PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts on passing...

Leslie Langford
04-20-2009, 08:34 AM
By now, I am sure that most of you have heard the Cinderella story of Susan Boyle, the somewhat frumpy, plain, and middle-aged (and oh, yes! - allegedly never been kissed) Scottish phenom who appeared last week on Britain's Got Talent to assorted snickers by the hip and "beautiful" people. She then proceeded to blow them away when she opened her mouth and sang a show tune with a voice that would have made angels turn green with envy. Even Simon Cowell was speechless, the audience fell deathly silent, and - suitably chastised - everyone then stood up after that amazing performance and gave her a rousing standing ovation. The video(s) of that performance have since gone viral on the Internet with over 10 million hits to date and counting.

Susan is the very antithesis of what this shallow, superficial world of ours considers beautiful these days. She was not a Botoxed, breast-augmented, face-lifted, tummy-tucked, and liposuctioned man-made creation of Western pop culture where it has become an article of faith that external beauty and appearance = glamor + likeability + intelligence + success + relevance + role model etc.

In fact, to be brutally honest - Susan looked like a man in a dress and could just as easily have stepped right out of a Monty Python skit. With her plain face, square jaw, prominent nose, bushy eyebrows and straggly hair, she looked not unlike one of us less "passable" CDers. Even her dress was shapeless and frumpy, and about the only thing "feminine" about her was the heels she was wearing.

But when she opened her mouth, Susan "passed". Boy, did she "pass"! The judges and audience were truly stunned, and after the standing ovation practically fell over themselves in apologizing to her for their initial indifference and contempt in a "we had no idea" kind of way - as if that somehow justified that boorish and infantile behavior when she first stepped out onto the stage.

What Susan had in abundance was an awesome inner beauty and an indominable spirit and belief in herself that transcended all other factors. She can be a true inspiration to us CDers who worry far to much about the exterior when we wonder if we "pass".

Susan "passed" with flying colors, and she did it not by looks but with spirit, graciousness and a positive "I have a right to be here just like you " attitude which people invariably respond to favorably, and which has been a constant mantra of those successful "out and about" CDer's on this forum who speak from personal experience.

Patricia1
04-20-2009, 08:50 AM
Well said. However, Susan did, after all, have a talent that lifted her plainness to where she could be appreciated despite her "drawbacks". When all is said & done, tho,the real world requires that you bring something to the table. The sad truth is that you do have to measure up in the end, confidence notwithstanding.

cindym5_04
04-20-2009, 09:00 AM
I finally watched the video of her singing "I Dream The Dream" from Les Mis. It put me in tears. I've never heard anything like that. Susan Boyle has an absolutely amazing voice.

I agree about society requiring you to bring something to the table. Typical society focuses far too much on looks/appearance. If anyone has watched the video, at the beginning when she first walks out, everyone completely wrote her off.

Megan70
04-20-2009, 09:31 AM
Leslie, that is a beautiful and touchy post of yours. I hope that those who respond here don't get off track and talk about themselves or CD's passing in public. That is not the issue being addressed her , its the bigger picture ... and boy was it BIG.
When I first saw the clip of this performance on Good Morning America I cried and got a lump in my throat I was so touched. I since found the YouTube link ( theres about 6-8) ( go for the 5:40 second one) I sent it out to my closest friends on my address book as a linhk because I knew thee people would be touched by what was said and sung there.

I still to this day weep and tears role down my face when I watch it over and over again. I have always been a very sensitive person , due to my aesethetic /art back ground and I don't at all consider that emotion as " my feminine attribut". Its not. Its called being human and being touched by the courage of another himan being who is not afraid to stand in front of thousands of people and prove herself and show them!
As I ended my e-mail I stated that There are no ugly ducklings but people with dreams who have achieved them.... like this girl.

Megan

Karren H
04-20-2009, 09:50 AM
So............ I guess I should sign up for singing lessons??

Sally2005
04-20-2009, 09:52 AM
I didn't research her histroy, but my spin on it is this. In todays society it is pretty hard to be successful if you don't blend in. If she had tried to look the part she would probably have been noticed earlier in her life. That being said, it is great to see recognition based on her talent alone. I hope she inspires people to consider that every person has a talent and the way they look may not reflect that. I bet she is going to end up getting a makeover though when she hits the big time!

Di
04-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Just a note there is thread in the media section about her and I added the link in there. I left this in here as it was written to discuss thoughts on passing...and how sometimes peoples perceptions relate to someones appearance.
Just a friendly mod note:D:hugs:

vivianann
04-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Susan Boyle's performance was awesome, I loved it when she did her dance, and I really loved it when the judges were surprised and how they even Simon were groveling to her, I listened to her singing several times last week when I found her performance link. What a beautiful moment that was.