PDA

View Full Version : Q: about strangers photographing you

CharleneT
04-25-2009, 12:12 PM
After a local GLBT "Prom" night last night, some of us went out to the local club to dance (*more*). Anyway, while I was dancing a table full of foreign students asked if I would pose with them for some photos. I did, and I don't really care too much about that. In this case it was obvious they wanted a picture with the TG lady .... I've had this happen to me most of the times I've gone out lately. This is Iowa and seeing a CD/TS out dressed is somewhat unusual. My friends thought it was rude.

I'm wondering if others have this experience while out dressed, do people come up to you and ask if you would pose with them? Do you think it is rude ?

Annie D
04-25-2009, 12:33 PM
No, I have not had anyone ask me to pose with them and take a picture. No, I do not think that the people who asked you to pose with them were rude. Whether they wanted to show their friends back home one of the "sights" in America or if they just wanted a picture to remember their outing in Iowa should be considered flattering. When the pictures are reviewed upon their return to their native land, I'm sure that you will produce an interesting conversation. If you had had a camera yourself, you might have asked them to snap another for a memory about some fun-loving people who shared some time with you.

Gabrielle Hermosa
04-25-2009, 01:30 PM
I'm wondering if others have this experience while out dressed, do people come up to you and ask if you would pose with them? Do you think it is rude ?

If someone approached me asking to take a photo AND I did not sense that it was a "freak show" photo, I'd be happy to. I don't care if it is a "topic of conversation" photo or a "look - I met a crossdresser" photo. So long as I don't get the impression that it is the "whoa - check out the freaks you meet out there" kind of thing, I'd be happy to be their captured memory and topic of conversation. :) I'd probably ask to take a few for my self. Why not?

TommiTN
04-25-2009, 01:40 PM
if they ask but truth is we get our photos snapped practically every time we're out in a crowd. Ever notice how many people suddenly have to make a phone call when they spot you?:straightface:

Lisa Golightly
04-25-2009, 01:44 PM
Nope... and they couldn't afford my modelling rates... lol ;)

Kayla Shadows
04-25-2009, 02:19 PM
Ive been in pictures and I didnt think it was rude.Im sure in a certain way it can but,some people just think you are interesting.I dont think there is anything wrong with the people who are curious and respectful about it.

Carole Cross
04-25-2009, 02:40 PM
I was asked for a picture a couple of weeks ago and I obliged. I don't think it is rude, I used to get asked to pose for pictures when I worked at Bowlpex. So far all of the girls have been from the UK. I am quite happy to pose for photos, I quite like the attention. :heehee:

Sam-antha
04-25-2009, 02:40 PM
Never been asked for like that, but I have asked strangers to do it to me
~Samm

Deedee Dupree
04-25-2009, 02:59 PM
If you go out in public it goes with the territory... every body seems to be carrying a camera these days.

Although I have not gone out in public solo* for a long time, when I did, I have had my photo taken on occasion. I enjoyed the attention because I was having fun.

As to "freak show", there are a few individuals in the city who go around town in broad daylight wearing very frilly sissy maids dresses... the whole nine yards! I have seen the photographs. And they have been asked to pose with and for tourists and were glad to oblige. Lesson in that somewhere...

Of course, if one is uncomfortable being out and about, one may regard being photographed as rude, an invasion of privacy... and even if you are cool with yourself I realize many will feel that way for other very good reasons. dd

trannie T
04-25-2009, 03:38 PM
If one is out and about there is no 'reasonable expectation of privacy.' Which means that if someone wishes to take a photo they are entitled to do so for personal, artistic or journalistic reasons. The images can not be used for commercial use without the consent of the subject. It is nice when someone asks permission to take a photo, I have been asked a few times and have always consented.
The time I remember best was a few years ago when I went to a gathering of Emerald City in Seattle, we were having dinner when a bachelorette party came through and the girls asked to be photogaphed with us, it was good fun for both groups of girls.

Melanie R
04-25-2009, 03:44 PM
On everyone of our past 37 crossdressing cruises, our group on a formal night before dinner is posed by the ship's photographer usually on the atrium circular stairs. As we wait for the pictures to be taken there are always at least 100+ other passengers taking pictures and often asking us to pose with them for photos. This is called educating the public. Our group is usually the best dressed of any group and very dignified. We will do it again on our upcoming May 10 Alaska cruise out of Seattle. Unfortunately the cruise is sold out.

deja true
04-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Oh Lordy! I absolutely hated being made to pose for piccies with that crowd of horribly ugly and bad mannered young women at the bachelorette party in that club in Manhattan last summer...

Oh yeah...hated it.....:D

Deedee Dupree
04-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Hi Melanie, I have been aware of the Dignity Cruises(right?) for a long time and when I fully retire (soon) I would love to attend one of them. Been on my short list of things to do as well as the NOTG. Read the book too, many thanks to you and your SO for that... very helpful. dd

On everyone of our past 37 crossdressing cruises, our group on a formal night before dinner is posed by the ship's photographer usually on the atrium circular stairs. As we wait for the pictures to be taken there are always at least 100+ other passengers taking pictures and often asking us to pose with them for photos. This is called educating the public. Our group is usually the best dressed of any group and very dignified. We will do it again on our upcoming May 10 Alaska cruise out of Seattle. Unfortunately the cruise is sold out.

CharleneT
04-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Well, I did not take it as rude, my friends did. When I am out I notice a lot folks taking my picture. Some try to be subtle, some don't. I do not worry about it, and do think of it as educational outreach. Hence why I try and be kind and smile when I am asked to pose with people. I hope that by posing with me, they will be a *tiny* bit more accepting of CD/TG/TS folks. Last month there was one who was pretty clearly thinking of me as a unique item ( ok, freak ) and his friends were smirking as they took the picture. SO, I kissed him as they took the pix -- right on the old lips -- and then off to dance. He deserved it ;)

Nope... and they couldn't afford my modelling rates... lol ;)

I WISH they would pay my std modeling rate !! BUT these are just bar pix and I seriously doubt many look very good ( harsh flash light in a dark tunnel...).

IF they wanted something nice or artistic, then it would cost
'em real ducats.

TommiTN
04-25-2009, 07:01 PM
"SO, I kissed him as they took the pix -- right on the old lips -- and then off to dance. He deserved it."

:rofl: Way kewl, Charlene! I love it!!!

Butterfly Bill
04-25-2009, 11:13 PM
This happens all the time when I go to Renaissance fairs. I always let them do it. My only complaint is that I never get to get any copies.

docrobbysherry
04-26-2009, 12:40 AM
I don't think it is rude if people ask if they can photograph. I think it is rude if people take pictures without asking.

In my entire male life, I can't remember a stranger asking to take my pic! Nor am I aware of anyone "sneaking" a pic of me.:brolleyes:

If I EVER go out dressed, I would NOT WANT ANY STRANGERS taking pics of me, PERIOD!:Angry3:

sterling12
04-26-2009, 01:49 AM
After a reasonable approach, followed by some some friendly conversation; I have been asked on several occasions if a pic would be all right. I almost always agree to pose with the folks asking, usually younger women. If someone just came up to me and asked for a pic point blank, I would probably refuse. If they want candid snaps like that....they can go take pictures at The Zoo. I am not a performing bear!

My Support Group always takes lots of photo's at events. For those who do not want them posted to our Yahoo Group, or on our public site, we provide them with a name tag in red. This system warns Joann (our usual photographer...and a lot of you know her,) that a picture is verboten! That seems to solve that problem.

It's only common sense, and common courtesy; whether a person is in public or not, whether you can grab a shot with your cell phone, NO PERMISSION.....NO PICTURE!

Peace and Love, Joanie

Sally24
04-26-2009, 06:40 AM
Even in big cities it happens often. Usually it's the young women but not always. Some TS girls get a little tired of it at some point and refuse. Most T-girls however like the attention of the camera.

I actually find that it's not the "freak show" thing at all. Until recently I didn't get asked individually to pose, just as part of the overall group. Some of my younger, and prettier friends got asked all the time to pose. Lately I've begun to get those same requests as I've gotten better with my presentation and a little more stylish with my choices of club wear. I think they really love the sexy look of an attractive t-girl.

How can it be rude? They asked, you said yes, nuff said.

Brooke Smith
04-26-2009, 07:02 AM
One last thing to keep in mind and it's important to some of us: If you don't what to show up on the web,and I mean forever, don't let anyone take your picture.

Nicki B
04-26-2009, 07:03 AM

Yes... And no? :)

Leslie Mary S
04-26-2009, 12:28 PM
Nope, never been asked to pose with anyone except when I am with a group of 'girls'.
I am a professional photographer and I know the rules. I even carry release contracts in my portfolio. I have two types of contracts, adult and youth.

Kaylee 85
04-26-2009, 01:28 PM
You know, I was down in Fort Lauderdale not too long ago and this guy asked to get a pic. I figured there wasn't any harm and we were all having fun so I sayd ok. Turns out he was a photographer for out (a gay lifestyle magazine) and I ended up in it! If you want to keep your alter ego a secret you should ask the camera wielding stranger if the photo will be published next time. I didn't mind personally, actually I was glad and showed my friends how famous I was but not everyone wants that kind of recognition.

TxKimberly
04-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Would you believe that for all the time I spend out in the world I've never had anyone except other Tgirls I was hanging with as for a pic? I feel cheated now!

Leslie Mary S
04-26-2009, 02:30 PM
snip . . . I feel cheated now!
Kim you are so darn good looking. Maybe you 'present' too well and none realize that you are even remotely a man or someone special other than being you.
This, in it's own right, is a complement of you and your efforts.

Sally24
04-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Would you believe that for all the time I spend out in the world I've never had anyone except other Tgirls I was hanging with as for a pic? I feel cheated now!
I would suspect many thought you were a GG hanging out with the gurls! Take it as a compliment.

victoriamwilliams1
04-26-2009, 03:04 PM
I never had that happen to me either. Now a days they can just use a camera phone to get your picture without asking:)

CharleneT
04-26-2009, 05:24 PM
I never had that happen to me either. Now a days they can just use a camera phone to get your picture without asking:)

Yup, they sure do ! I have that happen a lot as well.

Kim: You probably are in places where there are more polite folks ! The bars here are full of college students.

I think that this a measure of passing in a way, they definitely have read me, hence why they want the pictures. I DO think of it as a compliment in that they think I look interesting enough they want to have a picture with me. Often the women put their arms around me etc...in a friendly way. As I mentioned at first, it doesn't bother me much, but the folks from the local GLBT group I was with thought it was rude.

TxKimberly
04-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Kim you are so darn good looking. Maybe you 'present' too well and none realize that you are even remotely a man or someone special other than being you.
This, in it's own right, is a complement of you and your efforts.

I would suspect many thought you were a GG hanging out with the gurls! Take it as a compliment.

Yeah Yeah, I like the way y'all think! lol

Deedee Dupree
04-26-2009, 05:58 PM
Hi K,

You are so good at passing
and have such a great attitude that although you might LIKE to be in the spotlight, they don't know they just saw a STAR.

dd

(shameless flattery)

Brina Halloween
04-26-2009, 06:05 PM
First year at Halloween, posed with a lot of different friends. A few months later, two of them decided to get married...can you believe she posted a picture of me with them in a dress :brolleyes:. I probably should see if her wedding website is still there :D

Dawn Marie
04-26-2009, 09:05 PM
I have been asked on several occasions to have my picture taken with someone or a group and I never thought it was rude, They at the time just could not believe me that I was male. And I thought it kind of flattering to be thought of as a female. Most of the people that I have meet were very polite and curtious towards me.

Shikyo
04-27-2009, 04:12 PM
Nope, never have I been asked to do that and doubt I'll ever be. There are benefits of being the one behind the camera, don't you agree?

KarenCDFL
04-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Awhile ago My wife and I went local Drag club in the area and I noticed some guy taking pictures with his phone. I mentioned this to the bartender and the guy was asked to stop. This kind of got me very mad since he did not ask permission. He eventually left.

Just something for his masturbatory fantasies I guess.

Nicki B
04-27-2009, 08:08 PM

Perhaps they just didn't ask? :sad:

ptp009
04-27-2009, 09:50 PM
Hey,

When I dress as a girl alot of people want to have photos taken with me, I'm not pretty but they have this ting they want to show their friends that while at a bar they met a TV, being frinedly can only help our cause and maybe we will appear on someone Christmas cardLOL!!

Miranda09
04-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Been thinking about this and have come to the conclusion that I wouldn't mind as long the reason why they were taking was in a complimentary sense and not a ..."oh, look at the CDer sense.." If you know what I mean.

CharleneT
04-27-2009, 10:59 PM
Hey,

When I dress as a girl alot of people want to have photos taken with me, I'm not pretty but they have this ting they want to show their friends that while at a bar they met a TV, being frinedly can only help our cause and maybe we will appear on someone Christmas cardLOL!!

I agree !! That is a good way to think of it. Maybe I should ask 'em to send me their Xmas card :D

Been thinking about this and have come to the conclusion that I wouldn't mind as long the reason why they were taking was in a complimentary sense and not a ..."oh, look at the CDer sense.." If you no what I mean.

I do know what you mean and agree completely ... problem is that you don't really know the why. Sometimes you can tell -- leering guy for example -- but most who have asked me were really normal looking and often girls. So who knows. I err on the side of trust in this case.

jo_ann
04-28-2009, 10:44 PM
it's only rude if they huff if you say no. the amish are very clear not to photograph them while they're working, people should have a say in it.. you never know what they intend on doing with those photos.

Sophie Lynne
04-28-2009, 11:07 PM
Kimberly can I have a pic? ;)