PDA

View Full Version : Step One, Doctors Appointment

April Simmons
04-03-2009, 06:15 PM
Girls,

Had my appointment with my family doctor today in order to get a referral to the Gender Identity Clinic here in Toronto.

Drove from work at high speed through a driving rainstorm to make the appointment, just made it with a few minutes to spare.

My female doctor was very understanding and non judgmental, she will fax the referral today. She even mentioned she had done this for another girl. I was very nervous waiting to see her almost hyperventilating but the appointment went well and was over in a few minutes, you could have knocked me over with a feather once I left the office as I had been so keyed up going in. My wife even called me as I drove to the appointment to wish me luck, a great feeling.

Unfortunately the clinic has a six to seven month waiting list for consultations. I just don't know if I or my family can wait that long. It is a long time to wait for the next step. I live not far from the city so I can easily take any last minute cancellations, I will ask about this possibility as soon as I receive my appointment date. Apparently there are also some forms to fill in that the clinic will be sending me.

The doctor also offered to recommend a psychiatrist and or drugs to reduce my stress level if the situation is becoming too much to bear. Will keep you all informed of the next steps in the process...wherever it leads.

Hugs,

April

linnea
04-03-2009, 06:18 PM
This is very exciting, April. Good luck.

Patricia1
04-03-2009, 06:20 PM
Congratulations, this is a wonderful beginning. May it go this well throughout your journey.

Thalia
04-03-2009, 07:07 PM
April: Congratulations - you've taken the first step. How fortunate you are to have your family's support. I know we're all in your corner wishing you the best.

NancyTO
04-03-2009, 09:51 PM
A big step in a very long journey. I wish you well. :yippee:

"Mary"
04-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Good luck April

JoAnne Wheeler
04-04-2009, 10:57 AM
An understanding spouse and an understanding female doctor - WOW - try

to get a referral somewhere else that might be able to see you sooner - A

more intriguing question is the fact that there is a 6 to 7 month waiting list -

What does this indicate ????

JoAnne Wheeler

Lisa Golightly
04-04-2009, 11:05 AM
more intriguing question is the fact that there is a 6 to 7 month waiting list -What does this indicate ????

There's a lack of money and resources in the system when it comes to us...

Congratulations April, for many you just cleared the biggest of the many hurdles... Best wishes and good luck for the fututre :)