PDA

View Full Version : Lying to myself?

Intertwined
04-24-2009, 01:00 AM
Would love everyones opinion on this one.

Occasionally, in ALL male mode, I wear a kilt.

I say " I am not crossdressing " but am I lying to myself?

I feel many of the same feelings I get when in a Very feminine skirt, comfortable, happy, loving the attention, the only difference is I feel VERY masculine.

Attached are a couple of pics of me in my kilts.

Christine Kelly
04-24-2009, 01:06 AM
I don't think you are lying at all!
I seriously do not see that what you are wearing
in the pictures as 'cross' dressing.
Definitely NOT!

DawnRodgers
04-24-2009, 01:07 AM
Even though you get a similar reaction between wearing a kilt and a skirt, I think it is just because they do feel and are basically the same. I don't think that makes you a CD though. We usually do it to appear to be a woman because a skirt is historically and exclusively a woman's garment.
Dawn

Jessica Who
04-24-2009, 01:12 AM
I don't anyone can answer that but you. Personally, even I were wearing feminine clothing made for men, I wouldn't consider it crossdressing. It's got to be made for women for me to feel anything.

Intertwined
04-24-2009, 01:14 AM
Thank You... this question popped into my head the other day, and its been bouncing around in there like a ping pong ball...

Satrana
04-24-2009, 03:09 AM
No you are not lying to yourself. Clothes are just clothes so a kilt and skirt are essentially the same thing. It is the context that we apply to clothes - in this case their masculine/feminine qualities that matters.

We primarily crossdress to connect with our femininity which we feel inhibited to do when presenting as male. So CDing is a tool to circumvent our gender inhibitions and social taboos.

So because you feel masculine when wearing a kilt, you are not crossdressing. This would be the same for any clothes item - even if it were female. If it does not affect your gender expression then it really is just clothing and nothing else.

Sheila
04-24-2009, 03:43 AM
if it feels good, does it matter why you are wearing it, and why would you need to lie to yourself, or even feel as if you are, you have always come across to me to be a fairky well balanced individual :)

Gabrielle Hermosa
04-24-2009, 03:52 AM
Would love everyones opinion on this one.

Occasionally, in ALL male mode, I wear a kilt.

I feel many of the same feelings I get when in a Very feminine skirt, comfortable, happy, loving the attention, the only difference is I feel VERY masculine.

I would say that technically, no - you are not lying. The kilt is considered part of the "male" wardrobe, even if not fashionable in all parts of the world. Also, the fact that you feel masculine when you are wearing a kilt indicates that you're not doing anything girly or feminine.

I think you're just second guessing your desire to wear a kilt because you are a crossdresser and a kilt is, for all intents and purposes, a man-skirt. BUT the key point is the word "man" as in masculine attire.

I don't think you're fooling yourself at all. You seem pretty straight forward to me, at least in this regard. :)

Carin
04-24-2009, 04:53 AM
the only difference is I feel VERY masculine.

My favourite reference - for consistency - the wiki Transgender page - refers to a cross-dresser as "who wears the clothing of the opposite sex because it is the clothing of the opposite sex". I don't think you qualify in this particular instance, any more than women wearing women's pants do.

It looks good on you too!

Karren H
04-24-2009, 05:57 AM
Liar liar... kilt on fire!! :D

Shikyo
04-24-2009, 08:17 AM
I don't think you are lying at all. The kilt is a male piece of clothing, so there is not problems at all wearing it when ever you want. It's definitely not cross dressing of any kind. I've met many males who enjoy wearing kilt, but could not even think about wearing a skirt of any kind. This despite a kilt and skirt being almost the same thing, just having a different name and are worn by the different sexes.

If you enjoy wearing a kilt, just go ahead. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. I would have loved to get one before, when I still had no idea about my transsexuality, but I never got myself to buy one. Now as I've admit myself, I can just skip them and go straight to the real thing.

Life is meant to be enjoyed, don't worry about pieces of cloths as long as they make you happy, there's absolutely nothing to worry about.

carolinebrookes
04-24-2009, 08:45 AM
I think I can step in here and offer a view that is valid.

I am a Scotsman and proud to be so. Historically, as a race we have worn the kilt for centuries. Anyone and everyone famous for being Scottish has worn a kilt. Sean Connery, Billy Connelly manly enough for you? Many others who have nothing to do with being Scottish have worn kilts.
Nowaday's it's fashionable to wear a kilt and they come in all forms from the traditional fabric right down to leather.

I have worn Kilts at weddings, graduation, at football matches, on holiday.

Without exception, especially at weddings and functions I've attended, women seem to have an attraction to a rugged man wearing the traditional Highland outfit.
I'm no great looker but I have been known to be fighting off women whilst in the kilt on these occasions! :D

Whilst on Holiday, in Mallorca, I was stopped almost constantly by eager tourists who wanted to have a picture taken with me whilst in my Kilt.

There is of course a big difference between me being all manly and butch in my kilt and being soft and feminine in a nice dress and heels.
I don't think I'd receive as much attention from the ladies if I were in fem mode :sad:

So in conclusion, Enjoy wearing the kilt. It is comfortable to wear and looks good.

It is a great icebreaker with the ladies too!

JulieC
04-24-2009, 09:06 AM
The first shot, in red, looks like someone just shot you in the upper left chest with a phaser :lol: Sorry, some sort of weird lens flare or lighting trick or something. But, it looks funny. Combined with the expression on your face :) This first image doesn't look particularly masculine or feminine to me. I think if the headband were gone, it'd look more masculine. The second image with the khaki kilt looks very masculine. I just don't see anything feminine in it. I really like this second image. The no sleeve shirt angled to your waist, and the kilt angling out at the same angle...makes me think of a roman gladiator. Very nice look!

I don't think you're lying to yourself. I think you're wrapping yourself up in an unusual state of mine that because women do most of the skirt wearing in this world, a man wearing a skirt is automatically crossdressing. This isn't true. A many wearing tights designed for men isn't crossdressing either. Neither is a stage actor wearing heavy makeup. Neither is a man wearing cowboy boots with a heal. Neither is a man wearing earrings. Neither is a man with long hair. Neither is a man wearing silk boxers. The kilt is made specifically for men. As someone else said, you're no more crossdressing in a kilt than a woman wearing slacks.

I go along with many above; I don't feel like I'm crossdressing, and thus not expressing femininity, if I'm not wearing clothes designed for women.

docrobbysherry
04-24-2009, 11:02 AM
I can be dressed to the TEETH! Look in the mirror, and see what appears to be an attractive, sexy woman. But, NOT feel anything LIKE BEING that woman!:eek:

When I DO think I feel what BEING a woman mite be like, it is a fleeting thot that is soon gone!:sad:

On the other hand, I've never spent much time thinking what it feels like to be a man, either!:brolleyes:

Veronica75
04-24-2009, 01:02 PM
I also wear a kilt MUCH more often than your typical American guy, and I concur with the popular opinion that you are not at all lying to yourself.

In fact, I'd argue that a kilt is one of the manliest pieces of clothing you're likely to wear (despite the paradox that it is, essentially, a skirt and provides much of the same ventilation), and would go so far as to say you'd be lying to yourself if you wore a kilt and considered it crossdressing.

The only time a kilt seems the slightest bit effete is when it's worn with the ultra-formal doublet and frilly jabot, but that style is hardly seen anymore anyway. But a kilt with a jacket and tie, t-shirt, sweater, or formal jacket? Manlier than Kirk Douglas, Chuck Heston, and Lee Marvin having a drinking contest.

Oh, and as Caroline said above, kilts at weddings and such tend to be serious chick magnets. Girls just LOVE a guy in a kilt.

Lorileah
04-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Can you lie to yourself? Don't you know the truth? Wow man that's deep.

PS you ain't lyin, you are just being you

Veronica75
04-24-2009, 05:17 PM
Can you lie to yourself? Don't you know the truth? Wow man that's deep.

That's the worst part of it-- you know you're being lied to, but choose to believe what you're being told anyway, even though you know it's a lie, because it's what you want to believe.

Sort of like visiting a car dealership.

Miranda09
04-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Ask a Scottsman if wearing a kilt is cross-dressing! It's a traditional garb for that culture. And, they look comfortable.

Intertwined
04-24-2009, 11:14 PM
I wanted to see your responces before posting this...

The reason I have my doupts, is my wife does not like to see me in my kilts, I believe she sees it as a skirt, thus makes me look feminine to her (that's my assumption, and my assumptions ususally get me in trouble). It is something I will talk more about with my wife, when the time is right.

Liar liar... kilt on fire!! :D

Got to your post Karren, and started laughing, Thank You.

The first shot, in red, looks like someone just shot you in the upper left chest with a phaser :lol: Sorry, some sort of weird lens flare or lighting trick or something. But, it looks funny. Combined with the expression on your face :) This first image doesn't look particularly masculine or feminine to me. I think if the headband were gone, it'd look more masculine. The second image with the khaki kilt looks very masculine. I just don't see anything feminine in it. I really like this second image. The no sleeve shirt angled to your waist, and the kilt angling out at the same angle...makes me think of a roman gladiator. Very nice look!

That red shirt is a gym type shirt that has the brand label done in a reflective tape, that why the flash lit it up so much. The second image is my " Mountain Kilt " from a company called Mountain Hardware, now that you mention it, that does look vey Gladiator like.. wore that one at the Gym today. Link to the products webpage (http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Product.aspx?top=1621&cat=1665&prod=39)

That's the worst part of it-- you know you're being lied to, but choose to believe what you're being told anyway, even though you know it's a lie, because it's what you want to believe.

Sort of like visiting a car dealership.

WOW, not thats deep...

Jacueen
04-25-2009, 12:24 AM
Add my vote to the "no you're not lying to yourself" chorus. After all, Scotland isn't a nation full of crossdressers!

Seriously, you look good but you look like a - well - a man in a kilt. Nothing there that screams "crossdresser" to me.

:battingeyelashes: Jacueen

Dressing Jill
04-25-2009, 04:33 AM
Not a Lie for sure.

I love my kilts. As I come from a Scottish family..

Have you tried on a utility kilt. I got one at a scottish festival years ago. I am a handyman by trade and it really works for me.

Luv

Jill