PDA

View Full Version : Traveling and Restrooms

sissy lynn4949
04-22-2009, 04:29 AM
Hi girls, I have a trip coming up in June to two States that I have not traveled in at least 15 yrs and I need to know some info, the two states are Penn. and N. Carolina and as I'm transitioning and I live in California and we don't have too many hassles in regards to going to the Ladies Room, but I would like to know what the law is and how people deal with it. Any information will help and I want to thank everyone in advance....Hugs,~~sissylynn~~:fairy3:

Karren H
04-22-2009, 08:21 AM
I live in PA and I really don't know the law.. Probably have something to do with decency or something but most of the new rest areas and public facilities have family unisex restrooms.. Which I perfer.. So given the choice I'd pick those first then which ever restroom fits how your dressed.. I've used the womens restrooms in Pa and wv a lot and never had an issue..

DonnaT
04-22-2009, 11:56 AM
Most states don't really have specific laws regarding using the rest rooms if you are trans.

Some towns might even if the state does not, however.

Bathroom usage is the big stumbling block to anti-discrimination laws getting passed, and in all instances where this has been discussed, there has been no mention of laws prohibiting someone who is trans from using the facilities appropriate to the gender they appear to be.

If you are worried, use the family/unisex ones. If none are available, use the ladies, but don't linger in the restroom.

Katie Lynn
04-22-2009, 12:43 PM
You may have to deal with a pissed of woman if she feels uncomfortable, or just pissed of people in general. I wouldnt think there would be much chance of legal problems though. Just have to watch yourself as always. Back in the day, before I could pass at all, I never had problems...just odd looks and who cares about those?

Persephone
04-22-2009, 01:23 PM
If you are normally recognized as a woman (store associates call you "Ma'm" pretty consistenly, men hold doors for you) you will probably be most comfortable in the women's restroom.

If not, probably the other one.

Hmmmmm, in addition to Julie C's suggestion that Stephanie create "an insurance policy to guard against a spouse that goes ballistic in finding out about CDing," maybe she should also create "restroom insurance."

Leslie Mary S
04-22-2009, 01:40 PM
I know that we have among us those who have access to country/state laws on this subject. Could some of you put together such a chart?
In my personal case, I under normal view do not pass as a woman. Where do I go to go?

This last Sunday in Atlanta, Ga., we stopped so I could go. We had filled up the tank at a fuel/convince center and then I went in to pay and I asked for the key to one of the facilities rooms. I was in my full fem outfit that I had worn at Macy's. I was told that the plumbing was broken and that both rooms were out of service due to a drainage problem.
Two customers backed away from me like I was the plague.
A 'nice (not really)' ending to a very nice weekend.

Midnight Skye
04-22-2009, 02:55 PM
In the US there are no hardened laws in public areas. Someone can sue the property owner for allowing transgendered/crossdressers in bathrooms. But it will usualy results in this:

http://www.ifge.org/Article223.phtml

If you follow down to the article "Stand by Yer Gal!" You'll see what happened to a woman who tried to sue IBM for allowing a transgendered in the Woman's bathroom. Things didn't go well for the woman who filed the complaint and IBM reinforce the bathroom rules in fairness for Transgenders.

The general rule I've heard quoted time and time again is go in the bathroom you're dressed for. And if in doubt use the woman's. Because the worst thing a woman will do is screem and yell. Men on the other hand can get ugly.