PDA

View Full Version : I challenge you: dressup party is next Friday

Sally2005
04-23-2009, 11:57 AM
Based on some other threads I read, I thought it could be fun to try to dare or challenge some others to try something they always were too scared to try. It is not a competition to out do anyone else's dare, but a competition with yourself - to finally overcome your fear. I have certain fears related to CDing, but probably one of the biggest one was the first time in the makeup isle and it might have been easier to do if I had a good excuse at the time.

Here is your cover story:

You have been asked by a good friend to attend a party next Friday at 7pm at the local arts center downtown. You have waited until the last minute because you are a bit nervous, but it is a reverse dress party and you are expected to be the female version of yourself...not drag or extreme the event is an exercise in gender awareness to experience what it is to be the opposite gender for a few hours. You have your SO or girl friend who is going to help with the clothes, but you don't have a wig yet and wonder where to get one that looks okay for cheap.

Here is your objective:

1. Go to the makeup store in drab (I've had personal positive experience with MAC) and walk up to the counter and ask if you can get a foundation color to match your skin tone and tell her you are looking for something to cover beard shadow that looks natural (not for camera). Let her try it on you.

2. For bonus points, let her do your whole face and take notes. But if you are too nervous for that make an appointment for the next week in their private room or just tell her your friend will do the rest, but ask her if she has any tips to help your face look more feminine. Like using shadows to make your face look round.

3. For the most bonus points, let her do your entire face right there and then. Head over to the wig store with your face all done up and try on wigs until you find the perfect one.

note: This could be expensive, but you could limit your cost by just getting the foundation this time. But you will need a wig for sure before the party.

Good luck. Report back on your experiences! I hope someone tries this. I did step one and shopped for a wig in drab a couple years ago and it was a blast.

SherriePall
04-23-2009, 12:16 PM
I have done one and two several years ago. Two different SA's at two different times at the same cosmetics store, though.
A year or so later I went and bought my hair while en drab at a beauty salon (right after his last hair cutting appointment).
So, do I get any points? I made no excuse for the foundation. I did use one for the other make-up (Halloween was coming). And the wig was right out in the open with no excuses tendered as I said I dressed (about a month later I went back dressed to show the salon owner).
I do hope that others try these experiences as they are definite stepping stones in our journey.

MissConstrued
04-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Well, I didn't do the wig thing, but I have gotten makeup done at MAC while in drab, then left it on while I went round the mall the rest of the day. Ain't no thang.

Oh, but I didn't make any excuses, either. I just told the SA what I wanted.

TommiTN
04-23-2009, 01:53 PM
I have had two makeovers at the Clinique counter at Macy's in Lenox Square Mall, Atlanta. I was dressed casually fem (tight boot cut jeans, top,all the usual underthings and boobs, slide sandals, hair and some bling both times. No excuses offered (I was dressed, after all). The SA is very cool with doing TG makeovers. The SA's from other brands kept coming by to watch and now want to do my next MO. :D Then I went to the food court for a little nosh, followed by some window shopping. Any points?

Miranda09
04-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Hmmmmm.....Sally, you really know how to put up a challenge, don't you.

linnea
04-23-2009, 09:37 PM
I've done both steps several times. Now I go out with wig and make-up. I really like the idea and the challenge. Thank you.