PDA

View Full Version : Female Impersonator or Crossdresser....

Sherry-Stephanie
04-16-2009, 09:44 PM
Who gets more respect or acceptance from the general populace????

sissystephanie
04-16-2009, 11:01 PM

At this point in our history, probably the Female Impersonator! Simply because that individual is putting on a show. Whereas a Crossdresser is doing something to please himself/herself! I know that describes me. I dress to please myself, and could less what others think. In no way am I trying to put on any kind of show!

Melinda G
04-16-2009, 11:03 PM
What's the difference?

Leslie Langford
04-16-2009, 11:19 PM
...but probably both more than the dreaded "transvestite", who probably ranks right up there in the minds of the general public along with axe-murderers, pedophiles, and Wall Street bankers :D.

Gabrielle Hermosa
04-17-2009, 04:09 AM
A female impersonator gets a lot more respect than a crossdresser because they are doing it to make a living. I think society generally only has a problem with men who present themselves in female attire simply because they want to with no other greater purpose.

For whatever reason, most of society considers it to be some kind of mental sickness or perversion if we want to look and appear female. If we're just doing it to make a living though, it becomes ok in their eyes (for the most part).

I don't know who made up the socially-acceptable rules on this stuff, but it really is ridiculous if you think about it. Then again, I think we all know that already.

Sarah...
04-17-2009, 04:52 AM
She who earns the respect gets the respect - whatever she's doing or wearing.

In my view.

To think otherwise is divisive.

Sarah...

deja true
04-17-2009, 05:23 AM
It's not that the vanilla public has any more respect (or any respect at all for that matter) for FI's. It's that, like us, most people just don't know any. And it's a sure thing they wouldn't want their daughter to marry one! And they wouldn't vote for one to be on the local school board.

FI's have respect and a measure of status in their own small world, and in ours, for their bravery and "talent", but Mr. Average Factory Worker thinks they're just as perverse as we are. Ask Jerry Springer or Maury Povich...the moderators of morality for the Lowest Common Denominator world!

Jan W
04-17-2009, 05:28 AM
Line ball

Karren H
04-17-2009, 06:03 AM
I don't need no stinkin respect!! lol Doesn't matter what you call it... "they" don't like it....

Kate Simmons
04-17-2009, 06:37 AM
Beats me Hon. BTW, actually I'm a male impersonator but don't tell anyone, okay?;):)

Sherry-Stephanie
04-17-2009, 06:55 AM
I ask the question simply because it appears that society can accept the Impersonator far more easily because they can wrap it with the "entertainer/entertainement" lable an that makes it more OK. Where as, Crossdressing is a "lifestyle choice" and with that brings a host of additional perceptions such as weird, gay, sick, strange etc etc etc...and thus it's far more difficult to accept it. However, both are doing the same thing here...dressing as a female....yet society perceives it in two different views...quirky huh?????...maybe we need to look at "the packaging" as crossdressers...

sissystephanie
04-17-2009, 07:03 AM
I like my "packaging!" Well, maybe except for a few inches around the waist!

deja true
04-17-2009, 07:10 AM
Well...maybe cd's would have a little more acceptance if we concentrated on being publicly over-the-top gorgeous men in dresses rather than reticent, mousy female wannnabes...

Ya noticed that the girls here with the least problems in public are the hawtest and/or most passable? And they tend to get the most acceptance in venues with a higher population of gender variant folks?

(Keep in mind also, that FI's are generally only very part-time as "women". They almost always live the majority of their lives as men. Gay men, to be sure, but still men!)

Location, location, location...and....confidence, confidence, confidence....

(Not entirely toungue-in-cheek!)

Celeste
04-17-2009, 07:22 AM
What an observation,"it's ok if what your doing has a purpose and one that I can understand",if not well then there must be something wrong.

MJ
04-17-2009, 07:27 AM
Female Impersonator as the courage to be seen in public most cross dressers don't .. yep Shades of gray...

Tina Dixon
04-17-2009, 07:28 AM
Female Impersonator, it's more like a profession, crossdresser is the weirdo next door.

curse within
04-17-2009, 07:37 AM
Who gets more respect or acceptance from the general populace???? I don't feel neither get the respect they deserve just one is tolerated more than the other. I also feel that xdressing compared to F.I. are two in the same.

Sherry-Stephanie
04-17-2009, 05:53 PM
I don't feel neither get the respect they deserve just one is tolerated more than the other. I also feel that xdressing compared to F.I. are two in the same.

That's pretty much the point that I was after....it is one in the same but looked at from two different points of view by the general populous....one the geenral population in some cases would go and pay to see the FI i.e. Los Vegas Revues....but a CD'er???? scorn riducule et al by the saame person although the FI and the CDer are both doing the same thing....just maybe for aa slightly different reason....

Bottom line...be true to your self and screw everyone else....

curse within
04-17-2009, 05:59 PM
If the the truth was to been said I would have to then go for the attraction .. If a CDer passes she never gets harrassed but a ugly guy walking in a dress ( like me ) would face some stares and comments.. I think that most F.I.'s and who they copy( like some of the female stars) Cher for one, is mainly for the entertainment factor.

Just a guess ..

docrobbysherry
04-17-2009, 06:33 PM
What is THAT anyway? An FI that doesn't get paid?:brolleyes:

Or, a show off CD?

Bernadina
04-17-2009, 09:15 PM
How about a Gender Illusionist. Keeps people guessing.

MissConstrued
04-17-2009, 10:53 PM
Well...maybe cd's would have a little more acceptance if we concentrated on being publicly over-the-top gorgeous men in dresses rather than reticent, mousy female wannnabes...

Ya noticed that the girls here with the least problems in public are the hawtest and/or most passable?

You may be on to something there. I don't try to "pass" but I do aim high for looks and style. Dressing sexy -- and a couple drinks -- brings out my inner party animal. I don't lay claim to mobs of screaming fans, but I do kinda have groupies. That's a new thing for me, and I have to be careful not to let it go to my head. Friends will brag me up to others who haven't seen me in drag yet. Never a cross look or furrowed brow. If anyone's ever had a problem with an over-the-top gorgeous guy in a dress, they keep it to themselves. (It's gotta take some brass ones to dress like that in public, eh?)

Some of the GG's at my usual hangout have paid attention, and have started dressing pretty nicely themselves. Competition! This can't be a bad thing any way you slice it. :battingeyelashes:

NatalieBliss
04-18-2009, 03:48 AM
I would think female impersonator, for the "it's a living" aspect in addition to that the majority of them are homosexual and to the general public a man wearing women's clothes liking men fits much nicer in the box then a man wearing women's clothes and liking women.

Joy Carter
04-18-2009, 03:50 AM
crossdresser is the weirdo next door.

Hey ! I resemble that remark !

I know this will get deleted. :sad: LoL

cd_britney_426
04-19-2009, 09:35 PM
I would say the female impersonator for one simple reason: they're famous. A crossdresser may catch someone's attention but they are just another anonymous face in the crowd. Since a female impersonator (i.e. drag queen) is putting on a show for an audience, people respect them for the most part because at the very least they are being entertained and at best they really think that particular queen is cool or is one of the best entertainers. A queen who does many shows at may bars, clubs, and public events and over the course of years gets their name and face out there enough that practically anyone familiar with the scene will know who they are. Just like anyone here in Arizona who is even barely acquainted with the drag scene should know who Barbara Seville is. So it clearly seems to be a fame thing. Even if the general public doesn't know you well or like you that well, they respect the position you have. Britney

Marilynn
04-19-2009, 09:53 PM
I'm convinced that if Dustin Hoffman and Jack Lemmon can do it, then we all can in our own way.

Dustin Hoffman and Jack Lemmon were doing theatrical drag. Everyone in the movie audiences saw a guy in a dress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k812fxnpLAM

Grae Phillips is a female illusionist. When Grae does her stage show, everyone is asking themselves "How can that not be a woman?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwt2PSe0F8w

Sherry-Stephanie
04-19-2009, 10:42 PM
and Rue Paul?????

Intertwined
04-19-2009, 11:05 PM

To keep it simple, a female impersonator because they are doing it to make a living, BUT, if you want it a little more complicated, it depends on the CDer.

I believe I get more respect than a female impersonator would, Yes I am a crossdresser, but, I do not try to pass, I make it obvious that I am a guy in a skirt and heels with a purse. I believe because I am NOT trying to pull the wool over anyones eyes, I am looked at differently than a CDer trying to pass, that has been read.

I have only ever had one bad experience while in my 50/50, and that was just some words.

Attached is a picture of me taken today, on my way out the door for a walk.

KarenS
04-20-2009, 01:28 AM
Female Impersonator, it's more like a profession, crossdresser is the weirdo next door.

For those of us with an SO that doesn't understand us or objects, do you you think they care what the difference is as far as we are concerned? They may be willing to go to the Follies Bergere but ...

Marilynn
04-20-2009, 08:27 AM
and Rue Paul?????

I've always thought of RuPaul as a sort of toned down drag queen. Sometimes you'll see really nice pictures with a straight feminine look, but often she does the big drag queen wigs and over-the-top eye makeup.

Performers like Grae Phillips never step over the line to drag queen. That's the distinction I was trying to make. RuPaul could pass, but often chooses to be theatrical like a drag queen.

Patricia1
04-20-2009, 08:40 AM
That's entertainment! The trouble with most crossdressers is that we've got stage fright!

Cary
04-20-2009, 08:42 AM

Who you callin a weirdo! I'm perfectly normal man in a dress!:)

Carly D.
04-20-2009, 09:55 AM
I think if the female impersonator dresses as someone famous then they usually would get that awe type of appeal and respect.. such as dressing like Cher or Brittany or whomever.. but as far as female impersonator unknown person or just the dressing and passing and being flamboyant about it (acting like a woman) then I think that is just cross dressing on steroids.. I guess female impersonators could be regular cross dressers.. there wouldn't be that much difference I suppose.. then there are cross dressers who dress in womens clothes that don't try to complete the disguise. that is kinda me.. I dress up and from a distance look the part, but up close wouldn't fool anyone.. I don't wear makeup or if I do it is just lipstick and nail polish.. no eye makeup, or concealer or any of the heavy stuff though I would like to try mascara and an eyeliner type of idea.. might get some of that for fun...

Intertwined
04-21-2009, 10:13 PM
Who you callin a weirdo! I'm perfectly normal man in a dress!:)

Thank You ! !
:cheer: :^5:

Lorileah
04-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Who get s more respect? Rodney Dangerfield.

Neither get respect unless you are at the top of the game like RuPaul or Frank Marino. Otherwise you get the same respect as any other actor. One step up from a curiousity