PDA

View Full Version : Need your opionion!!!!

Ediosa
04-22-2009, 12:32 PM
I went out today enfemme. I felt fantastic. Well, while I was at the mall, NY and Company store was hiring with the application in front. Well, I thought what the hell, let me fill out the application and hand it in. Well, all and behold, I had to give the manager the application. Well, here is the situation. She has now seen me dressed. If I get a call for the interview, since it's already the manager, should I go dressed or as my male self? What do you ladies think? Right now, I really don't know.

Thanks before hand for your responses.

Elizabeth

sandra-leigh
04-22-2009, 12:38 PM
My opinion: go as the gender you expect to present at at work if you were hired. And if that is female, then dress according to how the other female workers there dress (though if they dress very casually then you might dress slightly more professionally.)

Katie Lynn
04-22-2009, 12:38 PM
I would go dressed...what do you have to lose?

marla01
04-22-2009, 12:41 PM
I agree with Tess, present yourself in the gender you wish to work as.

Marla

Kate Simmons
04-22-2009, 12:42 PM
If you get the call for the interview, explain that you are a CD and then ask if it would make any difference if you are dressed for the interview or not. This will help to avoid any potentially embarrassing encounters on both ends.

cindym5_04
04-22-2009, 12:49 PM
I would show up how you would present yourself at work. As you turned in your application while you were "dressed", I would expect that if you get the call for the interview, she would expect you to show up dressed.

Miranda09
04-22-2009, 01:11 PM
If you get the call for the interview, explain that you are a CD and then ask if it would make any difference if you are dressed for the interview or not. This will help to avoid any potentially embarrassing encounters on both ends.

I agree with everyone here, but I think Arianna has the best approach. Keeps from getting into sticky situations.

jenna_woods
04-22-2009, 01:19 PM
I agree go dressed, and explain you are a CD and hope for the best.

Shikyo
04-22-2009, 02:23 PM
Go in dressed the way you want to work there. No point going there in feminine cloths if you want to work there as male, the same the other way around. Just ask yourself the question do you want to work as female, if the answer is yes then you should dress as female, if the answer is no then you should go there as male.

Hope
04-22-2009, 02:51 PM
My opinion: go as the gender you expect to present at at work if you were hired. And if that is female, then dress according to how the other female workers there dress (though if they dress very casually then you might dress slightly more professionally.)

This is the one.

Kathleen Ann Trees
04-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Be proud of who you are, and be what you want to be.

In either case, the most important thing is to prepared for the interview. Look up the top 10 interview questions and be prepared to answer them. Also be prepared with good questions that you have about the business. (Don't bring up pay until their decision is made to hire you. Then you can do the negotiation.)

As for how you should dress, I say do what you want. Again, in either case, be professional. It's clearly an opportunity to discuss job expectations. My vote is to go en femm so they can see how great you look. But, also why not go for the best of both worlds. (If you want.) Meaning, dress en femm or drab on any given day, as you feel and want.

Bottom line, professionalism is the key!

Good Luck
Kathleen Ann

Jodi
04-22-2009, 09:04 PM
I worked for NY & Co for almost three years as an SA in male mode. All in the store knew I was a cd and it was not a factor. Could I have worked the floor dressed en femme. Hell no!!

Retail is a very serious business and NY & Co is very hard core when it comes to sales and presentation on the floor. If you are seriously transitioning, it is one thing--laws cover you. Working the floor as a cd, I, seriously, don't believe would fly.

Trust me. The job looks all grand and glorious, but retail ( especially NY & Co) is cut throat. You make sales plan or else. Dress codes are strictly enforced. There are separate codes for male and female. As a male, you would be expected to follow the dress code to the letter.

My recommendation is to go to the interview as a male. Expect to work the floor as a male. If hired, learn your job and do the best you can. Enjoy their liberal discount.

It is no problem being a cd--just don't flaunt it on the floor while working. If just one customer would complain, you would be out the door in a New York minute (pun intended).

Good luck.

Jodi

Carly D.
04-22-2009, 11:56 PM
I agree go dressed, and explain you are a CD and hope for the best.

If the manager saw you dressed this way and called you in as such then as everyone else has said dress as you were that day.. could be good but also you might as a last resort take a picture of yourself in male mode in case she is confused..