PDA

View Full Version : I've got a bit of a problem

Amalia
04-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Hi, everyone

okay so here's my situation My semester is coming to an end and like normally around this time year i start getting ready to head back to flagstaff for the summer where i stay with my parents. Now normally this isn't a huge problem but over the past school year I've acquired quite a bit of clothing and shoes (I've got a large duffel bag of cloths and a large back pack full of shoes when i pack it all up).
I've also become really accustomed to dressing about once a week and occasionally heading out to the mall. Now Flagstaff isn't the biggest city in the world and i actually know people as apposed to where i live during the school year. And I'm not sure how i should really deal with this it's got me a little worried my parents wouldn't be really open to this kinda thing.

sorry if this jumps around a little and is a little incoherent I'm not a very linear thinker lol

Miranda09
04-28-2009, 11:08 AM
Hi Amalia. Do you have a friend you can trust with your extra things while you're at home?

Leslie Mary S
04-28-2009, 11:13 AM
Well as I see it most of your 'kit' will have to be kept in the trunk or storage. Get a box or two and put your school books at the top. then some of your guy things.
Mom will want to wash your things. Have some guy things ready to be washed. Then tell here the rest you did at the school/dorm so as to not have them stored all summer and becoming stinky/mildewy.

See if you can find a local sympathetic friend to 'hang with'. Like a girl friend / study mate or someone you are helping to tutor through the summer. Some reason to be out of the house at all sorts of hours.

DonnaT
04-28-2009, 11:20 AM
Keep a lock on your bags so your parents can't open them.

Dress when they are out.

You can keep an outfit ironed and hang it under a coat in your closet.

Hopefully you'll have a car to get around in. If so, you could run down to Phoenix, if you're worried about being out in Flagstaff.

Karren H
04-28-2009, 11:23 AM
Your watching them for your girlfriend who.... Ahhhh.... Had to go to Guatamala for the summer!! Yeah!!

Angie Richards
04-28-2009, 11:29 AM
"OMG! I grabbed my neighbor's stuff by mistake. See, we were packing at the same time and all- I guess they just got mixed up! Gee, it looks like I don't have any of my own clothes at all. What am I gonna wear, mom?"

Maybe I have been reading too much CD fiction...

Amalia
04-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the advice i'd thought about heading to other towns but I gotta come up with some kinda decent exuse...

The girlfriend exuse honestly would probably work if my parents actually believed I had one lol

I guess I could convince a friend to help me out I gotta think who'd be okay with it as I'm only out to one friend and him keeping stuff for me might actually be worse (he honestly porbably would help me out)

Jessica Who
04-28-2009, 12:04 PM
When I would come home during college, I kept my clothes in a Chicago Bears Bag. My parents never bothered asking what was in it so I was always in the clear.

Have you thought of sharing with your parents? Just a thought, no pressure. I told my mom over last Christmas break and she took it wonderfully. Good luck

Amalia
04-28-2009, 12:13 PM
Yeah I've thought about coming out to them but I'm pretty sure my parents already have a har enough time dealing with the fact that I'm an introvert so I'm pretty sure they'd take it the wrong way lol

I've kept my make upbag in plain view for a while now in sorta the same way I keep it all in an old us army gas mask holster thing lol.

Dressing Jill
04-28-2009, 12:15 PM
Omg I just realized how sneaky we are. LOL.......

Yes dear do what ever it takes. Don't forget who you are that is so important, a rare gift here on planet earth. You have just begun to explore yourself.

Hugs

Jill

SANDRA MICHELLE
04-28-2009, 01:10 PM
Is there a local bowling alley where you an get a storage locker for your bowling shoes and bag which in your case would actually be your fem clothes. You can also find a locker at the mall some times.

Sally2005
04-28-2009, 01:13 PM
Don't tell them you have a girlfriend, they will want to meet her. Just put a label on the bag and write a girl's name on it and instead of saying she is your girlfriend, just say she is a friend, nothing more and she helped you with something so you are returning the favor because she is travelling now and has no place to store her stuff and has asked a couple friends...and sigh, you gotta do what you gotta do.

Cary
04-28-2009, 01:23 PM
Don't tell them you have a girlfriend, they will want to meet her. Just put a label on the bag and write a girl's name on it and instead of saying she is your girlfriend, just say she is a friend, nothing more and she helped you with something so you are returning the favor because she is travelling now and has no place to store her stuff and has asked a couple friends...and sigh, you gotta do what you gotta do.

I like this ideal! Good Luck!

Christina Horton
04-28-2009, 03:27 PM
you could tell them you and your school friends are involved with a big scavenger hunt and it will you will find out who wins when you go back to school LOL. Think they'd buy that?

Prissy Linda
04-28-2009, 03:50 PM
Your watching them for your girlfriend who.... Ahhhh.... Had to go to Guatamala for the summer!! Yeah!!

Sounds like a winner... You worry me Karren,lol.

AshleyCDFL
04-28-2009, 03:58 PM
Not sure your parents would be rummaging through your stuff, but there are things you can do to minimize this. As you've been away at college you have probably become fairly self sufficient, so do your own laundry, keep your room, clean, etc. and your parents will have no reason to go in there. If your mom offers to do your laundry, just tell her you've grown accustomed to doing it on your own since you've been away. As for going out, maybe you'll have to shelf that for the summer if you don't want to be found out.... I think you're worrying too much about it personally, but then, my parents pretty much just left me alone so it was never an issue.

Brina Halloween
04-28-2009, 04:39 PM
I suspect malls and bowling alleys check the lockers once in a while. Those are supposed to be short term usually.A U-store-it might be the key, especially if you have other stuff you don't want to drag home.

While purging is a horrible idea, you might review stuff for things that don't match your style now or have become worn. I suspect detection by mass of things is similar to the number of people told, squared and not linear.

You mentioned being an introvert, well if you made any friends in other towns nearby I suggest keeping in touch. It sounds like your parents would not object to you visiting them and who says you have to come straight home? I like dancing and friends and I use to travel to other towns to dance (still do, mostly entire weekends now). Sci-fi, Manga and other things have conventions. Look at your hobbies and find something nearby but not in town.

I do wonder how well those space bags shrink stuff by volume. 1/2 duffel would be easier to make inconspicious. My luggage mexes out in weight before it runs out of room so no personal need to find out.

Good luck

Magickman
04-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Oh, what a tangled web we weave,

When first we practice to deceive.

Sophie Lynne
04-28-2009, 04:49 PM
I would keep the bags buried in the closet or under the bed.

KarenS
04-28-2009, 05:15 PM
Ahhh, This duffle fell into my car as I was going under an interstate overpass...

Rent a storage unit.

Dig and cover it in a fox hole. You can be a fox again next semester.
:hugs:

Carly D.
04-28-2009, 05:25 PM
UUMMM What's your shoe size?? you could send the shoes to me and I could watch out for them... make sure they aren't lonely by wearing them every now and then and of course worshiping them for the greatness they are... that sounds weird.. never mind..

Tina B.
04-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Yes space bags do work, they will make a big pile small, and keep it clean and fresh to boot. most storage locker places have small size lockers that are not to expensive, and you can get in to them any time during business hours. Trunk of your car works if you have one. Good luck with your problem and enjoy the summer!
Tina

Rachel B
04-28-2009, 06:00 PM
Stick the clothes in a rolled up carpet, wait till the dead of night and sneak out into the garden and dig a hole. Make just enough noise so that your parents will peak out the curtains to see what you're up to!

Sneak back into the house and dont say a word. Pretty sure you're parents wont question you about it, but if they do, dig it up and tell them. They'll be so happy that it's not a body in there they'll accept everything. Jobs a good'un ;)

Stephanie Miller
04-28-2009, 06:22 PM
I'm down in Phoenix Amalia and it wouldn't be a problem to stuff a couple bags in my garage for you till fall - that is if you can't find anyone else on the board that lives in Flag to do it for you.
And by the way..... what size do you wear? :cute: (Just kidding. That's all I need is to take up more closet space. The wife would kill me. :Pullhair:)

Stephanie-L
04-28-2009, 06:30 PM
Check with your local U-store place. The one where I store my stuff has lockers approx 3x3x5 for about 9$ a month. Depending on your situation you could rent one either near your school, or near home. There would be advantages or disadvantages to either. Or if you get serious you can rent a 5x10 locker like I do, I have it set up as a closet with a makeup table, multiple clothes racks, huge shoe rack, wig stands,a chair, and a mirror. The only problem is the lighting isn't great....Stephanie

Alice Green
04-28-2009, 07:24 PM
I would say put a lock on your bag and hope your parents don’t ask about it. Do you have nosey parents? If you do that could be a problem, if not then you should be able to get away with it. As for getting out dressed I’m not sure how to go about that other then get out to a neighboring city which again I know you’ll need a good excuse to get out. Good luck and I hope every thing works out for you.

PretzelGirl
04-28-2009, 08:33 PM
Don't tell them you have a girlfriend, they will want to meet her. Just put a label on the bag and write a girl's name on it

I would think something like "Amalia" would work! :D

Crysten
04-28-2009, 08:41 PM
Maybe some kind hearted person here on the forums wouldn't mind storing a couple of boxes for a few months. I certainly wouldn't mind, but I'm a long way from AZ so maybe someone closer.

Best of luck :)

Crysten

Noel Chimes
04-29-2009, 07:58 AM
I'm running into the same problem this year except that instead of me coming home, my daughters are coming for 2 months (hopefully). Before it was easy to keep everything tucked away in the basement, but now my cloths take up a full dresser. So I am putting in a call to my cousin who knows I dress and see if I can use that extra storage space he has in the garage until they leave. The good part about that is I can still go out from there and change back before going home. So check with your friend. They just might surprise you.
Oh and Karen; GO REDWINGS!!!!!!!!

Amalia
04-29-2009, 08:38 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice. Unfortunately i have an insanely nosy mum, she picked the lock on my older brothers chest just to see what was in it >.>.
I think i'm just gonna sneak the stuff in the back of my closet and hope we don't need to do any kind of remodeling in which case i'll just have to find another place to store it in the mean time... but i think if i'm confronted about it i think i will tell them the truth only because I don't like to lie to them.

Amalia
04-29-2009, 10:01 AM
lol i never thought about it like that actually