PDA

View Full Version : Wearing long skirts in crowded places can be a hazard. LOL!!

PrettyFlowingGown
04-27-2009, 04:46 AM
I went out for 2nd time saturday night to a gay pub which is cd/ts freindly. Even though I had a great time again, I learnt something really quick. If you are wearing a long flowing skirt in a crowded place. Watch no one steps or stands on your skirt when your sitting. At one point during the night I had to get up and go to the ladies, and as I was getting up, my skirt was getting pulled from under me. I'm lucky no one sawmy petticoat or knickers. LOL. As I looked around, there was a gay man standing on my skirt cause it was draped at the side of the chair. I asked him nicely to move, and he said "Sorry hun". But all in all, I had a great night. I met a new lesbian friend called Vera, who is keeping in contact and accepts me for what I am. Things are looking good for me.

Karren H
04-27-2009, 07:41 AM
I guess you'll just have to wear mini-skirts from now on.. For safety's sake!! :)

Angie G
04-27-2009, 08:10 AM
I've done that myself. Went to get up And I was standing on my skirt. It's also a hazard on stairs hun.:hugs:
Angie

PrettyFlowingGown
04-27-2009, 08:24 AM
Its going to be worse next time I go out. I'll be coming back from a formal night, and I'll be in a evening gown.

TxKimberly
04-27-2009, 08:28 AM
I guess you'll just have to wear mini-skirts from now on.. For safety's sake!! :)

Safety first you know! :)

susan2010
04-27-2009, 08:32 AM
You mean you're not supposed to show your petticoat and knickers??!! Oops!

Jenny Beth
04-27-2009, 08:42 AM
Long skirts are a hazard on stairs too. I have several long skirts that I have to hold up slightly when going up stairs or I trip on them. And you need both hands to hold them up so you can't carry things up the stairs or you'll break your neck. :doh:

Karren H
04-27-2009, 09:42 AM
Safety first you know! :)

Always!! I think I read a government study about skirt safety... I showed that lab rats wearing long skirts got injured more than lab rats I mini skirts!! (And had less fun btw... Lol)

I think they are writing skirt safety regulations as we speak.. :D

Sam-antha
04-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Karren, are you quite sure about the government stats ? That there is a significant difference in the two types or dressed rats. Was there not another catergory and that is the reason for the rewrite ? Lab subjects in denims and shorts ?
~Samm

Persephone
04-27-2009, 11:37 AM
Always!! I think I read a government study about skirt safety... I showed that lab rats wearing long skirts got injured more than lab rats I mini skirts!! (And had less fun btw... Lol)

I just read that same study! And it was the mini-skirted male rats that were having the most fun!

Seriously, I've never quite figured female fashion out completely. Last night I saw a group of four young girls walking down the street - one was wearing capris, one was wearing a miniskirt and two were wearing long dresses. That means it is officially summer. Except for formal occassions, I never see long skirts in the winter, only on "sundresses" in the summer. Can anyone explain that?

Stitch
04-27-2009, 12:00 PM
My partner has this really long Gothic skirt. By really long I mean its so long I could wear it as a dress as I'm only 5'1.

I've had to repair it for her the other day as it got a little ripped from being stepped on. When she last got back from a weekend away it seems she accidentally stepped on it again. :sad: Its one of her favourites but she's said its not really suitable for going out in unless your planning on wrapping yourself in cotton wool.

kathtx
04-27-2009, 12:49 PM

I think they are writing skirt safety regulations as we speak.. :D

Karren and Kimberly, as engineers surely you know it's important to take a systems approach to safety. Short skirts may be safer for the wearer of the skirt, but when worn by pedestrians they have been shown to be detrimental to the safety of nearby drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians. Very short skirts on pedestrians are known to cause spontaneous failure in the steering systems of nearby automobiles. The induced steering failure rate increases by 15% for every inch of heel height; a short skirt with 4" heels is a serious road hazard.

jenna_woods
04-27-2009, 12:57 PM
yes short skirts are safer not to trip overm but I do love my long skirts too.

Miranda09
04-27-2009, 01:01 PM
That's why I dont like long skirts or dresses!!! The shorter the better!!!! :)

AliciaWeb
04-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Oh dear! If the Health and Safety Executive get hold of this thread they will ban long skirts as a hazard to the wearer and miniskirts as a hazard to others. Everyone will have to dress middle age middle class - ugh!

Deedee Dupree
04-27-2009, 02:04 PM
pardon me for this...

I ride the iron worm
packed ceiling to floor
it chews my skirt off
with it's doors

dd

Christina Horton
04-27-2009, 02:50 PM
You must think of the short mini skirts are not to safe ether. Here's the sit rep, your wearing a short light mini skirt that's flars out , you out side , lots of people around you , a gust of wind comes creeping up behind you , you don't see it , then ............ Whosh , your mini skirt trys to become your head band , you quickly move your hands down , but it's to late , your shirt is now your new head band. You run to the ladys room and tell your skirt to behave , but it laughs at you and says ," just you wait the next time I will wait for a camera to be rolling ha haw harw." so you see mini skirts can be worse.

Persephone
04-27-2009, 03:23 PM
I ride the iron worm
packed ceiling to floor
it chews my skirt off
with it's doors

Shades of Digable Planets, Deedee!

A hundred years ago your lyrics were pretty much true! Fashionable women of the early 1900's wore "Hobble Skirts," long skirts that were around one yard wide at the bottom and that required very tiny steps.

It was pretty much impossible for a lady to climb steps without lifting her skirt and exposing, gasp!, her ankles!

As a result, the J.C. Brill Company, manufacturer of trolley cars ("the iron worm"), started producing special trolley cars with lower steps to accomodate the demands of hobble skirted women. Incidentally, this also benefitted the elderly as well as small children.

These reduced step cars were ordered by cities all over the country. New York ordered a number of these new trolley cars in 1910 and they were in operation by 1912 (click here and find picture about 3/4 down the page) (http://www.historythroughphotos.com/NYC_MT/index.shtml). The city of Washington, D.C. ordered theirs a few years later, almost too late to be of any good to their tightly skirted patrons,(click here) (http://www.shorpy.com/node/4325).

Perhaps the most amazing public accomodation took place in Oregon City, Oregon. Since the city is built on two levels, they built a special elevator (click here) (http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/United_States_of_America/Oregon/Oregon_City-852888/Transportation-Oregon_City-BR-1.html)to go from one level to the other so that women in hobble skirts would not have to attempt to climb the existing staircases!

Oregon City remains prepared for longer skirts as a public elevator remains in operation to this day.

Here's a wonderful article from the New York Times for January 7, 1912 about how women will once again have to learn how to take feminine steps and walk gracefully (click here) (http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9C02E3D6113CE633A25754C0A9679C946396D6CF).

Deedee Dupree
04-27-2009, 03:34 PM
Thanks for that, Persephone! I enjoyed reading....didn't know about Brill MFG. I was refering to the NYC subway<laugh> Well, I give them credit for perdicting my coining the term.

Thanks for that
Shades of Digable Planets, Deedee!

A hundred years ago your lyrics were pretty much true! Fashionable women of the early 1900's wore "Hobble Skirts," long skirts that were around one yard wide at the bottom and that required very tiny steps.

It was pretty much impossible for a lady to climb steps without lifting her skirt and exposing, gasp!, her ankles!

As a result, the J.C. Brill Company, manufacturer of trolley cars ("the iron worm"), started producing special trolley cars with lower steps to accomodate the demands of hobble skirted women. Incidentally, this also benefitted the elderly as well as small children.

These reduced step cars were ordered by cities all over the country. New York ordered a number of these new trolley cars in 1910 and they were in operation by 1912 (click here and find picture about 3/4 down the page) (http://www.historythroughphotos.com/NYC_MT/index.shtml). The city of Washington, D.C. ordered theirs a few years later, almost too late to be of any good to their tightly skirted patrons,(click here) (http://www.shorpy.com/node/4325).

Perhaps the most amazing public accomodation took place in Oregon City, Oregon. Since the city is built on two levels, they built a special elevator (click here) (http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/North_America/United_States_of_America/Oregon/Oregon_City-852888/Transportation-Oregon_City-BR-1.html)to go from one level to the other so that women in hobble skirts would not have to attempt to climb the existing staircases!

Oregon City remains prepared for longer skirts as a public elevator remains in operation to this day.

Here's a wonderful article from the New York Times for January 7, 1912 about how women will once again have to learn how to take feminine steps and walk gracefully (click here) (http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9C02E3D6113CE633A25754C0A9679C946396D6CF).

Persephone
04-27-2009, 05:14 PM
Thanks for that, Persephone! I enjoyed reading....didn't know about Brill MFG. I was refering to the NYC subway<laugh> Well, I give them credit for perdicting my coining the term.

Ooops! No! My fault! I was drawing the comparison between their trolley cars and your poem about "the iron worm." They did not call their trolly cars that!

I understood that you were referring to the public transportation system in NY or some other major city.

Sorry!