my feet keep going towards the door.. I can hear my heels outside on the sidewalk approach to the door.. I think they seam loud out here.. I get into the entry way and don't notice the sound being louder.. I open the door and in I step into the store.. this store I've been in many times and once even with some shoes on (low heels that I wore my tennis shoes over to give an idea the size of those shoes) and that was some ten years or more ago.. this was different.. this was IT.. anyway I'm in the store.. the lady says how you doing tonight and I say alright.. I hear my heels very loudly.. the clip clop or more to the point the clop clop sound.. I walk towards the cooler and at one point feel my left foot slip on the floor.. better watch my step.. shorten my stride.. hell I'm in the store, might as well enjoy (?) it.. I get to the cooler row there and notice I might be walking oddly.. I notice I'm sort of grabbing the cooler doors to keep upright(?).. that shouldn't be.. I can't grab anything to walk up to the checkout register.. better right the ship.. so before I get to the cooler with the pop I want I get a little distance away from the cooler.. no crutch there.. I get to the cooler and get the pop.. I turn and walk over to the snack section.. I don't want to be in any kind of hurry because this might never happen again.. but in the same vein I've still got to pay for this stuff.. so I pick out what I want and then start the trek to the register.. the gal was talking to the kid in front of the checkout desk so I walked over there.. as I got closer she turned and got behind the counter.. I nearly slip again as I'm walking to the counter.. I don't notice the kid or the lady look down at my shoes so I figure they were deep in conversation and didn't notice the heel sound as I walked in nor did they think it sounded out of place when I walked up to the counter.. she rings up my purchase and I pay for it.. all the time I'm noticing how things look four inches higher than I usually am.. I get my change and turn and head for the door.. I leave and walk to the car.. all the time thinking I gotta get in the car and go as quick as I can.. I get in the car and start it and drive the same way I came in.. the nerves were there.. this was the ice breaker dare.. the come a little out of the closet dare.. it felt good to do this.. and I wonder what it might feel like to dress full and go into this store.. or to try another dare like this during the day..

Ediosa
03-26-2009, 08:42 PM
Congratulations, this is the first step of many. I bet your heart was running a million miles an hour.

Jess_cd32
03-26-2009, 09:02 PM
I was going to try to read this till I saw no spaces, my eyes aren't that good:sad:

Lori A
03-26-2009, 09:23 PM
Sounds like you had an awesome trip to the C-store. But it sounds like you need to shorten and slow your stride for linoleum floors. The only thing more embarrassing than being recognized in heels might be being recognized in heels as you bust your a**.
Glad you had fun, but do be careful out there.

Starling
03-26-2009, 10:13 PM
I've never been out and about, Carly, so I know nothing. But I'm willing to learn, so I ask: wouldn't heels be less unusual, and therefore less noticeable, on a person presenting as a woman?

:battingeyelashes: Lallie

PS: I do like the heels inside the tennis shoes. I could tell you stories...but they would bore you, and me. Suffice it so say, ladies and gentlemen, we often do strange things in the service of our...whatever theory you follow.

Kimberly Marie Kelly
03-26-2009, 10:25 PM
Found that wearing ankle boots with 3" heels are more acceptable than plain pumps. Some guy's just think they are western boots but they are feminine ankle boots. I started wearing ankle boots about 2 months ago and found that people are okay with it, in fact many of the women compliment me on the boots, that they are nicely styled. They do comment that they make me taller. I can wear them for the whole day without problems and the same women tell me I walk well with them, better than they would..

Plus they are sexy as hell with a short mini-skirt. Now I don't wear a mini-skirt at work, I do at home. :battingeyelashes:

Persephone
03-27-2009, 01:29 AM
Congratulations Carly! Didn't it feel good to live up to your own dare?

And it sounds like you found out a bit about walking on some different surfaces too. Ain't as easy as it looks, huh? At least at first.

Were you wearing pants that went down over your heels? Many women cover their heels with extra long pants that almost touch the floor. That may make you feel a bit more comfortable with the look of your higher heels.

Have fun!

KarenS
03-27-2009, 07:46 AM
I enjoyed that. I felt a bit like I lived the experience, either in my own past or vicariously with you.

Sharing the experience can be wonderful.

Sarah_GG
03-27-2009, 08:55 AM
I was going to try to read this till I saw no spaces, my eyes aren't that good:sad:

And I have attention deficit disorder! Or I think I have....

:)

Heather Dur
03-27-2009, 10:39 AM
Went out with boots/3 inch heels and jeans that almost reached floor. Noticed two things. First, when I went into post office, heels are loud. All went well, however, and decided to go to grocery store. No real problems until I bent over to get something on bottom shelf. Of course, jeans were lifted off of heels and did get a look from some ladies around me. All in all, very funny and gives me something to look forward to next winter.

Carly D.
03-28-2009, 12:33 AM
Thank you for the comments.. today I did a daylight wearing out to a couple of stores.. long story short it had snowed the day before.. I didn't feel any kind of accomplishment at the time but now with a few hours to think it over I do feel better.. I went into a dollar store type of thing.. slipped and slid on the tile at first but then decided maybe I should almost shuffle my feet (not really, it just felt that way).. I then went to the payless store.. it's like my holly grail of stores.. this store is where almost every pair of shoes I have are from..(sad I suppose).. I did wear the booties and a pair of my male jeans (I don't have chic jeans) and the legs do go to the floor even with nearly four inch heels on.. the clerk at the dollar store I think knew I was wearing womens heels.. as well I think the guy at the payless knew as well.. I didn't care.. this was my first daylight wearing and I was (scarred? nervous?) numb for some reason.. it didn't feel like I thought it would or should..
To Heather Dur: our post office has carpeting, and even though that is the case I know how loud the heels are in a building like that, at the dollar store they seemed loud even with the musac playing on the store system.. I thought my heels were really loud at the convenience store but the people who were there didn't seem to look at me at all..
Sorry for the long drawn out reply..

SANDRA MICHELLE
03-28-2009, 01:35 PM
I have worn heels out in public at least a thousand times and it never gets old, I just love the sound they make and I have gotten a variety of looks. I almost always wear fem jeans, even when en drab so I am used to the looks and I think it is pretty cool what you have written about. good luck on your next foray into the world of heel wearing.

cosmolovesph
03-28-2009, 01:39 PM

Gotta say I agree, please folks... if we are going to write that much, give our eyes a litle rest thru your post. I'd love to enjoy your outting as you did, but i couldn't

<3 Keri Lynn <3
03-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Im going to guess you are still full of adrenaline when you typed since thats what it looks like to me, but congrats on doing what I dream of! :hugs:

SuzanneS
03-28-2009, 02:25 PM
Carly, I think that it takes an amazing amount of courage to do what you did...more than I have for sure. I love hearing the sound and the feel of heels when I wear them but so far I haven't had the courage to wear them in public. Sounds like although you may have been scared a bit that you still had fun. Way to go!:)

Carly D.
03-28-2009, 06:54 PM
I have worn heels out in public at least a thousand times and it never gets old, I just love the sound they make and I have gotten a variety of looks. I almost always wear fem jeans, even when en drab so I am used to the looks and I think it is pretty cool what you have written about. good luck on your next foray into the world of heel wearing.

And.. I don't know why I have gotten the courage all of a sudden to try to wear heels in public.. just time I guess...

Tasha McIntyre
03-28-2009, 07:06 PM

Paragraphs are good!

Other than that, good for you fulfilling your self imposed dare. Bet the adrenaline was pumping.

I don't think I will ever attempt 4 inch heels, that would resemble a drunk being stung by a police taser :doh:

JoAnne Wheeler
04-03-2009, 04:13 PM
People hear heels before they actually see them - you said you were making

that lovely sound, so they had to know - great job - proud of you

JoAnne Wheeler

Sam-antha
04-03-2009, 04:37 PM
People hear heels before they actually see them - you said you were making that lovely sound, so they had to know - great job - proud of you

JoAnne Wheeler

I bet you never listened so hard to heels before. Clic, clic and then that scratchy sound that you did not make.
It is surprising just how many "for real heels" do slip with that noise every once in a while.

~Samm

Sarah...
04-03-2009, 05:00 PM
What's a semi-truck? I thought a vehicle was either a truck or not :confused:

Sarah...