PDA

View Full Version : dressing vs. dressing up

cindycd
04-10-2009, 10:34 PM
I like to dress in women's clothing. I have been doing this since I was six, so that make's that numerical figure a little larger than I thought of my present age. Anyway my question is, is there a difference between dressing in women's clothing and dressing up like a women?

AllieSF
04-10-2009, 10:46 PM
They sound the same to me. Can you say that in different words maybe?

Gabrielle Hermosa
04-10-2009, 10:47 PM
I think the difference is in the definition of those two phrases.

Dressing in women's clothes = simply putting on female clothing, no makeup, not trying to look or act feminine, just wearing the clothes (just a man in a dress)

Dressing up like a woman = trying to emulate the appearance of a woman from the clothes to makeup and physical appearance as much as possible (a man who might actually look like a woman or close there to)

That's how I understood those two statements. The difference is clear.

Is that what you meant?

They both fall into the cd category, but the motives or perhaps goals are different. I fall in to the latter.

Intertwined
04-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Sure there is, I like to dress in women's clothing, but, I do not try to look like a female, I just like certain things that are considered feminine. The real question is, if they made men's clothing, a little softer, a little lacier and more colorful, would I still be a CD?
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=9987&albumid=927&dl=1232602284&thumb=1 http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=9860&albumid=927&dl=1232403938&thumb=1 http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=9649&albumid=927&dl=1232199706&thumb=1

Christina Horton
04-10-2009, 11:55 PM
Sure there is, I like to dress in women's clothing, but, I do not try to look like a female, I just like certain things that are considered feminine. The real question is, if they made men's clothing, a little softer, a little lacier and more colorful, would I still be a CD?
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=9987&albumid=927&dl=1232602284&thumb=1 http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=9860&albumid=927&dl=1232403938&thumb=1 http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=9649&albumid=927&dl=1232199706&thumb=1

I think your the bravest one of all of us cuz you do some thing most of us would not do. I applaud you Intertwined . And yes the Cd's the two you stated are different.I go out dressed as a woman and want people to treat me as a women. If I just dressed in a skirt heal etc, I would be treated as a man. SO we are different but like seated above still in the CD family.

HUGGS :hugs: :canada:

joann07
04-10-2009, 11:58 PM
I would think so.
Dressing in women's clothes sounds just how you say it. When I think of those words, basically, I just picture a man in a dress.

On the other hand, when I think of "dressing up like a woman" I picture someone who dolls up to the nines and who conducts and presents herself appropriately as a woman.

That just how I see it.

Hugs!

Marissa
04-11-2009, 12:03 AM
Nicely put on the replies, all seem to have the idea right..if that is what the questions are asking..

Kate Simmons
04-11-2009, 05:57 AM
Depends on one's viewpoint really.:)

Nicki B
04-11-2009, 06:22 AM
When I 'dress up', it's for a special occasion? :strugglin

Sounds like different uses of language, to me - perhaps the OP might say what her definitions are?

Linda Z
04-11-2009, 06:46 AM
[QUOTE=Intertwined;1681241]Sure there is, I like to dress in women's clothing, but, I do not try to look like a female, I just like certain things that are considered feminine. The real question is, if they made men's clothing, a little softer, a little lacier and more colorful, would I still be a CD?
[QUOTE]

I with you, maybe a little softer.
I am me in a skirt. I do not try to look like a female.
I like dressing in things that are feminine.

LadyMirabai
04-11-2009, 06:47 AM
I think the difference is in the definition of those two phrases.

Dressing in women's clothes = simply putting on female clothing, no makeup, not trying to look or act feminine, just wearing the clothes (just a man in a dress)

Dressing up like a woman = trying to emulate the appearance of a woman from the clothes to makeup and physical appearance as much as possible (a man who might actually look like a woman or close there to)

That's how I understood those two statements. The difference is clear.

Is that what you meant?

They both fall into the cd category, but the motives or perhaps goals are different. I fall in to the latter.

That's how I interpret it as well.

JoAnne Wheeler
04-11-2009, 07:31 AM
I think it is the degree. Partially dressing versus complete dressing

JoAnne Wheeler

Teri Jean
04-11-2009, 02:21 PM
I like Gabrielle's response as there are two or more ways to look at CDing. I personally like the latter, dressing to look like a woman. To each ther own.

Keli

Taylermade
04-11-2009, 02:27 PM
To me there is a difference.

Dressing up - is simply trying on women's clothes.

Dressing like a woman - is making oneself to appear to be a woman.

Maybe I am wrong on how I view it, but I believe they are totally different.

Patricia1
04-11-2009, 02:31 PM
The longer I am at this the emphasis is less on the destination than it is on the getting there. The long & short of it is, I enjoying being feminine so I dress to be that & the clothing amounts to an accessory after the fact. I feel womanly so I dress to express that reality, not to hide anything else.

GaleWarning
04-11-2009, 03:02 PM
My understanding, as a linguist, is the same as Taylermade's.

It probably stems from the "dress up" box in kindergartens. :)

But the beauty of the English language lies in it's subtleties and nuances of meaning, which allows for other interpretations to be equally valid.

PS - If dressing up means putting on women's clothes, does dolling up mean going the whole hog - make up, wig etc?

Sharon B.
04-11-2009, 03:18 PM
When I dress I like to look like a woman and to present myself as one.

Marilynn
04-11-2009, 03:28 PM
I wouldn't wear women's clothes unless I was getting "dolled up." I consider myself more along the lines of an actor who goes to wardrobe and makeup to prepare for a role. The role just happens to be a woman. Well, a somewhat naughty woman. :D

Karren H
04-11-2009, 04:13 PM
I used to just dress in womens clothing but then I discovered MAKEUP!!! Crossdressing hasn't been the same since!!

Tina Dixon
04-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Right now I'm all dressed up you know the works, but there are times when a jean skirt and t-shirt and no make up feeds the need.

Joanne f
04-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Its just playing about with words , it`s what it means to you that is important

Ruth
04-11-2009, 04:38 PM
I understand what the OP is trying to get at. I CD to express externally the feminine persona within. So I don't feel dressed unless I am head-to-toe female, have a wig on and just a little make-up (maybe only lipstick if I am "dressing-down"). I generally wear perfume when dressed also.
Just pulling on a dress, or underdressing, is "wearing women's clothes" but doesn't achieve anything as far as I am concerned.

tricia_uktv
04-11-2009, 06:22 PM
Saturday daytime I'll dress, maybe in jeans and a t-shirt, if its hot maybe a mini-skirt. Saturday night I'll dress-up, more make-up, special outfit, maybe stockings and suspenders, more jewelry. Aren't I just like any other girl?

shesadvl
04-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Its just playing about with words , it`s what it means to you that is important

:devil:... well said joanne im cracking up here and clayfish is reading over my shoulder, I have read the thread, and see everyone has different thoughts and Ideas on how one sees themselves... is it also dependant on what one sees in the mirror when they look...and to what they see back....
is it (The girl in the mirror , isn't the same as the girl i would like to be)

clayfish tells me hes not trying to look like a woman.... just lerves wearing womans clothing,because of the feeling of certain fabrics....
but as he say "quote..

clayfish My understanding, as a linguist, is the same as Taylermade's.

It probably stems from the "dress up" box in kindergartens. :)

But the beauty of the English language lies in it's subtleties and nuances of meaning, which allows for other interpretations to be equally valid. "

sissystephanie
04-12-2009, 12:34 AM
I am definitely with Intertwined. Since my dear wife passed away, leaving me without her makeup skills, I just dress in feminine clothing and go out as a man in a skirt! I don't dress to be a woman! I dress because I like to look that way!

Angie G
04-12-2009, 07:42 AM
Dressing up costs more.:hugs:
Angie

sherib
04-12-2009, 09:35 AM
I love getting dressed but most of the time I can't get dressed up. To me that means make up, wig and stockings. I settle for getting dressed.

curse within
04-12-2009, 09:41 AM
I like to dress in women's clothing. I have been doing this since I was six, so that make's that numerical figure a little larger than I thought of my present age. Anyway my question is, is there a difference between dressing in women's clothing and dressing up like a women? Sounds like progression, start out wearing a few things to mocking your goal..

TGMarla
04-12-2009, 10:24 AM
When I dress, I dress to look like and "be" a woman. And I don't much go in for casual clothing. I like to wear dresses and skirts, and "dress-up" clothes.

So when I'm dressing, I'm dressing up. And I'm not just wearing women's clothes, I'm wearing makeup, a wig, and boobies, too.

cdterri
04-12-2009, 10:27 AM
For yrs I believed I wanted to be a woman. I even lived the life for 2ys. At some point I realized I just liked to wear the clothes. I may just be a man in a dress but when I look in the mirror I like what I see. Sometimes I have to try on several outfits before I find the one that makes Me feel good, but isn't that the same thing We all do anyway?

Nicki B
04-12-2009, 10:38 AM
I am definitely with Intertwined. Since my dear wife passed away, leaving me without her makeup skills, I just dress in feminine clothing and go out as a man in a skirt! I don't dress to be a woman! I dress because I like to look that way!

If your wife was still around, would you get made up and complete the transformation, though? If not - why did you feel the need before? :strugglin

Dressing up costs more.:hugs:
Angie

That should have been the end of the thread... :roflmao:

It says it all.

boardpuppy
04-12-2009, 03:52 PM
when I dress up, it's to "look" and be treated as a women. I underdress 24/7 and wear make up most days but know without the attidude I know I'm not a woman. There it is that is the difference between the two statements, its the attitude and only the attitude of the individual.

Hugs,
Alice

sissystephanie
04-12-2009, 04:15 PM
[QUOTE=Nicki B;1683062]If your wife was still around, would you get made up and complete the transformation, though? If not - why did you feel the need before? :strugglin

Nicki B,

I did it before because my dear wife liked to see me that way! She wanted me to be her man, but loved to see me dressed like Stephanie. That was especially true after our children grew up and left home. Although I had to wear drab during the day, due to my occupation, at home I was almost always Stephanie. I enjoyed it and so did she.

My own fault that I never paid enough attention when she did my makeup! We did go out as two girls, but not to get dates or anything like that. We were very happy together, whether I was Stephanie or my male persona!

So yes, if she were still around I certainly would be very much Stephanie whenever she desired. I can only wish that would happen!!:daydreaming:

Greymancd
04-12-2009, 04:37 PM
I like to get dressed up not just to wear the clothes but sometimes I do that when I cannot get dressed up. The true desire in me though is not just to wear the clothes but to look and feel like a woman. I believe there is a difference there.

Tammy298
04-12-2009, 04:42 PM
Most of the time my "dressing" is either underdressing with garter belt & stocking (although I'm 24/7 in panties!), or wearing the garter belt, stocking & nightgown to bed.
I rarely dress beyond that and have never tried make-up. I've been thinking about talking to my wife about a wig and some makeup, but not sure how to approach my additional interests. My B-day is coming up so maybe I could send her some eBay gift ideas for a wig. Anyone out there have any wig or breast form experiences on eBay?:o