PDA

View Full Version : Can you clean dry clean clothes by hand?

Jesse69
06-28-2005, 12:03 PM
Can you clean dry clean clothes by hand just by soaking them in a tub of detergent and water? Or are dry clean clothes strictly clean by dry cleaning?

Has anyone tried cleaning their dry clean clothes by hand in the the washing machine and did the clothes turn out ok?

I have a lot of dry clean womens clothes, and I'd be embarassed to bring them to the cleaners! They'd definitely know they're for me!

Also, what is the dry cleaning process - what do they do?

Bunny "GG"
06-28-2005, 12:14 PM
Ok, I'll tackle this one...Dry cleaning clothing should go to the dry cleaners..Let me explain, dry cleaning usually falls into two catergories, not to get wet, or not to tumble...ie. examples:
Wet: causes fabrics to run or lose dyes, or the water will stain the fabric.
Tumble: usually has straps that will tangle, glitter/sequenes that will fall or rip off.
Dry cleaning is a high power, special cooling chemical bath or hot steaming process that doesn't dampen the fabric...It's hard to explain..but I think you get the idea...
If it is delicates, they will usually say handwash, then a soak and rinse is permissable...
Hope this helps, Bunny GG :bunny:

Imogen_Mann
06-28-2005, 12:15 PM
I used to wear a corporate uniform for work, and it was ( typically ) DCO. I used to wash it carefully on the lowest temp synthetics wash, and then air dry it (never tumble dryed it) and it seemed to be OK.

I have hand washed lots of Dry clean only garments in the past, and they came out fine. I used the gentlest detergent I could get. At the moment I use Dreft Handwash Non Bio powder for delecates I dont trust to the machine, and touch wood... no problems so far.

Maybe the internet can give you a clue as to the vulnerability of materials (the actual material, not the garments) to water or detergents ? I really dont know.

Best advise... test it on a small area first to check for discolouration, shrinkage stretching etc. If in doubt, why not go out of your local area, and hand your clothes into a professional service for dry cleaning, then collect later. I really do honestly think they dont care whose the clothes are, they just want to make your money vanish from your wallet then appear in thier bank roll with the minimum of fuss.

XX

Jayme.

Emily Ann Brown
06-28-2005, 12:17 PM
Go to the grocery store and look for...I think it's called Dryell....in the cleaning stuff section. Wife uses it all the time. Read the instructions before you just "wash" stuff.

Emily Ann

Imogen_Mann
06-28-2005, 12:18 PM
Be very carefull with sequins ! Some are OK in water or chemicals, some not so. I had a bag that got rained on, and they turned into a gummy mess :mad:

XX

Jayme

Jesse69
06-28-2005, 07:31 PM
I have no sequins and I don't like sequins. I love career suits and I have about 14 of them. Other dry clean stuff like dresses and skirts too.

I guess I will test things out on a dry clean skirt to see how things turn out. I would hate to ruin my suits, especially my $205 Causal Corner 3 piece suit. Would be really embarassing for me to go to the cleaners with all of my clothes, that's why I don't wear my clothes too long to get them smelly or dirty. And I don't wear them while I'm dirty.

Robertacd
06-28-2005, 07:42 PM
My wife does in all the time. Delicate cycle, cold water and hang to dry.

Personaly I buy wash and wear items.

PattiL
07-12-2005, 11:38 AM
I wouldn't worry about the cleaners at all. I happen to be the one who takes both my wife's and my things all the time. They handle so many different clothes, I don't think they would notice. Even if they do, you can always say that it's for your wife. The only comment that I've ever gotten is "your wife has nice taste in clothes". If you're worried, take one or two outfits along with some of your male clothes.

Wendy me
07-12-2005, 11:49 AM
bring them in to thr dry cleaners thay don't care what's the worst thay can do starch your pantys????

Jonien
07-12-2005, 11:54 AM
I had a free sample of a product Svit made by Henkel Waschmittel GmbH
that you can put in your tumble dryer to dry clean
not tryed it yet

Sharon
07-12-2005, 03:05 PM
For my knit items that specify "dry cleaning," I've been satisfied putting the clothing in the washing machine on the "Knit and Fine Fabric" setting (very gentle), using a little less detergent than I normally use. On my silks, I clean them by hand in the sink using Woolite. Again -- I've had good luck.
I think the secret is to use a mild detergent, and less of it.
And I always lay the items out to dry on a towel, never using the dryer.

jo_ann
07-12-2005, 07:50 PM
dry cleaning means no water.. I forget the chemical, but it aint water. I have a microfiber couch and if I try using water it leaves a big stain where it was wet. Dryell technically has water in it too (not sure how they claim dry clean with water?)

AmyCarter
07-12-2005, 09:29 PM
It depends what kind of washing machine you have. I got lucky when I found an Asko. It's a frontloading uses only the cold water line (heats up the water itself if necessary) and has two simple knobs; one for speed of spin cycle, 0-1200 and one for duration of wash. I use woollite and i've never had any problems with washing my dry clean only items.