PDA

View Full Version : Do you dress for a appearance or do you just dress? (Closet CDers)

Cary
04-28-2009, 05:16 PM
I know that good appearance is the main objective for those brave ladies who go out dressed, but what about those of us who have never gone out? The only light to hit our dresses is from a lightbulb. Eventhough the only time I went out dressed was at night during a blackout, most days I still try to dress as if I was about to walk out the front door. It makes me feel whole seeing myself in an outfit that I might actually see a GG wearing. My question to my fellow closet CDers. Do you just dress any ol type of way or do you put some effert into it? I'm not talking about those of us who only wear one thing such as bras, panties, pantyhose, leotards,etc.

Rachel B
04-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Cary, looking at your pic, if that is a good example of how you look when dressed, I wouldnt have to many worries about presenting as a girl ;)

Before I started venturing out I had different moods. Sometimes I would just chuck on a skirt and tights/stockings. Other times it would be the whole hog. Lately I usually only go the whole hog, although the other day I just put on a skirt to relax in, but that was after a few months of no dressing at all.

I remember when I used to just wear things that would be easily removed/covered if anyone happened to walk in on me. :heehee:

linnea
04-28-2009, 05:55 PM
I strive to look my feminine best even if I'm staying at home; that's one of the main things that I enjoy.
If I'm staying at home to work in the garden, I wear garden-appropriate clothes. It's the same with house-work.

Deborah Jane
04-28-2009, 05:57 PM
I dress the full way every time

I don't do half measures with my C/Ding....It's all or nothing :)

curse within
04-28-2009, 06:06 PM
I am in a complete new enviorment living alone... I have found that after 20 plus years of supressing the urges I now have all the freedom to dress as I please ..

I would like to see how I would answer this in about 6 months from now due to the new phase I have found myself in.. I don't think I have grown more of a desire to being a woman but I have openly express the urges in my own time to act some out ( getting them out of the way I hope )...

I would have never dressed in this manner living in my past relationship so yes recently I have found myself going into the full effect ..

Alice B
04-28-2009, 06:55 PM
I always put effort into dressing and it is always to look good, even if it is only for myself. That is, for me, a part of the joy of dressing and putting on my make up, etc. The only problem is that it is then hard to stay away from the mirrors.:eek:

Alice Green
04-28-2009, 07:00 PM
I dress with what looks good in mind I’ve just really started so money is somewhat a factor and I am working up to going out and passing eventually.

msginaadoll
04-28-2009, 07:11 PM
Well in some ways I dress more and some ways less. I dont dress much at all at home like I use to. I use to just throw on a skirt, blouse, etc. That is no longer as satisfying to me. Now when I dress at friends I dress all the way, wig, makeup etc. I generally try to dress in what makes me feel sexxy. When I go out then I strive for a appropriate appearance for my age, depending on where im going.

Linda Laman
04-28-2009, 07:12 PM
I always dress as if I am going out even if I don't. I don't feel complete unless I go through the complete process of washing, shaving, selecting the right outfit, dressing, make-up, shoes and perhaps a dash of perfume. And I do like to look at myself in the mirror.

Deanna2
04-28-2009, 07:16 PM
If I'm just hanging around home I'll wear just a cami and mini skirt because it's comfortable and I enjoy it.

TGMarla
04-28-2009, 07:22 PM
When I dress, it's to look my very best. The only thing is that when I dress during weekdays, I go without eye makeup and fingernails. It's just too much of a hassle to put on and take off when dressing for only a short while. When I have a greater amount of time on my hands, I go the whole nine yards whether I'm going out or staying in. For me, much of the allure is getting to look this way, and so looking the best I can is very appealing to me.

PretzelGirl
04-28-2009, 08:30 PM
I am happy to get dressed most of the time, so I have levels.

First is just putting on an outfit that fits my mood (and maybe my planned activities).

Second, time allowing, is to do something with my hair. I am still in the play around and see what I can do with it stage, so sometimes it just ends up being straightened to get rid of a mess I created.

Last is the make-up. This is fairly rare as I not only need a good gap in time in my hectic life, but I also want to be reasonably sure my daughter won't be coming home. Not that I plan to get caught, but I try to avoid being in the bedroom for a 1/2 hour every time she gets home.

Paulette
04-28-2009, 08:36 PM
I change into my femme clothes after taking off my suit and tie and I always go all the way so that if someone comes to the door I can answer it if I need too. Also at my age, heaven forbid I might need to be rushed to the doctor; I would not want to show up as a man dressed as a female.

Last night I changed into a new blouse which had a deep V front and I could see just a little bit of my bra. After a few minutes of trying to adjust my top so that bra was not showing, I got up and put a cami on under the blouse. Felt much better and enjoyed cooking my dinner and watching TV for a couple of hours. Decided to get ready for bed and changed into my nightie and slippers for the last TV show be for slipping into bed.

Carla5148
04-28-2009, 08:36 PM
I dress to be most convincing even when I just stay in the house. I have only ventured out once for a limited stroll. At home, I just keep trying to do better with my makeup and my shape. I definitely want the whole outfit to go well together.

Elizebeth
04-28-2009, 08:44 PM
I try my best to look as good I can.

Alice Torn
04-28-2009, 08:49 PM
I never had a full wardrobe, until 3 yrs ago. I only dress up fully, now, wig, makeup, heels, hose, and all. I do not like seeing myself partially dressed--a guy in a dress. Its all or none, as I dress to be a classy lady. During cold winter nights, sometimes i wear tights, or PH to bed.

Jessica Who
04-28-2009, 08:51 PM
I've never ventured outside of my house but when I can I go all out from head to toe with my dressing. Sometimes I take pictures but I always try my best when dressing up.

Carly D.
04-28-2009, 11:27 PM
I'm the oddity here I'm guessing.. I dress sort of.. which is to say when the mood and the feeling mesh I dress to the hilt (total cross dress).. but that happens every now and then.. mostly I dress in pantyhose or tights and a skirt and heels of some sort.. sometimes just heels (like right now) but I try to wear something fem related everyday.. oh, I forgot, I'm wearing a bra right now too..

Miranda09
04-28-2009, 11:37 PM
I usually put some effort into it if I'm going to dress all day. If I'm going to do it, I want to look as good as I can. For me, that's part of the fun...and I've never taken it out of the house, tho I did get brave today and stepped out the front door to grab a package while enfemme! For me, that was daring!!! :)

Crissy Kay
04-29-2009, 06:49 AM

Deborah jane sums it up for me too!!! Either I dress up fully, or I don"t dress up at all.

Sarah_new
04-29-2009, 07:06 AM
When I started I was definitly in the just dress camp. However nowadays I try and put together more of a look. Whether I succeed or not is another question.

Dressing Jill
04-29-2009, 07:43 AM
I dress completely. It is not always formal. I have garden clothes, cleaning clothes my maid outfit is so comfy, ETC.....

I don't always put all the make up. Sometimes just libs and eyes.

Always Shoes.

Hugs

Jill

Mary Jane
04-29-2009, 07:57 AM
I always dress in ways that would be appropriate if I went out in public. I see no sense for ME to dress unless I can go with the full treatment each time.

StaceyJane
04-29-2009, 08:05 AM
I usually put on an entire outfit complete with heels. It might be a bit much just for surfing the net but I feel really good while dressed up.

Sakura Rini
04-29-2009, 08:16 AM
im in the closet, so i only dress up for myself but i do take photos of myself and post them on here sometimes

sabrina mercedes
04-29-2009, 02:29 PM
I don't get the chance to be Sabrina often.
When I do, I want to dress as close to reality as possible.
I enjoy seeing a woman, or as close as I can come, looking at me in the mirror.
The joy of getting ready, dressed, doing my make-up, trying each time to get better with my appearance and mannerisms.
Being as close to "real" is important. It is so satisfying.

Carola
04-29-2009, 03:30 PM
Formerly, i did it when i could fur since a couple of years (i live alone now) i'm puting a lot of effort to acomplished a nicer and more feminine look. Anyway, i'm never fully satisfied with my achievements but who really is?

stephaniedoes
04-29-2009, 03:47 PM
well i dress like im going out to a show, i put a ton of pride into myself to make myself look fantastic. i do it for me. if i could go out like that people would be in ahhh. i have a time or 2 gotten pretty upset with woman out there that have just let themselves go, i cannot believe they do that, some have no pride whatsoever and it sometimes bothers me. i take great pride and dont understand those that dont get shunned by society why they dont make themselves beautiful. i take hours to get ready and then i walk around my house hoping no1 comes to my door or sees me threw a window, wish it wasnt that way but it is for now.. i think i could give a lesson or 2 to some ladies out there..

Ellen James
04-29-2009, 05:08 PM
I'm really only just beginning and really am not sure I am interested in going out en femme - though some of the outings reported here sound like fun or a group outing would be tempting. But even if I stay home I would like to look my best. In fact, I dressed the other night - panties, stockings, bra, and a black jersey dress and was looking in the mirror to take some pictures until I looked and realized that I was seeing a guy in a dress.

This was depressing enough that for a while I considered giving up on the whole thing, especially compared to how well so many of the ladies here look in their photos. But I finally decided that no, I didn't want to give up but perhaps I should focus on each aspect that disappointed me and work on improving it - losing some weight and getting fitter, finding a friendly shop to get a good wig, some serious effort on makeup, and picking out some appropriate clothes that fit properly - all of which I think I can do with the examples and help provided here. So, today I started to properly care for my nails and let them grow out a bit -
Anyway, a longwinded way of saying - I like to look my best no matter what I'm wearing and whether I'm Ellen - or not.

docrobbysherry
04-29-2009, 06:52 PM

I take it UP about 5 more notches! So much so, that I CAN'T go out dressed as she, and others can!:sad:

On the other hand, closet CDs, that dress like I do,
DON'T EVER HAVE TO CONSIDER WHAT THEY LOOK LIKE TO OTHERS!:D

tashaly
04-29-2009, 07:46 PM
I have to say, when I first put on makeup, I was, "OMG! Who's that cutie in the mirror?" So I feel half-assed if I'm not wearing it (or a wig or heels, etc.). I guess it's a matter of how deep you want to get into the role. And if you're not going to go out, what you want is pretty all that matters, right?

sexxynikki83
04-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Time is the biggest factor for me. If i only have an hour it's just a skirt and heels....if i have a whole evening it's all out!

Sally2005
04-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Yes, to going all out even from the start of time. I just never had the knowledge or means to do it when I was younger.

Carly D.
04-29-2009, 10:56 PM
I'm the oddity here I'm guessing.. I dress sort of.. which is to say when the mood and the feeling mesh I dress to the hilt (total cross dress).. but that happens every now and then.. mostly I dress in pantyhose or tights and a skirt and heels of some sort.. sometimes just heels (like right now) but I try to wear something fem related everyday.. oh, I forgot, I'm wearing a bra right now too..

I guess I should say that I dress in whatever I dress in for the feeling of what the clothes feel like.. less to pass because here at home I don't have to pass.. and when I did go out it was late at night.. and no one could tell that he was there as me.. did that make sense??

Tina B.
04-30-2009, 01:59 PM
It ain't over till it's all done! Playing with make up is half the fun. Just got to do it all!
Tina

KimberlyS
04-30-2009, 06:33 PM
When I go out and about enfemme I dress to blend but I am on the dressier or more feminine end of the GG's that are where I am at. When I am at home I am still on the more feminine end clothing wise, but no make up or wig. And I am usually doing tasks around the house.

kim

Jenniferpl
04-30-2009, 09:10 PM
It is the relaxing that does it for me. I love getting girly. Nothing better than wearing a sexy bra, mini skirt, some hot boots and lipstick.

Lacy PJs
05-02-2009, 08:33 AM
I guess I'm in the minority here on this question. Probably the thing I like most is the feeling of the clothing so I tend to be more "tactile" than others. Girl jeans don't interest me because they feel just like guy jeans for example.

Besides, I take one look at this body in the mirror and I know I'd never fool anyone nor do I have a desire to fool anyone. So... As Lacy, I'm usually comfortable with a babydoll sometimes at night, some tights & a leotard from time to time, etc. While I'd like to get a few more things, it's not to pass or anything else... to me, it's mostly about the feel so I'm perfectly content with a few fem items when I dress.

Lacy PJs

xAnne_Mariex
05-02-2009, 08:51 AM
When I first started I wouldnt really put much effort into it, i'd just put on a skirt and some tights and leave it at that, but now I always try to look my best when I dress up, I don't like putting on a nice outfit and looking in the mirror with no make-up on, it ruins it for me.

Cassiecd
05-02-2009, 10:16 AM
Wow, I am kind of surprised at all the closet girls who go all out all the time.

I am a closet girl and also in the minority with Carly and Lacy pjs.

My answer is: "it depends"....how much time do I have? what do i want to feel, etc.

At times I just like the tactile feel of the clothes and hair so I will dress with no make up or jewelry and revel in the sensations without ever looking in a mirror. Besides, I cannot look at my own face! I might just roll out of bed and slip on my wig and a nice satin robe to check my e mail. This is probably the majority of times I dress.

Other times I dress and want to go all out and look as passable as possible. It takes practice with makeup so now is the time! I will go this route if I have alot of time or I have a new dress to try on and want to see how it looks. Then I go all out, and might take a few pictures.

corrinediane
05-02-2009, 10:21 AM
When I do dress (which is not often enough) I prefer to go for appearance. Whats looking back at me in the mirror needs to be pleasing. The fit of the clothes, best heels for the outfit, my hair (wig of course), jewelry etc. Love skinny jeans and heels, does wonders for my butt. Nice flowey top that hide my lack of curves is working for me at the moment. Like everything else, that will change as my taste change. Then at night I don't put much effort into it. Just a sleep shirt or cami or what ever I feel like. Then there are the days when too much is going on and a pair of panties will have to do under my guy clothes. So I guess it's whatver I can get away with at the time.

Crystal Alberta
05-02-2009, 12:31 PM
For me, it's changed since I got a wig and started taking photos. At one time, I was comfortable just wearing a couple of femme things, lounging around home, and leaving it at that. But now, at least most of the time, it's all or nothing. For whatever reason, I just don't feel "complete" unless I'm looking as good as I can.

Crystal

Ralph
05-02-2009, 11:59 PM
After 30+ years of dressing, I'm still at the starting gate. I'm content just throwing on a soft dress, skirt/blouse, or nightgown; pantyhose if it's chilly, or on really cold days layers with leotards, full slip, tights, and maxi dress. I don't take pictures and don't go out, so I don't really care what it looks like as long as I'm comfortable.

ralph

PeggySue
05-03-2009, 06:51 AM
I normally go all out or not at all. The amount of make up is really the only variable. I do have a sweat suit that can be taken as either male or female which I will wear in male mode at times. I like looking and feeling younger, so why not dress all the way as femme?

Jaydee
05-03-2009, 07:17 AM
I guess I am in the minority also. I don't go out. I haven't tried a wig or makeup. When I get the chance to dress, it is panties, pantyhose, bra, skirt, top and heels. I try to wear age appropriate clothing and coordinate the clothes. I prefer stylish fashions when I can get them on sale or at a thrift store. Someday I may want to do more, but right now I am happy with where I presently am on the CD continuum.

Jaydee

Raychel
05-03-2009, 07:39 AM
The only person that I am really out to is my wife, She prefers not to see me dressed. So on the rare occasion that I do get to dress, I just dress how I like, The world will probably never see me anyway. So I just dress to make myself feel comfortible.

Teresa Macaw
05-03-2009, 07:58 AM
When I go out I dress modestly to fit in, at nite I dress up a bit bit on the fun side. At home anything goes as I won't go anywhere. I think it does the TG community great harm when we go out & look outrageous. Was out with 3 others in a big mall, some looked at us & took a secong look, other did not even notice us us & a few took a hard look. We dressed to fit in. My thoughts.

Faith_G
05-03-2009, 07:28 PM
I dress only in private, but if I'm home I'm wearing fem clothes. Most of the time I dress just to be comfortable, a glamorous appearance is not high on the list. My outfits look OK but not fancy, much of the time it's just jeans or a skirt with a sweater or a knit top. I'd probably blend in fine outside although I tend to wear heels a bit more often than a typical gg. I'm just not heavily into makeup so I look frightful from the neck up...

Vintage4sarah
05-04-2009, 05:34 AM
When I have that opportunity to dress as Sarah, I need to be complete. Going part way does not project the image that I want to feel physically and emotionally and also view in a mirror. When this chance happens just planning my wardrobe (be it vintage or modern), doing my make-up/hair, the cloths and the time spent as Sarah is worth of of the effort.

Georgia Rose
05-04-2009, 06:19 AM
I'm very much in the closet but feel best when I go the whole way especially make-up. If home alone it is usually the whole thing but on occasions when home with my wife I'll scrimp on some of the make-up usually the foundation and nails.
:drink:

dwyfronwen
05-04-2009, 06:36 AM
I make the effort in full every time as I feel that what one does must be done properly for full satisfaction. I try to look my best to myself as I would want to appear to others when venturing out. It may be only for a short time, as that is what`s available, but whetever it is 100%effort. En femme I am entirely clad in female garb and I also indulge in make up and my crowning glory. This way I can learn to correct minor faults and I do not become slovenly and maybe later omit a vital part that means passing or not. At 74 I still make the effort and enjoy my time as a lady: how i look makes how I feel much more satisfying.

Claire B
05-04-2009, 10:01 AM
I am a at home crossdresser. And I take my time when dressing. I don't dress for appearance, I dress as I feel the need to. Sometimes I will wear a dress, and other times I will wear a blouse and skirt. But when I do dress I dress from the skin out. From matching underwear, OBG or waist cincher, nylons and heels. So you could say that I dress to suit me.

Leslie Mary S
05-04-2009, 10:21 AM
I dress from the skin out to include make-up and wig. The only thing that I will start doing is when going out or wearing jean/slacks is tucking.
I normally wear a skirt and what with my frontal over hang (big belly) in a skirt the tucking is a waste. Over the next few months I hope to change that through diet and exercise.

Lorna
05-05-2009, 04:52 AM
Like a few others here, I have very limited opportunities to dress and a very limited wardrobe to choose from. The physical location and characteristics of my home even restrict the parts of the house I can safely go in to while dressed. Add to this the fact that it is the clothes I like rather than the whole business of make-up, hair, etc and also that I seldom have more than two hours to myself and it becomes clear that, at most, I dress fully (underwear, hosiery, shoes, dress or skirt and top) but if time is pressing it might be just a few items. So long as I can get the sensations of being in the female clothes I am content.

shesadvl
05-05-2009, 06:50 AM
I make the effort in full every time as I feel that what one does must be done properly for full satisfaction. I try to look my best to myself as I would want to appear to others when venturing out. It may be only for a short time, as that is what`s available, but whetever it is 100%effort. En femme I am entirely clad in female garb and I also indulge in make up and my crowning glory. This way I can learn to correct minor faults and I do not become slovenly and maybe later omit a vital part that means passing or not. At 74 I still make the effort and enjoy my time as a lady: how i look makes how I feel much more satisfying.

wow at 74 I think you are amazing as I said to my partner you look so good that it shows you put a 100% effort, the first thing I said when I saw your pic that you would pass anywhere... just simply amazing... and good for you.... way to go:rose2:

lesly mary s good for you too & all the best....

with my S/O I am accepting ,and he can dress when & as he feels.... in fact he was just now.....i was cracking up over a couple of things.....but then when i read that some of you are in the closet yer can smack me if yer like but he stands inside the closet dressed , hahahaha yeh im bad....but yes theres a mirror there on the inside of the door..... do you gurls do the same thing.....:devil: thats out but kinda still in the closet laffing....;o)

its a shame that not all are so fortunate, but i wish you all the best in your endeavours to be free to be yourselves.....:battingeyelashes:

Jan W
05-05-2009, 06:56 AM
I definitely put in the effort Cary.

Love to do the girly thing to the max of my ability.

If something is worth doing it is worth doing right! (at least as right as I can)

Jan

Berta82
05-05-2009, 10:37 AM
I dress for myself. I love the feeling of womens clothing and under attire. It makes me feel more comfortable. I also love to look at myself in the mirror while dressed, what a rush. I have dabbled in makeup and don't own a wig so for me its about the clothes.

Christine Andrews
05-05-2009, 11:20 AM
I'm deeply closeted and usually I'll dress 50/50 when it is safe, however I enjoy going all out (sadly minus wig/make-up) when I occaisionally get the house ot myself for more than a couple of hours.

Whilst look is somewhat important to me, feel is what is vital and I love the feeling of going all-out (as far as I can) even though no-one will ever see it because for that time I feel whole and whilst I may not look it, I feel normal too.

I do like my outfits to be appropriate of a woman my age (early 20's) which is a happy balance between skirts and jeans generally with an appropriate top.

Besides, just because I'm in the closet doesn't mean I shouldn't try - that implies I dress for someone else - I dress for me and how I dress expresses my feelings at a given time.

Cary
05-05-2009, 12:38 PM
I didn't know the closet was so big. I love all the responses. Please keep them coming.

ultraboy09
05-05-2009, 01:44 PM
I only closet dress. I'm married and live in a small town. Wife does not know. A female friend talked me into trying it one night 5 years ago, been hooked ever since. It makes me feel sexy and excited. I'm to ugly any way to pass like most of you girls that are beautiful!

Lacy PJs
05-05-2009, 08:44 PM
How many (like me) don't really like what they see when they look in the mirror in terms of appearance? I'd like to try the wig routine but can't imagine looking like anything other than a guy in a wig. Given my height & build, I just don't look ladylike fron the get-go. So I don't try for "the look" because I feel it is beyond me.

Lacy PJs

serina lopez
05-05-2009, 09:22 PM
i think u have to dress like u feel. most of us feel sexy and try to dress as such. we need to get past the lingerie stag and dress more as a feminine creature!

Cary
05-05-2009, 09:50 PM
How many (like me) don't really like what they see when they look in the mirror in terms of appearance? I'd like to try the wig routine but can't imagine looking like anything other than a guy in a wig. Given my height & build, I just don't look ladylike fron the get-go. So I don't try for "the look" because I feel it is beyond me.

Lacy PJs

Lacy, Don't shortchange yourself. GGs come in all shapes and sizes. I've seen some that look like a guy in a dress, but weren't. If you are happy and confident in who you are and with a little effort thrown in, you will be suprised what shows up in the mirror. I learned that this weekend during my first outting dressed(no wig or makeup). I still don't like what I see in the mirror, but I'm working to change the image looking back at me.

silkandsatincd
05-05-2009, 10:07 PM
I find that I am beginning to get a sense of style and starting to think about the type of clothes I would wear if I were to someday go out. Before it was mainly about looking very sexy, I only wore things that turned me on, usually something I would not feel comfortable wearing around other people. Now I put a little more thought into it. I try to buy clothes that will expand my wardrobe and allow me to dress the way I'm feeling at any given time. Either way I get great pleasure from dressing and maybe someday I will have the confidence and the look to go out in public and pass as a sexy & fit, athletic woman.

Suzy_French
05-05-2009, 10:46 PM
I just want to look good......its much more than just dressing for dressing sake.

darla_g
05-05-2009, 10:54 PM
In my mind either i put some effort into it or else i would rather not even bother. Its as simple as that.

RobertaFermina
05-06-2009, 12:12 AM
I dress to go out, then I go out.
Lately I haven't had much opportunity to go out.....so it's been all boy all the time.

:rose: Geesh! :rose:

TJ Tresa
05-06-2009, 12:53 AM
I don't go out of the house dressed, but I do have a couple of friends over from time to tiem that are cool with my cross dressing and when they come over I try my best to make my face up and wear something real nice. much the same way a real girl would do if having company. When I'm just dressing for me aorund the house I seldom use make up and often wear waht I have seen other women wear while kicking around the house.

dwyfronwen
05-06-2009, 10:46 AM
As I said earlier, every time I try 100% and I can look into the mirror and amaze myself sometimes. I am no skinny anorexic type at all. I farmed, played rugby as a prop for 26 seasons and did my time in uniform. Iam 210lbs and with shaping can become 49/39/50, size 22/24/26 depending on fit and cut. At 74 I also cope with anno domini. However I feel that I look OK and can go out and pass. If something is enjoyable it is worth doing well.
If at first you don`t succeed try, try, try again. Pretty as a picture? Love Bron

Gerard
05-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Depends.

Sometimes I crossdress to get aroused, then anything will do.

Sometimes I crossdress for comfort. Some of the stuff I have just feels nice.

Sometimes I want to look in a mirror and see how passable I can look.