PDA

View Full Version : Gender insult from pizza guy(s)

Ze
04-03-2009, 07:20 AM
This is more of a rant than anything else.

Last night, like I always do every two weeks, I called up for pizzas at the local place for an organization thing on my campus. As I just said, I literally do this every two weeks and always order it from the same place to the same campus building. I could also swear that it was one of the usual guys that answered the phone, but all kidding aside, perhaps there really are more broken-English-speaking people working there than I think.

Anyway, I try to say I want a delivery for the certain building on campus and he keeps demanding a house number. We keep going in circles for a minute or two, me having issues understanding him because of his English and him misunderstanding me for whatever reason he isn't explaining.

All of a sudden, I can hear him loud and clear saying (he didn't even have the courtesy of covering up the mouthpiece): "Here! You take the damn phone! She doesn't know where she is, I don't know where she is, and she doesn't know what the hell she's talking about!"

A new guy, who spoke better English, came on the phone. The order thereafter took all of twenty seconds, but within that time, I could hear the first guy yell out: "Stupid women!"

It also didn't help that the second guy, after I immediately said I was just trying to order pizzas for the campus, responded in that talking-down-to-me-tone with: "Yes, but there are a lot of different buildings on the campus, sweetie."

1) Women are not stupid. (Just as much as men are not stupid.)
2) Don't assume I'm female. (I wasn't yesterday, at least.)
3) Don't assume it's my fault [I]because you assume I'm female.

I don't know, I just feel like somebody sucker-punched me in the stomach. And what the hell did I do to deserve that? Sexist, dichotomy-brainwashed little...

Alana65
04-03-2009, 07:36 AM
Take it from me hun, you're not stupid........far from it. :hugs:

C.J.
04-03-2009, 07:39 AM
Wow, sounds like a couple of arseholes. Sorry that happened to you, Ze. :hugs:

- C.J.

vikki2020
04-03-2009, 07:42 AM
I'd vote with my wallet, and order from somewhere else.

Ze
04-03-2009, 07:49 AM
Thanks, everyone. :hugs:

I'd vote with my wallet, and order from somewhere else.

I should have done that from the start, but decided against it because I was ordering for a school function on a cheap budget.

But, after I ranted to the rest of the school people, they all pretty much said they would have simply hung up on them. (For the record, they don't know or understand about the male/female gender insult, but the "women are stupid" thing.) So, next time we'll probably go somewhere else.

It's a shame because outside of this incident, the place has always been extremely nice. Either way, perhaps I should call up and make a polite complaint. If they lose my/the function's business after almost three years, I'd like them to know why.

Niya W
04-03-2009, 08:31 AM
I do tech support, and it amazing me when I see in the notes refuses to work with a women. Some people are wred to be jerks.

Noxvictum
04-03-2009, 09:09 AM
Some people are just stupid. I wish it were as easy to ignore them as it is to say it. If someone ever figures out how to achieve this, lemme know!

deja true
04-03-2009, 02:09 PM
I wouldn't bother calling to complain...You'll get the same ignorant brush off. (They are pizza guys after all!).

But I would go in there and talk to the manager or owner. That'll get the attention of the boss. So maybe you do sound like a girl on the phone, so what... but the female directed insults in your hearing are the reason for complaint.

If this is a business that does a lot of business on campus, you can make the point that unless there is a remedy to the problem of a rude and sexist imbecile answering the phone and insulting customers, the campus newspaper (and radio station) would probably like to hear about it.

At the very least, the rude creature will be banned from the phone. And at the very best, your org might get free pizza for the rest of the semester.

Stand up to surly cretins, especially if they're there to give you service and collect dollars from you.

Ze
04-03-2009, 02:24 PM
I wouldn't bother calling to complain...You'll get the same ignorant brush off. (They are pizza guys after all!).

But I would go in there and talk to the manager or owner. That'll get the attention of the boss. So maybe you do sound like a girl on the phone, so what... but the female directed insults in your hearing are the reason for complaint.

If this is a business that does a lot of business on campus, you can make the point that unless there is a remedy to the problem of a rude and sexist imbecile answering the phone and insulting customers, the campus newspaper (and radio station) would probably like to hear about it.

At the very least, the rude creature will be banned from the phone. And at the very best, your org might get free pizza for the rest of the semester.

Stand up to surly cretins, especially if they're there to give you service and collect dollars from you.

Excellent points. That's a much better way to go about it.

I usually don't have a problem with people assuming I'm female (especially over the phone), but it was definitely the sexism based on the assumption that got to me. It turned a non-existent whammy into a double.

trisha59
04-03-2009, 03:05 PM
A complaint should be filed about this employee, if he is still even working there. My guess with his attitude he is probably fired already. The first rule you learn in retail is never cuss out the customer when they can hear you. If it's a chain pizza place as most around campuses are you can take it even higher. You will probably get some free pizzas out of it.:heehee:

Ze
04-03-2009, 03:09 PM
We can only hope. :D

Unfortunately, it's one of those little mom-and-pop places, but I'm positive a large portion of their profits are from the campus, so it might actually work out for whatever benefit there may be. I'm sure the last thing they'd want is a local student starting a feminism-based ruckus.

Emma England
04-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Yes, he had an attitude.

But why did you not just say the building's name if that's what they want to know?

Ze
04-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Yes, he had an attitude.

But why did you not just say the building's name if that's what they want to know?

I did...multiple times...which is why I was angry about it to begin with...and why there was a problem at all.

Karen564
04-04-2009, 08:10 PM
Hey Ze,
I'm very sorry to here about that, know one should ever say those things, never mind have you hear it, that guy is a total moron jerk-wad..
He's the stupid one for answering the phone trying to take orders knowing he cant understand English in US in the 1st place,,,,No?? So who's the idiot..it certainly isn't you..

I dont know the pizza place you ordered from, and dont know who answered the phone, but it's possible you could of been talking to the owner, I knew an owner of a pizza place long ago that was a total jerk, btw, he was Greek, and felt he could talk to anyone anyway he felt, like he was better than everyone that walked in, I stopped going there after he tried that BS with me once, and I sure wasn't going back there to ever hear it again, the hell with him.. That was over 30 years ago, but guess what?, him & his son just made the news a while back, it appears his hothead self & son got arrested for assault with attempt to murder a cop that told his son to get his car out of the fire-lane in front of the pizza place, and the son gave the cop a rash of do-do about it & refused to move, so the cop started to write the ticket, then the father got involved and went after the cop with a knife...Just two stupid hotheads..the cop had every right to shoot him dead on the spot, but re-framed from doing that, so he's a hero in my book for handling the situation the way he did.
Anyways, How about this for an idea, why dont you make a sign you can post on campus describing what this place did to you and ask for your support to boycott this pizza place, and then bring it to the place and show them what your going to do, and see what they tell you then...That should give you some satisfaction...but I wouldn't recommend take anymore food from them though, free or not, because who knows what they would do to it, if you know what I mean.. I've seen too many shows on what these places do to good paying customers..

Ze
04-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Hey Ze,
I'm very sorry to here about that, know one should ever say those things, never mind have you hear it, that guy is a total moron jerk-wad..
He's the stupid one for answering the phone trying to take orders knowing he cant understand English in US in the 1st place,,,,No?? So who's the idiot..it certainly isn't you..

I dont know the pizza place you ordered from, and dont know who answered the phone, but it's possible you could of been talking to the owner, I knew an owner of a pizza place long ago that was a total jerk, btw, he was Greek, and felt he could talk to anyone anyway he felt, like he was better than everyone that walked in, I stopped going there after he tried that BS with me once, and I sure wasn't going back there to ever hear it again, the hell with him.. That was over 30 years ago, but guess what?, him & his son just made the news a while back, it appears his hothead self & son got arrested for assault with attempt to murder a cop that told his son to get his car out of the fire-lane in front of the pizza place, and the son gave the cop a rash of do-do about it & refused to move, so the cop started to write the ticket, then the father got involved and went after the cop with a knife...Just two stupid hotheads..the cop had every right to shoot him dead on the spot, but re-framed from doing that, so he's a hero in my book for handling the situation the way he did.
Anyways, How about this for an idea, why dont you make a sign you can post on campus describing what this place did to you and ask for your support to boycott this pizza place, and then bring it to the place and show them what your going to do, and see what they tell you then...That should give you some satisfaction...but I wouldn't recommend take anymore food from them though, free or not, because who knows what they would do to it, if you know what I mean.. I've seen too many shows on what these places do to good paying customers..

Yikes on that story!

Yeah, I would go as far as to boycott, but I'm going to confront them first and see how they react. If they shoo me away, I'll make a fuss. (I haven't done this yet because I haven't been back on campus.)

Thanks for the tips! Yeah, I'm a little leery about the things people do to food. I try not to think about it...

Siobhan Marie
04-05-2009, 10:15 AM
hey Ze, some people are just born ignorant. Just remember that you are an amazing guy with soo much to offer the world. People like delivery people really aren't worth wasting energy over. It hurt, I hear you saying, I hear you and understand that, I do.

TxKimberly
04-05-2009, 10:21 AM
Seems to me it's time to order Pizza from some where else. Some place where they respect and appreciate their customers . . .

Nicole Erin
04-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Hmm broken English, I would have said something snide about immigrants and hung up.

I know this isn't right but when someone cannot even get our language right, as far as I am concerned they do not matter.

ZenFrost
04-06-2009, 12:36 PM
I would complain, either via phone or through the internet (if they have a website/e-mail address) but that's just because I'm not the type to let stuff slide. If a business practices behaviors that negatively impact me, they're going to hear about it.

Flameboy
04-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Hmm broken English, I would have said something snide about immigrants and hung up.

I know this isn't right but when someone cannot even get our language right, as far as I am concerned they do not matter.
EXCUSE ME?

If someone can't speak (what you call) "proper English" they don't matter and it's acceptable to make racist comments towards them?

In that case, I hope you never come to the UK, as I doubt your version of English would be thought of as "proper" over here!

I also assume from your comment that you've never travelled to a country where English is not the main language - or if you have, you've ensured that you're word perfect in the native language before you visit. If you've never travelled abroad, maybe you should consider it - a bit of learning about other cultures just might help you to understand something about diversity!

sabo10
04-11-2009, 04:36 AM
*points to Flameboy* What he said.

Nicki B
04-11-2009, 06:33 AM
Sadly, if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys? A mom n' pop pizza operation isn't a huge career opportunity, is it? :sad:

But if you employ people who can't do their job and alienate the customers, you will lose your business - if you feel like helping them, speak to the owners?

Otherwise, find their competitors. :devil:

I thought almost the entire US population were originally immigrants.. :rolleyes:

kellycan27
04-11-2009, 09:35 AM
Like I would give a s**t what the pizza guy thinks. Just shut the f**k up and make sure my pizza is hot when you deliver it!

Christine St James
04-11-2009, 10:41 AM
Like I would give a s**t what the pizza guy thinks. Just shut the f**k up and make sure my pizza is hot when you deliver it!
So, from which place am I not ordering pizza anymore?

kellycan27
04-17-2009, 09:10 PM
So, from which place am I not ordering pizza anymore?

Duh!.. The place that you just told the pizza guy to shut the "F" up from.Or if you watch the videos on youtube....DOMINO'S. EWWWWWWWWWW :heehee:

trannie T
04-17-2009, 10:47 PM
Surely you gave him a generous tip, hope he enjoys that nickle.