PDA

View Full Version : Males Shopping Women's for Clothing

allisonrn06
03-31-2009, 09:05 AM
I have noticed when out shopping for fem clothes, that I rarely see men shopping alone in stores/shops that are strictly women's - usually if I see a guy shopping for women's clothes it's at a store where they have other departments. Normally if I see a guy in a store like Fashion Bug or Forever 21, he's with an SO. It's just an observation I've made, wondering if any of you had noticed the same thing?

pamela_a
03-31-2009, 10:14 AM
In all honesty I really don't pay that much attention to who else is in a store when I'm shopping....unless of course they are between me and the sale racks.

-Paula-

Karren H
03-31-2009, 10:21 AM
Men are scared of being labeled as perverts... Something that I'm obviously not afraid of myself!! Lol.

Lisa Golightly
03-31-2009, 10:25 AM
They're all buying them on the internet... It's how most boys like to shop :)

Hope
03-31-2009, 11:02 AM
Men avoid anything feminine, because it makes them look less macho, less masculine. Being seen in a "women's" store, or in a place that is inhabited traditionally, or significantly only by women makes them loose masculinity "points." So... naturally you won't see men in a store set up for women... it is anathema to their goal of being "real men."

Sucks to be them.

Lorileah
03-31-2009, 11:08 AM
Of course girls of our persuasion don't have a problem rummaging through women's clothing racks. One time I was in a department store looking for a specific size and style of bra for (and with) my wife who was across the department. Karren would have been proud of the hip check and scowl I got from a woman who thought that I should not be in that area. Without a thought I grabbed the nearest bra and held it across my chest and said "Wadda ya think? My style?" I never saw anyone move away so fast :)

So you see WHY men don't shop women's departments? It is just another of those imposed double standards we have in society. You always see women buying men's briefs and I know at least three who actually WEAR them.

julie w
03-31-2009, 11:16 AM
Most ( real men) would not be caught dead in the womens department
about the only time we may get away with it is christmas other times
most sales ladies will suspect ,

SherylynJade
03-31-2009, 11:16 AM
Ususally I'm by myself when I go shopping to places like Fashion Bug and such.

Stefanie_Adams
03-31-2009, 11:17 AM
LoriLeah is right girls like us don't have much of a problem going into traditional womens stores. As a matter of fact I am usually the one who is more nervous but I do it anyway. If I really feel uncomfortable I usually say something like " I am looking for a gift for my best girl" that takes the heat off me :). The SA usually want to help thinking, I am sure, that I am lost and need help. If they only new :heehee:The only time I get one of those looks is from a older lady in the drugstore where I shop. but than again I am an old "hippie" and where my hair long . yeah that's it.

JeanneF
03-31-2009, 11:19 AM
I've never had any concerns about going into stores that sell only women's clothes. If anything, I prefer to buy my girl stuff at those stores vs. ones where I shop regularly as a boy. It's a little awkward buying both a dress and work (boy) clothes at the same time at Banana Republic. Not that I don't do it, but it's a little funny.

<3 Keri Lynn <3
03-31-2009, 11:25 AM
I use to browse stores then ordered stuff online. I'm a coward I guess :sad:

But now I go with my sister we go to the mall we both go in, I pick it out and she takes it up to the register. Ive also seen men in the stores, arms folded and just trying not to touch anything or look at anything to long so their SO or their Ego doesn't slap them in the face. Testosterone and male ego is a strange thing that makes them do strange things.

*Hugs*Kisses*

Persephone
03-31-2009, 11:33 AM
I love watching guys who are waiting for their wife or girlfriend who has gone into the dressing room to try something on. It is the same each and every time.

She's completely oblivious to the fact that he is in complete flight or fight mode just by being in the women's section of the store. There may be a couple of small couches but there is no way he's going to sit down.

Now she's asked him to hold her purse and he's standing there looking like he's holding a plastic bag full of toxic waste with a nuclear bomb in the middle.

On top of which, he appears to desperately want to use his free hand to check his balls 'cause he's certain that once he touched the purse they fell off.

You gotta love it!

JulieC
03-31-2009, 12:06 PM
Men are scared of being labeled as perverts... Something that I'm obviously not afraid of myself!! Lol.

Might be a compliment for you :lol:

JulieC
03-31-2009, 12:10 PM
I love watching guys who are waiting for their wife or girlfriend who has gone into the dressing room to try something on. It is the same each and every time.

She's completely oblivious to the fact that he is in complete flight or fight mode just by being in the women's section of the store. There may be a couple of small couches but there is no way he's going to sit down.

Now she's asked him to hold her purse and he's standing there looking like he's holding a plastic bag full of toxic waste with a nuclear bomb in the middle.

On top of which, he appears to desperately want to use his free hand to check his balls 'cause he's certain that once he touched the purse they fell off.

You gotta love it!

Hysterical and true!

I feel sorry for such men. Very, very uncomfortable in their masculinity. I love shopping with my wife, and sitting on those very same couches while she picks out dresses and what not and tries them on, coming out to model them for me. It's fun, classy, and enjoyable.

On one such recent trip, our two daughters were with is. My wife came out in a particularly stunning dress that fit her perfectly and accented her best features. I didn't have to say anything. My two daughters, both of whom are quite young, began to immediately chant in unison "Buy the dress! Buy the dress!" :)

PhillyGuy2Girl
03-31-2009, 01:40 PM
I felt a little awkward at first when shopping for woman's clothes,but now when ever go shopping,it doesn't bother one bit. I received a Kohl's discount card in the mail last week and it starts April 1st, so I can't wait to go shopping and and get some clothes. I definitley love to shop plus the cashiers don't care as long as you pay.

Felicity :)

sissystephanie
03-31-2009, 01:49 PM
Most ( real men) would not be caught dead in the womens department
about the only time we may get away with it is christmas other times
most sales ladies will suspect ,

I resent that statement! I am a "real" man, albeit a crossdressing one! I spend far more time in the women's departments and stores than I do in the men's. Sometimes in drab, but more often wearing feminine clothing but without a wig or makeup. That way there is not confusion for the SA's. I am there to buy women's clothing for myself! End of story!

AshleyBlue
03-31-2009, 02:07 PM
I am really having a hard time figuring out when I can buy things. I don't have anyone to go to the store with and I am too scared to just take a arm full of clothes in the dressing room. Any advice?

TxKimberly
03-31-2009, 02:09 PM

As usual Karen said it before I could. . .

Natalia
03-31-2009, 02:11 PM
I prefer a big stainless steel Craftsman 50 foot industrial model. That way when I measure skirt waists I look manly!:D

SherriePall
03-31-2009, 02:30 PM
The only times I go into women's stores is when I have to buy something for my wife as a gift or when I have to go along to hold the heavy shopping bags she has. Then I have to stand there and act bored and count the ceiling tiles and the number of speakers and the security mirrors. All of which is not easy to do when you're trying to check out the latest maxi-dress or some satin and lace item.

AshleyBlue
03-31-2009, 02:30 PM
I want to go into wet seal and get some of those bright colored skinny jeans but I am too big of a wuss. Plus, I dont think they would have my size anyway

Leslie Mary S
03-31-2009, 02:32 PM
I am really having a hard time figuring out when I can buy things. I don't have anyone to go to the store with and I am too scared to just take a arm full of clothes in the dressing room. Any advice?

Bite the bullet and do it.
Here's a way to do it. Find a store you like and you are friendly with the SA or get friendly with a SA. You might need to visit the shop several times and dry shop (look but don't try on, but buy. accessories are some areas where you could do this without much trouble.)

Once you have a friendly SA, pick out one dress and ask if you could try it on because you and your sister/girlfriend are the same size (smart SAs will know it's for you). If you get a go ahead, you have your foot in the door. Repeat as needed.
Soon you will be taking several outfits at once. By now you might as well tell that one SA that you would like her to 'keep your secret' that you'r a CDer. (most likely she already knows, as well as most of the SA do too, but it is a protocol issue.)

Soon they will know who and what you are and you will have arrived on a procure acceptable to you, the store, and the SAs..

Repeat the above at several stores. Maybe several in one day each trip.

Have fun.

Kaz
03-31-2009, 02:53 PM
A UK perspective... now let me tell you straight up. I have never been brave enough to shop en femme, and when trying clothes (very few) I have done what someone else has said today in a different thread and mixed them with some male clothes... okay, a cop out!

However, dressing in drab and shopping for Kaz.. I once had an experience where I bought a couple of thongs and the "very young" assistant, amongst a big group of GGs announced that there was on offer, buy 5 and pay for 3... so I stocked up! Amidst much giggling!

However, in most of my experiences over the past god knows how many years, the younger the SAs are the more they "respect" you? I have had some great conversations and they go out of their way to help... of course they are assuming I am buying for my SO... which is nice! After all, most men wouldn't dream of doing it!

So I enjoy this experience immensely... and the lack of men of course makes it so much more feminine an experience!!

Leslie Mary S
03-31-2009, 02:55 PM
Question is not our other half also a SO?

Ruth
03-31-2009, 03:18 PM
Maybe I'm too far gone to care, but I just don't get it. A shop is where you buy things. The assistants are there to take your money and wrap the goods. They are really not interested in what you do after you leave the store.
I love to buy clothes when en femme, because it's, like, the whole experience, but I am just as much at ease buying women's clothing (including underwear) when in man mode.
The whole crossdresser paranoia thing is entirely in your head (or not) - nobody else in the store gives a xxxx about your particular personal peculiarity. I know I've gone on about this repeatedly, but it's just a non-existent problem.

Sigrid Cutie
03-31-2009, 03:28 PM
yes i have notis this, me particularly when i go with my SO i help when she is in the changing rooms i'm actually browsing the store and giving her new thigs to try, and in the mean time i'm browsing for my self :)

although i have never gone shopping while in feme, i have no probem at any of the stores, i'm quite comfortable shopping alone in an all women clothing store.
i have never had a bad experience, all the sales staff are quite helpfull.

You gotta love it!

Byanca
03-31-2009, 03:55 PM
You know, it's much easier to bully a frightened chicken then a confident and nonchalant labrador. Use the tricks they do. Tell them it is rude to stare. Or whisper in your friends ear while you point at the stalker.

amanda w
03-31-2009, 03:59 PM
It was awkward at first shopping for wemans clothes but now I just go and have fun. Iget alot of help from sa and I love it. I go in feme alot now. The last 2 years I have goon to the V.A mental health clinic doc appointments in feme and had no probems

Kaz
03-31-2009, 04:02 PM
Question is not our other half also a SO?

Answering your query on this - no SO in sight, so they think that because you a male buying female clothing, you are buying for your SO (significant other in UK speak?)... hence the charm..

As I am from the UK I should follow this up with an apology...:D

Sorry if I created confusion and potentially caused offence... I am after all... English!! :love:

Now I need :drink:

LOL xx

gerri ray
03-31-2009, 04:59 PM
From what I've learned and observed it's all based on the way people are brought up and taught. I learned a very interesting fact when I was in my teens before i stareted dressing in colorful suit jackets of pink and blue and purple leather jackets. My inspiration was Elvis and others from that era. Anyway back to the fact I learned. Up until the mid 1800's I belive it was(could be a little off) baby boys were wrapped in pink, cause it was considered more of a male color. Baby girls were wrapped in blue cause it was considered more of a softer, feminine color. I though u might enjoy this little fact.:)

Ashley_1962
03-31-2009, 05:01 PM
It is just another of those imposed double standards we have in society. You always see women buying men's briefs and I know at least three who actually WEAR them.

Are you including Karren Hutton as one of the three?? :)

JaylaaGurl
03-31-2009, 05:46 PM
I like to buy stuff for my SO and have been doing it for years. So its easy for me to shop for clothes for me as though I was doing it for a SO because I've done it many times. Its pretty fun to be shopping with my SO and suggest that she get something because I want to wear it! :D

Shoes, make up and stuff like that are a challenge for me. Its harder to sell myself and others on the idea that I might be buying the stuff for someone else..

CD Susan
03-31-2009, 06:23 PM
Maybe I'm too far gone to care, but I just don't get it. A shop is where you buy things. The assistants are there to take your money and wrap the goods. They are really not interested in what you do after you leave the store.
I love to buy clothes when en femme, because it's, like, the whole experience, but I am just as much at ease buying women's clothing (including underwear) when in man mode.
The whole crossdresser paranoia thing is entirely in your head (or not) - nobody else in the store gives a xxxx about your particular personal peculiarity. I know I've gone on about this repeatedly, but it's just a non-existent problem.

I agree with Ruth 100%. I don't pay much attention to other shoppers when I am in a store shopping. I lost all inhibitions about buying womens clothes a long time ago.

sherryleigh
03-31-2009, 06:55 PM
I buy my clothes everywhere, wal mart, malls other retail sores in my disguisting work clothes. It doesn't matter what time it is because I j

ust ask for a gift receipt, my 'girlfriend, lover or wife is needy and I'm more than willing to fullfil 'her' desires.

Sherry

Crysten
03-31-2009, 07:25 PM
Kaz - You're not JUST ENGLISH - you're a YORKIE!! :)

I can only say, I get soooo nervous shopping for women's clothes, I generally chicken out. Alas, has happened many a time. Thank god for the internet. My wife introduced me to online shopping probably 10 years ago (I was totally unaware). So, no more problem!!! I may venture back out someday, who knows. Actually, I guess the postman knows. LOL.

Crysten

Byanca
03-31-2009, 07:50 PM
baby boys were wrapped in pink, cause it was considered more of a male color. Baby girls were wrapped in blue cause it was considered more of a softer, feminine color.
I knew, a quick google search, and several articles about how the girl and boy colours have changed.I was baptised in this beautiful white dress. Almost all blondes. I think that is even better, same for everyone-all dresses. I wonder if this is still how they do it.

TSchapes
03-31-2009, 08:46 PM
I've shopped in Avenue (even have a credit card) in drab, and don't care who sees me...

-Tracy

Tora
03-31-2009, 08:50 PM
Schazaam! We might have just hit on something. Maybe this is why an enlightened SA will ask if She can help start a dressing room for me. I feel at ease in womens only shops. I generally scout a store before a true mission, to meet the staff and see the changing rooms. A row of stalls with small dutch doors, will not work. If I like the store, clothes and staff, I will return, underdressed, with shoes, slip, forms and veronica in a shopping bag. A few stores are just not set up for our needs, a bit more privacy, for me and there GG customers. Not very often that another males is attending Solo. Tracy is right about AVENUE being nice. They have cute larger lingerie. They have a cool GUY SA at the Allen Park, Mich store, low key, professional.

silkysabrina
03-31-2009, 11:43 PM
Well once a upon a time I was totally mortified when I would go out shopping for womens clothes in a womens store. Then one day I thought to myself, hell my wife goes and shops for clothes for me in a mens store and doesn't think a thing about it, nor gets labled as a "pervert" or Cross dresser! So I just decide to do it, and enjoy the rush of shopping for clothes. Perhaps I have been lucky, but I never have once been questioned or teased, etc. In fact the salesgirl usually is very helpful and we have some nice conversations while she answers all the questions I can think of...

Kathi Lake
04-01-2009, 12:13 AM
I gave up caring years ago what others might think of my masculinity. I gladly go shopping with my wife. I gladly carry her purse. I gladly cruise the racks while she's changing to look for other items she might like.

Later, when she's not with me, I gladly go back to the same store and try on the things I saw while cruising the racks "for her." :) Many of the SAs know this. Once, one who didn't know not to tip off the wife asked, "So, are you coming back later?" I covered by saying, "Oh, you know us. We'll always be back later!" Phew!

Kathi

amy canada
04-01-2009, 12:28 AM

I don't have anyone to go to the stores with either, but I'm getting more confidence with every day that I come to this site. Everyone is so helpful on here.

However, I still do chicken out a lot, and I don't mind it because I don't have a lot of money so if I don't buy anything, that means more money in my wallet. But really, you could just tell the SA that you're shopping for your SO, since your SO is basically you at the moment if you're single, right? I'm my own SO, so you can be your own SO. It'll also feel really good when the day comes where I can tell the SA or other people that I'm a CD. I haven't yet told anyone (beside you people) but I'm sure the SA's can figure it out, especially if they can see what items I'm holding or going to try on in the fitting room.

Kathi Lake
04-01-2009, 12:39 AM
Yes, the SA's - and women in general - have a very good radar. They know when someone is really buying for themself. Many, if not most, are cool with it. You should be too. If you are so nervous that they're afraid you're going to hurl all over the dress you want to try on, they're going to be a bit apprehensive (surprise!). Remember, you're just trying on clothes, not raping bunnies, so have fun! Don't be nervous and give off the spooky vibe. That gives them a reason to mistrust you.

Kathi

trannie T
04-01-2009, 12:44 AM
It is always amusing to see another male in the ladie's section, most are there as unwilling victims of their SO and would just as soon be at the dentists having a root canal. I on the other hand am having a wonderful time there.

allisonrn06
04-01-2009, 04:19 AM
Thanks for all your replies - you've had a lot of funny ones. Did want to say I'm hardly nervous at all anymore shopping for women's clothes, I was commenting more on what I've seen from other men while out shopping those places. :hugs: Allison

nicole 555
04-01-2009, 06:46 AM
my wife open a credit card with her name and a email address with her name for me. I buy online and mail order with no worries. the hard part is when boxes come to the house the children think it for them. we just have to get them before they do

Sharon B.
04-01-2009, 07:22 AM
I'll admit it I do buy on line, I have one vehicle and you would need a large area to turn it around in or to park it in.(3/4 ton 4x4 super cab pickup) yes I need it for towing a trailer whenever I am in male mode and no I can't afford another vehicle.
However I do find time to go the mall once in a while and will shop at in woman's stores as a male and have no problem doing it.
I am wanting to go out more as a woman and to get to the point of shopping as one, I would love to get employment as a sales associate as a woman.

Jocelyn Quivers
04-01-2009, 08:00 AM
Even though I shop with my wife, I have gotten less nervous about it and will pretty much no longer hide the fact that we are looking for clothes for me and not her.

Every once and a while we will notice a GG staring at us and I will basically stare right back in a "can I help you, what are you looking at?" manner. I have also noticed more males also actively shopping with there SO's also.

I still haven't gotten brave enough to go completely shopping by myself.

boardpuppy
04-01-2009, 08:00 AM
I still do almost all my shopping in drab, hopefully I can change this bad habit. I still feel the eyes boring into my back as I brows the rack whichever store I happen to be in. When trying on clothes, I have been lucky and a SA advises and criquics my choises/combinations/styles on me. I worry about freaking out a women when trying on clothes but mostly this hasn't stopped me. With an SO and girls(3) in tow, I get a lot of time to brows the racks and still get asked if something looks goods or fits properly by whoever.

Alice

Sara Jessica
04-01-2009, 08:17 AM
Remember the original question/comment...observations about other men in shopping environments. Many (if not most) men profess to hate shopping anyway, even for their own stuff. Drop them into a VS or someplace like that and they clam up and feel like the entire world is observing them in such a feminine environment. Heaven forbid they have to actually buy something there for their SO. I bet many of them would just faint if they had to buy feminine sanitary products from the drug store!!!

That said, this is where being tg has an advantage. I can shop wherever I wish, for a gift or for myself, and can really give a hoot what people think.

But this thread also makes me think of another angle. A man in VS shopping for his SO and is uncomfortable comes across simply as that, and is likely to find sympathy with the SA's who have surely seen this quite often. The man who happens to be a CD'er who displays a similar discomfort for whatever reason is likely to come across as creepy to the SA, especially if he is trying to find the guts to say he's shopping for himself or presents the "it's a gift" story with an utter lack of conviction.

JoAnne Wheeler
04-01-2009, 10:06 AM
I never look - I don't care - I'm there to buy what I want

JoAnne Wheeler

BrendaDaniel70
04-01-2009, 11:07 AM
For the shy girls like me, alot of stores have self-checkouts now. You don't even have to interact with another person if you don't want to. I've seen them at Target, Walmart, and the grocery store (last minute pantyhose stop). Of course online is easy too. But there is a great feeling of freedom in going to the store and buying something new.

Hmmm... how many times do you think the clerk has heard "it's for my..." They can prolly spot a sister a mile away by now!

twozillion
04-01-2009, 11:27 AM
Self checkouts are great, however I did have an issue with smaller items one time, eyeliner, etc. didnt want to register correctly for the wieght so it kept prompting me about it :) Got the attention of the attendant of the self-check stations, she gave me a dirty look. I was nervous but laughed it off on the way home :)

Sammy777
04-01-2009, 12:08 PM
Yes it is funny to see a fellow guy separated from the herd in unfamiliar territory, lol.

I want to go into wet seal and get some of those bright colored skinny jeans but I am too big of a wuss. Plus, I dont think they would have my size anyway

You can also get them in target and a few other stores.
In fact one store had brightly colored corduroy mens pants.