PDA

View Full Version : Employee Resource Network Groups Have Their Perks!

TSchapes
04-22-2009, 09:12 PM
As some of you know, I work for a large corporation that strives for diversity. So one of the things that they have done is encourage and fund Enterprise Resource Network Groups. These are business groups, for like women, Asian-Indians, African-Americans and the one I belong to is the LGBT.

These are groups that not only reach out to their respective groups for business, but also help in teaching others at work about the issues each of these groups face.

Anyways, I had asked at the last meeting if it was OK for Tracy to show up at one of the next meetings. And they said that would be fine.

So for this month's meeting it was decided to go out to a restaurant. And sure enough I surprised them and showed up as Tracy! Everybody was very nice and I even had to fight off an admirer lol (not with our group btw).

So if you have an LGBT group at your place of employ why not join and share your femme side!

Now either this was a great idea or I'll regret it for the rest of my life. Stay Tuned!

Love, Tracy

TSchapes
04-23-2009, 07:36 PM
I probably should have asked a question like, "Do think this was a stupid move on my part?" or "Am I taking advantage of this group?" or "Was this inappropriate behavior?" or "Would you do this if you had the chance?" or "Do you think these ERNG are worth the time and energy?", or is this just not news worthy...

Love you guys, Tracy

darla_g
04-23-2009, 07:47 PM
wow tracy that is so cool!

Sigrid Cutie
04-23-2009, 08:07 PM
well Tracy, i must say that was a wonderful opportunity that must of us won't have.
and yeah i would do it if i had the chance.

Angie G
04-23-2009, 08:11 PM
I hope every thing turns out good down the road Tracy.
Angie

linnea
04-23-2009, 09:33 PM
what a great idea. thanks.

Ashlie Marie
04-23-2009, 10:25 PM
Wow Tracy thats great... I myself belong to my Companies LGBT ARG. we call them associate resource groups lol. Well the excutive sponser of our group for the whole country is one of the directors of HR, and it was her who is helpiing me transition in my job. So I agree 100% they are best thingse to get involved in :-)

hugs,

Lana_CD
04-24-2009, 03:50 AM
The company I work for also has several work groups, one of them being GLBT.
The HR person incharge of our facility was holding seminars at our facility about The Right Side of the Line when she told us of the work groups and that she was also a member of the GLBT group altho she says she is not a lesbian.
Several months after, I approached her about that particular group and she was interested in having me join but then handed me off to another VP within the management. I have not fully trusted management in our company so right now have placed on hold any further contact with them about joining.
Not being out to anyone at work is difficult but joining this group and hving someone at work find out wold be really bad as most of them are closed minded jerks.
Lana

deja true
04-24-2009, 05:28 AM
Well...considering Lana's feelings about her fellow employees, maybe it's not a good idea for her. Transphobia isn't just limited to the vanilla world. There are plenty of gay men and women who don't understand or want to understand us either.

But Tracy, as you've been a member of your group for quite some time and you're out to most of them anyway, I think the chances of a successful dinner are pretty good. If you get along well with the rest of the group, I'd go for it, especially if the meeting is off-site away from the workplace... But keep in mind, it might out you to the remaining 2% of your office that doesn't know.

Your courage makes you a hero(ine) to rest of us, darlin'!

;)

TSchapes
04-24-2009, 09:00 PM
The company I work for also has several work groups, one of them being GLBT.
The HR person incharge of our facility was holding seminars at our facility about The Right Side of the Line when she told us of the work groups and that she was also a member of the GLBT group altho she says she is not a lesbian.
Several months after, I approached her about that particular group and she was interested in having me join but then handed me off to another VP within the management. I have not fully trusted management in our company so right now have placed on hold any further contact with them about joining.
Not being out to anyone at work is difficult but joining this group and hving someone at work find out wold be really bad as most of them are closed minded jerks.
Lana

Lana, I can believe that the HR person may be telling the truth about belonging to the GLBT group, but she is not lesbian. There are two possibilities: one, she's a straight supporter, which we also have in our group, or two, she's trans herself (one way or the other). BTW, A number of straight supporters of our group have friends or relatives that are LGBT.

Our group meets off site at a center that is for gay and transgender support. We don't meet at any of the company sites. And we do not "out" one another.

It's sad your company has not taken the time to help educate their staff in diversity matters. I really think it is one of the best ways that we will get some understanding. I have not run into anyone yet at work that has been rude to me once that they found out I was a CD. I have told over 30 people. If they are saying things behind my back, then so be it.

But the way I figure it, the company sponsors diversity activities, and as part of our annual review we have to take part in x number of activities. They sponsor and encourage these Employee Resource Network Groups, so by participating, I am following their recommendations. If I were ever harassed by any one person at work, I think the company would have to stand by me, because I an following their recommendations. If not, then I would have legal recourse for harassment. So I don't see the downside of my actions at this time.

If anyone is interested in starting an LGBT ERNG at their place of employ, check out this link at the HRC website: Establishing an Employee Resource Group (http://www.hrc.org/issues/workplace/diversity/4832.htm)

-Tracy

flatlander_48
04-25-2009, 06:25 AM
My employer has had an LGBT group for about 10 years. I have been a member for about 6. My ex-wife asked me not to join until we separated and she left town. However, she needn't have worried as there are a number of straight folks (allies) that are members.

As a bit of trivia, others have mentioned the labels of ERG's and ARG's. Besides the time-honored Diversity Group title, there is also Affinity Group. Anyway, I think it's interesting how we have to find just the right term...

Right now there is a member of the group who is just beginning the process of Transitioning in the workplace. I don't know this person very well, so I don't know if she is planning to complete the M->F transition with surgery or not. At any rate, her department supervision and department members have all been told of what will be happening and I understand that the reactions have been quite positive.

Our group meets once a month. We usually meet on company property. However, we have a number of facilities in a 10 miles radius, so it wouldn't be unusual to see a group of people that you don't know show up to use a conference room. Being on site also allows people from other locations or who are out on work assignments to call in or do Net Meeting.

Midnight Skye
04-25-2009, 06:34 AM
I'm envious Tracy! My company does have a number of transgenders employed and LGBT group or two. But they meet primarily onsite with more focus on building company networks under. Its a bit overassumed that my company is accepting to "all". I think if I did what you did I would essentially be outting myself... which wouldn't be so bad... lol