PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy & ride a womens bike?

KateSpade83
04-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Would you buy & ride a womens bike?

I'm thinking of getting one so I can bike with a skirt suit on to go to Downtown Chicago or Michigan Ave. Or maybe I'll look like an idiot! I need the kind of bike that has a low top tube for skirt clearances. Anyone know of any good bikes?

Or maybe I should just ride my Trek Pilot 2.1 SPA!

Greymancd
04-12-2009, 11:15 PM
I bought a ladies bike at a garage sale and i rode it as a man to work. Someone metioned to me once it was a womans bike all I said was yep and rode on. They are easier to get on and off of regardless of what you are wearing LOL!

Persephone
04-12-2009, 11:35 PM

Yep! I already have three of them! But I really want one in bright pink.

My all-male serious-bike-riding buddy saw my bikes in the garage last week and said, "You really need a new bike. Those are junk, and besides, they're women's bikes."

I said, "You know, I've always wondered about that. After all, if you're going to fall forward, do you really want the family jewels smacking into that bar?"

He thought about it, probably about how it has happened to him more than once, and said, "You know, I never thought about that. But you're right, it makes sense."

So, yeah, I plan to buy a woman's bike fer sure!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/sandylewiscares/BicycleWomanSkirt.jpgThere is one thing I do wonder about though. When you're riding in a skirt, how do you keep the wind from blowing your skirt up?

jasmine87xoxo
04-13-2009, 12:03 AM
A properly fitted sized frame will always fit better than a generic 'womens specific' generic frame. The problem is the style of frame you are thinking of is not sized, its just a set top tube length and seat tube height so it will never be as comfortable to ride and could cause you pain if you try to ride it very long. Therefore, no I would not ever get a womens bike. Also a high quality womens frame still have the same style top tube just different length and some different angles. The other option you could look into is a compact frame style road bike it will have a sloped top tube instead of a conventional horizontal top tube.

Deborah Jane
04-13-2009, 01:31 AM
I,ve ridden several women bikes ;)

Samantha Kelsey
04-13-2009, 01:46 AM
If I wanted a bike then yes I would buy a ladies bike, I'd buy a pink one to match my pink trainers leggings and top.

Shikyo
04-13-2009, 02:27 AM
I'd gotten the chance to as my mom offer to give hers to me for my working trip in the mornings. However I could not accepted it as the mornings were already cold and icy, it would have been too dangerous to drive around with that bike in the mornings when it was dark and one could barely see where one was going already on foot.

flatlander_48
04-13-2009, 05:55 AM

I'm thinking of getting one so I can bike with a skirt suit on to go to Downtown Chicago or Michigan Ave. Or maybe I'll look like an idiot! I need the kind of bike that has a low Toptube for skirt clearances. Anyone know of any good bikes?

Many women that ride wouldn't be caught dead on a women's bike. However, look at it this way: a traditional triangulated frame would give you an excuse to go shop for a skort...

Karren H
04-13-2009, 06:00 AM
We have a couple at home so I just use on of those when I want to go riding enfemme...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2249/2432742808_ce38d66c03.jpg

Teresa Macaw
04-13-2009, 06:17 AM
I have a men's but would ride a ladies anytime. Now a days it makes no difference. I ride mine several times a week at dusk en femme. Good luck. Wal-Mart has some cheap fairly good ones.

Sharon B.
04-13-2009, 06:39 AM
One thing about the woman's bike, if for some reason your foot slipped off of the pedal, you won't have that bar there to cause discomfort.

Sara Jessica
04-13-2009, 07:11 AM
We have a couple at home so I just use on of those when I want to go riding enfemme...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2249/2432742808_ce38d66c03.jpg

OK Karren, you just look like the ultimate soccer mom. Absolutely convincing, one of your best pictures in my opinion!!!

I'm thinking of getting one so I can bike with a skirt suit on to go to Downtown Chicago or Michigan Ave. Or maybe I'll look like an idiot! I need the kind of bike that has a low headtube for skirt clearances. Anyone know of any good bikes?

There's been much debate about dressing it up at all costs versus being more casual but this proposal has to take the cake. I can think of no good reason to want to bike in a skirt suit. If transportation other than a car is required to get around, I'd suggest taking a bus.

BLUE ORCHID
04-13-2009, 07:25 AM

I'm thinking of getting one so I can bike with a skirt suit on to go to Downtown Chicago or Michigan Ave. Or maybe I'll look like an idiot! I need the kind of bike that has a low headtube for skirt clearances. Anyone know of any good bikes?

I have two bikes one womens & one mens I ride the womens most
of the time. When we go camping thats the one I take on the
back of the motorhome.
.................................................. ...........thanks...........ORCHID

Kate Simmons
04-13-2009, 07:59 AM
I guess if one wants to perpetuate the binary gender myth of society. I can't think of any other reason really. It's about as pointless a riding a horse with a side saddle in my opinion. It never did make any sense to me anyway why the boy's bike had the crossbar, since boys have the family "jewels". I think the curved bar was maybe because girls wore dresses which is mostly moot nowadays.:battingeyelashes::)

Tina Dixon
04-13-2009, 08:26 AM
If your going to ride as a girl then get a girls bike, heck all bikes should be made the same any ways, I have smacked my n**s on that bar many times!

Samantha B L
04-13-2009, 08:59 AM
My bicycle license says "sissy" on it. I've owned and rode three girls bikes over the years

kimmy p
04-13-2009, 09:25 AM
I have a men's but would ride a ladies anytime. Now a days it makes no difference. I ride mine several times a week at dusk en femme. Good luck. Wal-Mart has some cheap fairly good ones.

Bite your tongue! Wally worlds best bikes are not equal to the least of a decent bike shop's bikes. listen "If" you are serious about riding then the 2 things that you want are quality and fit. A woman's specific bike is designed with an eye towards the difference between a woman's body dimensions and a male's body dimensions. Go talk to a reputable local bike shop, you wont be sorry.

Karren H
04-13-2009, 09:35 AM
One thing about the woman's bike, if for some reason your foot slipped off of the pedal, you won't have that bar there to cause discomfort.

Actually talking of discomfort... Try riding a long distance tucked!! Really uncomfortable!! Need one of those big silicone seat covers!! Lol.

Niya W
04-13-2009, 09:49 AM
My first bike was an old school schwin bike. Second bike was an BMX torcher master. It had that hard plastic seat. Every once in while when you hit a bump, the seat would angle up.

Karen Francis
04-13-2009, 09:56 AM
I don't think anyone had riden a bike in a skirt since Schwinn stopped making bicycles in Chicago, which would have been around 1960.

Do you have a parasol to go with the outfit?

Just kidding...

Shikyo
04-13-2009, 02:44 PM
Actually talking of discomfort... Try riding a long distance tucked!! Really uncomfortable!! Need one of those big silicone seat covers!! Lol.

How long's a long distance? I've been delivering mail with a bicycle for the past year with it being tucked away without a problem, in fact it feels better than without. Maybe I'm just strange that could also be it.

Sarah...
04-13-2009, 02:50 PM
I ride a Whyte 46. So as I'm riding it that means it's a girl's bike.

Sarah...

pink femme
04-13-2009, 02:57 PM
What a wonderful idea :daydreaming:

Riding a bike through the countryside with the sun shining....pretty summer skirt with pink pumps and a pink t-shirt......hair blowing in the wind.

I'd have to stop every so often just to show I can be dainty and get off and on in o such a feminine way.:heehee:

That's a winner with me.....:battingeyelashes:

Ruth
04-13-2009, 03:06 PM
Gender distinctions in bicycles have become blurred in recent years. Some of them, gee whiz, you can't tell for sure if they're male or female.
I worry though, leaving male and female bikes together, what they might get up to.
In a few months time you might hear the patter of tiny spokes.

TJ Tresa
04-13-2009, 03:14 PM

I understand, I tucked under my male clothes once and rode my motorcycle sixty miles and thought the darn thing was going to break off. Wished it would for a few miles LOL
:2c:

ChanDelle
04-13-2009, 05:23 PM
I ride my wife's bike occasionally in drab as I don't have one without a big motor. I have often wondered just why they put that ominous bar on boy's bikes (Yikes!!!!!!!!!).

ChanDelle

Nicole Erin
04-13-2009, 05:51 PM
the only real difference between a male and female bike is that one top frame bar.

And me, my fat butt is in no shape to be on a bike anyways.

One thing though, check out craigslist for used bikes.
Rule of thumb for buying used exercise equipment - it is probably not used, it just sat in the garage for years. Someone probably rode it around the block one time and never touched it again.

RWillow
04-13-2009, 05:56 PM
All of the Amish GG's around here ride 'girls' bikes, while all the English GG's ride the regular straight top tube bikes. With the exception of the Amish I haven't seen GG riding with a skirt, they all wear bike shorts. As Karen said, you can't ride very far tucked anyway.

Renyta

Deborah Jane
04-13-2009, 06:04 PM
How about driving a womans car instead?

I regularly drive womens cars!!

Teri Jean
04-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Check the yard sales if it is just for an occasional outing or wear some sexy shorts and top. I have both in my garage and should get them out and serviced for summer.

Keli

kimmy p
04-13-2009, 06:22 PM

The ONLY time I ever caught the boys when riding was on a ladies bike. I had to grab the brakes and went straight forward into the bar that rises on a ladies bike.

Christina Horton
04-13-2009, 06:49 PM
when I was young I had a girls bike with monkey bars and a flower banana seat. I loved it. Had it from age 8 to 15 when I rode it right into a huge snow ball on the side of the road. I did for fun stunt man thing. But when I jumped off I bent the forks and dad told my it was now trash. I cryed when he through it away but oh well I got to get a 12 speed so it was ok. I would love to ride a bike dressed but would water proff makeup.

trannie T
04-13-2009, 08:36 PM
I read in a bicycle magazine some years ago that one benefit of having a woman's bike is that they are less likely to be stolen. If you get a woman's bike paint it hot pink and you will not even need to use a lock and chain.

AshleyCDFL
04-13-2009, 08:48 PM
It may be a Ft Lauderdale thing, but I see guys riding women's bikes all the time, hot pink, purple, you name it! I don't think most people care really anyways, they probably spend more time wondering why your not driving an SUV around than what type of bike your riding, lol.

BLUE ORCHID
04-13-2009, 09:27 PM
Some one said isn't that a girls bike your riding I told him that the salesman
told me that it was a METRO-SEXUAL model. Then he just said HUH.
Who knows maybe we are onto something here
.................................................. ............................orchid

Niya W
04-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Hmm now that I think about it, those hard plastic bike seats were the original DIY SRS kit . I say ride what ever makes you happy .

KateSpade83
04-13-2009, 10:57 PM
I was thinking, why not use my 2 mtn bikes as women's bikes! Like they already have a low top tube! I looked at my old 1997 modified with Shimano XT and Rhynolite Wheels Pacific mtn bike and IT'S PERFECT AS A WOMEN'S SHOPPING BIKE! I hit a top speed of 27.6 mph on this bike! It's already nicely decked out with fenders and Jandd Commuter panniers!

SO I DON'T HAVE TO BUY A WOMEN'S BIKE! SEE THE PIC OF IT! I removed the Suntour Beartrap II pedals on it because these are old school bmx pedals that sell on ebay for $250+ !

Like I already have 9 bmx, 2 mtn, and 7 road bikes!

linnea
04-14-2009, 12:22 AM
Yes, just go out and get one. I have one and ride it when I'm wearing a skirt or a dress.

Tenshi Mizuno
04-14-2009, 01:52 PM
I have a road bike I commute with all the time. I just wear a pair of athletic shorts under a skirt or dress and I'm just fine. No need for a bike with a drop bar.

Tal'Aura
04-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Jolan Tru,

I ride BMX bike made entirely of chromoly steel. Womens bikes are nice, but they can be broken easily, and they are also a bit bulky and heavy. So BMX is a perfect "unisex" bike for me. Furthermore, some cool things can be done with it...

Here is the picture:

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/8735/bikef.th.jpg (http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/8735/bikef.jpg)

Karen564
04-14-2009, 02:40 PM
Personally for me, riding a boys or girls bike doesn't really matter to me.. I'm a girl no matter what I ride..besides, I'd rather be riding a Harley..

Have you thought of getting a Moped??, I think those are generic and all have a low crossbar..

marti
04-14-2009, 06:02 PM
I have both a road bike and a mountain bike. I would not ride a woman specific bike. As other people have stated the geometry of higher end women's bikes are different than men's due to body size. If you just want to ride to the store or around the neighborhood or are small in stature it doesn't matter. If you want to do serious riding then you need to go to a real bike shop and get fitted to a bike that is right for your size and body type.

kimmy p
04-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Well if were posting pictures of our bikes, then this is mine. Only a week old. Red bikes are faster you know.

carolinewalker_2000
04-15-2009, 03:55 AM
I regularly use a womans bike; never had anyone comment.

jackieo
04-15-2009, 09:32 AM
OK Karren, you just look like the ultimate soccer mom. Absolutely convincing, one of your best pictures in my opinion!!!

There's been much debate about dressing it up at all costs versus being more casual but this proposal has to take the cake. I can think of no good reason to want to bike in a skirt suit. If transportation other than a car is required to get around, I'd suggest taking a bus.

All need is the explorer or the wind star and that sayes soccer mom all over it!LOL:D

SarahLynn
04-15-2009, 10:02 AM
Surely you are joking. I had no idea there was a difference in bikes, I thought they were all for transportation. Gender specific, what a novel idea. Hummm just think they can make 'em with a crossbar for the girls who don't have the family jewels to worry about and without for the boys who do. I do suppose it shall be a bit diffucalt for the girls in skirts to swing their legs up and over the back tire but hey they'd give us a good show wouldn't they.

Serious a bike for riding to and from work, so long as it's close enough to do so, is good healthy excerise. Does it really matter what sex the bike is, i mean you're not going to take it to bed just ride it to the store, or work, or the park, or the ballgame, or....... .

SarahLynn

Marla
04-15-2009, 12:09 PM
As an avid cyclist I will never understand the reason why there are mens and womens bikes! I think they should all be womens style because they are much friendlier to ride in sooo many ways. The straight bar on mens bikes are an absolute hazard to men if you know what I mean. I think it just shows how fanatical
our society is about gender distinction. I ride my womens bike about 150 miles a week and I've never noticed any stares or comments, of course then I really don"t care anyway! Its all about the fit. It's also purple and pink.

celeste26
04-15-2009, 12:23 PM
I ride recumbent bikes and there is no gender differences at all on them. Far more comfortable and no "bar where the nuts might fall."

here is the wiki link for them en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recumbent_bikes.

I wont ride one of those regular bikes ever again. They are just too primitive (yes even those fancy racing bikes.)