PDA

View Full Version : How to walk in high heels

QZ2
04-03-2009, 11:46 AM
This link to youtube is a good tutor for learning the right way to walk in high heels. There are lots of others to look at as well but this is a good start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSSA_gXeJQw

May we all look better,

Susie

Cathey
04-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Thanks for that u tube video. I need the practice, that was a big help

SherylynJade
04-03-2009, 02:00 PM
too bad youtube doesn't work for me and the dial up too well.

Sam-antha
04-03-2009, 02:05 PM
It would be better if the demo practised - at the end - what it said.

The heel goes to ground first.

~Samm

inquisitiv
04-03-2009, 02:05 PM
I had posted a link to one of the best high heel sources I'd ever found a few weeks back. It is http://internetdump.com/users/jenny/wearing.htm

I learned a few tricks and found the exercises to help a lot.

JulieC
04-03-2009, 02:09 PM
It's funny, the instructor tells the student to land on the balls of her feet. If she lands on her toes, or heel first she'll be off balance. Yet, watching the instructor after that, the instructor is clearly hitting heel first, then balls of feet.

That's my experience too...heel a bit before balls of feet.

For years, my wife though you should land toes/balls of feet first. It looked all, all wrong. I told her as much and she practiced doing it with a bit of heel first, and now she's more comfortable and confident in heels.

inquisitiv
04-03-2009, 02:16 PM
That's my experience too...heel a bit before balls of feet.

That's pretty much the way it has to be. Unless heels are under a certain height, let's say 3 to 4", and you are trying to tiptoe not to make noise, it can be physically impossible to touch the ball of the foot down first. I certainly can not in the 5" heels in my avatar.

Karren H
04-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Decades of playing ice hockey helps too!! If I had a link to the Penguins trashing New Jersey I'd post it!! :). But I've never had a problem in heels.. Except going down stairs.. I've been known to take my shoes off and walk down the stairs then set on the steps and put the heels back on.. Get some startes from the other hotel guests!! Lol.

thegeneralpublic
04-03-2009, 03:29 PM
For some reason, I've never had issues walking in high heels. My female friends have been quick to mention that I'm better at it than they are. :D

JoAnne Wheeler
04-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Best way to walk in heels -> start with 1" heels - then work up to 2" heels -

then on up to three inch heels - and do the same for 4-5" heels - practice,

practice, practice - at some point you will realize your comfort level of heel

heights

JoAnne Wheeler

JulieC
04-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Best way to walk in heels -> start with 1" heels - then work up to 2" heels -

then on up to three inch heels - and do the same for 4-5" heels - practice,

practice, practice - at some point you will realize your comfort level of heel

heights

JoAnne Wheeler

When I started, I just started with 3" heels and haven't looked back.

Cathey
04-05-2009, 09:39 AM
too bad youtube doesn't work for me and the dial up too well.

The URL posted by inquisitiv should work for you on dial up Thanks for the post http://internetdump.com/users/jenny/wearing.htm

Nena
04-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Here is a link to a video made specifically for transwomen on this subject.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAKzFbV6y8E

Nena GG

Genifer Teal
04-05-2009, 12:05 PM
I can walk fine in very high heels of 5 - 6 inches. This is due in no small part (excuse the pun) to my large size 14 feet. Lower heels (1 - 3 inch) tend to be awkward for me to walk in. I am glad I started at the top, with the tallest heels I could stand up in.

I don't think gradually increasing the heel height is helpful. Since I walk differently in my highest heels it would not have made it any easier for me to learn by increasing heel height gradually. It just would have taken longer to get to the highest height I could master.

The balance of a shoe is also very important. Some shoes - no matter the heel height - just don't work for me. I recently bought a pair of Louboutain replicas, which you've probably seen. They are made by Highest Heel . These shoes have a 5 inch heel which is right in my heel height "comfort range". The heel height is perfect for me.

A uniqueness to the design of this style shoe is how the heel is pushed rearward - almost flush with the back of the shoe. This can be seen here in the side view. http://www.zappos.com/n/multi_view.cgi?product_id=7410252&color_id=1141&view=multi&ref=multi-link In the more common heel design, the heel curves further under the foot, which places the heel more in line with the ankle. The ankle is the pivot point of your foot. This makes the conventional heel design work better with how we naturally walk - albeit such high heels are not so natural. lol This small change makes walking in them a different experience and somewhat of a challenge for me. It takes me a lot more time to get used to walking in them than a shoe with a more conventional heel placement.

I point all this out to show an example of how such a seemingly small artistic change can make a shoe entirely different to walk in. Heel height and proper fit are very significant factors in determining a shoes wearablity. Style can also be a factor. Know that traditional shoe designs exist for a reason - because they work. Be cautious when choosing a unique shoe style. It may be more of a challenge to walk in than you bargained for.

Gen

Michelia
04-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Decades of playing ice hockey helps too!! If I had a link to the Penguins trashing New Jersey I'd post it!! :). But I've never had a problem in heels.. Except going down stairs.. I've been known to take my shoes off and walk down the stairs then set on the steps and put the heels back on.. Get some startes from the other hotel guests!! Lol.

Karren,

this is actually very good advice. I will have to try it. The other day I waited for the elevator for a long time and then ended up with six other guys in the elevator with me scared to where my little heart was thumping so hard it was probably heard around the elevator - just because I did not want to chance it going downstairs in heels.

Maybe I should go back and read all your thousands of posts picking out little info like this!

Karen__Starr
04-05-2009, 05:26 PM
I began wearing low heels because when first starting thats what was available to me back in my pre-teen years. Working your way up as Joanna suggested is a great way to get to the desired height. My first pair of 6 inch heels felt right at home after wearing them around the house for less than an hour. When learning to wear heels make sure to not wear them at first when driving as I had friends who almost had accidents. I do not wear heels when driving because a) at some point the back of a heel will get scuffed up no matter how careful you are b) I like to be comfortable so I have a pair of flat sole shoes for driving always in the car. Something else to consider is getting use to is walking up/down stairs besides simply walking on flat ground.

wishfulcd
04-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Walking in heels has never really been a problem for me....but try standing still for 30-40 minutes on a hard surface while having a conversation.

Veronica_CD
04-06-2009, 12:33 PM
http://www.beverlyheels.com/incEngine/sites/beverlyheels/products/ss2005/Seduce/Seduce-2000.jpghttp://www.beverlyheels.com/incEngine/sites/beverlyheels/products/ss2005/Seduce/Seduce-2000B.jpg

I just got me a pair of Pleaser Seduce 2000 today, in black, and must say I was amazed at how much easier it was to walk with knee high boots as opposed to pumps. Heel was only 0.5" lower, but the difference was huge. I have had only one pair of 5.5" heels that I have used for a while, and finally decided to add another pair.

suchacutie
04-06-2009, 01:55 PM
The website Cathey gave and the video from Nena really do cover it. In that video from Nena in the first few min it clearly shows the active lower body walking in heels. You feel right when each leg seems to act almost independently, and the whole leg is used in walking. It definitely works your butt hard and each step comes down remarkable lightly when all is said and done. Good video and good site!
BTW...heels help my back incredibly!!! no kidding!

tina

Midnight Skye
04-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Hey Veronica. I too just picked up a pair of N.Y.L.A. Women's Belize. And they are amazingly easy to walk in. I thought I'd have some trouble with heals, but it turned out to be really easy and natural. If you run semi-often and do some running on your toes only (usually when you do sprints) walking on heals becomes trivial.

http://content.nordstrom.com/ImageGallery/store/product/Gigantic/9/_5733629.jpg

Kate Lynn
04-06-2009, 06:37 PM
I have always had the knack to walk in heels,as far back as I can remember.
It just takes lots of practice,the highest I can wear are 4 inch,but 3 1/2 inch are the most comfortable.