PDA

View Full Version : On a clear day ... I can see forever

Patricia1
04-01-2009, 09:47 AM
But not without my glasses. Poor eyesight has always been a part of my life, I'm actually legally blind in one eye. This does make for difficulties with CD-related activities, like putting on makeup or just walking/driving out & about. Contacts don't work for me. So I'm stuck with my everyday glasses, as you see below. My questions to you: what is your take on the way my glasses look on and off? What can I do to rectify the problem, if any, without buying female-appropriate eye wear? Can I "get away" with my current eyeglasses? What do you visually-challenged girls do when out & about for your eye wear?

Here's looking at you kid!

JoAnne Wheeler
04-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Patricia - I HAVE TO wear glasses every waking moment - I'm 20/400 w/o

my glasses - I returned to CDing last year after 10 years in a spouce

induced exile - one of the first things that I did was to purchase several

pairs of feminine glasses - I actually have about 8 pairs of feminine glasses

that I bought last year - I bought them at Lenscrafters (a National Chain).

I was treated with courtesy and dignity - and I purchased the frames at 4

different locations (just because they happened to be where I was shopping

at the time) - I then took them to my local Lenscrafters where I bought my

male frames to have the actual lens ordered and installed - again, I was

treated wonderfully - no questions - no snide remarks - the SAs actually

helped me and complimented me on my choices and I went in drab. I hope

that this helps and comforts you. I LOVE my female eyewear - and as I

said, I cannot see without them.

JoAnne Wheeler

Lorileah
04-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Vanity thy name is woman :) I know that Dorothy Parker said "Men don't make passes at women with glasses" but it is a fact that some of us can't see without them (yes me, all those pictures of me are from someone else posing me like a doll). I never tried contacts but my optometrist says I can wear them just have a thing about putting things in my eye (although eyeliner pencils seem to make it there since I can't see).

I bought glasses that are androgynous last time I went out. Good news, they are truly gender neutral. Bad news, I am old now and I am not as pretty as I was and I can see it.
Now I can't get my makeup right :( (I guess before I didn't care or just thought those looks were from admiration)

Your glasses look fine. Do look at frames that are gender neutral next time you go for new glasses OR here we have several dispensaries who either have a two for policy (one male and one female if you like) or buy on get one.

My social life used to be a Jimmy Buffet song "Your voice sounds so wonderful but your face don't look too clear." At least it didn't end up like a Bobby Bare song "I've never gone to bed with an ugly woman but I sure woke up with a few." Actually it was probably quite the opposite :)

Sweet Cindy
04-01-2009, 10:04 AM
I think your glasses look great on you, don't sweat it.
I love wearing mine. I feel it's one of the things that makes 'me', 'me'.

Phyliss
04-01-2009, 03:04 PM
An advantage to wearing glasses is that they kinda disguise some of the eye makeup errors.

Leslie Mary S
04-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Yes a more fem set of glasses might work but I smile will work even better. Most people are distracted by a beaming smile and will not notice glasses.

pamela_a
04-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Patricia, I know the feeling. Without my glasses I literally can barely see past my nose. My solution was a unisex frame for my glasses. The ones I just got I pushed them as "fem" as possible but they did come from the unisex selections (I sure hope nobody accidentally put them in the wrong place :heehee:)

I also agree that most people look past the glasses if you have a big smile on your face

-Paula-

SherylynJade
04-01-2009, 04:05 PM
Vanity thy name is woman :) I know that Dorothy Parker said "Men don't make passes at women with glasses".....
Obviously they never saw the Baroness from GI Joe

Karren H
04-01-2009, 04:22 PM
I'm not that blind so I can go out withoug mine but mine are pretty unisex so they do go both ways!! lol

Patricia1
04-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Thanks all for your comments.

As far as smiling, I don't have a cute, impish smile like Karren (look at that punim) and so I tend to try to look soulful instead, either that or I'm too damn lazy to smile

Teri Jean
04-01-2009, 06:16 PM
Pattie, I too wear glasses and the last time I ordered I went to a more neutral look and the next time I will be looking into something like Lori offered. There are a lot of places where you can purchase two for the price of one. Don't worry about the little things and as we get older the glasses will be the least of our worries. Have fun girl and smile and the world will smile with you. Huggs Keli

Lorileah
04-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Don't worry about the little things and as we get older the glasses will be the least of our worries. Have fun girl and smile and the world will smile with you. Huggs Keli

Oh NO! you mean my forms are going to drop?

Leslie Mary S
04-01-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks all for your comments.

As far as smiling, I don't have a cute, impish smile like Karren (look at that punim) and so I tend to try to look soulful instead, either that or I'm too damn lazy to smile

How about a photo of you doing your best relaxed smile so we can all see. I bet you really look stunning and glow. Sometimes we tend to misread ourselves and need someone else to make the judgment call.

docrobbysherry
04-01-2009, 07:54 PM
I've ALWAYS cursed my nearsightedness. That is, until I started CDing! :heehee:

Sherry always looks SO INCREDIBLY HOT, in my mirror.:D

Then, I see the pictures, and get "coyote arm"!:doh:

Victoria Anne
04-01-2009, 07:57 PM
I have always had exceptional eyesight until a few years ago and it seems my eye's in now in a race for blind. Not quit that bad but the point is androgyn glasses they are fine and you look good.

TSchapes
04-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Here's my everyday glasses that I wear. I made sure that they would work for both sides of my genders:

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm4/TracySchapes/Web_Crop_770.jpg

This saves on buying two pairs of glasses, plus trying to remember what you did with them!

-Tracy

Jannette H
04-01-2009, 08:48 PM
Not without my glasses I can't. I needed bi-focals as of 10 years ago but my lady glasses were of the drug store reader type. My SO decided I needed a nice pair of glasses for Jannette and I could pick out one of her Former frames. She always has very nice expensive frames and every so often gets new glasses and new frames. Now I have her Dior frames with my prescription in them and have a multicolored light tint in the lenses. They are great and classy looking. I got nice comments about my glasses. This was a wonderful gift from her :love:

Jannette H

CD Susan
04-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Patricia I have the same delema as you. I hate wearing glasses but I need to most of the time. My regular glasses are way too manly looking and I will not wear them when dressed and going out or when having my picture taken. I have a cheap pair of reading glasses that look feminine so I will wear them when out to get by. I can see things up close just fine with them but can't drive while wearing them. The next time I need to get new glasses I will definately get some more feminine looking frames. Better yet I am considering lasik eye surgery to eliminate glasses all together. Contacts are out of the question as I am sure I would not feel comfortable wearing them. The idea of having something foriegn stuck to my eyeballs makes me cringe.

Paula Siemen
04-02-2009, 08:37 AM
Your spectacles look fine.......NO, I didn't say testicals!!! Yes, I think your lasses have a very androgenous look..will look ok in eithe male/female modes. I too have had the same delema until an unfortunate turn of events.

I was laid off from my job (which I love and will likely not find a similar job till this financial mess gets cleaned up...if ever at all). One little benefit (if you can call it that) was that my flex plan was good till the end of the month. Having only paid into it since the beginning of the year 500 or so dollars, the balance of my plan allowed me to spend a full $2000. I rapidly got a new eye exam and then went to the Eye Masters at the mall. I purchased five pair of glasses. Regualr distance glasses, distance sunglasses, some reading glasses and oh yes, some stylish, regular and sunglasses for Paula. Still had money left over so got as many medical checkups as I needed and spent the rest, $230, at Walgreens on over the counter medications and supplies. I will never have to buy another band-aid the rest of my life!!!

Patricia1
04-02-2009, 09:59 AM
For those of you wanting me to crack a smile, how're my doing?