PDA

View Full Version : Changing your name - The Australian Way

Suzy Harrison
04-08-2009, 04:08 AM
Today came the momentous occasion where I officially changed my name.

One of the good things about living in Australia is that most things are easy to do and most people are friendly and very helpful. A good example is changing your name to a female one.

I had already filled out the form which I down-loaded over the net. Normally you would post the application form and documents to the government department, but I had read you can take it in personally and get it all done the same day.

So I phoned ahead and asked if I needed to make an appointment. The friendly person who answered my call cheerfully said:

"Nah mate, bring ya stuff in and we'll run about like chooks and get it done for ya!"

Aussie to US Directory:
Stuff = Application form and documents
Chooks = Chickens

At 2:10pm I arrived in the office, I went straight to the reception desk and told them I wanted to change my name. Immediately I was taken to an interview room. One minute later an official came in and we briefly chatted and I mentioned (for the first time) that this might prove to be difficult as I was changing my name to a female one. "No problem at all" was the answer. I handed over my documents and she went away to photo copy them.

Minutes later she was back in the room, handed back my original documents and took me over to the cashiers desk. Once paid I was told if I came back in an hour everything will be ready for me. I walked out of the office exactly 10 minutes after first going in !

An hour later I was back. I told them my name and she handed over my Certificate of Change of Name. I was back out again in one minute. So the whole process took eleven minutes !

Now I have the certificate I can start changing my name with the banks and driving Licence etc - so easy !

:hugs: Siuzy

Leasa Wells
04-08-2009, 05:09 AM
Congradulations, I always new you folks down under had things figuared out better then us yanks.

Jan W
04-08-2009, 05:26 AM
Congratulations SUZY!!!!!!!!

Joan Merrie
04-08-2009, 05:41 AM
I wish it was that easy here. Have to fill out the form, post a note in legal section in the paper,for 4 weeks, then go for a hearing before a judge. I have read stories about here in Georgia if you get the wrong judge, they wont allow the change, then you have to start all over.
What I'm trying to say is, Lucky Girl.:hugs:

deja true
04-08-2009, 05:43 AM
Congratulations, Suzy, for coming from a such a sensible place.

I'm thinking that having those documents with a big "F" on 'em and your right name will be just as important to you as the first prescriptions your doctor wrote.

Way cool, hunny!

GypsyKaren
04-08-2009, 06:56 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen and Chooks, I give you Suzy Harrison!!:cheer:

Karen :g4:

Alana65
04-08-2009, 07:23 AM
Congrats, Suzy !!! :hugs: :yahoo:

tamarav
04-08-2009, 07:46 AM
Yeah suzy!

One more step toward sanity.

Congratulations on your legal name.

Tami

SirTrey
04-08-2009, 07:58 AM
Congratulations on your name change, Suzy....I know I was very excited when I changed mine and I know you must be, as well....It does feel good to finally have a name that suits you and feels right....Enjoy! :hugs: **Trey**

TxKimberly
04-08-2009, 08:01 AM
Way to go! I KNEW there was a reason I liked Australia! lol

Sharon
04-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Gads, I wish it was that simple here.

Congratulations, Suzy! :hugs:

MJ
04-08-2009, 10:35 AM
congratulations Suzy Harrison :love:

Carole Cross
04-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Congrats Suzy. :love:

Diane24
04-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Congratulations, Suzy!
I certainly spent a lot more time and effort changing my name! (I won't go into the nasty remarks made by the New York City clerks!!!)
If only I had known, it would have been worth the trip to Oz!
Love,
Diane

Carole
04-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Come on then tell us all what you changed it to!!! Teehee!!!

robyn1114
04-08-2009, 10:07 PM
That's awesome Suzy

Sally2005
04-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Good going! I like the Austrailian attitude of just do it. Here in Canada anything dealing with the government is a pain, takes a long time and usually involves a lot of duplication.

DanielMacBride
04-09-2009, 12:07 AM
Congratulations Suzy!! :D It's an awesome feeling isn't it? If only changing our gender markers was as easy as changing names, we'd be set! ;)

:drink: :hugs:

Sheila
04-09-2009, 01:42 AM
Congratulations Suzy :drink:

Sarah...
04-09-2009, 04:46 AM
That's great Suzy! I've checked what I need to do here in Blighty and it seems relatively simple too. I'm looking forward to that day :)

Sarah...

Suzy Harrison
04-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Come on then tell us all what you changed it to!!! Teehee!!!

Hilda Ogden (inspired by vintage Coronation Street) - I was thinking about 'Ena Sharples' but decided against it!

Carole
04-09-2009, 09:43 AM
HaHa Suzy - nice one hun! As we've only known you as Suzy I just had to ask, thanks for that................

:D

Leanne2
04-12-2009, 05:44 AM
Good for you Suzy! I was lucky enough to have been named Lee when I was born. That unisex name is OK but I go by Leanne when en fem because there are no boys with that name. There is something special about having a feminine name. Enjoy yours! Leanne

Kimberly Marie Kelly
04-12-2009, 08:27 AM
You are official now..But to all of us you were always Suzy. :battingeyelashes:

~Kelly~
04-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Congratulations! That is a huge step!

Now if only we could have the US system work that fast......I turned in my paperwork at the beginning of October and finally had my court hearing and hence my name change on December 23. :eek:

Now I just have to work on changing my species designators to "chook"

clerk - "I'm sorry you want to what?"
me - "I would like to change my species please. I am a trans-chook, you see."
clerk - "I'm sorry but we seem to be out of that form."

Karen564
04-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Congrats Suzy..:)

Unfortunately, just as everyone said, there's a bit more red tape & hoops to jump through here in the States to change our name..

Suzy Harrison
04-26-2009, 09:16 AM
Yesterday I took my new certificate along to change the name on my "Medicare Card" - no problems at all.

The card is used over here to get reduced cost medications and rebates on doctor appointments.

akaCathy
04-27-2009, 06:08 AM
HUZZAH! Congratulations, Suzy.

Hugs,

Cathy

Sejd
05-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Good on you Maid!
I'm heading for Australia tomorrow with my sweet partner and wife of 30 years to see our granddaughter. Have been there before when son and daughter in law was married. I just love Australia.
:tongueout
Sejd

Empress Lainie
05-01-2009, 04:48 AM
Good for you Suzy. I filed at the end of November in Las Vegas and got the court order on January 9, 2008. It took several months to get everything changed to my new female name, but the biggest thrill was getting to see F on my driver's license, I am lucky, few were able to get it.

I have had several of the new people in my tg group ask if I had already had my SRS. (Don't I wish!) Feared that I will be always non-op and
M.A.D. (Male at Death!)